/cog/ - Traditional & Video Gaming

Please consider donating! Thanks!

Thread stats: 304 posts, 44 files (43 image(s), 1 audio(s))

Toggle poster info Replying to /cog/199859 Close window
Options
Replies:>>199863
save file
image:146181666200.png(1.11MB , 1920x1200 , 1289001407961.png)
Nintendo General: No New Zelda Till NX Year Edition

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/725224978984083456

Last thread ==> >>196937
No.199861
Anonymous
Replies:>>199862
So another case of Twilight Princess, eh.
No.199862
Alpharius
>>199861
It's worse in one way. The gamecube had Windwaker (yes I know, Wii U HD re-release) and the Wii had Skyward Sword as 'exclusives' to their respective consoles. This would mean the WiiU has no traditional Zelda on it as an exclusive and would lead other zelda fans to be upset at the lack of a return of their 'investment' into the Wii U. I have a friend who refers to their Wii U as "that Splatoon and Sm4sh playing device". But, yes, another Twilight Princess.
Replies:>>199864
save file
image:146182784300.png(334kB , 600x600 , HOW DARE THEY NO LOBSTER.png)
>>199859
>https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/725224978984083456

>blue getup
>no lobster on it
You had one chance.........
No.199864
Anonymous
>>199863

could be on the back.
save file
image:146188031900.jpg(479kB , 1280x720 , WiiU_screenshot_TV_01C62.jpg)
Hammer Slam Bowser isn't recognized as Bowser...
No.199868
Anonymous
>>199866
Oh wow. When they say compatible amiibo, they mean it. And I was actually planning on picking up Skylander Donkey Kong to unlock his stages.
No.199873
T4 was here
>>199866
Aw man that sucks...
No.199875
F-ing
Replies:>>199876
They really gotta make an Amiibo game. Something like Infinity but Nintendo flavoured.

I, personally, was thinking they could make a 3D Mario Maker as a sequel to the 2D version. With a level creator a la Minecraft, and a limited little space to get creative, and you could make it for different characters who each have unique abilities!
Dumb idea for sure, but if other Toys to Life games do that sort of thing, I don't see why Nintendo couldn't jump on it.
No.199876
Anonymous
>>199875

That would mean that Nintendo actually putting out a featured piece of tech and actually putting development into properties around it instead of their usual token handful.

Upsets me that its never happened and likely never will.
No.199877
Anonymous
Replies:>>199883
Well, 3DS will endure it seems, surprisingly. When they announced the New 3DS I figured it was the DSi all over again.
No.199880
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>199890
I’d be happy with a Zelda game that actually tried something different instead of being the same goddamn “Zelda formula” game again.
No.199883
Anonymous
Replies:>>199886
>>199877
That was actually a sensible revision to fix the problems with the inital model. The infrared camera does a lot so the 3D actually isn't shit.
Replies:>>199887
>>199883
And it's stronger!
You don't appreciate how powerful the New is until you see just how unplayable Hyrule Warriors Legends is on the classic.
No.199887
Anonymous
>>199886

Yea its a pretty good hardware revision. Faster Processors and such. C-Stick isn't the best but its a step in the right direction.

Personally I'd designed a smaller directional stick and put it in the top right corner instead of in the inner side. Also nub design isn't too hot and a bitch to break in. Anyone know decent mods to improve its tactile grip and by that its response.
Replies:>>199889
save file
image:146204345600.jpg(141kB , 618x348 , squid sisters.jpg)
//youtube.com/watch?v=VP3CPiSOBRsyoutube thumb
The Squid Sisters are getting amiibo that... make them perform songs?
So you can get the splatfest effect when splatfests aren't a thing any more?
No.199889
Mister Twister
>>199888
If /v/ is to be believed, those figurines are for sexual.
No.199890
Anonymous
Replies:>>199893
>>199880
>I’d be happy with a Zelda game that actually tried something different instead of being the same goddamn “Zelda formula” game again.

What is the "Zelda Formula"? Like, what are you interested in them getting rid of? Because all I can think of being the same is the fact that you have 7 to 8 dungeons you go through... and most of the dungeons have been wildly different. I mean sure you have your forest/fire/water dungeons, but each time they introduce new mechanics, new weapons, new boss fights, etc.
No.199891
Anonymous
New Zelda is supposed to be an open world game so there's that.

I'll be fine just so long as we don't get another trash fire like Skyward Sword.
No.199892
Jumpman
Wii U having to suffer through another terrible holiday is painful for owner, but Nintendo is making the right decision here. Whatever the NX is, it needs to have games at launch. Nintendo can't repeat the same mistake of releasing a console too early like it did with the Wii U.

Based on statements from the recent investor meeting, NX and mobile (not handhelds; smartphones) will be a big focus for Nintendo. Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem as mobile games makes extreme sense; interested in seeing that turn out.

Zelda NX rumors like Linkle being playable has me exited too.
No.199893
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>199897
>>199890

//youtube.com/watch?v=XOC3vixnj_0youtube thumb

The formulaic feeling of Zelda games past ALttP is discussed as part of this video. But to sort-of summarize the idea into a question or two: Just how new are those mechanics and weapons and boss fights in each successive “proper” Zelda game? Are they new because they actually haven’t been done before in a Zelda game, or are they new because they haven’t been done with whatever gimmicky control scheme Nintendo’s come up with?
No.199894
Anonymous
Oh I don't... I don't watch Arin's opinions on video games.

Nevermind.
save file
image:146207930000.jpg(110kB , 1024x576 , Spoiler image)
Darn it, I dropped my Wii U like a moron and now it can't accept game discs any more.
And Nintendo's support site requires accounts for managing repairs but doesn't work properly.
I knew I should have gotten more of my games digitally...
On the plus side, Affordable Space Adventures was very fun.
I played it co-op with my friend, and that really helped.
No.199897
Anonymous
Replies:>>199898
>>199893
I thought Link Between Worlds did a good job of balancing old and new elements, so I'm pretty hopeful for NX.

I didn't play the new 3-swords adventure or whatever it is though.
No.199898
Anonymous
>>199897
Nintendo loves its new mechanics. Doubled it up with that 3DS release with costumes that give powers along with the Doll Co-op system.

It was Different much like the other DS Link games.
No.199899
DudeWithMoney !SFwR6DnH/Y
Replies:>>199900
Played through Star Fox Zero with a friend today. Everything you've heard about the control scheme is true. In corridor mode it's alright, it gets janky in all-range mode, and once a boss shows up and the camera fixes on it it becomes a nightmare. We're not sure it's a bad control scheme as such, but it's definitely a weird and unintuitive one that we never quite got used to.

Despite that, we still enjoyed a lot of the game, and it wasn't all the nostalgia rush. There's a lot of cool stuff in there. But that control scheme, man.
No.199900
Anonymous
Replies:>>199901
>>199899
It really makes you think, like. Nintendo really wanted to make games designed around the Controller. Like, how else would you design a Star Fox with the gamepad in mind? Just have it as a map/status screen, and aim with the second stick?

...Now that I think about it, that would probably work.
But honestly, that's how I pictured a Star Fox title would be on the Wii U ever since I realized it was a new console and not a peripheral.

Was it an OK concept with bad execution? Or was it just unsalvageable?
No.199901
Replies:>>199902
>>199900

I'm honestly not sure. I'm not even sure it's not a good control scheme that just happens to require huge amounts of player adjustment to work with, a la God Hand.
No.199902
Anonymous
Replies:>>199903
>>199901
That's what I've heard. Any stream that ends with anyone annoyed with it, usually has them playing for little over 10 minutes with it, a la Giant Bomb:
//youtube.com/watch?v=_XhXb-7rdTcyoutube thumb

I love these guys but it feels like they just threw it out after just a moment. On the other hand, the Completionist says after a full playthrough he could handle it with ease and in second nature. Except for the Lock On moments with Bosses, but that seems to be a common complaint with everyone.
No.199903
Replies:>>199904
>>199902

I played it enough to complete the game with two people passing the controller back and forth with each successive mission and...I don't know. It still never really felt natural, although it did feel less horrible after a while.

Bosses could always go fuck themselves, though. That was awful.
No.199904
Anonymous
Replies:>>199905
>>199903
Well thats a big shame. I've been a big Star Fox fan since childhood and the fandom was always ready to declare the series dead because every release since 64 has had good elements but overall is brought down by a nigh-fatal element...

I could use some more vanilla Star Foxing, nintendo. No need to re invent the wheel every time.
Same with F-Zero, you don't need to put something new in there, just give us an HD version of GX and we're happy.
No.199905
Replies:>>199906
>>199904

Yeah, it's pretty sad that almost ten years later, Star Fox 64 is still pretty unambiguously the strongest game in the series, and I say that as someone who is way kinder to Zero and Command than most people. Every time they try to add shit to it to move it away from the Star Fox 64 formula, the game winds up worse for it. All anybody really wants is Star Fox 64 again, but with new levels.
No.199906
>>199905

Not ten years, nearly twenty. Fuck me that's even worse.
No.199907
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
I'd be happy with Nintendo not using nearly the same goddamn story for every StarFox game. Give us a new enemy to deal with besides Andross! Expand the StarFox universe beyond the usual collection of planets! Do something fucking different instead of going the Mega Man route and giving us the same game with slightly different story/gameplay details!

StarFox could be a huge franchise if Nintendo would stop trying to “perfect” what it already got down pat—story- and gameplay-wise—with StarFox 64.
No.199908
Anonymous
>>199907
Assault was SO close. It had such strong arwing missions. I didn't even mind Krystal and the story was how good the arwing missions were. But the land bits were so painful. Especially nowadays after having so many 3rd person shooters.

Command could've been good too.

I'd be open to a Monster Hunter system where its basically taking odd jobs and quests with maybe an overarching storyline. Just. Don't touch the gameplay.
No.199909
Anonymous
>>199908
basically Privateer. Bounty Board take the missions take down pirates and such and scavenge for loot.
save file
image:146221674500.png(61kB , 256x384 , starfoxcom4-36.png)
>>199908
>>199907

The stories of Dinosaur Planet, Assault, and Command were all terrible furry fanction-tier, though. Like you say for Nintendo to stop giving you the same story for every Starfox game but did you actually play the last three entries? They were very different from SNES Starfox and Starfox 64... packed to the gills with melodrama, flat voice acting, and bad writing. They made the dregs of Penders-era Archie Sonic look like a well-crafted epic.

I hope they are WAY more careful with Star Fox's story in the future.
>>199910
The best way is to just go Mario with it.
Barebones save the day from the villain with cliche dialogue for flavor.
Some things story just ruins.
Replies:>>199914
save file
audio:146221899800.mp3(2.54MB / 02:46s / 128kbps , 44.1kHz / David Wise - Swapstone Hollow N64 demo.mp3)
>>199910
If Dinosaur Planet remained Dinosaur Planet, it would not be this way.
save file
image:146222572000.gif(1.89MB , 500x281 , tumblr_o5y5w9CaaD1txsff9o3_500.gif)
Depending on who you ask, Star Fox Zero could either have bad controls or a steep learning curve. I'm in the latter camp which that should not be taken as bad thing. The flight controls feel great and after some time, looking between the TV and Gamepad becomes second-nature. That being said though, I had more fun with co-op. Having a focused pilot and gunner just makes more sense with those controls.
No.199914
Anonymous
>>199912

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd ALL have a Merry Christmas.
No.199915
Replies:>>199916
I don't have any objection to Star Fox Zero rehashing the same narrative as the older titles; as others have pointed out, attempts to get away from it haven't gone well for the series. I do have a problem with how the game was literally the same story as Star Fox 64, except worse. Everything about that introduction and cutscenes was worse than the text crawl at the beginning of Star Fox 64.
Replies:>>199917
>>199915
But don't you feel more emotionally invested when it's Fox himself talking about how his dad died instead of a narrator?
No.199917
>>199916

No. The Zero text crawl was awful. It was easily twice as long as the 64 one without telling the player even a single additional piece of relevant information. It was just painfully drawn out and slow. Any possible advantage to having it be read by Fox himself is shredded by the voice actor's flat performance; he's totally serviceable for the short quips that typifies most of his line reads, but for a sustained exposition dump he's just not up to the task.

The worst part was the part when he started giving us a rundown of characters' personalities. Who thought we needed that? Before the first mission's halfway over you'll know exactly what each character's deal is. Talk about not trusting the player with the narrative.
No.199918
Anonymous
Replies:>>199919
All I know is seeing the Arwings turn into robot chickens is super goddamn lame.

The Arwing is like one of the coolest space ships from a nintendo game, and the Landmaster was really cool too (the submarine was acceptable, its not like it really got all that play).
But having an Arwing transform into a dumb looking robot chicken for ground combat is bad enough while also making the iconic original design lamer by association.

(Also found out it was originally conceived in the unreleased 'Star Fox 2' which was a surprise)
No.199919
Anonymous
Replies:>>199921
>>199918
I love those stupid chicken walkers, but I never really thought of Star Fox as a traditionally 'cool' series.
No.199921
Anonymous
>>199919
What's not cool about dogfighting in sleek space fighters? Barrel rolls and looping to turn the tables on the guy trailing you before blasting him to moon dust.
save file
image:146230788000.png(90kB , 1024x768 , J8KynrM.png)
Yeah, its cute and has had this comming for years.
No.199925
Anonymous
Replies:>>199926
Is it weird that I want a Lylat Fox Wars that is a sandbox Strategy RPG where you go around taking mercenary contracts to get funds to build up your tech, ships and generally pimp your rides. And none of the characters past 64 are in it.

To be fair the inspiration for this is because its not been completely unheard of for the series to dabble in very light strategy elements.
No.199926
Anonymous
>>199925
Eh, I wouldn't want it myself. I'd like for the series to actually stick to being an on-rails game.

I wouldn't mind the idea of building up your arwing over the course of each playthrough though, using kills or points or whatever as currency. A sort of RPG element like that could be pretty interesting.
No.199927
Anonymous
So I replayed Assault today as a little refresher.
And honestly, I didn't hate the on-foot missions as much as I remembered. I think there's definitely a right way to do it. Maybe actually focus on shooting and mobilty since Assault didn't handle either very well as opposed to level design. But... I feel like its doable.

Also, I dunno about a Strategy RPG, but maybe definitely a style that could still fit in with their "Space Mercs" image.
Replies:>>199933
save file
image:146241087900.png(544kB , 640x480 , drawfag_disappoint.png)
>get Darksiders II from the Ninty Humble Bundle
>can't download it because space is maxed on my 32 GB Wii U and 8 GB memory stick

Nintendo pls fix this with the NX for the love of god
No.199933
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>199934
>>199932

>Nintendo
>not being behind the curve technologically

Pick one.
No.199934
Anonymous
Replies:>>199935
>>199933

Gamecube was more powerful hardware than the PS2 and Dreamcast, (Xbox is still an argument to this day depending on what you wanted done). N64 was more powerful hardware than the PSOne and Saturn. SNES was more powerful than the Genesis. If we go way back to the NES, the Master System was technically more powerful but didn't allow for sprite flipping?

Keep on memeing though, Stone.
save file
image:146244594500.png(72kB , 693x710 , ps4 vs wiiu.png)
>>199934
Excuse me? Didn't the N64 use fucking cartridges in the age of CDs?? Nintendo lost FF7 because it was impossible to put it on a cartridge. And the fucking Gamecube, even though I love that lunch box, had minidiscs. Better specs don't mean everything, just look at the PS3. AND I'll just leave this here.
No.199937
Anonymous
>>199935
>just look at the PS3
The ps3 outsold the 360 in the long run fyi
No.199938
Anonymous
Replies:>>199939
>>199935
>Excuse me? Didn't the N64 use fucking cartridges in the age of CDs?

oh yeah man they got all those sweet looking FMVs that took forever to load and really held up to the test of time. Look, the PSOne was hilariously outmatched by the N64.

PS1: 33.8 Mhz 32-bit CPU
N64: 93.7 Mhz 64-bit CPU

Mini-discs were for faster load times (compare 12 seconds to 3 seconds).

Don't even get started on the PS3, that janky piece of shit could barely run multiplats as well as the 360 due to its ass-backwards cell architecture that didn't actually improve gameplay, it was just a new piece of tech that Sony wanted to cram into every electronic whether the logic structure made sense for the device or not.
No.199939
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>199941
>>199938

>oh yeah man they got all those sweet looking FMVs that took forever to load and really held up to the test of time.

They held up better than 90% of everything ever released on the N64.
Replies:>>199942
//youtube.com/watch?v=jOtjUG5PXlEyoutube thumb
Anyways, these are probably the new and extended songs the Squid Sister amiibo let you listen to.
No.199941
Anonymous
Replies:>>199943
>>199939
FMVs were a pointless gimmick that people liked because they were pretty, even though the games themselves looked worse than their Super Nintendo equivalents most of the time. Seriously, Final Fantasy IV through VI looked better than FFVII for 99% of the game. And yes, N64 games did almost always look better than Playstation 1 games if you ignore the FMVs.

If you want to watch pre-rendered movies on a disc, buy a goddamned DVD rather than ruining beautiful sprite based graphics with shitty 3D and breaking immersion on video games with movies of characters that look nothing like the characters that you use in the actual game.
No.199942
Anonymous
>>199940
Ah Japan and their Digital Idols. Bet that's going to take to VR nicely.
No.199943
Anonymous
Replies:>>199946
>>199941
If people liked them then they weren't pointless.

>breaking immersion on video games with movies of characters that look nothing like the characters that you use in the actual game.

This did bother me while playing FF7. I grew to like the chibi look way more than the detailed one.
No.199946
Anonymous
Replies:>>199947
>>199943
>If people liked them then they weren't pointless.
If people liked FMVs, those people had bad opinions.
No.199947
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>199949
>>199946

By all means, tell us why someone liking FMVs is an objectively horrible thing that makes said someone a horrible person.

…what’s that? Someone’s enjoyment of FMVs—a subjective experience from person to person—doesn’t actually make that someone a horrible person? Someone liking FMVs doesn’t personally affect you? Oh, well, who the fuck cares, then.
No.199948
TeethandHunger
Replies:>>199953
I always felt discs where more fragile than cartridges.
Easier damaged discs means more profits gained from replacing those games.
No.199949
Anonymous
Replies:>>199952
>>199947
>Someone liking FMVs doesn’t personally affect you?

Actually, it does--people responding to lazy game makers throwing mini-movies with long periods of zero interactivity into video games by creaming themselves over the fact that "OH MY GOD! I JUST SAW A MOVIE! ON MY TELEVISION SET!" make game makers cater to them with increasingly elaborate (and interminable) set pieces.

People like you are the reason Xenosaga had times when you would go two hours without being able to actually play the goddamned game you bought because they're showing an unending cutscene. Because FMV apologists don't just let them get away with being awful at telling a story using the tools of the medium they're actually working in (as opposed to just inserting clips from another medium entirely), they encourage them in it.
No.199952
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
>>199949

…and that matters because who is forcing you to play such games, again?
No.199953
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>199954
>>199948

Interesting that you should mention the disc/cartridge thing, as rumors are floating about that Nintendo will return to cartridges—think 3DS, but bigger—with the NX.
No.199954
Anonymous
>>199953
Maybe not even that much bigger given the increase in memory chip sizes. I'd love a return to carts. Only one I've lost over the years was due to a TV falling on it. Also I want the NX to be a gray bastard. Drop this shiny black and white nonsense.
>>199954
But then how will it integrate seamlessly with your home theater?
No.199956
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>199959
>>199954

>I'd love a return to carts.

If anything, it'll help cut down on load times like a motherfucker.
No.199958
Anonymous
//youtube.com/watch?v=wA2-0nTxaGgyoutube thumb
starfox zero released a little while back. it's ok.
No.199959
Anonymous
>>199956
>physical media would help load times
Um, no?
No.199960
Anonymous
Replies:>>199961
>>199959
Read speed would be a deal faster so some aspects would be quicker.
Replies:>>199962
>>199960
Isn't that the entire comcept of downloading a game to your hard drive, or was that just about not wearing out the lens as quickly.
No.199962
Anonymous
Replies:>>199964
>>199961
>Isn't that the entire comcept of downloading a game to your hard drive
Yes, and even better, SSDs. Lack of shitty carts is not what causes load times, the consoles being underpowered is.
No.199963
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>199966
>>199959

Tell me, how fast are the load times on a 3DS?
No.199964
Anonymous
>>199962
An SSD and a cart are effectively the same technology though.
No.199966
Anonymous
Replies:>>199974
>>199963
Lol, subpsp portables
No.199974
Anonymous
Replies:>>199975
>>199966

Least if its a Nintendo cart its got a reason for existing and they won't make priority memory cards that only run on garbage restricted by bad programming.
No.199975
Anonymous
Replies:>>199977
>>199974
The point isn't console wars, it's that using the 3DS, a thing with less graphical prowess than the fucking PSP, as an argument regarding technology is ludicrous. Portables in general aren't a valid ground to argue from.
No.199977
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>199978
>>199975

>Portables in general aren't a valid ground to argue from.

They are if the technology of 3DS cartridges is going to be a basis—if not the basis—for the rumored NX cartridge technology. Don’t go working yourself up into a frothing rage over the 3DS beating the PSP, okay? Shit happens.
No.199978
Anonymous
>>199977
>Don’t go working yourself up into a frothing rage over the 3DS beating the PSP, okay? Shit happens.
This has nothing to do with that (they're different gens in the first place so what are you talking about) and I own both anyway. My point is that's the level of backwards tech you are arguing for, a 240p screen and physical media.
No.199979
Anonymous
>>199978
Some just some don't see a cart based system as a limitation and more just something nowadays that could be unique to Nintendo.
No.199981
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
>>199978

>a 240p screen and physical media

It works for the 3DS. …okay but seriously, do you think Nintendo is just gonna make, what, 2GB carts for the NX? The whole point of bringing up 3DS cartridge tech is to give you an idea of how the rumored NXT carts might work—not to say Nintendo would merely "scale up" 3DS carts for the NX and have it use the same specs as the 3DS.
No.199983
Anonymous
I think I'd rather have flash based based memory alongside the game itself, simply to avoid taking up so much space on the console's hard drive with large numbers of games. Though if they do go with a new optical format, I'd like the disk to have a case rather than leaving the read surface exposed.
Well shoot, my Wii U is back and working fine, but that's because they clearly just gave me a new one and it only has my Nintendo ID transferred over and none of my saves.
My hard drive doesn't even recognize so I have to wipe it and download everything again.
No.200008
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>200009
So the new Pokémon starters have been revealed.

Rowlet appears to be the most popular of the trio.
save file
image:146289858800.jpg(181kB , 600x800 , 1451218555480.jpg)
>>200008
Good taste. Owls are fucking adorable.
No.200011
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
//youtube.com/watch?v=Kn25hijDL7cyoutube thumb

The reveal video for the Sun/Moon starters.
No.200012
Anonymous
Replies:>>200013
Holy shit that water starter is garbage.
No.200013
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
>>200012

He’s the least popular of the three, yeah.
No.200017
Anonymous
Owl is very good.
Cat is fine too.
Seal is shit.

Honestly though I'm ready for a game that doesn't use water/fire/grass for the starter trio. Do electric/water/ground or fighting/psychic/dark or something.

But then I'll probably pass on this game anyway so whatever.
Replies:>>200019
save file
image:146292558000.jpg(66kB , 392x600 , tumblr_mfszqbTTCj1qd9u57o1_400.jpg)
So the region is based on Hawaii (or one of the islands anyway). Neat!
Can't wait to explore Alola.
save file
image:146292570400.jpg(48kB , 600x336 , alola.jpg)
>>200018
It really makes me think we'll get Surfer as a trainer class.
No.200021
Anonymous
Oh please let the seals evolution be into some kinda horrifying clown thing.
save file
image:146294047800.jpg(65kB , 500x582 , 1462922082522.jpg)
Roothoot is so freaking adorable.
No.200023
Anonymous
>>200022
My favorite of the starters so far. It looks like a little Barn Owl with a bowtie and I love it. It could also be based on a Pueo, a Hawaiian subspecies of the short-eared owl. It looks more like the non-native Barn Owl though.
No.200024
Anonymous
>>200022
Yeah while I haven't hated previous starter ens as much as other people do this is the first time since Totodile that I flat-out loved a design this much.
Trying to restore all my downloads to my Wii U makes me realize how it's really only designed to download one thing at a time.
Getting a queue going causes it to slow down to the point of crashing a few times.
No.200042
Anonymous
>>200041
KYLE!
I didn't know he kept up the videos! I'm so glad he's still doing stuff.
No.200080
TeethandHunger
http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-exploring-movies-wants-first-one-ready-within-next-2-3-years/

Who's ready for a Nintendo Cinematic Universe?
Ron Perlman as Ganondorf please. Some Anon in another thread suggested this.
No.200082
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
>>200080

And the big crossover movie will be Smash Bros.
No.200083
Anonymous
Replies:>>200089
>>200080
With Ron Jeremy as Mario.
No.200089
Anonymous
>>200083
Danny Devito as Dedede
No.200090
Anonymous
Replies:>>200094
Now who'd be Kirby.

All sounding like some kinda porn
Replies:>>200095
save file
image:146361404200.png(125kB , 320x728 , hornswoggle_stat.png)
>>200090
Hornswoggle
No.200095
Anonymous
Replies:>>200116
>>200094
Pink Body Suit or just paint him?
No.200116
Anonymous
Replies:>>200117
>>200095
I imagine a pink spandex suit with a pink painted face would do nicely.

That way you can see every delicate feature of his face while his cgi jaw unhinges like a snake for him to inhale people.
No.200117
Anonymous
>>200116

New powers he just gets new hats and does different wrestling moves.
No.200235
The Sneaky Tiki
It couldn't even get an E rating, what the fuck is the point of this again?

http://www.nintendo-insider.com/2016/06/esrb-rates-metroid-prime-federation-force/
No.200237
Anonymous
>>200235
At this point I honestly just find this amusing.
No.200238
Anonymous
>>200235
Instead of somehow still crying about this why not play any one of the billion riffs on Metroid out there, like Axiom Verge
No.200239
Anonymous
Replies:>>200240
>>200238
What if we have? What if we just want another Metroid game?
No.200240
Anonymous
>>200239
You'll probably get one eventually, it's not like it's a Konami franchise.
No.200241
The Sneaky Tiki
>>200238
I'm not crying about it and I am playing those games, what I'm doing is critiquing a TERRIBLE business decision on Nintendo's part.

Let me put it this way, you want to market your most well known FPS shooter series as a multi-player shooter kids shooter, probably spurred on by the success of Splatoon, I get that.

It's FUCKING TERRIBLE IDEA, but I get it.

So you chibify the characters and give the game Nintendo 64 graphics, you are obviously shooting at an E rating because the very concept of what you are doing is disgusting to anyone that actually likes the series....only to get a T rating.

Could this game be anymore doomed? With an E rating it might have been a cool shooter for kids like Splatoon but they managed to fuck even that up.

But by all means defense squaddy, you make it about me hating the game and not me seeing this as an extremely flawed decision.
No.200242
Anonymous
Replies:>>200243
>>200241
>>200241
>So you chibify the characters and give the game Nintendo 64 graphics, you are obviously shooting at an E rating because the very concept of what you are doing is disgusting to anyone that actually likes the series....only to get a T rating.

Thanks for speaking for everyone, Tiki. Your reactions to things are unquestionably the only possible reaction to things, and no one else who likes Metroid could ever have a different opinion than you or else they're Not True Metroid Fans.
No.200243
The Sneaky Tiki
>>200242
Okay you got me there, but still not making some extra concessions for that E rating seems to me like a definite miscalculation.
No.200244
Anonymous
Replies:>>200245
>>200241
>But by all means defense squaddy
I'm not buying the game and don't even own a portable anymore, I just think the drama is absurd
No.200245
Anonymous
>>200244
then what the fuck are you doing arguing here.
No.200250
Anonymous
Replies:>>200258
>>200238
Anyone who wants a good metroid clone should check out Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight. I just played it recently and loved it. Kinda short but I'll definitely play through it again.

By the way, how was that F-Zero clone that got a digital release on wii u? Looked pretty fun.
No.200258
>>200250

My brother's been playing it and having a blast with it. And it's...it's fast. It's definitely fast. It's ABSURDLY fast, actually.
No.200293
T4 was here
Found an Earthbound manga. Have a look:
http://mangaonline.site/read-online/mother-2-giygas-strikes-back-nesss-memoirs-adventure-ch-1-5.html
No.200453
Anonymous
I really hope that Breath of the Wild isn't Hyrule after the water went away like some people think because that'd completely undermine the ending of Wind Waker.
No.200454
Anonymous
>>200453
People just need to connect it to the timeline somehow, and with what little information there is the theories run wild. Pay them no heed.
No.200455
Anonymous
The trailer had hyrule bridge and uses wolf link as a partner.

It screams twilight princess.
No.200456
Anonymous
>>200455
Gonna guess you don't know about the like, 6 hours of footage they put out for E3.
No.200457
Anonymous
>>200455
https://youtu.be/nCj58ZW3eR4?t=102
No.200479
Anonymous
>>200453
Same. I thought the ending already got diminished a bit by ST showing they found the new land and everything, but the whole ocean receding would be too much.

That aside I'm looking forward to the game. Hopefully it'll be as good as it looks. I just hope combat is hard enough to be engaging.
No.200494
Anonymous
Mm, slipping some sick burns on Zoe Quinn in the new Paper Mario.

Classy Nintendo, real top notch stuff coming out of the treehouse.
Replies:>>200497
save file
image:146664214100.jpg(68kB , 750x429 , CllO-B5UgAAOcWx[1].jpg)
>>200494
Wow.

That's fucked up.
No.200497
Anonymous
Replies:>>200501
>>200494
>>200496

>Gamer Gate is mad because they think Nintendo is making fun of them
>Zoe Quinn and her supporters are mad because they think Nintendo is making fun of her

Why don't you two just fuck already, goddamn.
No.200498
Anonymous
Replies:>>200499
I feel like, per it being Nintendo (and having seen the whole scene), this is less likely an attack on Miss Quinn or indeed even an ancient watergate joke as some are incorrectly suggesting, but more like a LUDICROUSLY tone deaf attempt to joke about how all scandals are -gate now.

Nintendo aren't evil. They're just eternally out of touch. Criminally so, in many cases, but stupidity before maliciousness and all that.
save file
image:146664432600.gif(101kB , 400x277 , Eye_roll_John.gif)
>>200498
>an attack on Miss Quinn

Are references to popular culture "attacks" now?

Jesus fucking Christ.
No.200500
Anonymous
>>200499
I explicitly stated I didn't think it was that but okay Eron, whatever.
No.200501
Anonymous
>>200497
>Gamer Gate is mad because they think Nintendo is making fun of them
Someone hasn't been on the subreddit.
Replies:>>200503
save file
image:146664785100.jpg(62kB , 1170x923 , ClDnWn-UoAA5Xb4.jpg)
>>200499
>Doesn't get the Five Guys reference.
No.200503
Anonymous
Replies:>>200515
>>200502
Again, being fair, that is most likely meant to be a nod to the 5 watergate thieves. That they're fun guys is because they're fungi.

That Nintendo keeps themselves in a bubble and don't understand what other dog turds they've stepped in is a sign of their ignorance, not their evil!

Someone, somewhere along the line should have CAUGHT this though, god damn Ninty get your act together.
No.200504
Anonymous
Replies:>>200506
Is there some context here that's making people think this is an actual reference rather than just a quintet of dancing mushroom men? Or do people just see the words "Five Guys" and immediately think "Haha, that's the number of people an internet person's boyfriend claimed she slept with, therefore it's a reference!"
Man, Star Fox Zero is really fun co-op.
My scores are so much better!
No.200506
Anonymous
Replies:>>200508
>>200504
//youtube.com/watch?v=lh16YgtySJIyoutube thumb

The scene in question.

Is it someone in the treehouse taking shots? Probably not, but it can be (and has) been construed as such and people have, at best, pinned it to Nintendo's ongoing problem of not wanting to acknowledge anything outside of its little bubble, this being the same company who cited not wanting to "make social commentary" as their reason for no gay tomodachis. Well, that or they've taken it up as a sign that Nintendo is joining the fight against "the SJW menace." Depends on the viewer.
No.200508
Anonymous
Replies:>>200509
>>200506
Honestly I don't think it's supposed to be anything. Looks like stupid people on the internet having confirmation bias and seeing what they want to see.
No.200509
Anonymous
>>200508
>Honestly I don't think it's supposed to be anything.
I mean it's at the very least a Watergate joke which, yeah Nintendo, keeping your finger on the pulse of that kid audience.
No.200510
Anonymous
Replies:>>200511
Okay, I just watched the scene, and have determined definitively: gamers on the internet are retarded and need to go outside.
No.200511
Anonymous
>>200510
South Parking it. Quite the conviction you got there.
No.200512
Anonymous
Replies:>>200514
This is the worst thread on the site, god damn.
No.200514
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
>>200512

Oh please, the /pol/ threads are much worse than this. This thread is a papercut compared to those raging tire fires.
No.200515
Anonymous
Replies:>>200516
>>200503
>That Nintendo keeps themselves in a bubble and don't understand what other dog turds they've stepped in is a sign of their ignorance, not their evil!
>
>Someone, somewhere along the line should have CAUGHT this though, god damn Ninty get your act together.

Okay, I really have to take issue with this. Even if it is a reference to GamerGate, that isn't in and of itself a "dog turd." It's a joke that uses the scandal as a framing device. Its a reference that still manages work with the absurdity of the situation (where the humor is derived) organically. It isn't maliciously attacking some person on the Internet, overtly or covertly.

And frankly, the people saying "omg Nintendo is anti-women I'll never buy their products again/canceling my pre-order!" already did this song and dance JUST A WEEK AGO when Link wasn't going to be female. And then AGAIN when Nintendo fired Alison Rapp for perfectly legitimate reasons. At some point the threat of withheld sales is going to lose its sense of potency!

And I shouldn't even have to get into what a joke it is to have the idea that Nintendo is anti-women, particularly the Treehouse, when most of their on-camera presenters were women! Women who delighted in taking off Link's clothes and have him run around naked. Now, I personally found that funny, but holy smoke dudes, ya'll need to wake up and pull your head out of your butt if you think a company has some sort of bias against gender, creed, or color just because of a bleeding -gate joke.
No.200516
Anonymous
Replies:>>200518
>>200515
>It's a joke that uses the scandal as a framing device.
A bad one, if I may.
No.200518
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>200521
>>200516

Yeah, I mean, who thought a Watergate reference was the right way to go?

On the bright side, Nintendo obliquely labelled GamerGate as "an online hate campaign": http://www.polygon.com/2016/6/23/12014436/nintendo-paper-mario-color-splash-gamergate
No.200520
Anonymous
Shoulda made a Deepthroat joke like MGS did.
No.200521
Anonymous
Replies:>>200522
>>200518
I mean I can Quinn herself a pass because anyone who had to go through all that bullshit thrown their way would definitely come out with an understandable chip on their shoulder, even if I think she's wrong in her evaluation of this particular joke but anyone else? Holy reaching Batman, regardless of whether you're one of the retards offended by this "gross and horrible attack on women", or you're one of the retards who suckle at Breitbart's anus and think "see Nintendo is with us in the fight against dem dirty Smooth Jazz Waluigis lololol triggered shitlooooords!"
No.200522
Anonymous
save file
image:146672789500.png(59kB , 601x336 , a bigger deal than it really is.png)
save file
image:146689677700.jpg(51kB , 552x943 , 1466764238169.jpg)
save file
image:146689681000.jpg(55kB , 516x1000 , 1466764259177.jpg)
save file
image:146689684200.jpg(76kB , 525x1000 , 1466764320804.jpg)
save file
image:146689686200.jpg(48kB , 552x956 , 1466764381758.jpg)
No.200547
Anonymous
>>200546
Lotta cool programming ability put into that. Its like the ReShade program for PC games. Utilizing a better algorithms that gets better performance and more features.
save file
image:146709187700.png(103kB , 250x290 , happy Digsy is happy.png)
>>200546
I was never a Nintendo kid, and never will be. But with that amazing thing, I could finally play some of ZE BEST GameCube and Wii titles without buying a Nintendo console (I always buy my games on disks though).
No.200669
Jumpman
Replies:>>200670
//youtube.com/watch?v=eEm_wPGgScUyoutube thumb

Good analysis. The Pokemon Co. deserve more credit than Nintendo for experimenting with mobile earlier and enlisting a better mobile partner for Pokemon Go. Miitomo - the highly publicized mobile game from Nintendo and DeNA - fading into obscurity doesn't boost great confidence in future projects. It's fine as a first step, but the severe loss in active players shows Nintendo has a lot to learn about mobile gaming, and they have to learn fast because the audience that made the Wii a hit are out there playing with their iPhones.
save file
image:146856368500.png(34kB , 800x600 , 1419212971757.png)
>>200669
Nintendo is a dinosaur from a by-gone era where 1st party games meant something. Their dated understanding of online features and are not third-party friendly are just the tip of the iceberg. I also feel they aren't handling their "smash bro" IPs as well as I would want. If Nintendo had a shit PR department they'd be as bad a Konami, but they have built so much good will with their customers that even after showing only 2 games at E3 even non-nintendofags went crazy over it. And don't get me started on their youtube shenanigans.

Don't take my ranting the wrong way, I still have hopes for nintendo. If they ditch their prehistoric zaibatsu ways, they might not be relegated to only the handheld market. And for fucks sake if the NX is VR I'm going to be so salty.
No.200671
Anonymous
Replies:>>200677
They have said repeatedly that the NC isn't VR. They were also very forthcoming on what the E3 showing was going to be, and the detail on both the titles was lavish.

Considering that they're icing out the WiiU soon and quite possibly the 3DS as well, their current behavior makes sense.
No.200672
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>200673
>>200670

>if the NX is VR

Nintendo learned its (painful) lesson with the Virtual Boy. I doubt it’ll do a repeat of that horrendous failure.
No.200673
Anonymous
Replies:>>200674
>>200672
The VB and actual VR are not really comparable.
No.200674
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
>>200673

Still, I don’t expect Nintendo to chase that specific trend any time soon. Speculation abounds about the NX doing something with mobile/console synergy, so I’d place bets on something like that rather than any VR nonsense.
No.200675
Anonymous
Nintendo has said they won't touch VR till its in the mainstream
No.200676
Anonymous
>>200670
>If they ditch their prehistoric zaibatsu ways, they might not be relegated to only the handheld market.
Jesus nerds get up their own ass with how much better they think they understand the market than the people actually working in it and doing genuine market research.

A generation ago Nintendo redefined the gaming market, this generation they did poorly, so now they're apparently "relegated to the handheld market" (as though the handheld market weren't the most profitable sector for gaming these days anyway, but that's beside the point). Just like the nerds were saying they were when the N64 came out, or the Gamecube.
No.200677
Jumpman
Replies:>>200678
>>200671
>Considering that they're icing out the WiiU soon and quite possibly the 3DS as well, their current behavior makes sense.

I don't see the 3DS getting the ax anytime soon, but I also don't see it getting a successor either. I think Nintendo will keep the 3DS going for the sake of die hard fans, but in time their focus will shift from handheld to mobile.
No.200678
Anonymous
Replies:>>200679
>>200677
You do realize that the 3DS has been an unmitigated success, year after year, right?
save file
image:146860167800.jpg(38kB , 800x518 , ClfBXI7UkAAwans.jpg)
>>200678
>You do realize that the 3DS has been an unmitigated success, year after year, right?

2014:
>Nintendo Misses Wii U And 3DS Sales Targets, Posts $229M Loss

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/05/07/nintendo-misses-wii-u-and-3ds-sales-targets-posts-229m-loss/#1f1359b43e45

2015:
>global sales of the 3DS family was an eye-watering hit-or-miss on its target of 9 million with 8.73 million units. Nintendo has reduced its sales forecast for this fiscal year by 13 percent to 7.6 million.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/07/nintendo-narrowly-misses-sales-target-for-troubled-wii-u

2016:
>“Nintendo’s 3DS hardware is struggling from lack of new titles,” Masaru Sugiyama, an analysts at Goldman Sachs Group Inc., wrote in a report on Monday. “The platform is peaking out.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-29/nintendo-falls-after-halving-profit-outlook-on-weak-3ds-salest

And then there's this:
>The handheld gaming market is shrinking quickly due to the rise of mobile gaming. Portable game consoles are still only owned by 14% of the U.S. population, while the near-ubiquitous smartphone is owned by five times as many Americans.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/BryanCashman/20160621/275393/Nintendo_Is_in_Trouble_and_E3_Didnt_Help.php
No.200681
Anonymous
Eh I'd still rather have my 3DS than a phone with Nintendo Game apps. Though the Nipple is shit.
No.200733
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-26-nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers

Huh.
No.200734
Anonymous
Watching a compilation of a playthrough of dinosaur planet.

This game really is terrible and a cancer on the star fox series, Crystal was a mistake.
No.200737
Jumpman
Replies:>>200742
http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/amiibo-sales-down-60-so-far-this-year/

If Nintendo doesn't find another game like Super Smash Bros. to promote amiibos, it won't be long until it goes the way of Disney Infinity.
No.200742
Anonymous
Replies:>>200744
>>200737

This has been the trend with Nintendo for thirty years now. Introduce a Gimmick/Device and then barely ever build anything that uses it. Amiibo wasn't going to be any different. Least with the Lego stuff you've for something that's more than a statue to play with.
No.200744
Jumpman
Replies:>>200745
>>200742
Well, they've tried using games like Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival to keep the momentum going, but to no avail.
No.200745
Anonymous
>>200744

Its running into the same problem. They are coming out with a lot of titles with Amiibo support but most are VERY limited to what they do.

Yea right now its looking a lot like Disney Infinity in that its touted as some great thing "scan your Amiibos into your favorite games."

But then it turns out to be very limited when only one Amiibo works with this one game... and doesn't really do anything with any other games.
No.200746
Anonymous
I bought a Shulk Amiibo because it was available and I knew it unlocked a few things in Xenoblade, and because I thought it was a sort of nice figure to have on my entertainment system. I don't think I could ever see myself COLLECTING the things, but owning one or two of characters you like seems kind of fun even with the limited functionality they have.
Replies:>>200779
save file
image:146972330700.jpg(431kB , 2048x1536 , original 12.jpg)
On an unrelated note, I recently managed to expand my collection of the original 8 to 12.
No.200772
Anonymous
I finally picked up a Wii U recently and got ahold of Mario Maker.

This game has no right to be as fun as it is.
No.200779
T4 was here
>>200750
GG!
All I miss is Link and Yoshi.
Replies:>>200790
save file
image:147019929400.jpg(121kB , 640x771 , Nintendo_Power_Issue_130_March_2000_0000.jpg)
Internet Archive put up 145 issues of the discontinued Nintendo Power

https://archive.org/details/nintendopower
No.200790
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
>>200789

Fucking awesome.
No.200799
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
http://kotaku.com/brilliant-fan-remake-of-metroid-ii-arrives-just-in-time-1784929739

Quick, grab it before Nintendo stomps it into oblivion!
No.200800
Anonymous
>>200799
Nintendo can't stomp it into oblivion if the first anyone heard about it was the release.

Once it's out there it doesn't go away.
No.200801
The Sneaky Tiki
>>200799
At least someone gives a fuck about Metroid's 30th.

I played the demo for that garbage they are trying to pass off as a Metroid game and it made me seethe.
No.200802
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
That Metroid II remake, though. Fucking legit as hell.
No.200803
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>200804
Blargh. Stuck in AM2R. How do you do the in-air dash or whatever that smashes walls where a dash is needed but there isn't enough room to build up speed? Is there a specific technique to doing it, or do I need a specific item to do it (and if so, where in the bloody hell do I find it)?
No.200804
The Sneaky Tiki
Replies:>>200805
>>200803
post a screenshot.
No.200805
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>200806
>>200804

Googled a bit; shinesparking was what I was talking about. And holy fucking shit, is it hard to do.
save file
image:147063492900.gif(2.82MB , 479x316 , 1381464175360.gif)
>>200805
Hijinks like these, I assume?
No.200807
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
>>200806

Not THAT complex (I would hope), but yeah, shit like that. There are at least two or three items in AM2R that require shinesparking to get.
No.200808
thatother1dude !!/PKS88+dMMc
>>200806
I remember having to Shinespark a few times for Zero Mission (not sure if I did this exactly).

It was for the only time so far I've ever gotten 100% completion for a Metroid-type of game. It'll probably remain such, because in hindsight I only ever tried that because this was back when I couldn't afford many games (instead of having a bunch I never get to) and wanted to get as much from them as possible.
save file
image:147078208400.jpg(51kB , 600x338 , MP-Fed-Force-Story-Trailer.jpg)
This is a promotional image of an in game cutscene.

The rest of the game looks worse than this.

They put this out to get people excited.
No.200817
thatother1dude !!/PKS88+dMMc
Replies:>>200823
>>200816
No one cares.
No.200818
Rodyle !Cljnc/gZnM
Not even a little.
No.200819
Anonymous
>>200816
Probably not because they thought it was ready, bust just because they realised they just let Metroid's 30th aniverssary pass without doing anything and everyone else noticed. To me the only glaring problem is the highlights on the armour being a bit sharp. Shifting everything over to the elft a bit would also help with the composition a lot since things look a bit sqeezed to the right.

Those seem like they can be fixed easily enough. Similarly, I would think run speed is something they might have already tweaked based on playtesting.
No.200822
Anonymous
>>200816
A 3DS screen shot looks kind of mediocre? Well better ddos Nintendo, clearly they're out to murder Samus.
No.200823
The Sneaky Tiki
Replies:>>200827
>>200819
It comes out on the 18th, it couldn't be more final.

It looks worse than Hunters for fucksake, the demos out.

>>200822
No one will DDoS Nintendo because
>>200817
>>200818
Exactly. Nintendo had enough rope to hang themselves on this and they did an airtight job.
No.200824
Anonymous
Replies:>>200825
Man, I fucking hate fighting the metroids in AM2R. Nothing about it is fun or feels good in any way.
No.200825
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
>>200824

If the hitboxes weren't so fucking hard to hit, it’d be so much better. The last-form Metroids are the worst in that regard.

At least the final boss doesn’t pose a huge challenge. I only needed two attempts to waste that fucker.
No.200827
Rodyle !Cljnc/gZnM
Replies:>>200828
>>200823
>Exactly. Nintendo had enough rope to hang themselves on this and they did an airtight job.
I at least (and I believe Dude) was referring to your complaining about it, not the game (though no, I don't care about that either).
No.200828
The Sneaky Tiki
Replies:>>200829
>>200827
Who cares either way, I said my piece.
No.200829
Anonymous
Replies:>>200830
>>200828
Repeatedly, for months.

There's at least one good Metroidvania every other month, fucking play those.
No.200830
The Sneaky Tiki
>>200829

I AM BUT I CRAVE MORE, MOOOOOOOOOOORE!
No.200831
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
>>200830

Would you say you…hunger?
No.200838
Anonymous
Replies:>>200844
>>200830
The point being that those games are a everywhere, they just aren't called Metroid. If you want a once great Nintendo franchise buried by garbage, it's Fire Emblem. No substitutes for that shit!
No.200844
Anonymous
Replies:>>200845
>>200838

Fire Emblem got better with waifus and difficulty settings, deal with it nerd
No.200845
Anonymous
Replies:>>200846
>>200844
>Panders harder
>Sells better
>Therefore it must be higher quality
No.200846
Anonymous
Replies:>>200847
>>200845
Difficulty Settings have objectively made Fire Emblem games better than previous titles. The only reason to object to them is if you feel like your hipster cred is being ruined by letting "casuals" play in the same sandbox as you.
No.200847
Anonymous
Replies:>>200848
>>200846
The difficulty settings are a good addition.

The new art design, return of breeding (the worst part of 4), the focus on grinding FOR bvreeding, and the awful map design form a really horrifying blend

the last good FE was 10
No.200848
Anonymous
>>200847
The map design in Conquest was fine.
No.200851
Anonymous
If that's the case, sure, lets add more difficulty settings to games where the challenge was a game mechanic.
I won't have to search frantically for bonfires anymore. I won't miss that.
No.200852
Anonymous
>>200851
>If that's the case, sure, lets add more difficulty settings to games where the challenge was a game mechanic.

Challenge is not a game mechanic, ever. There are really only three things "challenge" in a game can be: 1.) a voluntary obstacle people take on for the purpose of increasing their own level of enjoyment/engagement 2.) bad game design excused as intentional or artistic or 3.) a dick measuring contest for gaming hipsters.

Difficulty settings don't do anything to remove a player's ability to engage in #1, which is the only one of the three that is a positive or even neutral thing for a game to offer.
No.200854
Anonymous
>>200851
>I won't have to search frantically for bonfires anymore. I won't miss that.
Oh, so you decided to turn off permadeath then? Because I sure didn't.
No.200855
Anonymous
>>200852
Anon, you have no souls.
No.200856
Anonymous
Replies:>>200857
>>200852
Don't you shit talk Shovel Knight.
No.200857
Anonymous
>>200856

Shovel Knight actually does have a very intelligent kind of difficulty setting in its in-level save system. You can leave the savepoints alone and play on easy, or you can break them open and "loot" them for more gems, i.e. playing on "hard."
save file
image:147159339000.png(1.03MB , 1281x1855 , 1471587753250.png)
No.200895
The Sneaky Tiki
The fact the Samus is the final boss could not be more of a fuck up.

"Finish the job this game started and literally kill the franchise!"
No.200899
Anonymous
>>200895
Really? I remember people saying they hoped that's exactly how it would end when it was first announced. Makes Samus actually relevant to the game, and makes her look badass when even in defeat she manages to escape or at least get captured on her own terms.

Actually, let me look up the ending myself and oh look she not only lives but also saves your life twice during the ending, first by exploding enemies and secondly by saving you from drifting off into deep space without a ship. Saying the game ends with you killing Samus is nothing short of deceptive.
No.200900
Anonymous
Replies:>>200905
>>200895
>Finish the job this game started
Other M was 6 years ago and by Sakamoto himself, pull your head out of your ass.
No.200901
Anonymous
Replies:>>200905
>>200899
>Saying the game ends with you killing Samus is nothing short of deceptive.

Welcome to Tiki's shitposting modus operandi. You can see it at work in full effect in other boards like +/co/'s DC thread.
No.200905
The Sneaky Tiki
Replies:>>200909
>>200899
>>200900
>>200901
Okay, fair enough, I really fucked that up, I wasn't try to be deceptive I just got angry when the rocks fell on her before fully finishing the video.

>>200900
Though to be fair, just because you create create something doesn't mean you can't then fuck it up.

I.e. Sticker Star.
No.200909
Anonymous
Replies:>>200910
>>200905
He's saying that Sakamoto had nothing to do with this game.
No.200910
Anonymous
>>200909
No, I was saying that Metroid had been dead for many years before they even announced FF, and it was killed by its own creator.

There are many amazing Metroidvanias out there, stop whining and go play them. Axiom Verge, there's your Metroid game Tiki.
No.200911
Anonymous
Replies:>>200912
>>200910
Shit. We should kill off Mario too then, since there's so many platformers out there.
No.200912
Anonymous
>>200911
Mario isn't a habitual terrible seller. Metroid is. And my point, as you'd recognize if your head wasn't lodged firmly up your ass, is not that we "should kill" Metroid but rather that it's been dead for ages anyway.

It's a franchise which never did well and which you can get the benefits of elsewhere. Tiki's whining is founded on nothing.
No.200913
Anonymous
>>200912
its almost as if videogames mattered to people.
No.200914
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>200916
>>200912

And Metroid is basically the same core story retold with a slightly different perspective or aesthetic. (It’s like StarFox in that respect. And that whole “fuck this franchise” treatment.) How many times do you want to see/play as Samus fighting the same creatures over and over again? Ooooh, Ridley and Kraid for the twentieth fucking iteration—what a fucking thrill! Oh look, Mother Brain is alive—again! We get the fucking point, Nintendo, try something new for a motherfucking change.

…look, I’m not actually as salty about this as the paragraph above implies, but if you’re upset about the Metroid franchise getting the shaft, maybe ask yourself whether it’s the franchise or the gameplay that you love. Because a majority of the Metroid franchise is about telling the same one-dimensional story—with the same one-dimensional protagonist and many of the same enemies—in multiple iterations.
No.200916
Anonymous
Replies:>>200918
>>200914

I'm not a huge Metriod person but I do want to say that I feel like the story, like Star Fox, has massive untapped potential. Also like Star Fox when they tried to lean more into a new direction with the story they fumbled the ball horribly, then didn't try again. And that's really a complaint I have with a lot of Nintendo games now that I think about it. The gameplay in many of these games is very fun and addictive (often better implemented than any other 3rd-party clones), and that causes me to become attached to the characters in these games, and in turn I want to see their "stories" unfold and evolve. I want to see what happens to Star Fox, Samus, and even Mario. However Nintendo seems to either not want to attach a more complex story to their games or is unable to do so without it turning into a mess.
No.200918
The Sneaky Tiki
>>200910
I beat it already. I literally own every existing Metroidvania. Currently waiting on Ghost Song, Hollow Knight and Bloodstained. All of which I backed.

>>200916

>has massive untapped potential.

Agreed.
No.200963
Anonymous
Replies:>>200965
NES Retro console sold out at TRU and Amazon.

Nice.
No.200965
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>200966
>>200963

SNES Mini when?
No.200966
Anonymous
>>200965
Probably once they figure out what they can have on it barring licensing issues.

Mario Worlds, All-Stars, Kart and RPG are a given. Likely the DKC Trilogy, Pilotwings, F-Zero Super-Metroid, Link to the Past. Some of the classic JRPG might be hard like Final FantasyIII(6) and Crono Trigger. Along with Megaman X series and Street Fighter Titles.
No.200967
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>200969
>>200966

I don’t think anyone expected to see any third-party games on the NES Mini’s lineup, so licensing can’t be a huge hurdle. In any case, the one game I’d want to see in any SNES Mini lineup would be Earthbound.
No.200969
Anonymous
>>200967
Instant seller would be a full Mother Collection on that model. Also Clock Tower.
No.200970
Anonymous
Replies:>>200972
>>200966
>Some of the classic JRPG might be hard like Final FantasyIII(6) and Crono Trigger.
Doubtful. Those are all on Virtual Console, and every other platform Squenix can get them onto. Square's not going to pass up an opportunity to milk a franchise.
No.200972
Anonymous
Replies:>>200974
>>200970
The thing is, these aren't for the people who would buy them on VC. These are for casuals who used to play games but don't now. People who can navigate digital distribution (or emulators) have no use for these, Ninty and co want that casual cash.

Besides, doesn't the NES one have FF 1-3 already?
No.200974
Anonymous
>>200972
My point was just that Squenix will jump at the chance if Nintendo asks. It sounds like you and I are basically making the same point.
No.201040
Anonymous
Replies:>>201046
>>200966
Not really looking to buy one, but I wonder if it'd have Mario Paint. No reason to pass up a chance to inspire more people to develop stuff. Espeically given that I could see some parents giving their kids retro stuff before current gen consoles to avoid having to deal with them doing stuff online so early, as that's simpler than using parental controls.
I love Rhythm Heaven Megamix so much, I'm torn between if I want all the other games on virtual console, or just all the minigames from them as DLC for Megamix.
No.201046
Anonymous
Replies:>>201047
>>201040
The problem with Mario Paint is that it would require the mouse. I guess they could get around it by making the device work with USB mice, but would they really want to go to that much trouble for one game?
No.201047
Anonymous
>>201046
Oh, that's right. I only played Mario Paint once at a firend's house, and he'd unfortunately lost the mouse so only the music editor was usable.
save file
image:147466557200.jpg(241kB , 1280x720 , CtEVuVsUEAA_DNp.jpg)
I just noticed, that while it is extremely hard to get a good look at it on the DS, the Phantom Sword's scabbard clearly does not have the same design in Hyrule Warriors as it does in Phantom Hourglass.
Curious.
No.201144
Anonymous
Waluigi won a weekend at a fancy mansion-turned-resort-hotel, and arranged with Wario to meet there. But Wario arrived first, and is super bored because no one's letting him hog all the food or emit disgusting gasses as he is want to do. It's up to Waluigi to use Dr. Crygor's boo-summoning bubble wand and drive out everybody cramping on Wario's style, and steal their money while he's at it, in Waluigi's Insufficiently Haunted Mansion!
No.201248
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>201249
THIS IS NOT A DRILL. THIS IS NOT A HOAX. THIS IS NOT BULLSHIT.

NINTENDO REVEALS THE NX TOMORROW MORNING.
No.201249
Anonymous
Replies:>>201251
>>201248

oh boy I can't wait for everyone to be disappointed and say its shit.
No.201251
Anonymous
>>201249
I can't wait for everyone to be disappointed and say its shit, then have it make Nintendo a mint.
No.201252
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
//youtube.com/watch?v=b8hDuCeG1xgyoutube thumb
//youtube.com/watch?v=vEj57Jd6d3Ayoutube thumb
//youtube.com/watch?v=st4bgxiOnL8youtube thumb

New footage from Breath of the Wild, all from the Wii U version—though the game is in development for both the Wii U and the NX.
No.201253
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
The NX is no more. Say hello to the Nintendo Switch.

//youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaIyoutube thumb
save file
image:147697291700.jpg(331kB , 1536x2048 , Switch Press Shot.jpg)
The official press shot of the Switch.
save file
image:147697298100.jpg(163kB , 1200x794 , Switch Partners.jpg)
And a sampling of the partners.
No.201256
Anonymous
Replies:>>201269
>>201255
FROM Software is a weird one. But at the same time, they've been saying that they're working on a very weird game.
No.201257
Anonymous
>>201255
>Konami
What exactly do they even have to offer?
No.201258
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
>>201257

All their old games for Virtual Console re-releases?
save file
image:147699159600.jpg(401kB , 1600x1387 , Switch Features.jpg)
A look at some of the individual parts/features of the Switch.
No.201260
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Oh, and just for a laugh:

https://twitter.com/failnaut/status/789117803160829952
No.201261
Anonymous
Its everything I wanted out of a console.

>>201257
They still have MGSV Definitive Edition coming out.
No.201262
T4 was here
>>201259
They had me with Zelda on the go.
No.201263
Anonymous
Replies:>>201264
Worried about the actual specs of the thing, but the promo vid was on point and presented the message effectively.
No.201264
Anonymous
>>201263
Nvidia finally got to a GPU that can be portable and be powerful. So whatever modded chipset they are using on this unit should be fine.
save file
image:147700163900.jpg(300kB , 750x766 , Splatoon Switch.jpg)
It's easy to miss, but customizable hairstyles in Splatoon Switch.
No.201266
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
>>201265

Splatoon World Championship tourney when?
No.201267
Alpharius on the move
>>201265
Fingers crossed for more than a port.
No.201268
TeethandHunger
>>201259

Kinda looks like SEGAs Game Gear.
No.201269
Anonymous
Replies:>>201270
>>201256
If this thing gets skyrim I could see dark souls getting a port.
No.201270
Anonymous
>>201269
From Software did commit to the system after all.
No.201271
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Something people noticed about the Switch trailer: Nintendo didn’t include a single young kid in it.

For a company with a well-known (and sometimes unfair) reputation of aiming its product towards children, that Nintendo didn’t associate kids with the Switch says a lot about what demographic it might be aiming at this time around.
No.201272
Anonymous
Replies:>>201273
>>201271
I think they're still going to strive to be the clean family-friendly company they've always tried to be, but they may have realize that millions of kids who grew up playing Nintendo games are parents themselves now.
No.201273
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
>>201272

The song choice for the trailer, the footage of games with Nintendo IP, and the Switch iconography itself scream “all ages”, but it seems they'll actually try to attract gamers of all ages with a wider swath of games (the Skyrim footage suggests as much).
No.201274
Anonymous
>>201271
They probably figure it's an unspoken given the kids will want it.
Replies:>>201276
save file
image:147704409600.jpg(137kB , 1500x1500 , CvOKVh_WgAAikSw.jpg)
Nintendo Switchdoggo is so cute.
No.201276
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
>>201275

Switchpup da best. :3
No.201278
Anonymous
>>201271
It worked for Pokemon Go, didn't it?
No.201279
Anonymous
https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/789289178684981248
Oh come on.
No.201280
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
>>201279

One step forward, two steps back.
No.201281
Anonymous
>>201279
Good thing we have leakers like Emily Roberts around, but still.
No.201283
Anonymous
>>201279

...but they already announced there's no region-lock. I saw it in the announcement of the third-party partners.
No.201288
Anonymous
Replies:>>201289
http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/10/26/nintendo-predicts-sell-2-million-switch-units-launch-month-confident-unveiling/

2 million units planned at launch, not being sold at a loss. Wonder what that's going to come out to be.
No.201289
Anonymous
>>201288
I'm not exactly confident they're gonna be $299 anymore.
Replies:>>201300
save file
image:147760351200.jpg(34kB , 600x454 , 03a.jpg)
//youtube.com/watch?v=5uWAMwcRGmUyoutube thumb
>Owlbin Hood is Grass/Ghost (not Flying)
>Firecat is Fire/Dark (not Fighting)
>Mermaid is Water/Fairy
No.201300
Anonymous
>>201291
>Owlbin Hood
I would have gone with Owliver Queen or Robin Hoot, but that works too.
save file
image:147825680400.jpg(179kB , 1104x1062 , weapons.jpg)
Ravio uses the Ice Rod for so many of his specials, it seems like for a second there they were going to achieve balance by having him be a water type.
No.201346
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
The NES Classic Mini went on sale todaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's gone.
No.201360
Anonymous
There's a nintendo sale, if anyone's interested.
http://happyholidays.nintendo.com/cyber-deals
No.201389
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
The Game Awards weren’t all about Geoff Keighley’s bromance with Hideo Kojima, y’know. Nintendo actually showed something off—Breath of the Wild, in fact.

//youtube.com/watch?v=17foyUCR-RMyoutube thumb
//youtube.com/watch?v=b86D9cZPOw0youtube thumb
No.201539
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Switch presentation tonight. Who thinks Nintendo has at least one huge, unexpected launch game ready to show off?
No.201540
Mister Twister
Some neat games, more Wii wagglan gimmick for CASUALS, EA can eat shit, IMO Switch could have been better if the left thumbstick was below the d-pad (but that's my DualShock love). Grafiks look mostly impressive.
save file
image:148428917100.jpg(408kB , 1974x1777 , 1484282989827.jpg)
No.201544
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>201550
Yeah, the position of the joystick on JoyCon R seems like it'll be bothersome, but otherwise, I am sold on the system itself.

I just want to know if that snowboarding/skiing game in that montage trailer near the end is supposed to be a new "1080 Snowboarding". (If it is: FUCK YEAH, SIGN ME THE FUCK UP FOR THAT.)
save file
image:148430559700.jpg(78kB , 600x356 , 13_sf2-new05.jpg)
Confirmed via the Switch website: Capcom will release "Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers" for the system. It is basically "Super SFII Turbo HD" with Evil Ryu and Violent Ken as playable characters, the choice to switch between HD graphics and pixel graphics, and what appears to be a Dramatic Battle Mode.
save file
image:148433788300.jpg(116kB , 1024x512 , 1484324026848m.jpg)
No.201550
Anonymous
>>201544
Could be Steep.
Apparently, Ubisoft is really into the Switch.
No.201551
Anonymous
>>201548
>a new Bomberman game is out, after not hearing about the one on Wii until it was dissappeared from stores
>for the Nintendo Switch, which I won't get on principle because I didn't put up with Microsoft or Sony going subscription-for-online-play either
I'm dead and this is my torment.
No.201553
Anonymous
Replies:>>201554
>>201548
Oh hey there it is, that's Steep.
Please be a launch title, Steep.
No.201554
Anonymous
>>201553

Should be fun with Switch having Haptic Drivers in the controls. Better than the standard vibration according to them.
No.201564
Alpharius
>>201563
new thread