/cog/ - Traditional & Video Gaming

Please consider donating! Thanks!

Thread stats: 343 posts, 44 files (43 image(s), 1 video(s))

Toggle poster info Replying to /cog/194495 Close window
Options
save file
image:143010284200.png(80kB , 332x314 , 1421811143522.png)
Argue about Steam in the Steam Thread Edition
~or~
E3 can't get here any faster Edition

Old thread >>193016
No.194497
Anonymous
E3 2015 come for the exclusives, stay for jokes about Konami blowing its face off. Kinda hope Sony has something on this because according to the Del Toro the dream is fucking dead. Why does nobody want to let that man make a horror game?
No.194504
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Konami officially confirmed the cancellation of Silent Hills.

Fuck you, Konami.
No.194505
Anonymous
Wait so Kojima's big split with Konami comes over use of the FOX engine and not the fact that he's one of the only competent game developers at the studio, yet they treat him like a tool?
No.194507
Anonymous
Is it nationalist to say holy shit, Japanese game companies really fucking suck?
No.194508
Anonymous
Replies:>>194509
>>194507
Are you implying EA and Activision are any better?
No.194509
Anonymous
>>194508
At least their suckage is due to them being assholes, and not because of Japan's business culture.
No.194510
Anonymous
>>194507
Not unless you're making the opposite statement and saying your homeland's companies are better than anyone else's.
No.194513
Anonymous
>>194507
Well if the shitstorms over the Xkit guy on Tumblr mean anything, if you're American or even American-passing, anything negative you say about another country is automatically racist. Even if the thing you're complaining about includes literal genocide. Goddamnit Tumblr.

Platinum games is a Japanese company too isn't it? I think the newer ones are a lot savvier.
save file
image:143016416200.jpg(243kB , 900x600 , 4.jpg)
It all ends this Halloween.

Will you be ready for the final trip to Freddy’s?
save file
image:143016434800.jpg(191kB , 900x600 , YXqk3j6.jpg)
>>194514

And brightened.

NIGHTMARE
No.194516
Anonymous
Replies:>>194523
>>194515
I thought 3 said The End.
No.194517
Anonymous
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3341839/silent-hills-may-officially-cancelled/

Welp, it's official.
No.194519
Anonymous
//youtube.com/watch?v=CINA288fZUsyoutube thumb

So, is this a bunch of multiplayer mode footage (assuming they carry that forward from Origins) or are you, as Batman, constantly going to be shadowed by various AI sidekicks?

Also, man, Arkham Knight's identity really is kind of a mystery, huh? Batman doesn't have too many villains that could fund an army that haven't already been used in these games.
No.194520
Anonymous
Replies:>>194523
>>194514
I thought 3 was the last game or did he take that back due to dosh?
No.194521
Anonymous
>>194515
>Freddy
>Nightmare

Is this going where I think it's going?
No.194523
Anonymous
Replies:>>194531
>>194516
>>194520
3 could have been the end, chronologically, to the series. I believe there's still one location we haven't visited (the original pizza place, that was bought out and turned into Freddy Fazbear's Pizza), so it could be a pre/inter-quel. Since >>194514 is an image of a severely-deteriorated Freddy (crawling with little Freddies), this could take place between the original place shutting down and someone stumbling upon it (where the animatronics were left and the merchandise they sold also came to life.) Will be interesting to see how the little Freddies will change the game.

But more importantly I'm excited to see markiplier freak out at something new.
No.194527
Jumpman
>We're going to remove the payment feature from the Skyrim workshop. For anyone who spent money on a mod, we'll be refunding you the complete amount. We talked to the team at Bethesda and they agree.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/SteamWorkshop/announcements/detail/208632365253244218
No.194528
Nøpe
>>194527
Good.
Maybe they'll get it right next time. Something more in line with the uncertain nature of mods.
No.194530
Anonymous
>>194527
I'm not 100% against the idea of monetizing mods depending on the precise nature and scope of said mods but they really, really, really aren't ready to implement this policy yet.
save file
image:143018463500.jpg(14kB , 214x321 , Friday the 13th Part 4.jpg)
>>194523

Technically, there are two locations we haven’t see in the FNAF games yet: the original Fredbear's Diner and the "sister location" mentioned in the Phone Guy tapes in FNAF3. And Scott could forgo showing us those locations by showing us the fate of Springtrap after the fire that burned down Fazbear’s Frights.

In any case, we’ll have to wait until Scott decides to release the game (which could damn well happen before Halloween, all things considered). But just remember one thing about that Final Chapter designation: another famous horror series referred to its fourth installment as "The Final Chapter", too.
No.194535
Anonymous
Replies:>>194536
I bought Lmaobox.

It's therapeutic.
No.194536
Anonymous
Replies:>>194538
>>194535
>paying to ruin other people's fun

Consider suicide.
save file
image:143019317100.jpg(579kB , 1426x932 , wZrhM7V.jpg)
//youtube.com/watch?v=iMK-kajdgMAyoutube thumb

Probably hyperbole, but man Japanese corporate culture is beyond fucked up.
No.194538
Anonymous
Replies:>>194638
>>194536
I'm not being obvious with it.

I just have auto-backstab and a very, very small FOV for headshots. It's not exactly ruining fun, I'm not going Heavy/Sniper and just wiping everyone out: It just makes me on the level of any really competent player now.
No.194539
Anonymous
>>194537
Time to go make some Mecha Space Cop magic. In movies and games.
No.194540
Anonymous
>>194537
Its almost as if there is such a thing as investigative journalism!
No.194541
Anonymous
Replies:>>194542
The Konami thing really is the worst case scenario. While they're getting out of the videogame business, the actual company is nowhere near failing, so the IPs they own won't be sold off and never ever see the light of day as videogames again. Castlevania pachislots still have valuable brand recognition after all.
No.194542
Anonymous
>>194541
Damn shame though, I really wanted a Big Boss Figma or Figuarts. Guess we should be thankful Nintendo started as a games company and literally saved console gaming after the '80s crash so they still give a damn despite their missteps.

Though I can understand the heartbreak he probably feels after having been there most his life and developed games for them for them to suddenly turn on him and the people under him in his department. Maybe out of the ashes will rise Outer Heaven Productions. And we'll be treated to a new era of Cyberpunk and Mecha Combat games.
No.194543
Jumpman
Replies:>>194552
Mighty No. 9 coming out digitally and physically on September 18th.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/28/mighty-no-9-release-date-announced?+main+twitter
No.194550
Anonymous
What platforms is the game out for?
No.194552
Anonymous
Replies:>>194553
>>194514
>It all ends

That gravy train is never going to end as long as people rush to buy it in the hopes that they get views from screaming at it first on Youtube. He's going to keep this going on and on until it stops printing money.

As for Kojima and Konami going out of its way to out fuck-up Capcom as the King of Suicidal Japanese Game Companies, the man is going to be courted by every player in the field. As much as he can cost, EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Bethesda, Nintendo, Sony and even Microsoft would probably waste a small fortune in snagging him to a deal so long as he produces another MGS like successful franchise - if they all aren't getting out the knives and forks waiting for the Konami firesale of IP. Which, at this point, is a fucking blessing as I want another goddamn Suikoden. Konami can't die on the moblie only hill fast enough.

>>194543
Only bad part is that they're teaming up with Deep Silver. Oh boy, is that troubling news.
No.194553
Anonymous
Replies:>>194557
>>194552
Scott never said 3 was going to be the last game, he just implied it. This isn't the 80's. It would actually hurt both sales and his reputation if he openly claimed so hard that this was the last game, and then made another one afterwards.
No.194554
Anonymous
Replies:>>194557
He keeps going as long as he has story for it
save file
image:143029889400.jpg(23kB , 444x322 , 1287432895880.jpg)
>TF2
>f2p engi
>builds sentry
>keeps whacking it with wrench nonstop even with no metal
>calmly tell him to go get some metal if he wants to upgrade his sentry
>looks at me for 5 seconds
>ignores and keeps whacking sentry

What the FUCK is it with Engineer always being babby's first class and babby's first FPS experience? I hardly ever see an Engineer that even has a Gibus. It's always someone who either is too young to know what they're doing or literally starting playing an hour ago. I see dumbass F2Ps who run out with their gun and expect it to be like CoD, but never do I see them just stand there and do NOTHING but look around, unless it's an Engi.
No.194557
Anonymous
>>194553
So like how supposedly embarrassed he will be when FNAF5 goes Jason X or Freddy in Hell when its announced next year? Listen, Scott is a fucking sweatshop that will keep working this thread until people forget about it. Nothing more shameless than any other video game sequel train and nothing less. If you like it, go ahead and buy it, but he's milking this shit whether or not you think its good. He isn't blind to the money he's making now that they apparently have a fucking movie deal in the works.
>>194554
What story? He knows damn well that apparently the millions of people that watch Smike's daily top ten whatever will see the goddamn riddle of steel in anything he could put out and intentionally leaves everything as vague as you can so the rumors keep milling. They're eager to overanalyze everything from anything at the drop of the hat and that's what keeps them coming back. Its just scary robotics and dead kids. That's it, that's all a good horror tale needs to be. An effective setting. There are no characters except the mascots and even they're just shit that screams at you. Everything else is a name of some security stiff you're theoretically playing as, fluff that will likely never be addressed such as the idenites of how many kids died where, voices Scott probably laughs at as he makes recordings of them or atari blobs that have no real names. Fans came up with Purple and Phone guy and that's how its stayed for now four titles.

As much as I don't like this franchise, the man knows what makes creatures like Pyramid Head iconic. Keep shit simple and let the fans obsess and scare themselves over what "really happened".
No.194558
Anonymous
>>194557
>It's popular, so obviously he's a sellout and a filthy cash milking capitalist pig

You reek of /v/.
No.194559
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
>>194557

You seem upset. If—IF—he makes FNAF5 despite declaring 4 as "The Final Chapter", so what? His fanbase and the market in general will decide if he deserves any sort of success by beating a reanimated animatronic dead horse. (I'm honestly surprised he hasn't considered that as a character yet.)

I bet some fans think 4 is already beating Corpsey the Horsey; I'm actually someone who thought 3 should’ve been the finalé, too. But if he can make a compelling-enough game and provide loads of answers to the few remaining questions of the storyline, I don't see what the big deal is. I mean, it’s not like anyone is forcing me to play the game/watch Letsplays of the game/read the FNAF wiki/talk about the franchise.

If you don’t like the series, all power to you—but don’t make other people feel bad about liking the series (for any reason). Talk about things you like instead of trying to tear down things you dislike; you'll do yourself a favor in the long run by taking that approach.

Worthless anger ain’t a good look, son.
No.194566
Anonymous
>>194559
Not gonna play the games myself but I like seeming them played and watching them be clue hunted and dissected.
No.194567
Anonymous
Replies:>>194568
>>194566
Same. I did buy FNAF during a sale and will likely buy 2/3/4 at some point to give Scott the money, but I'm not a fan of horror games in the least and will likely never play them myself.
No.194568
Anonymous
>>194567
Yea I like to listen to LPs in the background while I work.
No.194569
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
>>194566

I’m much the same way. (I wouldn't mind playing at least #1, but my years-old rig sucks ass, so no go on that.)
No.194580
Anonymous
Replies:>>194581
>>194579
What the fuck is wrong with their noses? I really don't dig the direction Penny Arcade's art style has gone in.
>>194580
They decided to stop being so lazy with their art.
That means they have to add more minute details like freckles and flushed faces.
No.194582
Anonymous
Replies:>>194583
>>194581
The art isn't 'less lazy', it just looks like crap.
No.194583
Anonymous
>>194582
It is, in fact, less lazy. It's also less appealing. But it is objectively more technically proficient.
No.194584
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>194585
>>194579

…fuckin’ Tumblr Nose, man.
No.194585
Anonymous
Replies:>>194588
>>194584
You know, I don't really get that complaint. It's used a lot, yeah, but it's never looked that bad to me unless the art doesn't appeal to me overall.
No.194587
Anonymous
>>194579
I thought Tycho was supposed to be a werewolf in the left panel or something because of his nose.
No.194588
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
>>194585

I've seen otherwise-okay art ruined by Tumblr Nose (and those fucking rosy cheeks). That shit comes off like an artist is expressing their personal clown fetish.
Replies:>>194596
save file
image:143041518600.jpg(436kB , 1500x1000 , 50s style.jpg)
>>194588
I just don't see it.
To me it just looks like they're echoing the styles and trends of 50's Americana youth to make shit cute and quaint.
save file
image:143042107300.jpg(307kB , 780x1158 , tumblr_nmgkj9MHRS1rwdc85o3_1280[1].jpg)
>>194588
There's an actual artistic use for it, stone. Its replicated by young, amateur artists frequently (which is associated with tumblr for because whatever i guess) because it makes for a generally appealing image. Its up there with the big eyes, large forehead and such of features.
Its the reason the character designs in My Little Pony hit that home run more than any earlier attempt.

That said, anyone who knows or is educated about actual illustration (not just cartooning or on a very loose self-teaching plan) will tell you why that is:
On the basest level, it makes for a more varied design in terms of colour. It allows the face to have some sense of visual variety and volume as to not make it so monotone and one-note.
There's also the fact that in reality, its also taught in painting - the face has a concentration of blood in the middle area: cheeks, ears and nose. The first cases you see of that usage of 'red nose' is a stylization of said colouring theory.

There's also the fact that in general, it lends a face a more tangible appearance. Its not even completely based in colour, either. There's cases like with say, Faith Erink Hicks where its used to, again, give a face something more than just features, and in some instances, these 'garnishes' make things like eyes or expressions pop out all the more, even in black and white.
And as you can see here its done for that exact reason in this page from Appleseed by Masamune Shirow.

In the end, its not that it isn't overused. Its up there with the anime eyes and the triangle mouth for younger artists in terms of misunderstood usage. But there is a reason for it other than a cold climate, and the key of the matter is understanding why its done, and being able to identify an educated artist using it to express style and visual competency.

and man, Gabe is a really fuckin talented illustrator. but sometimes I think his heart is just not that into it anymore.
Replies:>>194594
save file
image:143042332800.png(351kB , 404x737 , 1427818104865.png)
>>194592

>it makes for a generally appealing image

Maybe for some people. But does this pic really look “generally appealing”?

I get that there’s an actual artistic use for it. I’m aware that, in specific instances, it actually does aid and enhance a design. But Tumblr Nose is often applied without that purpose in mind; I’ve seen it used on fanart of Korra, and she sure as hell doesn’t need Tumblr Nose to enhance her design.

(And it gets associated with Tumblr because Tumblr is the current “big site” for amateur artists to share their work. And since amateur artists tend to ape techniques without regard for their actual purpose…well, you get the point.)

I’m not against the usage of Tumblr Nose when it’s necessary/useful to enhance a design. But this pic and that Penny Arcade strip doesn’t need it.
No.194594
Anonymous
>>194593
>In the end, its not that it isn't overused. Its up there with the anime eyes and the triangle mouth for younger artists in terms of misunderstood usage. But there is a reason for it other than a cold climate, and the key of the matter is understanding why its done, and being able to identify an educated artist using it to express style and visual competency.
Replies:>>194598
save file
image:143042479100.png(73kB , 218x273 , tumblr_mdlw3dy1CW1rlqwkfo8_250.png)
>>194592
>Its replicated by young, amateur artists frequently (which is associated with tumblr for because whatever i guess) because it makes for a generally appealing image.
>generally appealing image

Seriously? Also if Appleseed qualifies as Tumblr nose, I counter it with the noses in part 4/5/6 of Jojo. A lot of people (including me) cite it as the least appealing element of the art style, and it getting dropped marks one of the aspects in which Steel Ball Run's art really picks up.
Replies:>>194598
save file
image:143042540200.png(60kB , 483x339 , 1421870755092.png)
>>194589
It's fine when it's used to represent blush or more blood flow at the nose. But I've seen art where the character has normal skin tones that exist naturally in humans, and then their nose alone is bright #FF0000 red.
save file
image:143042692200.png(872kB , 468x2395 , tutorial_colour04.png)
>>194595
Ye, babe. Seriously. Look up 'character appeal'. Its one of the main tennants in animated characters but given the interchangeable nature of art education subjects its used in other media.
Also its almost as if you didnt look at the picture.

>>194596
Its almost as if stylization was a thing. Honestly, if I didn't know any better I'd say you're not an artist!

you dont like how some amateurs use it. thats fine. They don't know how to pull off stylization 90% of the time. Fuck a doodle doo. Its almost as if art in general was easy to fuck up!
No.194599
Anonymous
Replies:>>194606
>>194598
Stop getting so buttblasted. The second post was basically reiterating the same point as you but without the passive-aggressiveness.
No.194600
Anonymous
Replies:>>194602
>>194598
Considering the pics you just posted are within the realm of plausible human skintones, and the color isn't isolated in a way that makes it look like the result of facepaint, I don't think that art qualifies. What other people here are describing as Tumblr nose is specifically the use of it in bad ways (like that Penny Arcade comic). Nobody is saying that red noses always look bad. That claim is equally as fallacious as the claim that it's used because it always looks good or is generally appealing.

Also holy shit you are taking this way too seriously.
No.194601
Anonymous
>>194581
Really? The proportions on their faces seem sloppier or less consistent compared to several years back where the heads had more consistent proportions and structure. It might be a willful stylistic choice, but the result gives the impression of looking lazier as a result, even if it's not.
No.194602
Anonymous
Replies:>>194603
>>194600
>Also holy shit you are taking this way too seriously.
Because as much as you are pretending like this is not a case of "always looking bad," things like "Tumblr nose" are used by self-appointed gatekeepers to marginalize artists without actually applying any sort of critical thinking to what they're looking at. The fact that you personally might apply critical thinking to a piece of art doesn't change the fact that imageboard culture, as a whole, is simplistic, tribalistic, and based on behaviors that will get you attention rather than on any actual critical thinking, and that means that memes like "Tumblr nose" are used as tribal identifiers about who does and does not deserve consideration.

This shit is important to artists. When you oversimplify or try to apply "rules" to art that are not based on any actual understanding of art, you may think you're only insulting one particular artist, but you're making an assault on all artists. Those of us who are arguing this right now may not even particularly like Gabe or his art style, but when you start extrapolating stupid rules of art based on poor understandings of the work of one or two people, or of a lot of amateurs, you hurt artistic development as a whole. And that is something that people who dedicate themselves to art take seriously, even if you don't.
No.194603
Anonymous
>>194602
Maybe on 4Chan or whatever, but here even the people who are complaining about it usually qualify their statements first so I don't see what the big fuss about.
save file
image:143043473100.jpg(302kB , 2500x2500 , yookalayleeduojpg-9d255d.jpg)
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/30/spiritual-successor-to-banjo-kazooie-reveals-its-lead-characters

Time to get hype?
No.194606
F-ing
>>194599
>buttblasted
I'm flashing back to so many commissions in 2013. Seriously though, its art talk. I could go on all day about colour theory alone.

>>194605
Honestly, I'm anticipating the soundtrack for this even more. If it captures at all the spirit of the Banjo games I'll be 100% down with this. Love the direction it has so far and I'm SO there for the KS.
No.194607
Anonymous
>>194605
Yooka the chameleon is pretty cute but Laylee looks kind of like a derpy Stitch clone with that dumb nose.
No.194608
Omegon
>>194605
Mite be cool. Should be fi-
>kickstarter
Yeah, no thank you.
No.194609
Anonymous
>>194608
this.

what the hell, are executives too poor to pay the devs or something?
No.194610
Anonymous
Replies:>>194612
>>194609
I thought this group went off and did their own thing, so no real funding yet.
No.194611
Anonymous
>>194608
>>194609
If a developer can do ANYTHING that isn't crowdfunding, you'd better believe they'd do it. This is also a good solution for developers to retain ownership lest their characters and ideas go the wayside like Viewtiful Joe or Banjo and Kazooie themselves.
No.194612
Anonymous
>>194608
>>194609
>>194610
Yeah I think it's because they're basically a bunch of ex-Rares who banded together rather than being absorbed into another company that might not have humored them, so they have nobody to back them up without resorting to crowdfunding.
No.194613
Anonymous
>>194605
Looks fun, I'm glad that's still in the works. Speaking of games by ex-Rare employees, anyone here play Tengami? I've been thinking of figuring out how to move my Wii shop points over to the WiiU to try and use those to buy it. Are Wii shop points even usable in the new store, or did it change to a different system?
No.194615
Nøpe
Replies:>>194618
>>194605
I'm cautiously extremely hyped.
Having the people is great.

Finding people who know how to handle the money seems to be a rarity.
No.194617
Anonymous
The multiplatform thing is what makes me really happy.
No.194618
Jumpman
>>194615
>Finding people who know how to handle the money seems to be a rarity.

The thing is, situations like Broken Age where developing costs are underestimated is common in the gaming industry. You don't hear about it because publishers have no reason to share it to the public. Developers who use Kickstarter, however, owe it to their backers.

Bioshock Infinite's budget became bloated over the years, but we didn't hear about that until the developer shut down, over the game's disappointing performance. (http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/6/5474722/why-did-irrational-close-bioshock-infinite).

There's no science to guaranteeing how much a game will cost. And it's asinine to hear so many act like they know the practice themselves.
No.194619
Anonymous
>>194618
I think part of that is when they have so many ideas and not a clear vision. Infinite was one of those. Starting to develop as one kinda game, get distracted by one bit and then start rebuilding it into another type of game which takes money and time (more money) to realize that vision and shape it.
No.194620
Nøpe
Replies:>>194622
>>194618
>Bioshock Infinite's budget became bloated over the years, but we didn't hear about that until the developer shut down, over the game's disappointing performance. (http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/6/5474722/why-did-irrational-close-bioshock-infinite).
Though as a tester for a port, having to pour over every inch of that game for 6 months and comparing it to the trailers and cut content in my breaks, it was pretty clear to me they made a lot of resets. I am not a stranger to inflated projects.

Designers like Levine have a poor sense of reasonable scope. Some developers just get too obsessed with their vision and fall outside of their means.
Just because it happens often does not make it okay. If anything, it's a big problem.
No.194622
Anonymous
>>194620
It is, its something being talked about in the movie stuff with everyone wanting to try and be the "next marvel" Good game series come from clear scope and with a steady hand on the rudder guiding it all through.

This can and a few times is mucked up by the Publisher who after the first success wants it bigger and better the next time with all kinds of new things. Which can lead the developer to lose focus and start cramming in unnecessary bits and make a bit mess because a lot of those parts need to be babysat since they are unproven which means less time for actually developing what made things work well the first time.
No.194623
Anonymous
honestly i think the rare guys probably have it under control
No.194624
Anonymous
Replies:>>194625
The problem with budgeting for video games is that making a video game is an iterative and holistic process. You have to build something before you can see if it works. Sometimes what seems like a good idea in your head will turn out to be impossible, or completely impractical, when actually put into action. That's not something that happens very often in other media; when you're making a movie, for example, if you get to the shoot and it turns out that the actor's performance isn't selling the scene like you thought, or one of the camera tricks you wanted to try doesn't work the way you thought it would, you just go back one level of planing and tweak things. It's extremely rare that a scene won't work to the extent that it requires you to throw out almost everything you have so far and start over completely.

But for video games, because there's really no way to know how well a system works until the entire game is assembled, that happens all the time. Well, you don't usually have to throw it out completely, there's usually something you can salvage, but extricating that safely from the stuff its built on and around is time-intensive on its own.

Budgeting video games is hard. And it's always been hard, it's just usually been hidden from us until recently.
No.194625
Nøpe
>>194624
A major problem with it is developers and publishers often make huge sweeping changes when they feel something needs to be different without considering how deeply it will impact the budget or worse yet, the feel of the game as a whole, which often comes with even more changes. I've seen it happen dozens of times before.
Yes, there's instances where you can't be sure if something will work, but you shouldn't spend time constructing an entire process before you can accurately test it, and you shouldn't throw away a process because it doesn't match your vision or story to a T. Especially if your vision or story changes every 1-2 months.

It would be a great boon if many developers could set a practical vision, stick to it, and have the strength to cut out the parts that can't work before they eat up your development time. Budgets like this can't be 100% accurate, and I'm not saying they won't encounter unforeseeable and costly errors, but they sure as hell can be better adhered to.
Replies:>>194646
save file
image:143050286400.png(232kB , 700x513 , budget.png)
Optimism rising.
No.194628
Anonymous
Replies:>>194630
Oh hey they've got it all worked out. Will the music be done by the one we hope?
No.194630
Nøpe
>>194628
>Yooka-Laylee will feature a truly mouth-watering (ear-leaking?) soundtrack created in collaboration by three of gaming’s greatest composers, the legendary David Wise (Donkey Kong Country, Diddy Kong Racing), equally esteemed Banjo-Kazooie composer Grant Kirkhope (Viva Piñata, GoldenEye 007) and Banjo and Conker sound effects supremo Steve Burke (Kameo: Elements of Power).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playtonic/yooka-laylee-a-3d-platformer-rare-vival?ref=category_featured
No.194631
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
>>194630

Holy shit, that trio. I'm impressed.
No.194632
Anonymous
>>194630
>David Wise (Donkey Kong Country)
>Yes, we employ the man responsible for DK64's myriad of trinkets, but we've had a stern word.
Yey.
No.194633
Anonymous
Replies:>>194636
>>194630
38 minutes.

It got fully funded. In 38 minutes.
No.194634
Anonymous
>>194630
Welp, threw my share in. Woohoo.
No.194635
Anonymous
Replies:>>194646
No.194636
Anonymous
>>194633
Here's hoping it doesn't turn into another Broken Age.

I mean, I understand that Broken Age as a whole is considered good, but boy was getting there a struggle.
save file
image:143052293900.png(47kB , 584x304 , tumblr_nnonod7C3I1qjsz1ho1_1280.png)
No.194638
Anonymous
>>194538
It makes you on the level of a fleck of excrement on the ass of a competent player. If your therapy is cheating, feeling accomplished for things you didn't earn, and impeding on those who are legitimately improving, consider suicide thoroughly.
No.194641
Anonymous
Replies:>>194643
I'm wondering if the new game will innovate from Banjo-Kazooie in any major way. Most of the stretch goals sound like they're offering the same things the original games + DK64 did.
No.194643
Anonymous
>>194641
I'm sure they have their fair share of surprises that are already part of it, but you should definitely expect the core gameplay to be like a classic 3D platformer.
save file
image:143054376300.jpg(28kB , 600x300 , 1336245020225.jpg)
>>194627
>>194630
>>194635
>Grant Kirkhope
Ok, I'm sold.
https://youtu.be/Gvk1ZRs9IUM
No.194647
Anonymous
Replies:>>194648
Awaiting the Jontron reaction to this.
No.194648
Anonymous
>>194647
$5300 dollar backer tier, I'm guessing.
No.194649
Anonymous
Replies:>>194650
>>194648
Put all that Patreon money to good use.
No.194650
Anonymous
>>194648
>>194649
I can hear Grant now...
>"Oh not this fucken twat again!"
No.194652
Anonymous
Replies:>>194656
>>194650
Jon comes in with Backback and Bird
No.194653
Anonymous
>>194650
Jon comes in with Backback and Bird
No.194654
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>194655
So! Funny story. Scott Cawthon put a bunch of 8s and 7s into his site's code when he posted the teaser for FNAF4. Fans of the games put the numbers (in order) into Google Maps...and got the coordinates for an actual goddamn pizzeria. They flooded the place with calls until several FNAF fans on Reddit cleared up rumors that the pizzeria had an actual connection to the games (it didn't). Scott himself made his first post on Reddit to deconfirm the rumors (and later removed the 8s and 7s from his site's code).

But on the bright side of things, the pizzeria didn't hold a grudge: http://www.reddit.com/r/fivenightsatfreddys/comments/34g2n1/the_real_freddysjk/
No.194655
Anonymous
>>194654
That's hilarious and awesome that the manager had a sense of humor about it instead of acting like an asshole.
No.194656
Anonymous
>>194652
>Jontron makes a cameo in the game

This needs to happen.
No.194657
The Sneaky Tiki
Bats and Chameleons > Bears and Birds.
No.194659
Anonymous
>>194657
I am always one for cute reptile mascots.
Replies:>>194661
save file
image:143061985600.png(67kB , 371x163 , illcutyou.PNG)
>>194657
BANJO & KAZOOIE 4 LYFE
No.194661
The Sneaky Tiki
No.194662
Anonymous
Replies:>>194673
>>194657
>>194661
Them's fightin' words.
No.194664
Nøpe
Replies:>>194673
>>194657
>>194661
Tiki.
Tiki, why?
No.194665
Anonymous
Replies:>>194666
>>194605
You'd think Rare or Capcom would copyright their character concepts so that nobody could make obvious ripoffs like this. I mean ex-Rare devs or not, a ripoff is a ripoff.
No.194666
Anonymous
>>194665
Copyright doesn't protect mere concepts. Just Intellectual Properties. They can't make Megaman or Banjo Kazooie, but anyone can make whatever they want and sell it.
Its up to the market to decide if it makes money. And the market clearly wants it, so no reason to get corporate on us, anon.
No.194667
Anonymous
>>194559
If I was mad than why do you care you try to find a reason to defend liking it instead of doing it anyway despite what I typed? All I'm saying is the man has a gold mine and he's working it, speaking as an outsider looking in. I'm also taking into account how quickly he's squeezed them out before and the likelihood of how he'll do it again as if there's anything that will keep making sequels, prequels and reboots, its horror. The only one that seems to be "mad" at how plausible my idea is - well, it seems to be you and the guy that screamed /v/ because I saw his model a business.

Y'know, because he could have just have easily started work on another type of game instead of put out 4 games in the span of about a year. Just Saiyan.

As for Yuka, I'm expecting Microsoft to hastily hobble together a Banjo Kazooie game by E3 in retaliation to this. They are, after all, desperate enough to make Holo "augmented reality" lens to appear like they can play with Sony, Google and every other company's VR fad item.
No.194668
Anonymous
>>194667
>They are, after all, desperate enough to make Holo "augmented reality" lens
Damn it, for a second I thought you meant they're making the next Halo hololens compatible and got excited at the idea.
No.194669
Anonymous
>>194630
>GK rap written by Grant Kirkhope
all of my money
No.194671
Anonymous
Replies:>>194675
>>194667
>As for Yuka, I'm expecting Microsoft to hastily hobble together a Banjo Kazooie game by E3 in retaliation to this.

The same way Capcom scrambled together to make a new Megaman after M9 got announced. Yep.
Who cares? If they do, great. More fuckin games.
No.194673
The Sneaky Tiki
Replies:>>194680
>>194662
>>194664
Ukuleles > Banjos and kazoos
No.194674
Anonymous
How can anyone play FPS with a fucking gamepad? That shit is straight-up fucking unplayable.
save file
image:143066659500.png(89kB , 606x432 , 1423771307131.png)
>>194671
>As for Yuka, I'm expecting Microsoft to hastily hobble together a Banjo Kazooie game by E3 in retaliation to this.

It's been rumored for a while now. Especially when Phil Spencer has talked about reviving Rare IPs from the past.

There's also no reason to retaliate, since the game is coming to Xbox One anyway.
No.194676
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
>>194675

>There's also no reason to retaliate

Oh like that would stop Microsoft.
No.194677
Nøpe
Replies:>>194678
>>194675
>reviving Rare IPs from the past.
I'd be surprised if they did a new BK before Battle Toads. What with the coy little cameos they've been littering around.
No.194678
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
>>194677

That Shovel Knight bonus content is amazing, BTW.
No.194679
Anonymous
What I don't get is why bringing back old IP is seen as the only option other than Kinect Sports games. Rare's old IP was a hit when it was new thanks in part to the charmingly distinct characters it had, but all they've made recently is some sports mascots that don't really seem prominent enough to justify a purchase.
No.194680
Nøpe
>>194673
>Ukuleles > Banjos
But they're so quaint together.
//youtube.com/watch?v=mG4Eni3P-1wyoutube thumb
No.194681
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
>>194679

A new IP, especially in the AAA gaming realm, is a hugely risky endeavour these days.
No.194682
Anonymous
>>194681
Thankfully I don't consider DK,BK and now YL stuff to be that close to AAA
No.194683
The Sneaky Tiki
Replies:>>194684
HOLY SHIT, EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. Every former Rare employee has a DISGUSTINGLY embarrassing story about Microsoft's mismanagement of their talents.

I haven't heard anything this saddening coming out of the industry since "Team Silent broken up and relegated to mobile games."
No.194684
Anonymous
Replies:>>194697
>>194683
So a couple weeks ago.
No.194685
Anonymous
Replies:>>194687
YL is also a new ip in only the loosest sense really.
No.194687
Omegon
>>194685
I think you don't know how IPs work. It is a new IP legally speaking, which is important.
No.194692
Anonymous
Replies:>>194693
>>194687
no
its an ip in the sense that i p on it.
No.194693
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
>>194692

That joke was so bad, even Carlos Mencia wouldn't steal it.
No.194694
Anonymous
Replies:>>194695
>>194687
You misunderstood what I mean. People talking about how it's a big risk because it's a new IP are ridiculous. It's not some out of left field unknown, it's banjo and Kazooie kickstarted by some Rare people. That's the least risky thing in the world and there's nothing new about it but the name.
No.194695
Anonymous
Replies:>>194696
>>194694
What's risky in your opinion, then? Gone Home? Life is Strange? Pokemon?
Everything is derivative of something.
No.194696
Anonymous
Replies:>>194698
>>194695
Yes, yes, and when it first came out yes. But this is more like Pokemon now, it's not derivative of something it just is that thing, and as a kickstarter it's just asking the people who've been asking for one of that thing for ages if they'd like one.

I mean it's cool you can get one but don't pretend there's a major risk to it.
No.194697
The Sneaky Tiki
>>194684
Yeah, I'm catching up.
Replies:>>194700
save file
image:143071420100.png(361kB , 551x627 , 1337528464515.png)
>>194696
>but don't pretend there's a major risk to it.
something im sure everyone was doing
No.194699
Anonymous
>>194679
The people that work there now are not the people that worked there then.
No.194700
Anonymous
Replies:>>194701
>>194698
See
>>194681
Which is who I was talking about. Thanks for playing!
Replies:>>194703
save file
image:143071747600.png(154kB , 330x327 , 46aab83fe7b4d90b3956543da8147f54.png)
>>194700
oh no one person said risky oh no what now oh no you sure showed me
No.194702
Anonymous
SO HOW ABOUT THOSE VIDEOGAMES.

OH NO NOTCH IS BLOCKING PEOPLE BECAUSE MICROSOFT.

MARIO KART DS IS STILL THE BEST GAME OF ALL TIME.

ANYTHING.
No.194703
Anonymous
Replies:>>194709
>>194701
Posting reaction images doesn't count as making an argument or a point.
No.194709
Nøpe
>>194703
There's no argument or point to pursue. At this point it's just bickering.
Let's get back to discussing what's actually relevant.
No.194714
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>194715
SEGA's downward spiral into its ultimate demise continues:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/05/04/sega-will-not-have-its-own-booth-at-e3-2015.aspx
No.194715
Anonymous
>>194714
Konami is following the same path that SegaSammy took: Sammy does booku bucks in Pachinko machines, and the merger with Sega just took some of the characters to use in that. The video game sector of SegaSammy has been a continually smaller part of the overall business, likely thanks to a lot of SEGA's missteps. So it wouldn't be surprising if SEGA just drops out of games completely except for cheap mobile games.

Unfortunately, like Konami, it's a worst-outcome situation: They would still hold all of their properties, and likely would not license them out (especially after Sonic Boom). If we're lucky they'll let existing licenses renew in perpetuity as long as they don't tarnish the brand and are easy money.
No.194719
Jumpman
http://swordorwhip.com/

Whip. The correct answer is whip.
save file
image:143080952300.png(12kB , 600x600 , Sword whip.PNG)
>>194719
Why not both?
save file
image:143082198200.jpg(263kB , 1400x1850 , Spoiler image)
>>194719
I'll take both magic and rings.
No.194723
girder
Replies:>>194726
http://www.bmrf.us/zero.html?1194285
No.194726
Anonymous
>>194723
>Xen still not available

*sigh*
No.194727
Anonymous
Replies:>>194728
>>194724
Speaking of
http://blip.tv/jontron

>>194725
He's probably still doing a "voice" for it.
No.194728
Anonymous
>>194727
Ok, so my post jumped to a different thread... Interesting.
No.194729
Anonymous
I think I finally figured out why I haven't been able to get through my massive Steam backlog. It's not because of me getting older and disinterested in games, it's the PC environment in general.

On a console, sitting on a couch in front of a big screen tv, I'm so immersed I can play for hours and hours on end. But on PC, I can only play for an hour at a time before I get the urge to do something else. After hooking up my TV as a separate monitor and using Big Picture Mode, I've been cruising through my backlog.
No.194732
Bunker
>>194729
Its why I had to get tablets for work. Its too easy to find other stuff to do on a PC rather than
No.194733
Jumpman
Konami is making sure that everyone still hates them.

http://kotaku.com/kojimas-pt-eradicated-from-psn-cant-even-be-re-downloa-1702464340
No.194744
Anonymous
Capcom's decline has been slow and painful, but it almost seems like Konami went to hell in a hand basket overnight.
No.194745
Nøpe
>>194744
That's what happens when you cut off your strongest part.

It's honestly baffling.
No.194746
Anonymous
>>194744
Capcom has slowly been getting better though, if DMC4 SE is any indication.
No.194748
Anonymous
Replies:>>194749
>>194744
Really? When was the last time they did something great?
No.194749
Anonymous
Replies:>>194751
>>194748
It's been a while since Konami put out something great and they've churned out some terrible stuff, but Silent Hills looked like it might have turned things around. The one-two punch of losing Kojima and Silent Hills in such a short span of time have really soured the company's image, possibly beyond repair.
No.194750
Anonymous
>>194729
Huh, I should give that a try. I know I have more than a few Steam titles that would be find with a controller, and I'm hoping to make a new HTPC here soon...
No.194751
Bunker
Replies:>>194752
>>194749
Thing is they are gearing themselves to just not care. They get money from gambling and health clubs that equals their Digital gaming with less costs. Only person that gave a damn is the one that devoted about thirty years of their life to the company and is now walking away.

I can't imagine how much this hurts Kojima to see the company that grew with him turn on him in such a way.
No.194752
Nøpe
>>194751
I'm not too worried about him. He'll get hired at any place he applies.

It's just a shame that all those Konami and old Hudson properties are basically locked away for who knows how long, delegated to japan only pachinko machines and maybe the occasional mobile game if development is cheap enough. Then again, I'm probably looking at it from a worst case scenario. If they really where stepping away from videogames, it would do better for them to just auction the properties.
save file
image:143094872600.png(30kB , 569x862 , Yooka Laylee the furry approved version.png)
Fresh from /v/. The filename says it all.
No.194754
Bunker
Replies:>>194761
>>194752
But then they couldn't bank on the Kitch Nostalgia of a theme Pachinko or Health Club.
No.194755
Anonymous
Replies:>>194756
>>194752
>I'm not too worried about him. He'll get hired at any place he applies.
I dunno. Kojima seems to be quite outside the norm for Japanese business relations. From interviews I've seen/read, he's far more direct and doesn't care much for tip-toeing/ceremony. (I could be completely wrong, though.)

He'd fit in well with the US (and has expressed his enjoyment of many Western properties and directors, like del Toro) and any company over here would offer him large bucks to join up.
save file
image:143095000600.jpg(125kB , 348x264 , kojima loves ass.jpg)
>>194755
I can see that, similar to how Tango Gameworks collaborated with Bethesda. Alternately he could join Platinum which is already full of Westaboos.
No.194757
Anonymous
Replies:>>194758
>>194753
Not going to lie, Laylee looks way better that way.
No.194758
Mister Twister
Replies:>>194759
>>194757
Which is the point. She is more kawaii, and less goofy.

The thing is, the creators WANTED her to be goofy.
No.194759
Anonymous
Replies:>>194761
>>194758
They could've made her goofy without looking, well, kind of ugly. My biggest problem with her is the droopy eyes so far.
No.194760
Anonymous
Replies:>>194762
>>194753
They got the genders wrong
No.194761
Nøpe
>>194754
That nostalgia can only last as long as people care. And they'll stop caring when they stop making real games for the series.
>>194759
I honestly like her kinda ugly. Gives her some nonstandard character.
No.194762
Anonymous
>>194760
Same. I actually thought thought Yooka was a girl and Laylee was a guy when the concept art first came out. It would've been nice to have the heavy lifter be female and the flier be male this time around, and the designs are done in such a way that nobody but the most sensitive babbies can accuse it of being preachy.
No.194764
Anonymous
>>194762
Could that be something broached at this point?
No.194768
Anonymous
Replies:>>194773
>>194762
I'm surprised now. I very much thought Yooka was the girl and Laylee the boy until just now. Weird.
No.194769
Sharkman Jhones
I didn't know anything about the project and thought they were both girls.
No.194771
Nøpe
I actually thought kazooiee was a guy till they referred to her as a she.
No.194773
Anonymous
>>194768
Wait, has it been confirmed then?
Replies:>>194775
save file
image:143104366900.jpg(242kB , 1700x1700 , Bat03i.jpg)
http://www.playtonicgames.com/the-man-behind-yooka-and-laylee/
Yooka is definitely a dude, at least. Also I like how Laylee looks better in this sketch than the final Jeremy Renner-esque version.
No.194775
Nøpe
>>194774
>I like how Laylee looks better in this sketch than the final Jeremy Renner-esque version.
Better clearly being a subjective term.
Replies:>>194777
save file
image:143105105100.jpg(236kB , 1200x1200 , 1430890284735.jpg)
I don't think they're too ugly, I think they're not ugly enough.
No.194777
Anonymous
>>194776
Oddly enough that pseudo-realism makes them even cuter.
Replies:>>194781
save file
image:143105411000.jpg(153kB , 900x600 , 4.jpg)
Guys, I think Scott's trying to kill himself via nightmare-induced cardiac arrest.
No.194781
Anonymous
Replies:>>194782
>>194779
Its not Bonnie though. Those those needle fingers freak me out.
No.194782
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>194783
>>194781

Look at those long-ass ears. That's Bonnie (in Nightmare form).
No.194783
Anonymous
>>194782

Five Fingers so this is Golden Bonnie/Springtrap still?
save file
video:143110475900.webm(3.81MB , 1280x720 , Aircraft_Assault_School_Perfect.webm)
I fucking love this game.

(Of course John Bain would be the only one to come out unscathed...)
Replies:>>194797
save file
image:143110583600.png(503kB , 621x884 , vote whip dammit.png)
And here we go.
No.194792
Nøpe
>A bunch of old Apogee/3D realms games are up on steam
>You have to buy a full $30 (Normally $40) Anthology pack to get any of them
Well fuck.
No.194797
Anonymous
Replies:>>194846
>>194789
Also relevant: Koji and a Doublefine employee play SotN on yt
No.194845
Anonymous
>>194837
wowitsfuckingnothing.jpg
Link is dead.
No.194846
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
No.194856
The Sneaky Tiki
the creative lead does offer an intriguing insight into the adaptive qualities of the cool chameleon, Yooka. "... when you eat larger, more significant objects the texture of the chameleon will change to reflect what he's eaten," reveals Price. "For example, if you were having to go across a windy ledge, and you ate a big rock, you'd see him go all 'rock textured' and... all of his movements all of a sudden would be a bit forced and slow and solid because he's heavier now."

So he's a little on the Kirby side.

http://www.gamesradar.com/what-can-yooka-laylees-animal-duo-actually-do/
No.194860
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Koji Igarashi isn’t waiting for Konami to let him make another “Igavania”. He’s waiting for your dosh instead:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night
Replies:>>194863
save file
image:143138173200.gif(5.42MB , 554x365 , oGKk7Zz.gif)
>>194860
>Funded in four hours
No.194863
thatother1dude !!/PKS88+dMMc
>>194862
Not shown: glass thrown off-screen, killing a small child.
No.194864
Anonymous
>>194860
>one of the stretch goals is David Hayter voice acting
Heh. Makes me wonder if his not being in MGSV had anything to do with all the Kojima-Konami politicking. Overall this project seems more modest than Yooka-Laylee, most likely because it's 2D. The art looks pretty nice although I would've preferred true-blue Ayame Kojima art but you take what you can get.
No.194865
Anonymous
>>194860
It's already funded after like eight hours.

While Kickstarter has been good for indie developers, it's looking better and better for "established" companies and developers/producers who got shit-canned by giant monoliths (Konami, EA, etc.). It also gives gamers a direct voice against these companies, telling them "This money could have been yours, oh well!"
No.194866
Anonymous
>>194860
>already funded

God damn. Get fucking shrekt, Konami.
No.194867
Anonymous
Replies:>>194868
I have mixed feelings about Igarashi helming the project. Sure he gave us Aria of Sorrow and Order of Ecclesia, and Portrait of Ruin was OK, but Dawn of Sorrow, all the incredibly forgettable PS2 games, and the godawful Judgement also happened under his watch.
No.194868
Anonymous
>>194867
The only bad thing about Dawn of Sorrow was the art change. And even then, it's what made Castlevania popular again. As for the other two, so what? He doesn't know how to make a 3D Castlevania and doesn't know how to make a fighting game. He's proven himself where it counts.
No.194869
Anonymous
Replies:>>194874
At first glance I thought the concept art were screenshots and the possibility of a Vanillaware style Castlevania with Iga at the helm made me cream my fucking pants. Now that I know it's gonna be 2.5D and be developed by Inti Creates, most of my hype has severely deflated. It's still neat and all, but probably not something I'd go out of my way to fund or even play.
No.194871
Nøpe
>>194860
Not a fan of the visual direction, but if the gameplay is anything like the inspiration, I am set.
save file
image:143139789600.jpg(74kB , 400x700 , shanoa-the-main-character-in-castlevania-order-of-ecclesia-big.jpg)
This sounds like it's going big on Order of Ecclestia and that is GOOD NEWS.
No.194874
Anonymous
Replies:>>194875
>>194869
At least they didn't fucking lie like they did with MM9. But art aside, Igarashi is a better designer than Inafune, we can expect a better game.
No.194875
Anonymous
>>194874
>At least they didn't fucking lie like they did with MM9.
Cliffnotes on what happened?
No.194876
Anonymous
>>194875
They said they wouldn't have SJWs!

In all likelihood he's probably talking about the second crowdfunding they did for extra content and voice acting, but that's only slightly less stupid.
No.194877
Anonymous
>>194875
Advertise a sprite based game and then drop 2.5D.
Replies:>>194883
save file
image:143142291900.png(540kB , 1024x1024 , trowza-yooka_laylee.png)
>trowza snake
ha
save file
image:143143533000.jpg(33kB , 431x720 , RattlyRattlesnake65.jpg)
>>194879
I'm guessing he's a jumper.
No.194884
Anonymous
Replies:>>194885
I predict the next developer who does the Kickstarter thing will be Sakaguchi.
No.194885
Anonymous
>>194884
Pretty sure he already did, with Project Phoenix and all.
No.194886
TeethandHunger
Replies:>>194887
http://gematsu.com/2015/05/project-x-zone-2-adds-phoenix-wright-bare-knuckle-summon-night-3-god-eater-2-characters
No.194887
Anonymous
>>194886
I read that wrong and thought Phoenix Wright was gonna punch someone.
No.194890
The Sneaky Tiki
Bloodstained just got more money than Yooka-Laylee with half as many backers.
No.194891
Anonymous
>>194890
There's multiple factors contributing to that, most of which obviously being the physical release and people really being in the mood to stick it to Konami right now. The kickstarter couldn't have come at a more perfect time.
No.194893
Anonymous
Replies:>>194898
No.194894
Anonymous
>>194890
The second tier of backers is almost twice as high (28 vs 15 or so dollars). Also probably the fact that while their quality is spotty, Inti Creates has proven capable of producing perfectly playable and functional games, whereas the Yooka Laylee guys are mostly riding on brand goodwill.
No.194898
The Sneaky Tiki
>>194893
It's got some interesting implications, backer costs, desperation for a dead genre return to form, hatred for companies that killed said genre (Konami probably having the most toxic company PR in the entire industry right now), how much of kickstarter funding is spite versus love, developer trust, etc.
No.194900
Anonymous
Dragon Quest 8 is coming to the 3DS.
Too bad Square is set on the idea that the west hates it for some reason.
No.194902
Anonymous
After I've seen how infectious and annoying the FNAF fandom can be, I've come to understand exactly why people hated bronies 2 years ago.
No.194908
The Sneaky Tiki
Replies:>>194911
>We learned you guys, promise!
//youtube.com/watch?v=UgYf42d0zMgyoutube thumb
ugh.

>Here is our new game, look as we proved we missed absolutely EVERY SINGLE GODDAMN CRITICISM
//youtube.com/watch?v=hKR42Ci000kyoutube thumb
UGH.
No.194909
The Sneaky Tiki
WILL YOU JOIN THE GLORIOUS WHIP MASTER RACE? OR ARE YOU A SKILL-LESS SIMPLETON OF THE SWORD?

No.194911
Anonymous
Replies:>>194912
>>194908
I... don't hate it.
What's your thoughts on it?
No.194912
The Sneaky Tiki
>>194911
Gameplay is much more solid than Unity and though obviously edited it's still impressive at this stage, the story is rehash but controlling cities is always fun.

That said GODDAMN IT FUCK OFF WITH EUROPE, EUROPE HAS BEEN THE CRITICISM FOR LONGER THAN I'VE ACTUALLY BEEN PLAYING THESE.

Black Flag was the best recent one by a long shot just because it was so refreshing a setting, 3 which I had high hopes for was actually just "rural European setting now with woods" and the woods were the best part by a country mile.

Like, I know they do it so they can constantly recycle assets for cheap so they can keep up the yearly mandate but NO ONE LIKES THAT.

So this coming out with a "we learned our lesson and boy we won't be doing that again!" video where the FIRST SECOND of footage shows they didn't even flinch at shoving their oldest criticism straight back to the forefront? it's not something that wows me like the old lies.

Furthermore there is no way with enough game built for a game play trailer that they didn't have a lot of this picked and being programmed before Unity was even out so the idea this was built from the ground up with the criticisms in mind is facetious PR damage control.
save file
image:143151779500.png(27kB , 591x749 , koji.png)
These are so much fun.
No.194914
Anonymous
>>194912

People have long criticized Nintendo of being a rehash machine, but Ubisoft and Activision do so little to change the formula and game mechanics in their core series that "Save The Princess Again" Mario looks like a fountain of innovation, because at least these games actually change and redesign assets and gameplay.
No.194915
Anonymous
Replies:>>194918
>>194912
>GODDAMN IT FUCK OFF WITH EUROPE, EUROPE HAS BEEN THE CRITICISM FOR LONGER THAN I'VE ACTUALLY BEEN PLAYING THESE.
No it hasn't been. I mean yes, people want China, but people also want Russia. A key feature of these things is mega structures and those are only really in Europe, Asia, and North Africa when you go with historical settings.

A larger concern here would be "here is another grizzled white man in his late 20s/Early30s"
No.194916
Anonymous
Replies:>>194918
Like, this series didn't even start in Europe, how could that be the oldest issue?
No.194918
The Sneaky Tiki
>>194915
>>194916
I was just using it's indicative nature, it's what bothers me most because it was clearly what was choosen before they started to claim they were actually listening to feedback.
Replies:>>194937
save file
image:143161171800.jpg(157kB , 680x905 , 0d2707a0093ebe03b73d0f1b8ee82e3a_original.jpg)
Ooh, I kinda wish they'd go with Hammer, but after all the pomp and circumstance it has to be Sword or Whip.
No.194937
Anonymous
>>194936
If it's really gonna be like all the other "Igavanias" then there's gonna be a whole lotta weapons to choose from.
Replies:>>194940
save file
image:143161775200.png(186kB , 621x875 , free to start.png)
Try to act surprised.

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/28121/article/konami-says-mobile-now-main-platform-planning-how-to-bring-metal-gear-other-ips-to-it/
No.194939
Anonymous
Replies:>>194946
>>194937
They have said there'll be tons.
No.194940
Anonymous
Replies:>>194941
>>194938
Sooo...abandon ship?
No.194941
Anonymous
>>194940
What ship?
No.194942
Anonymous
Replies:>>194944
You know how some games are fucking terrible and only frustrate you, but you can't stop playing?
No.194943
Anonymous
Replies:>>194945
//youtube.com/watch?v=0nwPPYkd8gsyoutube thumb
http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/12/8593793/why-didnt-konami-want-you-to-watch-this-video-about-hideo-kojima

Konami is even stupider than anyone could've imagined. Clearly they haven't been paying any attention to all the Streisand Effect that's been happening recently.
No.194944
Anonymous
>>194942
You hate the game, but you can't bring yourself to walk away because then the terrible game "wins." It's a matter of principle.
No.194945
Anonymous
>>194943
//youtube.com/watch?v=dj7V3GjRb5Yyoutube thumb
//youtube.com/watch?v=4u2gPCtlAawyoutube thumb

This is the most beautiful trainwreck since the Xbone.
No.194946
The Sneaky Tiki
>>194937
>>194939
There is a competition to see what the "defining" weapon of the series will be, in other words to find out what weapon she'll use on all the box art.

Don't be a sword chode though, vote whip! (I wish I could vote Hammer.)
No.194947
Anonymous
Replies:>>194948
Yeah and it's probably going to be the swordwhip.

If not it should be sword though.
No.194948
The Sneaky Tiki
>>194947
Fucking sword scum, I bet you hate skub too.
No.194949
Anonymous
Replies:>>194952
http://www.sierra.com/kingsquest

New Kings Quest coming out. Well, remake maybe of the first one.
With Christopher Loyd, Zelda Williams and Wallace "Iocane powder is NOT in this glass" Shawn as part of the cast.
No.194952
Anonymous
Replies:>>194953
>>194949
Shame Zelda was wasted on a character as terrible as Kuvira was in Korra. At least Kuvira was hot, in a looks-ike-a-handsome-dude kind of way.
No.194953
Anonymous
>>194952
I wouldn't say she was terrible. Not in a meta sense, at least. Underdeveloped, sure, but interesting and compelling. She needed flashback episode or something.
No.194954
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
>>194953

She probably would've had one if Nick hadn't dicked production around and cost them a full episode.
No.194955
Nøpe
I just found out me and Pac-Man have the same birthday.
That's kinda neat.
No.194956
Anonymous
Replies:>>194957
>>194953
She fell too quickly into fascist territory to take seriously, as well as the whole knowingly lying to Bolin thing. Even Unalaq was less insincere. The show had a severe problem with straw villainy aside from Book 3, and while an extra episode might've made Kuvira a lot less shallow, it probably wouldn't have fixed that first problem.
No.194957
Anonymous
>>194956
Its true. Book 4 as a whole feels rushed in a way. We already shown she has a political opposition to what she does, Korra doesn't really encounter her non-antagonistically, ... All that stuff.
I thought that set up at the end of Book 3 was gonna result in a more nuanced, better developed arc for her as a villain, but it was really strained.

I think you could all chalk it up to the poor production schedules Viacom set up for the creatives. From telling them it was only a miniseries onwards.
save file
image:143167678400.jpg(286kB , 1920x1080 , 2012-03-22_00002.jpg)
Boy, videogames sure are something, huh?
No.194959
Anonymous
>>194958
Well there is a connection. Need more females with nice abs.
No.194960
Anonymous
>>194958
Those are some great abs.

Emma and Emmy are best girls though.
No.194961
Rodyle !Cljnc/gZnM
Replies:>>194962
I put a DS Emulator on my phone and HOLY SHIT GHOST TRICK
No.194962
Anonymous
Replies:>>194963
>>194961
Have fun discovering one of the most extensive game libraries of all times. Man, the DS was fucking great. Too bad mine broke. I want to replay so many of the games so badly and it's just not the same on an emulator.
No.194963
Rodyle !Cljnc/gZnM
>>194962
Oh I had a DS, I just could rarely afford to buy things for it. Best thing I ever did with it was rent TWEWY.
No.194966
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Kick-fucking-ass, MAME’s going 100% open source: http://gamasutra.com/view/news/243598/MAME_is_going_open_source_to_be_a_learning_tool_for_developers.php

Now game preservationists (and existing game companies) can legally use MAME without running afoul of the “commercial use” restriction on MAME’s old BSID license.
No.194967
Anonymous
>>194966
That's amazing news.
Replies:>>194976
save file
image:143183459400.jpg(273kB , 900x600 , 4.jpg)
HOLY SCREAMING FUCK CHICA IS EVEN WORSE NOW.
No.194977
Anonymous
Replies:>>194978
>>194966
>is going
I'll believe it when it already happened.

>>194966
>endoskeleton
>exoskeleton
>mid-skeleton?
No.194978
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>194980
>>194977

>I'll believe it when it already happened.

Maybe you’ll believe the actual source of the announcement, then — https://twitter.com/mamedev_org/status/598861074889351168 — because if the official mamedev.org Twitter account says MAME is going open source, I take that to mean the MAME development team announced MAME is going open source. (The quotes from an actual MAME engineer in that Gamasutra article help bolster that position.) But if you have any evidence the announcement is a complete load of bullshit, I know I’d love to see it.
No.194980
Anonymous
>>194978
I saw that, and I'm even fairly confident they are actually trying, but I just won't personally have a reason to feel invested in this until it goes from "is going open source" to "has gone open source, go read the new license here". They're trying to make sure any objections are heard and dealt with, but they do have hundreds of contributors who could potentially object, so there's still a chance of things getting too messy for them to handle.

Plus, I'm interested in developing games for arcade machine hardware, not emulating existing ones, so MAME as it is, which would legally restrict all use of anything developed on it as a prototyping platform, means exactly nothing to me.
No.194983
Anonymous
Replies:>>194984
>>194981
>>194982
Is Edward Smith a new writer on their team?
No.194984
Jumpman
Replies:>>194990
>>194981
>>194983
>Two articles written by two different people
>Surprised their opinion isn't the same
No.194985
Anonymous
>>194981
>>194982
Oh no, shitty clickbait sites being shitty clickbait sites. Truly the end of things. Let's harass some more people and send death threats. That'll make everything turn out for the better.
No.194986
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
>>194981
>>194982

QUICK, CALL THE GATERS, THEY’LL “FIX” THIS
No.194990
Nøpe
Replies:>>194991
>>194984
It's more that, no matter what you do, there will always be someone to bitch about it. For one reason or another.
No.194991
Jumpman
>>194990
Which is why you just do what right (like give equal representation of women and not make up bullshit excuses), than give a shit about about anyone that bitches about it.
No.194993
Anonymous
Replies:>>194994
>>194991
By that same stroke though game developers can use that same dumbass excuse to justify not being more inclusive.
No.194994
Anonymous
Replies:>>194995
>>194993
Well it all comes down to "Do you really want to cater to those clamouring for anti-inclusiveness?"
No.194995
Anonymous
>>194994
The usual counterexample is "they don't sell well and we need to feed our chilluns", although the former is starting to be subverted at the cinema at least, if stuff like Mad Max, Pacific Rim, and Furious 7 are any indication.
No.194996
Nøpe
Replies:>>194997
>>194991
>just do what's right
Most people want to. But we all have priorities with varying levels of importance. That wont change. And it's the reason why, no matter what you do, there will always be someone to bitch about it.
The problem is the solution is the problem. I guess.
No.194997
Anonymous
Replies:>>195037
>>194996
That cynicism is exactly the kind of thinking that keeps things from actually changing. Things are getting better though as executives are usually ten to twenty years behind the times and are only finally starting to realize that inclusiveness is a actually a good thing from a market perspective. The people who still complain mostly want attention like Polygon or are unreasonably impatient, like the various LGBT advocacy groups who literally were pissed at Obama because nationwide gay marriage wasn't legalized immediately after he was sworn in. Just because a vocal minority is acting ungrateful and getting cherrypicked for it doesn't mean the fight's not worth having.
No.194998
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Regardless of what you make, someone will dislike it. Nothing sits above reproach or criticism. We can only do what we think best serves our creations within the systems that restrict us, then leave our work to the fates.
No.194999
Anonymous
Replies:>>195000
>>194991
>just do what's right
This is so goddamn vague and open to interpretation, it basically means nothing. It should be "just do what you want", but since AAA titles are entirely designed by focus testing and committee it's only natural that you won't ever see that happening outside of the indie space and that innovation and progressive thinking is going to happen very, very gradually if at all.
No.195000
Anonymous
Replies:>>195001
>>194999
>it basically means nothing.
It means nothing if you have no respect, conviction or values. Which doesn't surprise me since the internet culture's shamed that sort of outlook since the dawn of its little social circles back in the early thousands so I'm not surprised the concept of "right" or "empathy" is nonexistant to people involved in this discussion.

The whole industrial Part Of The Machine aspect is one part of it. But creators do have the power to defend their artwork from the machine. And when it happens, in the case of Bioshock Infinite or Last of Us to name an example, its truly exceptional.
And hell, something we need to strive for.
No.195001
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
>>195000

>Creators do have the power to defend their artwork from the machine. And when it happens […] it's truly exceptional. And hell, something we need to strive for.

“When we write a joke, we never ask, ‘Who’s gonna get this?’ We always say, ‘The right people will get this’.” — Joel Hodgson, creator of Mystery Science Theater 3000
No.195016
Anonymous
Replies:>>195017
So you're saying we should protect games like Dragon's Crown and Senran Kagura from further homogenization of the industry? I'm down with that.
But no seriously I also want to see more games for women that aren't blatantly patronizing. Games like Dragon Age are doing a good job and fuck all of the retards viciously attacking them, because they don't want games that don't appeal to them to be made. But those games are the exception when they shouldn't be. Games are all-encompassing in the lifes of anyone under the age of 30 now, regardless of gender, yet somehow the shitty little boys club mentality remains.
And here's the thing, I can see why. Because the games that are getting attacked for not being inclusive are not the ones that should get attacked for it. They are niche games for a niche audience. Senran Kagura was never meant to sell to a broad market. It was meant to sell to a small audience of, admittedly, somewhat immature men who like anime girls' boobs and butts and I'm one of those men. And now these men are being painted with a broad brush, insulted and shamed for liking what they can't help but like, because their silly little niche games that were never meant to be taken seriously in the first place are what's supposedly wrong with society as a whole.
Sorry, kinda went on a tangent there. I know you can't keep politics out of gaming, because politics are in everything, but just fuck fighting all these ideological proxy wars over small games like Senran Kagura and Gone Home, just because their small audience is an easy target.
No.195017
Anonymous
Replies:>>195018
>>195016
I honestly think we have to start seeing videogames the way we see movies. At least in a broad sense. There's sci-fi, there's fantasy, there's horror... and there's all these subgenres and niches within genre film.
Like, of course Dragon's Crown and Senran Kagura have genuine artistic merit. The same way La Bimba Di Satana has it - but I can't imagine what cinema would be if we only ever stuck on that level for the entirety of the medium.

I don't mean to make a statement here. Because you're right, there's way too much politics involved. There's politics in art. Even the Smiley Face logo isn't safe from that.
Its all about perception. Within the community and outside it. Games aren't a subsection inside an enthusiastic electronics magazine where the conversation is regarding features and their functionality.

Games are fuckin' art.
And all that implies.
No.195018
Anonymous
>>195017
Games are not art. The average "hardcore gamer" believes that taking videogames seriously beyond their face value will inevitably lead to Socialist Realism. A medium targeted at children and adults who willfully chose mental inferiority cannot produce art, except maybe by accident.
No.195019
Anonymous
>>195018

It's like I'm really reading literature criticism from the 1950s.
No.195020
Anonymous
Replies:>>195022
>>195018
I've seen the same people make 20-minute long youtube rants about how Roger Ebert's death was good for games as art use this sort of thinking. That argument was literally invented so games could avoid social and artistic critique, man. Why do you buy into it.
No.195022
Anonymous
>>195020
>games could avoid social and artistic critique

But that's what "hardcore gamers" want, since critique can include opinions they strongly disagree with and they believe that such opinions open the floodgates for busybody moral guardians who want to destroy videogames.
No.195023
Anonymous
>>195022
Cool strawman, that'll totally make you easier to take seriously.
No.195024
Anonymous
Replies:>>195026
>>195022
Overgeneralizations don't do anyone any good.
No.195026
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>195031
>>195018

>Games are not art.

Tell that to everyone who was ever moved to feel emotions by Aerith’s death or Clementine’s story in The Walking Dead or even the opening cinematic of Shadow of the Colossus. (I was someone who damn near dropped to his knees in awe of the beauty of that last one.) Games are art, just of a different kind.

>The average "hardcore gamer" believes that taking videogames seriously beyond their face value will inevitably lead to Socialist Realism.

Read: “The average 'hardcore gamer' doesn’t want people criticizing games beyond the surface because it might mean acknowledging some uncomfortable truths about the industry, the games it creates, and the gamers themselves.”

Seriously, if someone thinks people shouldn’t take videogames “seriously”, that someone doesn’t want people to do it because that someone fears what people might say about their favorite series—and the people who play games from that series.

>A medium targeted at children and adults who willfully chose mental inferiority cannot produce art, except maybe by accident.

This is a gross generalization of the medium of videogames, and it’s a horrible insult aimed at adults who play videogames, to boot. Would you at least try not referring to adults who play videogames as “mentally inferior” in the future?

>>195024

No, they don’t. But when someone says the “average hardcore gamer” doesn’t want people taking videogames seriously, such a statement can be construed to mean “hardcore gamers don’t want people critiquing games for their sociopolitical and artistic merits”. Don’t like it? Help change the image of hardcore gamers instead of complaining about how people can overgeneralize them like that.
No.195027
Anonymous
The identity of the "hardcore gamer" is a weird one anyway since it has been invented by marketing and then took on a life of its own.
No.195028
Anonymous
Seeing as "hardcore gamer" in a lot of places just refers to people who play console and PC games as opposed to mobile ones and stuff like Bejeweled, it's a nebulous term to begin with.
No.195029
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>195031
Back in “my day” (read: back in my childhood/early teens), I took “hardcore gamer” to mean someone who was deeeeeeeeep into gaming—like, has subscriptions to GamePro, EGM, and GameFan/owns an NES, SNES, Genesis, and Game Boy/dreams of designing his own games deep. The “hardcore gamer” of “my day” devoted hours, days, weeks, months, YEARS of their lives to the sole purpose of gaming. Shit, I once spent hours playing one of the NES Mega Man games with my brother and two of our neighbors—we stayed up past midnight and almost beat that shit, were it not for the final boss—and that’s the kind of thing that defined the “hardcore gamer” image for me back then.

Now you have speedrunners and hackers and people who devote their time to learning the ins and outs of a game in ways I could’ve never dreamed of back in “my day”. As a kid, I always imagined playing in a fighting game tourney at my local arcade; seeing the FGC’s level of competitiveness and the depths of their fighting game knowledge as an adult makes me realize how narrow my field of vision was back then—and helps me see how things have changed so much since “my day”.
No.195030
Anonymous
I think what people are referring to here are specifically the folks who self-identify as "hardcore" gamers rather than what the media often refers to as such, since by those latter standards everyone who posts on this board qualifies as one and if "hardcore gamers" are all really such equally terrible people then none of us would even be having this discussion in the first place.
No.195031
Anonymous
Replies:>>195033
>>195026
>Read: “The average 'hardcore gamer' doesn’t want people criticizing games beyond the surface because it might mean acknowledging some uncomfortable truths about the industry, the games it creates, and the gamers themselves.”

Exactly.

>Would you at least try not referring to adults who play videogames as “mentally inferior” in the future?

Do you think it's coincidence that people obsessed with videogames tend to be insufferable retards?

>>195029
Sounds like something I could've believed before the internet showed me that nerds are at least as likely as anyone else to be complete garbage.

Non-terrible videogame enthusiasts are the exception, not the norm. (Non-terrible nerds obsess over useful things, not disposable entertainment.)
No.195033
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>195048
>>195031

>Do you think it's coincidence that people obsessed with videogames tend to be insufferable retards?

There are two things you need to know. One: obsessions with anything (including videogames) and mental retardation are not one and the same. Two: continually insulting a large swath of humanity because you think it makes a point neither helps you make that point nor helps me sympathize with whatever point you might want to make.
No.195037
Nøpe
>>194997
What makes you think I'm a cynic about it?
I honestly think its a good thing that people have various values and tastes. It's just difficult to understand the perspectives at others and sometimes it can be really frustrating. And I'm not sure if there's really any objective way to approach it much of the time. But I hardly think it's hopeless.
No.195038
Anonymous
Replies:>>195044
>>195018
Whether games are as worthy of being called "art" as other mediums or not, it makes sense to denote thematic genres of them as well as mechanics-based genres. An "average gamer" wanting to avoid thinking ctirically is all the more reason to, if anything, since it lets one separate out genres of game that cater to different audiences, diminishing influence from "the average".
No.195039
Anonymous
It's funny how gamers are always so quick to defend games as art, when gamers have demonstrated very clearly that they don't want games to be art. For proof, look no further than the reaction to Mass Effect 3's ending. Bioware went for a daring, artistic decision in what to do and say with that ending, and gamers revolted based purely on the fact that it didn't fellate them the way games usually do. And then through market forces, the audience forced the "artists" to revise their work in a way that was more pleasing for them as entertainment.

Games could be art. But not if they want "gamers" to play them. It's yet another reason why I find the "gamer" community disgusting and refuse to think of myself as a gamer, despite enjoying video games.
No.195044
Anonymous
Replies:>>195046
>>195038
>An "average gamer" wanting to avoid thinking ctirically is all the more reason to
God, even your average 'turn off your brain' popcorn flick has its creation based around a specific sociocultural context.

Pacific Rim, the ultimate Turn Off Your Brain movie was made with so much in mind behind it.
At this point it just seems like people don't want anyone making them feel uncomfortable about their vidyas.
No.195046
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>195048
>>195044

>it just seems like people don't want anyone making them feel uncomfortable about their vidyas

Doubly so if it's some persnickety “outsider” who dares to “invade” their Special Little World and tell the people within that their culture sucks and its creative works promote some troublesome ideas.
No.195048
Anonymous
>>195033
It's not the videogame obsession that makes them retarded, it's that videogame obsession and retardation by choice go hand in hand more often than not.

>>195039
>anything EA
>"daring, artistic"

You're definitely a "gamer" despite you believing otherwise.

>>195046
Anyone got that "MGS5 is problematic. MGS 1-4? I don't know anything about those games" screenshot?
No.195050
Anonymous
Replies:>>195051
>>195039
Mass Effect 3's ending being fairly shitty has little to do with whether games are art or not. People hated the end of a story, that's happened with every other medium just as often.
No.195051
Anonymous
>>195050
Well tell that to the people who argue games aren't art for the sake of "Who cares if its X Issue, dont take it so seriously its just a game"
No.195052
F-ing
>>195051
Yeah, I've seen this a lot recently, too. I was watching this game design stream on twitch and the topic just came up to conclusion of "oh well okay, games are art, you know how it is." And this one guy just started vehemently defending the point of "Wait what are you talking about games aren't art."

Like, last I checked the medium and the community was doing everything it could for games to be considered art for the mainstream - now this a little after MGS4 came out I guess. 2009, 2010... And like they mentioned, the whole 'gamer circle' saw Roger Ebert's comment about game design not being art as this huge talking point and got a lot of people against him.
So what the hell happened? Was it really the whole 'criticism' thing that got them to up and flip around the argument?
No.195054
Anonymous
Replies:>>195055
>>195051
They're being assholes who refuse to see games as art because they don't want to look at them critically, there's not much reasoning with that. But no matter what they say, art is art, and video games qualify. Whether games really are art or not isn't the matter there, it's just an excuse to shut up someone they find annoying. If the way to shut people up was to say that video games are art, they'd say that instead.
No.195055
Mister Twister
>>195054
Ahem... it's much more simple. The majority of people associate art with tings that are serious. Games are FUN. Whenever you label something as art, it stops sounding fun.

It's about the associations, and little else.
No.195056
F-ing
Replies:>>195057
>>195055
From what I've gathered actually, one of the things it seems to be tied to is being able to ask for "objective reviews" as opposed to ones formed from "opinion."
You know the kind.

>"Game has feature. Feature is good but laggy. There is also another feature, which is polished and runs smoothly. The game has graphics that are good, even though there are framerate issues. The story is engaging and entertaining and the characters have good voice acting even though the actress can be a bit stale. Overall this game is fun. I give it an 8.8 out of 10."
No.195057
F-ing
>>195056
lookin at you, projared.
//youtube.com/watch?v=uo6s6oYraB4youtube thumb
and i actually think he's an ok guy.
No.195061
Anonymous
Replies:>>195065
>>195055
No, it's assholes. Art can be fun, nobody says that books or comics or movies aren't art even with Harry Potter, pulp serials and Die Hard existing. When the question comes up of whether games are art, the only time I've seen games ever side against games being art is because then games would have to stand up to a level of scrutiny.
No.195063
Anonymous
Replies:>>195065
It's not about the fact that games are fun. It's about the fact that the community does not support artistry. The gaming community at large is only interested in self-indulgence and power fantasy. The second you try to challenge something, the community rebels. It is not a community of art lovers or even art appreciators. It is a community of man-children who want people to take them seriously and try to piggyback on the art community because they think that's how they get respect.

And yet look how fucking pissed gamers get the second anything gets "political." Or any time a video game doesn't just fucking give you everything you want. Or look how resentful the community gets at the idea of actually paying the people who create these games--people who in theory they should respect as "artists"--for their work. How much they bitch and moan the second DLC is announced, or that they might have to pay extra for extra features, or any other little thing that doesn't baby them.

There is no room for at in a community like that. There is only room for schlocky, lowest-common-denominator bullshit. Just paint that lowest common denominator bullshit with enough stuff that lets them pretend like they're engaging their minds rather than intellectually masturbating and the gaming community will herald any piece of shit as the most artistic thing ever created. Because they don't actually know anything about art nor do they give a shit about art--they just want to pretend they're sophisticated.

We have built a community that exalts in peter panism and rejects anything that challenges the status quo or makes them think about the world. Art games can exist, but they'll never do well in a community like this until we destroy the current incarnation of the gaming community and rebuild an actual civilization in its ashes.
No.195065
Anonymous
>>195063
>How much they bitch and moan the second DLC is announced

That frequently happens for good reasons. The existence of the ">paying for games" meme doesn't make shitty business practices unexistant.
What you ought to blame "gamers" for is allowing those companies to continue existing despite their open disrespect for their customers. You seem to buy into the idiotic "videogame companies do nothing wrong, gamers are just entitled" narrative (which is spread by the industry and its "journalist" bootlickers).

>>195061
Videogames aren't art because videogames are disposable, without cultural significance. They're niche entertainment for a niche mostly occupied by children and undesirables. If all "gamers" spontaneously dropped dead tomorrow, would anyone beyond their social circles care at all? Videogame "culture" only matters to "gamers".
No.195067
Anonymous
Replies:>>195072
I didn't exactly expect Valiant Hearts to be a light-hearted romp or anything, but fuck, man.
No.195068
The Sneaky Tiki
Replies:>>195076
Like the Zaibatsu aren't wrong about DC movies being shit but they are so back asswards it's embarrassing.

Fucksake they think the CW universe, the one redeeming DC thing, is part of the Man of Steel universe, THEY ARE LITERALLY WHY THE WB THINKS WE'RE ALL RETARDED.
No.195071
The Sneaky Tiki
Sword or Whip has finished!

let us pray for the defeat of the filthy steel swinger and the victory of the leather lashers!
No.195072
Jumpman
>>195067
I got it via PS+ and I haven't played it yet for that exact reason. Not in the mood to be depressed right now and I've become more sensitive lately towards bad things happening to dogs. So, remembering that trailer shot of the dog companion sitting at all those soldiers' graves just kills me already.
No.195076
Anonymous
Replies:>>195080
>>195068
>Fucksake they think the CW universe, the one redeeming DC thing
It was specifically said that they didn't think they were related.

Also the whip was good in one game, 4, and never good again.
No.195077
Anonymous
Replies:>>195091
>>195065
>They're niche entertainment for a niche mostly occupied by children and undesirables
Holy shit this is Poe's Law, isn't it.
No.195080
The Sneaky Tiki
Replies:>>195084
>>195076
No, they specified they were confused about it.

And the whip is the bar none greatest 2D weapon ever you steel penis lover.
No.195081
Anonymous
>>195065
It's not that I think video game companies do nothing wrong. It's that I think the gaming community would whine about it even if they didn't, because they're a bunch of whiny, spoiled babies.
No.195083
Anonymous
Replies:>>195085
>>195081
I can't tell if you're some sort of reverse troll designed to make anti-GGers look bad, or if your head is really this far up your own ass.
No.195084
Anonymous
>>195080
No, the whip has always been either janky as shit in the old games or a subpar weapon in the Iga ones. The only time it worked was in 4, where you had control over it.
No.195085
Anonymous
>>195083
I don't know how you've tied this to GG. I mean yeah, GG's a symptom of the problem too, but it's a relatively uninteresting and unsurprising part of it. The gaming community celebrates people who treat other people abusively and deeply fears any sort of change other than increased poly counts. Like you can take that to political issues (because ultimately every issue is political in the end), but it doesn't even have to go that far. You can just look at the reactions to video games that try to do anything that hasn't been done 1,000 times before. Gamers bitch about the lack of new IPs but refuse to buy anything that isn't the seventh sequel to some game series that was tired a decade ago.

Not that they really like buying old IPs, either, because again gamers hate seeing their money go to the people they claim to think of as artists. They use the internet nerd's classic "Art Appreciation" doublespeak where they claim to believe in art, but also attack any artist who tries to make a living at their art. "True art should be done for free" is something that only people who have nothing but contempt for artists and their art believe.
No.195091
Anonymous
Replies:>>195092
>>195077
You haven't been around much, have you? Regular forums or imageboards, "gaming communities" are filled with utter garbage that chose to be utter garbage by refusing to grow up.

>>195081
And therefore you defend the scumbags, because scumbags exploiting retards is a good thing worth defending. Well done.
No.195092
Anonymous
>>195091
>And therefore you defend the scumbags, because scumbags exploiting retards is a good thing worth defending. Well done.
No, I defend artists who need to make money to survive against audiences who have no interest in anything but exploiting their work for less than it costs to make because they don't value the work that's being done to entertain them. You see these people as "scumbags" because you're thinking only of how this pricing affects you, and not *why* it exists in the first place. It exists because making video games is incredibly expensive and the amount of money that the people making the games make off of them is minimal. Programmers, designers, musicians, scenario writers, none of them get paid anything close to a fair amount of money for the amount of work they do.

Yes, much of this is because publishers are bullshit. But that is irrelevant to the discussion at hand. You are *using* the fact that publishers screw over artists to justify your own screwing over of artists. "Well, the publishers take most of the money, so it's fine if I steal this game or try to force the publishers to make less money (and therefore pay artists less)." If you actually gave a shit about artists, you would not be just bitching about DLC. You would be protesting the pay rates and work schedules of the creators of video games. But you're not doing that. You only give a shit about these things because of how they affect you--and not because it is UNFAIR to you (which it's demonstrably not), but because you just don't like being expected to pay for entertainment.
No.195094
Anonymous
>>195092
>EA, Ubisoft, and their ilk
>artists

Those companies are scumbags because they demand more for less, push anti-features based on unverifiable assumptions and show nothing but contempt for their consumers. They call used games theft, they call people who oppose intrusive DRM thieves and luddites, they call people who dislike their products idiots and they wield copyright as a club to silence criticism.
Artists? AAA companies don't create "art". They create mass-market garbage, without any risk or creativity. If they can't mathematically prove it will sell 20 million copies, it's not worth producing. They declare series and entire genres "dead" based on methods that seem to have nothing to do with what anyone who actually plays videogames thinks. Then ex-devs and indies pick up what the big guys threw away and make profit and the AAA industry wonders what happened (and promptly cries piracy some more, because the AAA industry never admits mistakes).
Those companies hate the medium's past. They see old games not as something to be preserved, but something to be thrown away so they can sell the remake/reboot/whatever. They sit on dead IPs that they won't do anything with ever (because that's too risky), but will of course enforce their rights to them. They oppose the preservation of games they're no longer selling/supporting because of vague accusations of piracy (look it up).

Do your fucking research. Stop defending shit companies just because "gamers" are stupid enough to allow them to survive. You're not rebuking "gamers", you're making excuses for an anti-consumer industry. Shit on "gamers" all you want (there are plenty of legit reasons), but don't enable scumbags.

Also, to any idiots who honestly believe that pirating AAA games is "sticking it to the man": You're only playing into their hands.
No.195095
Anonymous
Replies:>>195096
>>195094
>Talking about developers
>Lists publishers
>Accuses other people of not doing the research

Lol.
No.195096
Anonymous
Replies:>>195099
>>195095
I was always talking about publishers. >>195092 somehow twisted it into me calling developers scumbags when I was referring to publishers in previous posts, which is obvious to anyone familiar with the subject.
No.195097
Anonymous
>>195094
>Artists? AAA companies don't create "art". They create mass-market garbage, without any risk or creativity.

Your contention is that they produce bad art, shallow, with only commercial interests in mind. That may be so. But bad art is, nonetheless, art.

This whole argument is so tired. It is old, tired, settled, and buried. It was settled long before video games were even entered into the equation. Rehashing it so that you can feel superior to all the little sheeple is not interesting to anyone but you.
No.195099
Anonymous
Replies:>>195100
>>195096
But developers' money comes from the same place the publishers' money comes from. So yes, when you say that the fact that EA publishes something means that it shouldn't make money, you are arguing that the developers who made the games EA is publishing don't deserve money. Which is like saying that, because DC Comics is a soulless endeavor, that no one should buy Neil Gaiman's run on Sandman. Because while, yes, you're screwing over Neil Gaiman, Dave McKean, Sam Keith, and the other artists who worked on the Sandman, you're also screwing over DC, and that makes it all okay. Also, it's not like the Sandman can really be art anyway since it was put out by DC, a mainstream comics publisher that almost exclusively deals in trashy power fantasy comics.

There is nothing unfair or anti-consumer about paid DLC. It is additional work being put onto a game and being sold to you that you don't have to have to play the game. There are artists who have to make that content, and when you whine that you have to pay for it, you're spitting in their faces and saying that they should've done that extra work for free. You can pose that as being against Big Business, but what you're really saying is that the programmers and the modellers and the texture artists and the musicians who are making that extra content for you should be paid less for their work.
No.195100
Anonymous
>>195099
If the developers want my money, they can work for someone who doesn't call me a thief for wanting to play singleplayer games without a persistent internet connection. It worked for plenty of developers. If the devs suffer because the execs decided to make their product behave like malware or cut out half the features the previous game had, that sucks, but it still doesn't make the corporation worth supporting or exempt from criticism. Developers aren't slaves. You're still defending scumbags. In fact, you're using the same excuses some publishers pull when criticized. The publishers - who see most of the money - don't deserve money or loyalty. "Gamers" still buying their games anyway is why AAA gaming is such a homogenized wasteland.

Before you pull another strawman, let me repeat: Also, to any idiots who honestly believe that pirating AAA games is "sticking it to the man": You're only playing into their hands.

>DLC

The problem isn't the concept, it's the execution. It provides an incentive to cut features out of the game and sell them seperately. It's not necessarily "additional work". Good DLC exists; it's the kind that works like expansion packs of old, or non-overpriced cosmetic stuff. That's not what AAA companies want though, they want to squeeze as much money out of as little effort as possible and it frequently shows. That's why there's good reason to be skeptical whenever DLC is announced.

Don't try to counter this with "but they said it was extra work". This industry isn't trustworthy and has proven that time and again.
No.195107
Nøpe
Replies:>>195116
http://www.eastarwars.com/
HA
Replies:>>195120
>>195107
RIP
Luckily for me, I had 0 expectations. EA can't ruse me again into a pre-order.
No.195120
Anonymous
>>195116
The game has not been cancelled. I actually was in the thread at /v/ when some anon mentioned that he had bougth that domain and planned to troll EA with it.
>>195120
Heh, I see. Not bad.
No.195161
Anonymous
>>195120
So how much of what that chart says is actually true? Regarding number of modes, maps, etc.

And has there been any word on split-screen local multiplayer?
No.195167
Minifig
Is Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut any good? I've already got Shadowrun Returns but I haven't played it (Steam libraries, maaan) and it's a little over £3 in the sales for the next few days.
No.195170
Anonymous
Want a Powerstone successor?:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1518707381/combat-core-high-powered-4-player-arena-fighter/video_share

And unlike other shittier crowd funded vidya, there is a playable alpha build you can try.