/tnt/ - Tournaments & Events

This board is for hosting tournaments and other organized competitions, be it either events, contests, or anything where a winner must be determined through votes or otherwise. Just for this board, image duplicates are enabled and the bump limits are set extra high. Roleplaying is encouraged, unless event hosts ask otherwise.

Please consider donating! Thanks!

Thread stats: 7 posts, 2 files (2 image(s))

Toggle poster info Replying to /tnt/13472 Close window
Options
Replies:>>13481
save file
image:166765130340.png(497kB , 593x671 , 1644425119278.png)
Before I continue, it should be noted that I am not one of those justicefags or rulefags who can't stop complaining about the most minor of stuff. i just an honest guy with an opinion to change a rule a little.

Now which rule am i talking about?
>"Fictional characters originating from vidya property only. This includes those originating from non-vidya material of a vidya series, and those originating from vidya material from a non-vidya series."

This is a very broad and really inconsistent rule. There are many characters from non-vidya properties who had a very obscure game which means they're capable of participating in a /v/ tournament which is unfair and stupid.

>What do I propose
It isn't a really hard solution really, My only solution is this: Take Canon and Continuity into consideration.
Non-vidya characters that originate from Vidya property can participate ONLY if they're canon to the main vidya property. This not only makes sense but it eliminates a lot of characters who aren't even vidya related.

And Vidya characters who originate from Non-Vidya property can participate only if their franchise has established their own continuity and canon. Witcher games for example aren't canon to the books and neither is Cyberpunk 2077 canon to the main Cyberpunk tabletop game, and both have established their own canon and continuity.

That's it really.
Replies:>>13484
save file
image:166769214382.png(569kB , 1024x681 , 1662705592195.png)
Not a bad idea, although I don't know how many non-vidya characters would make the bracket outside of Geralt and AM. Only other one I can think of is Christopher Robin because of memes.
No.13480
Anonymous
well if we're suggesting rule changes I might as well suggest the removal of the No Grandfather Clause rule since that rule appeared at the start of the 2021 tournaments without being voted for by anyone in the prior tournament, Grandfather Clause was originally not in the /v/ tournaments but no rule existed excluding it altogether so really if this rule wants to return it needs to be decided by vote like it should've been
No.13481
Anonymous
Replies:>>13486
>>13472
I guess this would make sense clarifying for something like Touhou as well.
I don't think they'll ever pass nominations due to the hot competition, but there are characters like Kasen or Kosuzu who are both from official manga, but both show up in games and they could probably pass nominations in votes, but not the character per series limit.
I also do think that if a non-vidya property is getting into King/Queen /v/, it'd probably be best to have specific vetting to make sure it's not JUST a "tie-in game" or such. Basically the game has to stand on its own aside from just being its own canon. You could otherwise make some technical argument that early movie-tie-in games can count if they're "different enough" which is retarded.
No.13484
Anonymous
>>13479
It’s more so to filter out characters that don’t belong in a vidya tournament, and especially for those who are trying to take advantage of a flawed rule.
No.13486
Anonymous
>>13481
I can see a non-vidya character getting in due to a tie-in game as long as they don't violate the rules, I can also see non-vidya characters getting in thanks to the AM rule (The Burger King, Cool Spot, Riddick)
No.13887
Anonymous
Bump