/cog/ - Traditional & Video Gaming

Please consider donating! Thanks!

Thread stats: 307 posts, 53 files (50 image(s), 3 video(s))

Toggle poster info Replying to /cog/189791 Close window
Options
Replies:>>190016
save file
image:140960305600.jpg(110kB , 500x304 , nintendo-mario-logo.jpg)
NINTENDO GENERAL THREAD!

Because I'm not digging through the ooze of the general to talk Mario &C/O.
No.189792
T4 was here
Replies:>>189794
So did everyone get their free game by now?

Because I may have some troble ahead if that 0 was an O...
*sigh*
The old T4 luck stricks again...
No.189794
Anonymous
Replies:>>189844
>>189792
Free game for what?
Replies:>>189799
save file
image:140960735400.png(100kB , 225x225 , 1409329985917.png)
>tfw no more Reyn Time forever
No.189799
Autonymoose !x4vv0ZYuAo
>>189795
I just realized that Brawl could still potentially bring about a Reyn x Groose partnership. This would be glorious.
No.189838
Jumpman
Replies:>>189842
>Nintendo will maintain its policy of region-locking hardware with the New Nintendo 3DS handheld, the company has confirmed to GameSpot.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/new.../1100-6422079/

Why anyone would listen to that NiNTENDOMiNATiON guy, I don't know.
No.189842
Autonywork !x4vv0ZYuAo
>>189838
>Nintendo will maintain its policy of not getting with the program
No.189844
T4 was here
>>189794
The Mario Kart 8 promo remember.

But it worked out for me, just had to ask customer service and they sent me the code.

And my 3DS back too.

Things are coming up T4!
(And then I stubbed my toe and slashed water all over myself when trying to do the dishes, so same old)
save file
image:140978429800.png(1.52MB , 2560x1440 , FreedomFrisbee_l.png)
How essential is speed in a Metroid game? To be able to progress through the world as quickly as possible?
No.189853
The Sneaky Tiki
>>189852
Very, many of the powers revolve around upgrading your traversal speed.
No.189854
Anonymous
Replies:>>189855
>>189853
Does this make the Prime trilogy subpar games?
No.189855
Autonywork !x4vv0ZYuAo
Replies:>>189857
>>189852
It's only essential when attempting low-time 100%.

>>189854
If judged purely on the basis of a 2D Metroid, perhaps. However, the Prime games couldn't really do speed properly because they suffer from the same problem that plagues all first-person games with platforming elements: the inability to see your feet. Some power-ups help, like Space Jump and Screw Attack, but these are only useful when you navigate the more expansive rooms (and, in game engine, everything was a room, even the large outdoor areas). Long and mostly flat corridors (for building up Speed Booster) also didn't work well the aesthetic used in Prime, and as I can't recall there being a crouch doing a "hold" on the Boost would also have been harder, not to mention the timing (again due to lack of feet.)

Instead, the Prime trilogy traded much of the speed-related element of 2D Metroid for heavier puzzle solving that made good use of the first-person HUD (the largest difference between Prime and 2D Metroid, and, IMO, the main reason putting Samus in first person didn't suck.)

The Prime games still have speed-run categories to shoot for, but I don't know how they stack against the 2D requirements.
save file
image:140978725400.jpg(1,002kB , 800x1373 , palette swaps.jpg)
>>189855
>>189853
Thanks for the input. I only ask this because this POTD sparked an argument on /vg/ with one guy ranting about how the Prime trilogy "ruined" Metroid with its deliberate slow pacing and that all other Metroid titles - Other M included - were better on the grounds that they were faster. Probably just a shitposter if they were willing to defend Other M, but it got me thinking.

Also, this Dark Samus palette swap looks sick.
No.189858
The Sneaky Tiki
>>189857
I wouldn't call him a shitposter, just someone with a stringent idea of what defines a Metroid game, there is a distinct spirit you are trying to translate into 3D with games like this.

Lets compare the Prime series and Castlevania lords of Shadows, because both games had similar goals in bringing a beloved 2-D exploration based game back to major console release after existing primarily on hand held systems.

With Castlevania it's obvious that third person is the logical way to go, but the actual logistics of how it would work have failed in almost every 3-D attempt at Castlevania, Lords of Shadows being just good enough to actually play creates the template for criticism because in spite of it's failures it was closest to capturing the right spirit, but it's true failure is oddly enough it's greatest strength, by basically jacking god of war's combat and slapping the light and dark system on it they had a reasonably competent game, the drawing power was the big names attached to the story which was actually pretty dumb, so you end up with a solid 6.5-7 game with no chance of being anything more.

Fishbed did a nice job of explaining much of Prime's appeal but without paying proper homage to the games morph ball sequences which became a way of replacing the games faster moments which really helped with capturing the right spirit.

In short everything about Prime was the spirit captured perfectly and translated extremely well using the limitations of the new perspective.

While Shadows couldn't work in anything that properly captured the spirit of the Castlevania games because you knew you where just playing God Of War in chapters, which made the game fit better into that "Story" frame but castrated any exploration elements which are a trademark of both series.
No.189866
Anonymous
Replies:>>189867
>>189857
Yeah, I saw that too and while him praising Other M was probably just shitposting there were other less trollish people with similar opinions. That Prime was such a fundamental departure from the 2D Metroid games that it was hard to keep the same spirit, even though they're good games on their own. I disagree with them about the other bounty hunters "ruining the setting" though. If anything that added some neat depth and worldbuilding to the series which Other M promptly shat on.
No.189867
Anonymous
Replies:>>189877
>>189866
>I disagree with them about the other bounty hunters "ruining the setting" though.
Hmm. While I personally don't think their inclusion hurt anything, I can see it as a valid topic of discussion. The Metroid games have always been a very lonely affair--a single Bounty Hunter taking on an entire planet full of hostiles. Giving Samus allies who actually appear on screen in some ways does take something away from the solitude aspect of it.

Personally I don't think it hurt the game more than it helped it, so I'm okay with it, but I can definitely see it as being something worth discussing when talking about the success or failure of the Prime series.
No.189868
Nøpe
>>189852
It was never a major concern for me when playing the series.
No.189877
Anonymous
>>189867
The problem is that since Metroid is such an old series, and there have been so many games, it's hard to feel that lonely atmosphere anymore. Eventually you're just going through the motions. This is why people complain about Nintendo needing new IPs
No.189880
Nøpe
Replies:>>189886
>>189877
>This is why people complain about Nintendo needing new IPs
Do they just not buy them then?
No.189882
Anonymous
Replies:>>189886
>>189877

People don't want new IPs tho'. Sales figures support it.

//youtube.com/watch?v=Cxhs-GLE29Qyoutube thumb
No.189886
Anonymous
Replies:>>189893
>>189880
>>189882
Yeah, the "Lack of New IPs" thing is something that people like to *complain* about. New IPs are not something that people actually want to PLAY.
Replies:>>189892
save file
image:140987239400.png(802kB , 1024x576 , BwuMmwiCMAAjxn3.png)
Sick.
No.189893
Autonywork !x4vv0ZYuAo
Replies:>>189932
>>189886
It doesn't help when Nintendo does little to promote the new IPs (or even some existing ones; did Pikmin 3 have any large marketing?). Core Nintendo fans interested in the premise are likely buy, but they need larger numbers for any hope of something worthwhile. Hell, we had to beg them to bring over three RPGs (Operation Rainfall), and AFAIK the limited runs sold out.

But they'll go on a media blitz for a main Pokemon game--which will sell millions by mere existence alone--to the point that you can probably find some promotional deal at Home Depot or some shit.
save file
image:140988443500.jpg(285kB , 1067x1568 , 1409884203809.jpg)
Super Mario 64 4koma time.

https://archive.moe/a/thread/113221612/
No.189898
Shirou !lORCIa01Kk
Replies:>>189899
The Bayo spotlight was good but that trailer has made me worried about the story of this game.

I know I'm gonna have to sit down and pay attention to it because I'm a masochist but goddammit the plot of Bayonetta doesn't need to make LESS sense! Why can't we just get a videogame plot for a videogame type of videogame!? Is that too much to ask!?
No.189899
The Sneaky Tiki
Replies:>>189907
>>189898
Did you play Wonderful 101?
No.189907
Shirou !lORCIa01Kk
>>189899

Yes and I liked W101's story but I'm worried that won't be the case here because W101/Viewtiful Joe has always been one to take itself less seriously than other works usually by being a bit more self aware and having a bit more in the way of cartoonish slapstick going on.

Not that Bayo's plot is 100% serious but the first game did have a bad habit of trying to present its characters and their events in a confusing order and playing up its mystery elements in a way that doesn't really have much in terms of payoff outside of like one revelation It's sad that comedic relief Yuri Lowenthall is the guy with the most complete and straightforward character arc in that game.
No.189910
Anonymous
Replies:>>189919
I got the plot of the first Bayonetta on my first playthrough. Not sure exactly what could be confusing about it, sice eventuallty everything is spelled out.
No.189918
Probr
Smash sale. Nintendo games are on sale, like real genuine titles.
No.189919
Shirou !lORCIa01Kk
Replies:>>189929
>>189910

Bayonetta gives her younger self an amulet. She sends her younger self back in time.

You then see Jeanne try to Stab Bayonetta. How this was explained to me as that initially she was stabbed and imprisoned but since she gave her younger self the amulet the stab didn't work and Bayo and Jeanne spent years fighting...

If you can't realize how this would DRASTICALLY alter the events of the game up to the point Bayonetta returns, leaving open the question of HOW DOES LUKA EVEN KNOW WHO BAYONETTA IS ANYMORE then I dunno what to tell you.

Or maybe that person was full of shit and little Cereza's really was a pointless aspect of that story I don't know.

Lets not even get into how little of Father Balders plan actually makes sense and follows little to no logic or consistency.

It's not that the plot is necessarily hard to figure out when you think about it but the more you think about it the more nonsensical and stupid the whole thing becomes. And I wouldn't mind a videogame plot being nonsensical and stupid as long as it's just being up front about it but Bayonetta structures itself in such a way that it's like a mystery that you have to piece together.

And when you make a story that's structured like that it better be a fucking worthwhile mystery to solve otherwise you're just gonna piss off people who bother to put effort into trying to put it together.
No.189921
Anonymous
...I didn't like the first Bayonetta.
No.189922
Anonymous
>>189921
That's perfectly fine, there are people out there who hate puppies and rainbows
No.189923
Shirou !lORCIa01Kk
>>189921

My feelings on it are mixed personally. I thought the gameplay was fine, although not 100% to my taste. I thought the environments were good. The Enemy design was great. Music was catchy and suitably dramatic but there's a lot of confounding elements that make me sort of dislike it.

I'd still recommend it but I'd probably recommend DMC3 over it TBPH.
No.189929
Anonymous
Replies:>>189930
>>189919
Never gave much of a thought to that little plothole, because we are talking about beings of immense power who canonically possess control over time. I simply handwaved that fact that Bayo accquired those memories without the rest of the world changing with them, as being part of Balder's machinations. Yes, "it's magic, we haven't to explain crap" is a cop-out, but it works.

Also, Balder's plan was pretty straightforward. He wanted to summon God to remake the universe BUT he also wanted to be in charge, so he needed the two eyes active and under his control, and thus "fixed" that Bayonetta didn't truly become one with it in the past.

Frankly, I kinda like the fact that Bayonetta in essence is a tale of a woman coming to terms with her own daddy issues.
No.189930
Shirou !lORCIa01Kk
>>189929

>Never gave much of a thought to that little plothole, because we are talking about beings of immense power who canonically possess control over time. I simply handwaved that fact that Bayo accquired those memories without the rest of the world changing with them, as being part of Balder's machinations. Yes, "it's magic, we haven't to explain crap" is a cop-out, but it works.

No. No I don't think it does in this instance.

Because when you give me a plot that presents itself as something you HAVE to think about to understand and the answers to the multiple plot inconsistencies are "Don't think about it" you're giving me mixed messages there.

>Also, Balder's plan was pretty straightforward. He wanted to summon God to remake the universe BUT he also wanted to be in charge, so he needed the two eyes active and under his control, and thus "fixed" that Bayonetta didn't truly become one with it in the past.

I'd type up a response to this but I think a blog post I made a while back sums it up better... lemme just post it in spoilers cause:

"Yessss. I will lure Bayonetta to Vigrid! With her stone and her blood I will open the eyes of the world and Summon Jubileus. But to do that I’ll also need to brainwash her old friend Jeanne who survived for some reason and make them fight each other! But I’ll also make sure she doesn’t take the stone from Bayonetta because I don’t need it yet.

Then I’ll release Bayonetta’s younger self in the city and IMMEDIATELY send angels out to capture her thus summoning up her obviously maternal instincts and forcing her to protect her! It’s a good thing I can codify women’s personality so well.

Then as she’s busy protecting her younger self it’ll slowly awaken memories within her which will obviously help awaken the eyes for reasons. I’ll also send giant power angels out as sacrifice! And by sacrifice I mean try to kill Bayonetta. Man it’s a good thing I have such faith in my daughter’s skill as a fighter that I’ll just assume she won’t die fighting my army of all-powerful divine monsters. I mean if she did she’d get dragged to hell and then I’d just be fucked with this whole summoning the creator thing.

Then when she comes to my tower after obviously killing Jeanne (lol it’s so smart of me to make two former friends fight each other. No way that could go wrong) her younger self will sense my presence and come right to me… meaning I probably didn’t even need to try and kidnap her anyway but eh whatever.

Then I’ll fuse with little Cereza which isn’t creepy at all and use our combined power to destroy her! And I assume take the stone too. Which I can use Cereza for! Which means the whole part about me releasing her and having Jeanne give back the Stone was kinda stupid really…

But even if she does manage to best me she’ll probably be an idiot and use like, Lipstick for a bullet or something and I’ll totally survive! Then she’ll use my convenient time portal to send her younger self back to her correct period- JUST IN TIME FOR THE EYES TO AWAKEN CONVENIENTLY!

Then I’ll summon Jubileus and all will be well… well I mean unless Jeanne were to somehow survive their final encounter. Then I’d be in trouble!”

>Frankly, I kinda like the fact that Bayonetta in essence is a tale of a woman coming to terms with her own daddy issues.

Lady and Arkham from DMC3 also does that.

... I dunno if I'd call it GOOD but I'd call it better than Bayonetta.
No.189931
Anonymous
Bayonetta is a dumb game with the same old anime "make things bigger as the most shallow of hype".

Not saying it isn't fun but the only depth it has is faux-depth, the writing is nothing special.
>>189893
Hopefully they'll go all out with Splatoon.
Like, with free DLC that adds the Splatooner as a playable character to Mario Kart and Smash Bros.
No.189941
Autonymoose !x4vv0ZYuAo
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/06/super-smash-bros-3ds-will-not-support-circle-pad-pro
>Nintendo of Japan has confirmed on its 3DS support page that Super Smash Bros. for 3DS will not support the Circle Pad Pro attachment for the current 3DS and 3DS XL handhelds.
>Super Smash Bros. 3DS will, however, take advantage of the C-Button on the redesigned New Nintendo 3DS and New 3DS XL
What the fuck am I even buying it for at launch.
No.189942
Anonymous
>>189941
Okay. I guess that's news.
No.189943
Anonymous
>>189941
It's a 2D fighting game, and you want to use it with an analog stick?
>>189943
C-sticking is a vitally important smash bros technique.
No.189949
Autonymoose !x4vv0ZYuAo
>>189943
...that's a good point. I don't know why I was so annoyed at that. Shouldn't be a problem.
No.189964
Anonymous
Replies:>>189971
So, I guess this is the beginning of the end for the Circle Pad Pro?
No.189971
Anonymous
Replies:>>189975
>>189964
Pretty sure the end of that was some time ago. Afterall it was an OPTIONAL device.
No.189974
Anonymous
Replies:>>189975
They really gotta get somebody new to name their shit.
No.189975
Autonymoose !x4vv0ZYuAo
>>189971
Yeah, but I'd hoped it would have more support from Nintendo itself. Annoys me that the best they do to incorporate it is a nub in N3DS.

>>189974
Seriously. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the successor to the Wii U was called "Console".
>>189975
New Wii U
And it's launch title New Super Mario Bros New U
No.189987
Anonymous
>>189975
Calling it now, they'll name it "Wii 3"
Replies:>>189992
save file
image:141019337500.jpg(23kB , 294x311 , We3-Gud-Dog1[1].jpg)
>>189987
Oh god.
No.189991
Bunker !OFOzVPOG0g
Replies:>>189992
>>189987
Maybe get Samus back into the Promo Material being one of the Big Three
No.189992
Anonymous
>>189987
>>189988
>>189991

oh god, what if they had it as Wiii with each "i" being a character (Mario, Link, Samus).
No.189993
Anonymous
welp...
http://pastebin.com/ZWLNfpPH
check the dates
No.189994
Nøpe
I'll take it with a grain of salt as the Ridley thing might just be the leaker pulling our leg. Like with shiek.
No.189995
Anonymous
Replies:>>189996
>>189993
Can't you edit your pastebin entries.
No.189996
Autonywork !x4vv0ZYuAo
Replies:>>189997
>>189995
Yes, but the site will tell you and show (some?) edits:
http://pastebin.com/qxrG4G7W

So unless the bin in >>189993 found a way around it, they're lookin' pretty solid.
No.189997
Anonymous
>>189996
That's good to know about pastebin.

I still don't believe the Ridley thing though.
No.189998
Anonymous
>>189993
Oh, it's been removed.
No.190000
Anonymous
nintendo
save file
image:141031031600.jpg(48kB , 300x300 , 1354413497115.jpg)
>>189993
What did I miss?
Pease don't tell me Final Five are dead?
No.190014
Jumpman
Japanese demo of Super Smash Bros 3DS.

http://www.twitch.tv/cobanermani456
No.190015
Anonymous
>>190014
Is there any way to access my profile now without that damn JustinTV message popping up?
No.190016
Anonymous
>>189791
3DS or Wii U
I can only pick one.

Halp?
;_;
No.190017
Bunker !OFOzVPOG0g
Replies:>>190018
>>190016
Wait on it. New Model 3DS coming out in a few months, be a better comparison then.
No.190018
Autonymoose !x4vv0ZYuAo
Replies:>>190020
>>190017
And we'll likely have more solid details/dates by the time the N3DS hits internationally. (It still amuses me how Japan's gaming environment is mostly cell phones now, yet Japanese companies still focus on giving them all the nice stuff and giving it to them earlier.)

If you can't wait, anon, get a used 3DS for now to tide you over; at worst, you'll have some 3DS games to play on the N3DS.
No.190019
Anonymous
>>190016
As they said, the 3DS is more geared towards a solo experience while WiiU's is for the multiplayer. Most likely custom stages will come with the WiiU, and apparently it will have a lot more music too.
No.190020
Autonymoose !x4vv0ZYuAo
>>190018
Details/dates of other games, I mean.
No.190023
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
>>190022

Loving that music.
No.190026
Anonymous
Replies:>>190038
Villager looks fun and it seems like Link/Mario have been buffed enough to not suck anymore.
No.190027
Anonymous
Attacks look like they hit a harder this time, both aesthetically and gameplaywise.
No.190038
Nøpe
>>190026
I played him at the Best Buy demo a few months ago.
He is fun.
save file
image:141039601300.png(547kB , 1329x248 , ssb4-3ds-palettes-famitsu-marth.png)
Two more videos of the music that's in the 3DS Smash Demo:
//youtube.com/watch?v=h_5DkHbDVLkyoutube thumb
//youtube.com/watch?v=pgfmgcjnu4Iyoutube thumb

And Famitsu covers all of the palettes of the currently-revealed roster:
http://shoryuken.com/2014/09/10/famitsu-provides-extensive-look-at-super-smash-bros-for-3ds-character-color-palettes/
No.190047
Autonywork !x4vv0ZYuAo
>>190045
I wish they would give everyone actual costumes. Most of these are just palette swaps (lol Daisy.) Samus has a lot more variety in suit design, for example, especially with the Fusion suit, but all she gets are recolors (better recolors than in Brawl, granted.)

Does the Wii U version have actual costumes, or are they still just palette swaps for the most part?

I do like that Louie (I guess? the head seems weird) is an alt for Olimar.
Replies:>>190050
save file
image:141039695000.png(47kB , 167x258 , Alph.png)
>>190047
Olimar's alt is Captain Alph from Pikmin 3.
No.190050
Autonywork !x4vv0ZYuAo
>>190049
Ah, thanks.
No.190055
Anonymous
>>190047
I heard that the WiiU does indeed have more costumes (for example, Little Mac and someone else have at least 16, though it's still split between the three models). No idea if it's true though, I should hope it is and that they take advantage of the model swaps.
No.190056
Anonymous
>>190045
Wedding Marth looks a lot less ridiculous now, though his black palette is still lacking. Would've been nice if they gave him back his Melee/Brawl outfit though I guess they don't want to confuse him with Lucy.
No.190057
Anonymous
>people with their copies out
Shit is gonna go down.
No.190073
Anonymous
Replies:>>190076
Someone streaming their copy of the game:
http://www.twitch.tv/gema_yue

Lucina confirmed for 99% Marth clone just like everyone thought.
Wolf appears to have been cut, yet his theme is present on Cornaria stage.
No.190076
Anonymous
>>190073
>>190074
Can you guys decide on one thread and keep it there?
No.190079
Anonymous
[spoiler]So is the ESRB leak basically true?[spoiler]
save file
image:141045032100.png(319kB , 631x675 , happening.png)
The leaks keep on coming!
save file
image:141070750600.jpg(80kB , 851x473 , silky-smooth.jpg)
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-hands-on-with-bayonetta-2

//youtube.com/watch?v=D8btNuuCY90youtube thumb
save file
image:141081616000.jpg(40kB , 600x337 , BxmhDMVIUAAPJgl[1].jpg)
Apparently there's a glitch in Hyrule Warriors that lets you swap character movesets.
Replies:>>190223
save file
image:141081739400.jpg(32kB , 600x337 , BxmnLBuIAAAZ8mD[1].jpg)
>>190206
Quite possibly.
No.190208
Bunker !OFOzVPOG0g
Replies:>>190209
>>190205
does it scale to fit with the models?
No.190209
Rodyle !Cljnc/gZnM
Replies:>>190210
>>190208
I know as much as Cheezum's twitter feed told me, which is to say I know those two pictures exist.
No.190210
Bunker !OFOzVPOG0g
>>190209
If it does Great Sword Zelda would be awesome. Especially if the face animations don't break too much.
No.190212
Rodyle !Cljnc/gZnM
http://imgur.com/a/tROgM

Please don't fix this Nintendo, love Rodyle.
No.190213
Autonywork !x4vv0ZYuAo
Really, games should offer this kind of thing. Be a good use to bring back codes that you punch in to unlock this kind of thing.
No.190215
Rodyle !Cljnc/gZnM
http://imgur.com/a/ExEpr

PARASOL GANONDORF, HW CONFIRMED FOR GREATEST GAME EVER
No.190216
Bunker !OFOzVPOG0g
Zelda looks like she's gone mad with power. I like it.
save file
image:141083517500.jpg(137kB , 1280x720 , jojos-bizarre-adventure-12-mp4_snapshot_13-16_2012-12-26_00-33-21.jpg)
>>190205
>>190207
Link brought the Lonlon Milk?
No.190252
Autonymoose !x4vv0ZYuAo
Replies:>>190253
I was hype as hype when Xenoblade Chronicles was coming to the states, and after I got it I would play it almost every evening after work for hours upon hours. In the end I had almost 150 hours in the game, almost every quest completed, two levels from cap, got to the area right before the end boss, and... stopped. I don't remember why now; it may have been moving a few months later that made me stop, and then I just never picked it back up. It's always irked me that I left it unfinished, but never enough to sit down and finish it.

Tonight I finally finished it. Had to fight with my Wii to actually get to the end (two times the game tried to load and suddenly the system acted as if I just started to play; turns out the bristles over the slot had built up quite a bit of dust and wiped it all on the disc), but it was good to finally finish it.

I wouldn't mind playing through again to finish all quests, all Affinities, etc., but I don't know that I want to devote another 150 hours despite how much I liked it. The New Game+ bonuses kind of annoy me, too; I mean, it's great that I can walk around with a near-fully-leveled character and just decimate everything all my own, with kick-ass equipment, and 7M G, but I would have preferred something like Tales of Symphonia where I could select perks like faster level up, cheaper items, etc. Takes the challenge entirely out. I suppose I could just start a fresh game and grind through it again...
No.190253
Anonymous
>>190252
Yeah, the Newgame+ was a real bummer and felt tacked-on as fuck. I would've liked to see how much the improved equips, skills, and gems would've helped on a low-level run, even with the weird level difference -> stat boost/decrease system the game used.
No.190440
Anonymous
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/24/new-nintendo-3ds-to-launch-in-australia-and-nz-in-november
>Nintendo Australia has announced today that the New Nintendo 3DS and New Nintendo 3DS XL will launch on November 21, 2014 in Australia and New Zealand. This will follow the October 11 launch of the systems in Japan.
>“This will be the first launch outside of Japan, and there are no plans to release the system in America and Europe this year,” said Nintendo Australia managing director Tom Enoki during the presentation.
It's cool that Australia is finally getting some love instead of always getting sloppy seconds, but wut.
No.190441
Anonymous
I still can't decide how mad I should be for the newDS since I just bought my 3DSXL last year to the day and new power aside the little nub they give us rather than a second stick is just pathetic.
No.190442
Anonymous
>>190440
Wh
What the fuck.
save file
image:141158272600.jpg(37kB , 511x308 , Jackie-Chan-Meme-Template.jpg)
>>190440
>Smash Bros 3DS comes in little over a week
>is obviously incentive to buy a 3DS above anything else
>Nintendo not releasing it in the biggest market for video games this year until after Christmas
>implying anyone is going to buy a 3DS now instead of waiting for the new model next year

What the actual fuck is Nintendo thinking?
No.190444
Anonymous
Replies:>>190448
>NINTENDO
>Making smart software and hardware decisions
Pick one and only one.
No.190448
Anonymous
Replies:>>190450
>>190444
This is one of the dumbest decisions they've made in a long time though.
No.190450
Autonywork !x4vv0ZYuAo
>>190448
I think naming it "New 3DS" still tops the decision, because no matter when it comes out it's going to cause a fuckload of confusion in Joe Sixpack. Doesn't help that the changes are non-obvious, so the consumer might not notice the difference on first look. This will lead to a lot of very upset gift receivers, especially if the game they get with a "new" 3DS is for the New 3DS...

At least with this weird-as-hell delay there's the slight possibility they'll go for a local name change. Even "Next 3DS" would be better in terms of clarity, though still a stupid name.
No.190460
Anonymous
Replies:>>190465
God I love ol Ninty but I'll be the first to admit they're really god damn dumb about stuff.

Maybe that's why theyre delaying it. Market studies. Settle on the new name.
Cos god knows "new" doesn't mean anything in japan...

...but then again
australia
No.190465
Autonymoose !x4vv0ZYuAo
Replies:>>190466
>>190460
>australia
Right; I want to habeeb that the delay is for figuring out a better name and changing packaging for America/EU English countries, but that they released it in AUS without a name change puts a heavy damper on the idea.
No.190466
Anonymous
Replies:>>190468
>>190465

AND WHY AUSTRALIA
No.190468
DudeWithMoney !SFwR6DnH/Y
>>190466

Maybe they're trying to test-drive the New 3DS name in an English-speaking region that's of very little consequence, so if (when) it turns out to be a bust they don't lose out on much?

Thus we pray, anyway.
No.190479
Anonymous
Fucking hell, I was hoping it'd be out for Black Friday.
._.
No.190493
Anonymous
Replies:>>190494
So I finally started getting into Fire Emblem.

Ho-lee shit this shit's good. Anyone else into it?
No.190494
Anonymous
Replies:>>190498
>>190493

I play having a time finding out which pairings to use to optimize the outcome.
No.190496
Anonymous
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0HYFboPODIY
No.190498
Anonymous
>>190494
I'm just starting it out myself, but at the moment I'm pulling my hair out trying to not lose squadmates considering I have barely over a handful.
No.190504
Anonymous
Replies:>>190505
>open 3ds to look at smash deals
>sf64 for $30
>yaok.jpg
>literally tear up as the opening scene plays out as waves of nostalgia for my first ever video game crash over me
>it's been over 10 years since I lags played it
>muscle memory takes over. I know exactly what's going to happen
>memories of my father! a fighter pilot! helping me through the levels rise up
I can't handle these feels
No.190505
Anonymous
Replies:>>190508
>>190504
>sf64
>$30

What a ripoff. Even on Wii VC it's $10. Unless you mean the remake.
No.190508
Autonymoose !x4vv0ZYuAo
>>190505
He does mean the remake, it's part of their promo this week. http://www.nintendo.com/eshop/offers
No.190516
Deon
>>190508
Everything on sale this month I already had, I'm sad now.
No.190518
Anonymous
Replies:>>190519
>>190508
Does the remake even have any extra features or levels?
Why not just download a sf64 rom for a pso?
No.190519
Deon
Replies:>>190520
>>190518
Master Quest included, with a mirrored world to make it extra different.
No.190520
Anonymous
>>190519
Well that's... something I guess.

Better than the complete waste of time and effort that went into multiplayer (lol local only and we made it so you can see the faces of the people you're playing in the game despite them being 5 feet away)
No.190538
Anonymous
Replies:>>190539
>>190536
I'm really strongly considering getting the smaller version because of that feature.
No.190539
Autonymoose !x4vv0ZYuAo
Replies:>>190541
>>190538
The larger version can't do that?

Also, is that the Lady Gaga of Japan?
No.190540
Anonymous
Replies:>>190541
>>190536
Zelda and Peach get some nice outfits at the end there.
No.190541
Anonymous
Replies:>>190544
>>190539
Mnope. Just the regular.

And man, Lady Gaga's been over for a while now.
Trust me, I hate that I know this? But she's more of an Ariana Grande figure right now.

>>190540
Peach is always a cutie...
Samus on the other hand, she just got a bit of her Varia suit.

She probably got a fancy brightly coloured tux underneath, though!
No.190544
Autonymoose !x4vv0ZYuAo
Replies:>>190553
>>190541
Well, shit. I had my sights pinned on getting the XL/LL/LOL version, but I'll have to rethink that if it can't do the interchangeable plates...
save file
image:141201187900.png(63kB , 626x372 , wewantfatalfram.png)
No.190553
Anonymous
Replies:>>190556
>>190544
If the plates can be custom-made, I'm sold. Completely.
No.190556
Autonywork !x4vv0ZYuAo
>>190553
They look to be simple plastic snap-ons; I would be heavily surprised if we don't see a shit-ton of plates like we see covers for phones. I'm sure a small niche industry will pop up making plates, at least in Japan. We'll see how popular it is over here.
save file
video:141214888000.webm(2.57MB , 853x480 , Spoiler video)
Years ago I casually joked about Platinum making a Starfox game...
I desperately want this to happen now. Ideally with some Mass Effect RPG or space opera drippings and ship tuning/ customization.
No.190592
Anonymous
>>190591
Do they even have the right experience with that kind of genre?
No.190595
The Sneaky Tiki
>>190592
Almost every Platinum game has some variation of this, also, Punch-out.
No.190599
Anonymous
>>190592
RPGs? Not really.

Rail based flight sims? A decent amount. Then again it's not too tough of a genre to build well and they've got what looks like some tight controls already from the webm, so half of the battle's already done.
No.190600
Anonymous
Replies:>>190601
>>190591
I'm... assuming that's from Bayo2?
No.190601
The Sneaky Tiki
Replies:>>190602
No.190602
Anonymous
Replies:>>190603
>>190601
Huh.
Whats the deal?
Nintendo Exclusivity deal and suddenly its all about parodying their IPs?
No.190603
The Sneaky Tiki
Replies:>>190610
>>190602
Homage. they are doing the games more justice than Nintendo has lately.
No.190610
Anonymous
>>190603
I see.
What happened to that Wii U starfox, by the by?
Wasn't Shiggy testing that one out in the E3 Direct?
No.190613
Anonymous
>>190610
They're working on it.
No.190616
Anonymous
Replies:>>190617
>>190610
We know it's being made, but it's nowhere near finished enough to show off.
No.190617
Anonymous
Replies:>>190633
>>190616
They missed a chance with the Wii. They could've had some real interesting flight controls going on with the motion controller.
No.190633
Anonymous
>>190617
That's tough to speculate on. Some games had pretty nice waggle controls while others were nigh unplayable. The gamepad seems better suited to a Starfox game since the built-in screen seems natural as a HUD replacement or weapon management system.
Replies:>>190679
save file
image:141257905500.gif(449kB , 286x119 , 134264549246.gif)
I've been playing through SFAssault again and
damn it, man you were so full of potential.
You could have done great things.
No.190679
Anonymous
>>190678
It was definitely a step back in the right direction after Adventures.
No.190680
F-ing
>>190679
Definitely not gonna argue that.
No.190681
Anonymous
>>190679
I don't get the hate for Adventures. The Star Fox brand was just a coat of paint for a pretty solid game on its own and I don't really take it any more seriously than Mario Tennis in relation to stuff like Super Mario 64 or Galaxy.
No.190682
Anonymous
>>190681
Many people were unhappy to see a game wherein Fox spends more time smacking dinosaurs in the face with a magic staff, rather than in the cockpit of his Arwing, as the successor to Star Fox 64. It's not a bad Zelda clone, it's just too much of a departure from its predecessors.
No.190683
F-ing
>>190681
I was pretty enthusiastic about the change in setting and style of Starfox... But the game really had a pretty big set of flaws.
New gameplay elements are always an exciting way of exploring an old genre. ie, yes, Mario 64/Sunshine to Mario Galaxy.

That's stuff's new ways to look at the same formula and remix it to keep it fresh and exciting.

But that was achieved much more by Assault than Adventures. And even then it was kind of a swing-and-a-miss because of how badly the on-foot missions control.

I don't really remember how many or accessible 3rd person shooters were in 2005, but I hope if the Wii U one builds on what we have today if they go down that road.
Either way the Arwing sequences were pretty much the best part of Assault. Great visuals with some pretty fun gameplay and level design.
Hell, the story wasn't that bad either!
Sure wasn't Command at least!

boy that took me back to my Arwing Landing forums days.
No.190684
Anonymous
>>190681
The game Star Fox was polished over wasn't really that solid. There were a lot of problems that would have kept it from being really popular even before they put an older IP on top.
save file
image:141289562200.jpg(23kB , 600x600 , mh samus.jpg)
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-10-08-samus-and-zero-suit-samus-costumes-in-monster-hunter-4-ultimate
No.190757
Autonywork !x4vv0ZYuAo
Of course ZSS is posed for dat ass.
No.190759
Anonymous
Replies:>>190764
>>190756
That is silly huge
No.190761
Anonymous
Captain Toad for $39.99! Great news for anyone who's on the fence about it.
I'd... totally check it out if I had a Wii U...
No.190764
Anonymous
>>190759
Ridley sized.
No.190774
Anonymous
Man.
I dunno about you guys buy I think they big mistake nintendo is making is that they're competing with themselves in a way.

Like, so far, they've wanted to establish they don't compete with Sony and MS, but the 3DS and Wii U are kind of splitting their market, I think...
save file
image:141459419600.png(376kB , 960x1033 , nintendo.png)
>As a result, for the six months ended September 30, Nintendo reported revenues of 171.4 billion yen ($1.6 billion), down 12.8 percent year-over-year, and profits of 14.3 billion yen ($132.3 million), up 23.4 percent year-over-year.

>Analysts described the results as "a much need boost during a very difficult period for Nintendo," although Jon Copestake at The Economist Intelligence Unit noted that Nintendo's current strategy "reflects a degree of reliance on flagship games to support console shipments, which may be difficult to sustain in the longer term."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/228882/Super_Smash_Bros_helps_boost_Nintendos_bottom_line.php
No.191048
Nøpe
Replies:>>191049
Looks like that extra polish they're putting into their games is paying off.
No.191049
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
>>191048

Now if they could just get third parties to give a damn.
No.191050
Anonymous
>>191049
How well is Bayonetta 2 doing? Hopefully we see more games in that vein.
No.191053
Nøpe
Replies:>>191058
>>191049
I'm not sure they ever will.
Nintendo does poorly with the N64: no one wants to make games for a system with a small market.
Nintendo does well with the Wii: no one wants to compete with Nintendo's games on their won system.
Release later with the more powerful GameCube: everyone's already on the PS2.
Release earlier with a weaker WiiU: everyone's waiting for the more powerful Xbone and PS4.

They always seem to be too late or too early on the 3rd party mark.
No.191058
Anonymous
Replies:>>191067
>>191053
With all the crossover titles Nintendo is getting other companies to make (Pokken, Hyrule Warriors, SMT x Fire Emblem) I think they've learned to go to the third-parties rather than wait for the third-parties to come to them.

I don't think we'll get many third-party IPs on the system, at least not without mixing in a first-party franchise. But outsourcing is still going to get more games out for the system. It may not draw in people who don't already have a Wii U, but with most current Wii U owners being big Nintendo fans the games will likely do pretty well.
No.191067
Anonymous
>>191058
>SMT x Fire Emblem
Is that really still happening?
No.191080
Anonymous
Replies:>>191083
>>191067
Yes, they just haven't announced anything because they announced the game itself too early. They had nothing to show.
No.191083
Anonymous
Replies:>>191094
>>191080
>>191067
I kinda don't want it to cos I hate Persona and I like FE?
And I kinda didn't like FE's forray into Persona-ness with Awakening?
No.191094
Anonymous
Replies:>>191095
>>191083
>And I kinda didn't like FE's forray into Persona-ness with Awakening?
Awakening was absolutely nothing like a Persona game.
No.191095
Anonymous
>>191094
Probably talking about the waifus and social links or whatever they're called in Awakening.
No.191097
Anonymous
Replies:>>191099
>>191095
>social links or whatever they're called in Awakening.
Ah, that would be the Support conversations that have existed in Fire Emblem since the beginning and were not significantly from Awakening than in any other game in the series? Oh my, how egregious.
No.191099
Anonymous
Replies:>>191104
>>191097
I'm just sayin - I wasn't a fan.
No.191100
Anonymous
Replies:>>191101
>>191095
>waifus
Yeah you can really tell they went all out on making it serviceable to fans.

I mean, lets see a figure like Tharja's be made of literally any other Nintendo franchise character.
No.191101
Anonymous
>>191100
>I mean, lets see a figure like Tharja's be made of literally any other Nintendo franchise character.

Would Samus count? Because it does have the same spirit behind it...
No.191104
Rodyle !Cljnc/gZnM
Replies:>>191106
>>191099
Then you must really not like Fire Emblem since they've been around since FOUR.
save file
image:141471239800.png(230kB , 650x940 , EUGENICS.png)
Min-maxing is my waifu.
Please send help.
No.191106
Anonymous
Replies:>>191109
>>191104
I said Awakening, damn it.
And i liked it, I just wasnt a fan of that one element

what do you want from me
No.191108
Anonymous
Replies:>>191110
Didn't you say earlier in the thread that it was "Awakening's foray into Persona-ness"? But the support conversations have been an element that's been apart of other Fire Emblem games. So the point would be, it isn't a new element to the fire emblem series, so it can't be "a foray into Persona-ness." And I guess they'd like you to admit you were wrong/misspoke/were attempting to poorly troll people by making it seem like Fire Emblem was stealing things from Persona.

Personally, I just discounted your opinion as shit and moved on because who the fuck doesn't like Persona, I mean come on.
save file
image:141472682800.jpg(14kB , 200x234 , 1233646929875.jpg)
>>191106
G̨̛̜͉̞̩̙̪̥͆̅͒̈́̾̈́ͥ̄̌͐̾͘͠I͍̥̲̻͈̼̮͖̬͒͐̄̈̆̋͌̇͊ͤͤ́̕͠V̳̘͈͚̻͍̗̺͍͙̬̺ͣ̃͐̓͛́̉̂̂̉̉̽̂̀͂͢E̐͂̓͆ͯ͒ͮ̀̆̐̅ͬͨ̎̚̚͏̛̥͖̞͕̹̬̞͔̻͉͎̼̬̩͘ ̹̮̘͎̱̫̤͊̽̈̆̔̍̆͌̎̊̌̕̕͝ͅM̸̴̱̭̪̰͕͖͓̝̪͕͈͍̲̳̣ͧͯ̊̈́ͨ̈ͤͥ̋ͤ̏ͤ̊̒͜Eͩͫ̐̊͏͍̖̺͎̖̣̪͓͍̪́ͅ ̢̝͎̜̜̭͉̗͓͓͇̝͗̓̒̇̊͑͗͋͒͒̍͜Ỷ̡̻̗̻͉̲ͪ̓ͧͤ̎̊̉ͨͬ͛̃ͮ͆̃ͣ͒͛͟O̗͍̤̣̳̼̝̅̓̅ͫ͆̆͋ͬ͛ͬ̆ͫ͘͝Uͥ̆́͞͏̷̧͈͉̹̼̠͈̮̤̜R̵͙͎̼̪̱̩͖̙̤̟̹͉̲̻͉̋̒̐̓̐͂ͬ͂͋̎͞ ̥̮̟͎̝̹̻͎͉̝̯̠̖̹͈̎̋̂ͣ̒̏ͮ̿̎͐̂̑͆̑͘͟͟͠S̷̟͙͕̦̯̗͔͖̎̋̎̃ͬ̇ͣ̄̒͑͒ͧͦ̚͘͟O̩̞̻̳̒ͩͣ̈́̆̾͝U̷̶ͣ̏̆̾ͮ͊̅̂ͦͩ̚͏̮̱͖̗̟͙͍͖̘̜̰̹̼L͙̗̳̣̥͇̮̮̗̮̞̻͎̞̈́̊ͩ͢ͅ
save file
image:141473078700.jpg(24kB , 310x330 , 1340000771754.jpg)
>>191108
I meant stylistically and the fact that any conversation can turn into a marriage proposal if you're not carefu--
>who the fuck doesn't like Persona, I mean come on.
No.191117
Jumpman
>Q4: At present, your company's hardware and games make use of region-locking, by which games purchased in one region cannot be played in another region. Are there any plans to unlock this restriction?

>A4: Iwata: The game business has a history of taking a very long time with localization among other things, such as having to deal with various issues of marketing in each particular country, or games that have made use of licensed content that did not apply globally, and had all kinds of circumstances, so to say, that region-locking has existed due to circumstances on the sellers' side rather than for the sake of the customers. In the history of game consoles, that is the current situation. As for what should be done going forward, if unlocked for the benefit of the customers, there may also be a benefit for us. Conversely, unlocking would require various problems to be solved, so while I can't say today whether or not we intend to unlock, we realize that it is one thing that we must consider looking to the future.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/events/141030qa/02.html

Translation from Cheesemeister.
No.191120
Anonymous
>>191117
At least they're sort of listening.
No.191122
Autonywork !x4vv0ZYuAo
>>191117
>unlocking would require various problems to be solved
I'm assuming he's talking about the loss in profit by allowing people in some countries where they might jack up the price (Australia) get the game for a reasonable price from another area that speaks the same language (America).

Well, boo-hoo, perhaps you shouldn't price gouge. Or, if it's about not being able to make a return producing the game for the specified region, wouldn't a non-region-locked game just mean you can offer direct sales of a version made for a different country with the same language? This might be problematic for text-heavy games like RPGs where language nuances are more prominent, but platformers and FPSs would be fine.
No.191124
Anonymous
Replies:>>191125
>>191122
>Well, boo-hoo, perhaps you shouldn't price gouge.
I think that's mainly the taxation laws for entertainment and hardware combined in each particular country. Like take Brazil for instance. There really wasn't any way for the Playstation hardware to penetrate the market in any significant way. Especially for the economy's state. The reason? Brazilian law "punishes" hardware imports - so Sony had to put assemblies in the country to reduce the prices almost three times their import price.

>This might be problematic for text-heavy games like RPGs where language nuances are more prominent
In my experience, they don't really ever change the language stylings by region. They go with a localization and stick it to every country with the same language.
No.191125
Anonymous
Replies:>>191130
>>191124
>In my experience, they don't really ever change the language stylings by region. They go with a localization and stick it to every country with the same language.

Which is why Xenoblade was, even in the American version, very British.
No.191126
Anonymous
Replies:>>191130
>>191122
>I'm assuming he's talking about the loss in profit by allowing people in some countries where they might jack up the price (Australia) get the game for a reasonable price from another area that speaks the same language (America).

Not necessarily the loss in profit for *him* as for the local distributors who would then find it less worth their time to make deals with Nintendo regarding distribution. It's the same reason streaming sites don't allow streaming in foreign regions a lot of the time--doing so makes it much more difficult to make the deals which will allow domestic copies of the product to be sold. Not because CONSUMERS wouldn't buy it, but because the local organizations will consider themselves to be in competition with the home company.

I am not arguing in favor of region-locking. But I am saying that you are attempting to oversimplify an issue that genuinely does have nuances.
No.191130
Autonywork !x4vv0ZYuAo
>>191125
Xenoblade was an oddity in that regard. I think companies normally make the English version with American/Canadian actors, then ship that off to Australia/UK.

However, for whatever reason Nintendo didn't initially care to release it in America but did in Europe and Australia. So, for the English version, they used British folks. After Operation Rainfall they finally brought it to the states, but in the simplest way possible: European English voices (and offered only through Gamestop.)

>>191126
>doing so makes it much more difficult to make the deals which will allow domestic copies of the product to be sold.
Makes sense. I thought it was because of licensing agreements already in place, plus the small variations in how copyright works across countries.
No.191184
Anonymous
This direct is like a tiny E3 keynote.
I'm loving it.
No.191190
Anonymous
Oh god the Nopons in X look so fucking cute.
No.191192
Anonymous
Well that was a pretty good direct!
I'm actually really liking the amiibo idea.
No.191204
Anonymous
Duck Hunt intro was extremely cute. But man I do wish we would get more concrete information on the gameplay of Xenoblade X than what we've seen so far which is highly rudimentary.
No.191210
Anonymous
I was hoping they'd release a Smash Bros WiiU system bundle, but I'm pretty sure they would have announced one some time ago if they were going to. Should I just purchase a WiiU now rather than waiting? Are there any good bundles out at the moment?
No.191215
Anonymous
Are there really people seriously comparing Xenoblade X to Grand Theft Auto V?
No.191216
Anonymous
>>191215
There's a reason /cog/ is the only game forum I visit.
No.191217
Nøpe
>>191215
The city hub looks like a modern town, so obviously they're directly comparable in all other aspects.
No.191234
Anonymous
>>191215
Just Kotaku being Kotaku as usual.
No.191313
Jumpman
Replies:>>191318
//youtube.com/watch?v=pRx2Vxwni_syoutube thumb

//youtube.com/watch?v=Qf5a2-0nJ_0youtube thumb

This game is giving off some serious Epic Mickey vibes. Also, Knuckles has gone full retard here.
No.191318
Anonymous
Replies:>>191319
>>191313
Was Epic Mickey bad?

All I remember was people being super hype over a grimdark horror disney title with all the
KILL THE MOUSE
TAKE HIS HOUSE
stuff
No.191319
Nøpe
Replies:>>191324
>>191318
It was okay. Better in some aspects than others.
Camera sucked, but for better and worse it had all the makings of a 90s platformer with less emphasis on collecting and more on fetch quests.
Really, the best part of the whole thing was the concept art. You can really tell they where trying to push for a much more intense experience, but had to dial it back.
No.191324
Autonywork !x4vv0ZYuAo
>>191319
>You can really tell they where trying to push for a much more intense experience, but had to dial it back.
Yeah, a lot of the grimdark images first released made people go "oh, wtf, this will be awesome" but Disney made them dial it back hard...
No.191345
Jumpman
Replies:>>191357
I need this scene edited with "Fly like an eagle"

Pokecapn get your crew back together. We have another Sonic trainwreck we need you to suffer through.
No.191357
Autonymoose !x4vv0ZYuAo
Replies:>>191358
>>191345
The jumping reminded me of the original Link's Awakening, where you would move to the edge of a screen to go to another, hit Select just before the screen changed and, when you went back, would be on the same side of the screen as the screen you had just left. Led to a lot of sequence breaking (and glitches, glitches everywhere.)

But why the fuck are there default models for the characters? My only guess is that there's a cutscene when the door opens, and you take control of those characters after the cutscene... but why do that? What point is there in leaving behind the models currently being used and using this new set?
No.191358
Nøpe
>>191357
Cutscene models usually have more complex bones for complex animations that would be a needless burden on processing for regular gameplay.
I'm guessing that's what's going on here.
No.191367
Anonymous
Replies:>>191384
>>191364
I WANT TO GET OFF BIG RED BUTTON'S WILD RIDE

//youtube.com/watch?v=wXMIYm3KJnUyoutube thumb
Replies:>>191377
save file
image:141584330700.png(93kB , 599x479 , B2SFaLUIMAA5otX.png)
>Only one QA tester

And this is the guy that probably went on /v/ to tell everyone how shit this game was.

http://pastebin.com/fPnQm7rU
No.191377
Anonymous
Replies:>>191378
>>191372
I remember someone posted a link to a thread several months ago where a guy in QA spilled the beans on how terrible the game was. Were they legit or just making up stuff that sounds equally as bad as it turned out to be?
No.191378
Jumpman
>>191377
He was right about Shadow first appearing at a hill, being a boss, and fucking off after that. Along with Metal Sonic being in the game and leading the robotic enemies, until Lyric showed up.

http://archive.moe/v/thread/249034950/#249049807
Replies:>>191403
save file
image:141593413600.jpg(1.04MB , 1280x720 , Sonic.jpg)
Sonic Retro has done some detective work. Apparently this game got Colonel Marine'd. There's a lot of content shown off in early trailers and screenshots that is apparently gone. What's more, they looked WAY better than what we got here.

Pic related. This is literally nowhere in the game. Instead, we got this.

//youtube.com/watch?v=jLA_01rFqp8youtube thumb

Nintendo of America spent all day of Boom's release promoting the fuck out of it. This is truly sad.
No.191403
Jumpman
>>191402
The game apparently was in worse shape at E3, so perhaps the downgrade is the result of trying to get the game to run on Wii U. BRB even had to modify the CryEngine 3, in order to get it to run split screen images on the Wii U.

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/sonic-boom-use-enhanced-version-crytek-3-engine-standard-engine-wouldnt-suffice/

This game is going to end up killing BRB. There's no doubt. When that happens, I hope someone from the team spill his guts. Like Sonic 06, I'm curious about what went wrong. Also hoping for some insight on how Sega handles game development for Sonic.
No.191404
Anonymous
>>191403
Oh no oh no oh no I hope it doesn't cost anyone their job.
This was clearly not ready to be published - it wasn't because of any laziness, it's because this was very obviously rushed to get in before black Friday.
Sure, the writing might have been crap no matter what, but it still would've been above most other sonic games....

Ugh, I just hate it. Less industry jobs for artists and programmers.
No.191405
Autonymoose !x4vv0ZYuAo
>>191395
>51 minutes
Do people actually watch these, or are they just posted for whoever might be keeping track of speed run times?

LPs I can understand because they're done in shorter bytes and sometimes have useful commentary, but I can't see someone sitting there for an hour watching.
No.191406
Anonymous
Replies:>>191407
>>191403
>>191404
You know, I just realized something.

We all know Sonic Chronicles is a shitty, shitty RPG, but SEGA outsourced it to Bioware. Up to this point we all assumed it was Bioware's fault as they're not as good as they used to be. But now I'm wondering if SEGA isn't to blame, because this is like they truly don't give a shit whatsoever.

If Sonic Team doesn't bounce back with a truly great Sonic game like Generations, only better, I think Sonic is done. Truly done. I mean he was already dead, but I'm thinking the series might actually go on hiatus, or that SEGA will go bankrupt yet again.
No.191407
Autonymoose !x4vv0ZYuAo
>>191406
Even if the next Sonic Team game sucks, Sonic is a tentpole for SEGA. They'll continue making rehashes and stupid iOS "Jump" games, plus merchandising and Archie comics.
No.191408
Rodyle !Cljnc/gZnM
Replies:>>191409
I don't understand why, after they nailed it with Colors, they immediately forgot all those lessons and reverted to making trash.
No.191409
Anonymous
Replies:>>191410
>>191408
Generations was far better than Colors, and Lost World was honestly the same level. Colors was somewhat disappointing after everybody hyped it up so much, it's really slow (and by that I don't mean the last of boost, but the stop-and-stop level design) and clunky.

>>191404
This game's dev time was three years.
No.191410
Anonymous
Replies:>>191414
>>191409
That doesn't mean it's actually the time they spent on the version we know.
No.191414
Anonymous
>>191410
Very true.
Remember Bioshock Infinite. Ended up little like its final E3 preview...and most every preview and trailer before it in all but setting. Hell, even that was initially changed after who knows how much development.

Whatever, I shouldn't rant about that. This is about Red Button and their problems.
Though honestly, I think Sega itself might have something big to do with it at this point. After 3 major fowl ups with 3 individual western companies, the lowest common denominator seems to rest on them.
save file
image:141595998700.gif(1.20MB , 359x202 , 569.gif)
This is the best joke from the game.
No.191418
Anonymous
Replies:>>191419
At this point, I just wonder if the cartoon's any good.
No.191419
Bunker !OFOzVPOG0g
>>191418
Its good for Eggman. Clearly best character, as has been the way of Sonic games for a while now.
No.191421
Nøpe
>>191395
Jeez. They really do never shut up.
No.191424
Anonymous
I feel that the people saying it's as bad as 06 have never played 06.
No.191425
Anonymous
>>191424
Can you blame them?

Joking aside yeah 2006 is still in a league of it's own. It's almost impossible to play that game with stuff like the load times.
No.191426
Anonymous
>>191424
2006 has its merits over this game.

For one thing, if I squint my eyes, when playing Sonic's campaign, I feel like I'm playing Sonic Adventure 3. The level design has branching paths, and some of the levels are honestly...enjoyable. I know, weird, but Sonic's levels can be genuinely fun to play. Although there are definitely moments that are NOT fun, and some of the level design is broken as fuck (Radical Train and Flame Core) I legitimately enjoyed playing Wave Ocean, Crisis City, Kingdom Valley, and Tropical Jungle. Another thing: the music kicks ass. Is it me? Do I have incredibly low standards? Am I not allowed to give credit where credit's due? I don't know, but other famous Sonic fans, notably Somecallmejohnny, seem to side with me here.

But this, THIS is just TRASH. No redeeming value. The gameplay is boring, the music is stock, it is glitchy to the point of legitimately being unplayable, it lags to hell and removes shadows when you enter co-op mode (Which is the SELLING POINT and what the game is built around btw) and at least Sonic 06 has an excuse for why it sucks so hard. This game has none whatsoever.
No.191428
Anonymous
>>191426
Yeah, sonic 06 is trash.
The only actually playable level without anything fucked up was the demo level and even then, there were some screw ups.

they just cant get it right, huh?
No.191429
Anonymous
>>191426
>>191424
06 and Boom are different kinds of bad. Sonic 06's is literally so terrible that it becomes hilarious, whereas Boom isn't quite as bad in certain respects, but at the same time they make it too good/competent to be funny anymore because the badness was exactly what made 06 entertaining.
Replies:>>191448
save file
image:141601519100.png(82kB , 624x360 , brb.png)
The plot thickens...
Replies:>>191437
save file
image:141602003900.jpg(174kB , 1050x526 , image.jpg)
edited to actually be funny by /co/

And no, it's not as bad as 06. I don't see how this is even up for debate.
No.191435
Nøpe
Replies:>>191436
I don't see how it matters which is worse.
No.191436
Anonymous
>>191435
It doesn't.
But its fun to talk about.
No.191437
Anonymous
>>191434
>And no, it's not as bad as 06.

That's like saying lung cancer is not as bad as pancreatic cancer. Technically true, but the former still sucks copious amounts of ass.
No.191438
Nøpe
I know they didn't bother to send out review copies (one of the many red flags), but I would have expected sites to be all over this shit by now. A bomb like this is just begging for "justification" clicks.
save file
image:141606977100.png(677kB , 1280x720 , tumblr_n1kqjtkJ951rku8ybo5_1280.png)
>>191431
More on this:

http://www.tssznews.com/2014/11/15/reports-suggest-brb-exodus-ahead-of-sonic-boom-launch/

Also, a good post on the story changes that happened with the game from initial announcement to final product:

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?518835-Removed-content!-Sonic-Doom-Rise-of-Lyric&p=8860755&viewfull=1#post8860755
save file
image:141609206900.png(152kB , 483x743 , B2hBAu_CAAARNCF.png)
While nothing confirmed, here's a summary of what apparently went down with Sonic Boom.
No.191482
Bunker !OFOzVPOG0g
>>191467
so it was not a sonic game to start as. Think the snake villain is a leftover from before the switch.
save file
video:141610762000.webm(1.13MB , 640x359 , fireblast.webm)
Project M 3.5 is neat.
No.191520
Jumpman
Replies:>>191530
>>191467
Ravidrath of Lab Zero Games confirmed some of this:

>There was a fair amount of staff turmoil on this project, but I don't think moreso than the usual project.

>The single decision that put this game on this path was going with CryEngine. It's just not ready for a third person platformer, so they were fighting against the engine the entire time.

>And the game went Gold in July, which is why people started leaving around then. Many of them layoffs.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=138990679&postcount=17

TSSZ also elaborated more on Chris Senn's (Sonic X-Treme) departure from the game:

http://www.tssznews.com/2014/11/16/research-reveals-x-treme-alum-senn-in-brb-boom-exodus/
No.191530
Anonymous
Replies:>>191531
>>191520
How the hell would LabZero know anything about another companies business details?
No.191531
Anonymous
Replies:>>191533
>>191530
Insider trading?
Corporate Espionage?
Bullshit?
No.191533
Nøpe
>>191531
Maybe one of the ex-BRB employees works there now?
It would be based on hearsay but it's more than nothing I guess.
Replies:>>191553
save file
image:141618730800.jpg(230kB , 2048x1609 , NssLlob.jpg)
for anyone that thought the Sonic Boom redesign of Eggman missed the point, it could have been much worse.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=934141
No.191552
Anonymous
>>191544
Heh. Yeah, gen 3 is still pretty nostalgic.
save file
image:141619143700.png(1MB , 737x589 , 1405742267940.png)
>>191550
Who the hell thinks it's a good idea to make Robotnik a kid or hillbilly?
No.191566
Jumpman
Replies:>>191569
//youtube.com/watch?v=d4fGyHQU6jkyoutube thumb

I can't watching all these glitches.
No.191569
Autonymoose !x4vv0ZYuAo
>>191566
Civilian Knuckles
No.191572
Anonymous
http://ssb4bingo.tumblr.com/post/102882315539/nintendo-to-grant-permission-for-derivative-works-in
Does this mean they don't have to change the tag to Porkyman anymore?
No.191573
Anonymous
>>191572
Something tells me Ninty is desperate for more money, since they're basically saying "please help us advertise".

This is supported by them taking down CoolROM's Nintendo sections recently.
No.191574
Anonymous
http://www.senntient.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2176

>"I can confirm that as of June this year, I no longer worked for BRB, but I did not willfully choose to leave. I did all that I could, crunching the moment I joined the company, averaging 5am to 7pm daily and was dedicated to the end. I cannot comment more at this time."

Yup, SEGA got Colonial Marine'd again.
save file
image:141625522000.png(129kB , 410x304 , 7ee0F52 - Imgur.png)
A collection of all the Sonic Boom concept art being found online:

http://imgur.com/a/i1YpZ#0
No.191578
Nøpe
>>191573
That seems less of them desperate for money and more of them trying to restructure for the modern market. They probably do this so they can remain relevant in the future and not find themselves in a position like with the Wii U, where the new fanbase was a flash in the pan and the old one feels alienated. They do have a massive rainy day fund after all. Just buckling down and keeping themselves from getting lazy with the market again.
No.191579
Anonymous
Replies:>>191581
>>191573
Are you kidding me? Nintendo's warchest is pretty deep and can probably last them a year or two, plus I'm pretty sure they've already managed to reverse a lot of their initial financial losses with the WiiU recently. I think it's just a matter of them learning from their mistakes and trying to retreat from some poorly thought out positions to avoid future backlash.
No.191580
Anonymous
>>191572
Nah, this is because of Japan's equivalent of Youtube Lets Plays where the sites financially reward videos with high visibility.

Nintendo's basically saying OK to them earning that money with videos of their games.
The headline is basically all the implications such a development carry.
No.191581
Autonywork !x4vv0ZYuAo
Replies:>>191584
>>191579
>can probably last them a year or two
The estimates I've seen of Nintendo's war chest are between $5BN and $10BN, but that was in 2010 or so. Their first unprofitable year in forever was 2011, and 2012 was also unprofitable (http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/24/4260062/nintendo-2012-earnings), though 2013 was barely profitable (http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/24/nintendo-financials-show-a-tough-year). The losses for both years are about $300-400M.

Assuming they can keep losses from falling further, they would need about 8-10 more years of that to burn through their war chest (worst case; 20-22y best case).

More likely their announcement is not an attempt to get money but an attempt to lose less money. By allowing this they don't have to pay as many lawyers and can build up fan goodwill. Plus, if someone makes a popular items they could contact the creator to buy/license and then produce it themselves for an easy source of merchandising profit.
No.191584
Anonymous
Replies:>>191585
>>191581
>Plus, if someone makes a popular items they could contact the creator to buy/license and then produce it themselves for an easy source of merchandising profit.

Wonder if I could hypothetically make an F-Zero comic spin off and just ring up Nintendo Legal and say "Hey, how much is the licensing fee on this?"
No.191585
Autonywork !x4vv0ZYuAo
>>191584
I phrased my sentence poorly. By "they", I meant Nintendo. The idea is that Nintendo lets fans create stuff using Nintendo properties. Nintendo then monitors twitter/Facebook/whatever and see what things are popular and might be commercially viable. Then Nintendo contacts the person who made the thing and either buys the thing from the creator wholesale or "licenses" the thing and pays the creator a commission.

Essentially, they would outsource low-key R&D/product development to the public, things like witty T-shirts or posters. They then pick up only the winners and have no lost time or effort for failed ventures. This would mostly likely be for merchandising, but could come about for comics/animation. But you wouldn't be able to call Nintendo up, you'd have to wait for them to call you.
No.191587
Anonymous
Replies:>>191662
save file
image:141651150700.jpg(94kB , 853x480 , al_141115_1512.jpg)
>>191585
So basically have fun with that Project M thing and don't worry about C&D, but instead worry about being head-hunted to work on 5mash?
No.191662
Autonywork !x4vv0ZYuAo
>>191657
I guess. Although I think Nintendo is more likely to try to buy the material off the programmers rather than hire the programmers themselves.
No.191665
Autonywork !x4vv0ZYuAo
...I think I'm finally over the Pokemon series. Like, that last bit of interest has finally died.
No.191671
Anonymous
Replies:>>191672
>>191665
I find myself more interested in the remake stuff than the "Newer" games. I thought HGSS was great (the gameplay and menus were SO streamlined! They went two steps back RIGHT after with BW) and ORAS seems interesting! Mainly since RS were still in the 'sweet spot' of nostalgia to me. I'd be lying if I said it was anything else.

I think the only exception for the new stuff was that one Fire Emblem Pokemon game. Conquest. I should check it out, seems like pretty much what I'd love to see out of the franchise!
No.191672
Anonymous
>>191671
That wasn't Fire Emblem based, it was Nobunaga's Ambition based.
No.191675
Jumpman
Replies:>>191682
>>191665
I feel old, when it comes to Pokemon. I can't keep up with all the new types, evolution and all that stuff.
>>191675
Dragons were to OP so Fairy puts a complete stop to that.
Super effective against and immune to it.
An outrageous switch in option.
No.191684
Anonymous
Replies:>>191686
>>191682
Or at least it would be, if Fairy Type didn't have such a terrible moveset and such weak species populating it. It's really gimped.
No.191686
Anonymous
>>191682
>Dragons were to OP

Two or three of them maybe,

>>191684
Yeah man fairies are so useless, it's only one of the best defensive types in the game.
save file
image:141660754600.jpg(66kB , 1024x768 , B2-nhJDCYAAhjRS.jpg)
So, who bought one?

I didn't, because I don't have a Wii U and I'm an adult, but I'm curious about the how well these things are made. Considering the major change from prototype to final designs.

I'm just teasing with that earlier comment
No.191689
Nøpe
>>191688
Already spent the games budget this month, but I might grab a Kirby after Christmas or something.
No.191692
Anonymous
Replies:>>191697
>>191688
I'd get me a Samus one if I didn't hate the Other M armour design.

I hate it.
So much.
Replies:>>191700
save file
image:141662221000.jpg(79kB , 612x612 , Img_4339.jpg)
>>191692
I didn't think it was so bad.
Very sleek and cutting edge.
I got Link to get the Spinner in Hyrule Warriors.
The sword looks so fragile, it makes me nervous.
If I were to get another Amiibo, it would have to be a sturdier built character, like Kirby.
No.191700
Anonymous
>>191697
Sleek, maybe but you don't need sleek to destroy entire planet-bases full of enemies single handedly.

Maybe its just the fact that its Other M's armour.
Now THAT.
THAT I really hate.
Replies:>>191753
save file
image:141677298800.jpg(57kB , 351x640 , DOUBLE BEAM WEAPONS.jpg)
A manufacturing defect has led to this rare "variant" Samus Amiibo.
No.191753
Anonymous
Replies:>>191756
>>191738
Gee Samus, how come Adam lets you have two boosters?
No.191755
Autonymoose !x4vv0ZYuAo
>>191752
I don't know why the "Bubsy 3D" line made me laugh so hard. But it did.

Also, first video, second scene, I like how Knuckles just walked right over the edge as he spun up. "Welp, fuck this game."
No.191756
Anonymous
>>191753
My fucking sides.
save file
image:141684110100.png(934kB , 860x645 , 1391759004723.png)
Sorry to hark on about Sonic Boom but:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-24-grand-theft-auto-5-now-uks-best-selling-game-ever?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

>$20 million budget
>didn't even make sales charts
save file
image:141684504200.jpg(38kB , 316x500 , 14526811807_5fe7cdb789.jpg)
The Sonic Stadium has a good article of all the cut stuff from the game:

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2014/11/the-spin-sonic-boom-what-happened-part-1/

>Remember how at the start of this I said “I’m shocked at how we found out about one particular aspect of Boom’s cut content.” This is that particular bit. Perci wasn’t just an NPC who you talk to, at one point she was playable, or if not playable she at least joined you on a mission. How do we know this?

>Because Amy tells you so in a stage in the final retail release of the game!

>I was shocked at this, there’s a mission where if you play as Amy she will actually say “Good job Perci!” Yet the only other character in the stage is Knuckles! Perci isn’t even in the area, she’s back in the Hub town, so how is Amy saying this? Unless it’s left over dialogue from when Perci was in this stage?

Interesting to hear Perci may have been a playable character in the game. Considering how little Sticks--the new addition to the Sonic cast that was promoted out the wazoo--is featured very little in her debut game, I'm wondering if BRB actually wanted Perci, but Sega changed its mind last minute.
No.191765
Bunker !OFOzVPOG0g
>>191762
Sounds like it, this whole development as scatter shot. I could see the game ending up broke as hell because Sega wanted to rehash things. Seems to be a common theme with them as of late.
save file
image:141685961800.png(86kB , 342x295 , aab.png)
>>191762
I have no words. I haven't seen this big of a trainwreck in years.
No.191771
Anonymous
Oh jesus, I wonder if Ian Flynn going completely silent on his forum and 4chan in general has to do with this, in some way.
No.191774
Bunker !OFOzVPOG0g
>>191771
Well maybe that and he's been hard at work rebuilding a comic universe essentially from scratch.
No.191775
Autonywork !x4vv0ZYuAo
>>191762
SEGA probably didn't want another potential hedgehog love interest for Sonic. "We already have Amy and Shadow, that should be good enough for anyone!" was what they told RBR. SEGA then went back to sampling Jello pudding, as is their daily work.

>but Sega changed its mind last minute.
I doubt SEGA looked at the project much until the very end. They barely seemed aware that they had signed a license agreement with Archie until Penderok (or The Pendering, if you prefer), then suddenly SEGA was putting their fingers and penises in all the pies.
No.191795
Anonymous
Replies:>>191798
>>191771
He hasn't been silent though?
No.191798
Anonymous
>>191795
I'm Ron Burgundy?
No.191852
Jumpman
http://www.sonicstadium.org/2014/11/the-spin-sonic-boom-what-the-heck-happened-part-2/

Fascinating stuff.
No.191925
Anonymous
Are there any good RPGs for the WiiU yet?
Or is the "must have" catalog still just: Bayonetta, Tropical Freeze, Smash Bros, Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart, and Mario?

Debating on maybe picking one up this month. I ask for good single player games because I live in the middle of nowhere and don't have many frieds that can stop by. I also know Nintendo still has yet to figure out proper online.
No.191931
Nøpe
God damn. Captain Toad is just as charming as it looks. Nintendo has atmosphere locked.
save file
image:141785736900.png(796kB , 533x675 , callback.png)
I wonder if that was at all intentional.
No.191954
T4 was here
Replies:>>191956
Oh I have been waiting for this!
//youtube.com/watch?v=kzZioEkiow4youtube thumb
No.191956
Anonymous
>>191954
That got progressively more and more obnoxious.
save file
image:141807182000.jpg(81kB , 660x407 , discontinued-copy-660x407.jpg)
>After the November 21 launch of Amiibo, Nintendo’s line of Skylanders-style interactive figurines that connect to Wii U games including Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart 8, would-be buyers started to notice that supply of some of the figurines dried up fast at retail outlets and online, and didn’t seem to reappear.

>Today, Nintendo confirmed to WIRED that this was deliberate, and the company does not plan to ship any more of several of the Amiibo figurines after the “initial shipment.”

>“We will aim for certain amiibo to always be available. These will be for our most popular characters like Mario and Link. Due to shelf space constraints, other figures likely will not return to the market once they have sold through their initial shipment,” read the full statement.

>A Nintendo representative told WIRED that the company was not adding any further details about which Amiibo figures would be always available, and which would be phased out.

http://www.wired.com/2014/12/amiibo-discontinued/
http://www.nintendo.com/eshop/offers
There are some pretty cool offers right now.
Grabbed Liberation Maiden and it's pretty funny. Maybe I'll get Attack of the Friday Monster as well.
No.192573
Anonymous
http://youtu.be/y3YhARq_i4E
save file
image:142259029000.jpg(65kB , 640x388 , image.jpg)
code name Steam demo is up to download on 3ds