/coc/ - Projects

File allowance: 8MB jpg, 12MB png, 8MB gif, 16MB swf, 16MB webm, 16MB mp4

Stats: 29 posts, 8 images (total attachments: 8)

Toggle poster info Replying to /coc/418429 Close window
Options
save file
image:159171863126.png(138kB , 230x553 , 1528590392231.png)
I Know A Guy

Wiki entry:
https://the-conservatory.fandom.com/wiki/I_Know_a_Guy

Script pastebin:
https://pastebin.com/Gu5brwHA

Conner is a teenager in a super high school who has no powers, but he can get you things... for the right price.

I felt it needed a thread here since it could help with keeping track of conversations about the project.
No.418430
Anonymous
save file
image:159171880879.png(649kB , 800x1200 , 1 - colored.png)
There are already some comics to this project's name.

The pilot comic - The Dragon of Lakefire

https://imgur.com/a/p0RVhzE
No.418431
Anonymous
Replies:>>418438
save file
image:159171897713.png(1.46MB , 1225x1838 , 1529766443214.png)
The second comic - The Trade Off (image posted here is of the concept drawings for the issue with the link being the actual comic)

https://imgur.com/a/g7OD93U

This one is still a work in progress.
As of posting this, it was just shared in the weekly /coc/ threads on /co/ and feedback is still being given.
No.418432
Anonymous
The Third comic - The Supervillain (title might be subject to change?)
It's also still a WIP, more so than the second comic with feedback being something the artist is asking for since the script for it in the pastebin was so sparse.

https://imgur.com/a/KpIMghB
No.418433
Anonymous
save file
image:159171923817.png(1.7MB , 924x1160 , 1573966556233.png)
A 4 page series synopsis:

https://imgur.com/a/FkOZBR9

It's also still in the rough stages.
No.418434
Anonymous
Replies:>>418435
That art style is familiar. Is that Endpiece?
No.418435
Anonymous
Replies:>>418436
save file
image:159173017353.png(387kB , 582x624 , 1514056556313.png)
>>418434
I myself thought that at first and asked using the Family Unit drawings End Piece made, but no, it's a different artist who goes by One Guy With No Deadline or just Artist Anon in the threads.

But because I asked using that Family Unit pic, the concept became integrated into I Know A Guy and a daughter was added to the family seen here.
No.418436
Anonymous
Replies:>>418437
>>418435
I'm getting Jetsons vibes from that pic.
No.418437
Anonymous
save file
image:159173303534.png(322kB , 683x484 , 1370449404479.png)
>>418436
He's pretty chill most of the time.

Now this pic was drawn by Endpiece... back in like 2013 or 2014.
No.418438
Anonymous
>>418431
Thinking about the Trade Off some more, I should bring up with the artist to not forget Conner's handcuffs that he wears at all times. I know the pages are roughs, but it shouldn't hurt to mention it to him.

And George's facial expressions remind me of the Royco Cup A Soup animation.
No.418463
Anonymous
save file
image:159236653905.png(1.51MB , 1173x1320 , 1575134537043.png)
The rivalry story in the pastebin was written in response to this image.
No.418464
Anonymous
save file
image:159236660161.png(956kB , 963x1488 , 1592278081659.png)
Additional student character ideas/concepts/designs.
No.418465
Artist Anon
Replies:>>418467
Does anyone still have the rough descriptors for Mr A and Mr EO's designs
No.418466
Artist Anon
Replies:>>418473
Also let me know if there's any student/hero/villain designs you have (original or from the wiki), that you think we could make a good short story from. Stuff like expies of other series (Yu-Gi-Oh and Death Note) will be fine too
No.418467
Anonymous
>>418465
Mr. A is tall and huge (but not really fat or muscular), has perpetually angry looking eyebrows (like resting bitch face, but angry face), somewhat pronounced canine teeth that make him self-conscious of smiling, and lots of body hair.
He's like a gorilla-bear. He looks nothing like the typical "healer" sort.
Sort of like a taller, less jacked Wolverine.

Mr. EO is skinny, stick-like even, but wears big clothes that flow. Like thick jackets and long coats to make himself look bigger. He always wears goggles that have some built in displays and control functions for some of his machines.
Very angular.
Like a mix between the man with a sparkler on his head from that episode of PPG and Rusty Venture.
No.418473
Anonymous
Replies:>>418481
>>418466
Hmm... let me float something by you.

So Deelette is a character of mixed origins. There's a handful of monsterkid school stories involving her. In some stories she's a child, in other stories she's in highschool, but they are all on the same timeline.
One of the story ideas is about /d/eck Wars, /d/'s custom Cards Against Humanity deck. The deck was never completely finished, but there was an idea about this deck ending up at school and the cards being scattered everywhere.

This idea of a scandalous inappropriate deck of cards needing to be recollected might be something to consider for IKAG. Especially if the cards have some sort of magic on them. Like a really disturbing Card Captor parody.

Anyway, just thought I'd run this by you since IKAG seems to pull from a lot of ideas from other projects that sort of got half-way over the years.
No.418481
Artist Anon
Replies:>>418482
>>418473
Do you have a link to the creation of (or any major discussion of) the deck idea? Are the cards supposed to be innately cursed, or just have really risque suggestions?
I floated an idea a while back about Conner and Pepper competing to complete a full trading card set (him doing it for validation/enjoyment, her doing it for the financial value) and inadvertently sparking a revival of the game. I'd assume the cursed /d/eck would have a completely different synopsis, maybe pastiches/expies of series protagonists teaming up or competing to reassmble the /d/eck, or even stop it being assembled at all ("Only you can return the cards to the deck." "Why us?" "Because you let them out!"). It feels like the kind of thing that Pepper would try to blindly capitalise on, while Conner wouldn't want to risk expulsion over any involvement. Or it could be another Mr A scenario where Conner's involvement (aiding a theft) is cancelled out somewhat by his later actions (returning the property). Or he might even be an antagonistic force actively trying to stop the deck from falling into [what he perceives to be] the wrong hands. Whatever scenario is brainstormed on and deemed most interesting.
It would definitely be strange if the Boards and Card Games Club weren't involved, or at least namedropped in some capacity.
Magic's always an interesting element since Lustbane and the succubus teacher were floated as ideas, but I'd rather justify it the same way powers are. Through mutation from exposure to an alien element, or just sufficiently advanced/poorly-understood biology and technology. Maybe magic is a school of study that has an high entry curve, like you have to know the equivalent of coding or advanced calculus before you're allowed to try and interpret it, and some people are just more gifted at it.
No.418482
Anonymous
Replies:>>418483
>>418481
I collected pretty much every Deelette related story on this pastebin.
https://pastebin.com/d0hkrjE2

And there are links to other pastebins in it with other stories.

The /d/eck as it was when last discussed several years ago:
https://pastebin.com/WPwwpnZ1

The actual content of those stories might not mesh all that well with the IKAG setting seeing how it was a mix of /co/ and /d/ back before /aco/ existed.
I'm just thinking that there could be a story where an exchange student shows up after weirder than normal things are going on and it turns into a gotta collect 'em all-a-thon with the cards actually having an influence on people or summoning things into existence.

Magic in the general /coc/ setting is often described as playing a musical instrument, anyone can learn how, it's just harder for some than it is others.
No.418483
Artist Anon
Replies:>>418484
>>418482
1) The entire Deelette setting would clash with IKAG, but the premise of Deelette herself could be filtered through. She makes me think of a student who has mutation powers that make their life a living hell - inhibiting their breathing and bloodflow, poor understanding of (and inability to control) said mutations (tentacle-forming?), undercover organisations trying to kidnap them for study, etc. Likely grew up on the poor side of town and only transferred to Motown High because the principal learned of those powers and ostensibly took Deelette into her care. In actuality the principal is just another interested researcher and Deelette's social/mental well-being plays second fiddle to reverse-engineering her powers. Stories of babies/children unable to control their power (touch-of-gold, combustion etc) and the steps society took to try and mitigate them (chambers to monitor pregnant women), could give Conner some perspective on how much his life could 'actually' suck.

>I'm just thinking that there could be a story where an exchange student shows up after weirder than normal things are going on and it turns into a gotta collect 'em all-a-thon with the cards actually having an influence on people or summoning things into existence.

2) To tell the truth I don't feel comfortable with the step of 'magical influence/summoning things', but I can't rationalise why when we have a setting for people with powers already. I think the setting should be a little more low-key, or any particularly wild stuff should be beyond Conner's reach or beyond his control (sort of like the protagonists of Hidden Fortress or C3P0/R2D2 in Star Wars, the bigger events happen around them). I could make the framing device of the story a dream, so long as the dream leads to actual changes in the setting or character development (since another thing I'm not a fan of is the whole 'you thought things were gonna change? psyche it was a dream, the end' trope). A big danger of the dream/daydream storytelling device is it can lead to lots of self-indulgent fluff that doesn't go anywhere.

2a) Alternatively: Amelia's a deviant weeb. Teenagers vent by making and doing dumb things they try to keep secret, like going through phases or making shrines or making amateur games/comics/fanfiction/etc. She probably started making the deck herself to work out some issues, and 'someone' found out about it and surreptitiously spread the cards around school. When Amelia finds out, she bluffs that the cards are cursed/magic to try and stop people from using them - please hand them in to the student council and we'll do an 'investigation' into who was responsible. But when people try to use them and they don't work, they rationalise that certain cards must only match up in the 'correct' pairs, or the whole set needs to be found.
No.418484
Anonymous
Replies:>>418485
>>418483
If you don't feel like it works, then don't sweat it. There's always a lot of trial and error to see what works and what doesn't. Can't know if something doesn't fit unless you ask.
Truth be told, my mind landed on Deelette since she sometimes fits the age range of the kids at the school and the other characters who also fit that age range (Mean Teens, Shark Lass, etc.) had already been brought up. And that was pertaining to background cameos and filler for crowd shots.

On the subject of a student being subject to endless organizations trying to study young supers, that sort've veers into Pepper's territory since the military kept trying to confirm if the powers were "inherited" when she was a child.
No.418485
Artist Anon
>>418484
>If you don't feel like it works, then don't sweat it. There's always a lot of trial and error to see what works and what doesn't. Can't know if something doesn't fit unless you ask.

I encourage the trial-and-error process of collaborating. Truth be told, I just don't want to shit on people outright if they have conviction in their suggestions and ideas. Since there's one person drawing comics, there's already a bottleneck for the project; me going "no that won't work" to everything would defeat the purpose of /coc/'s group projects.

Even the Lustbane guy who keeps coming back and reiterating how his character's combat style works or demon appearance looks, must believe in his idea strongly enough. I feel like like Magi is the only person that can make that concept interesting or appealing though.
No.418486
Anonymous
Replies:>>418491
>>418485
Magi excels at making things look sexy.

The only ideas for Lustbane in the IKAG setting that I can come up with would be a parody of that episode of Billy & Mandy "That's My Mummy".
Or a parody of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Battle Tendency's hammon oil training pit. Wherein Rudy's mom has a "pit of lust" in the back yard which she throws the kid into and Conner somehow ends up down there as well.

But that's more like a funny situation than a plot, and funny situations can be done with any characters.
No.418487
Anonymous
>>418485
The lustbane guy is pretty obnoxious, he also tried to push that concept of an escaped super soldier experiment that was just a pale muscly blank dude?
No.418488
Artist Anon
Replies:>>418489
>>418487
>He also tried to push that concept of an escaped super soldier experiment that was just a pale muscly blank dude?
You mean 94 and 54, or a different super soldier concept? I was pretty certain 94 was a different anon
No.418489
Anonymous
Replies:>>418492
>>418487
He's more overbearing I'd say.
The impression that I get from him is that he has an idea, but he wants someone else to do all the legwork for him, or that he doesn't know how to do the legwork and won't go through the process of learning how and getting the skinned knees that come with learning.

I don't know if that impression is accurate, it's more like a gut feeling after years of seeing similar things happen.

>>418488
I'm pretty sure he mentioned at some point that he was the one behind them as well.
I feel like we're sort of veering off track with this now though.

So, this is looking nice.
https://imgur.com/a/sTsPogX

Conner's cuffs are missing in the first page, but I assume you're already aware of that.
No.418490
Anonymous
The changes to the ending don't bug me, I knew there'd be cuts. Conner's frustrations over feel like he got conned come more from the body language now. (It tried to auto-correct that to body building, hilarious, I bet there's a club for that).

There is one thing that bugs me though. Belle comes off as a bit too mean, too "snooty" or "bitch cheerleader" when they're off to deliver the bear. My idea for her is that she actually is a sweet person. A southern bell meets valley girl type of deal.

Might I suggest a change?

Conner: "So, do you want that gift-wrapped, or...?"
Belle: "No, no! That won't be necessary, but, like, can you help me deliver it?"

Belle: "Usually my, like, fan club offers to help me with this stuff, but I think you've proven yourself."
No.418491
Anonymous
>>418485
/coc/ characters look like whoever does the most art of them, so if you want to define a character, you have to draw them. A lot.

If you are specifically making a collaboration, I'd recommend doing a model sheet of a character, something that you and your collaborator both agree on. The point of that is to have the design "set in stone", and have the others agree on a set design, and not do something like adding some random detail just because they think it looks cool.

However to find out what works and what doesn't, one would need to draw a lot of parts of the comic in advance. That makes it a chicken and the egg problem.

>>418486
>Magi excels at making things look sexy.

I've been saying that for so long.
No.418492
Artist Anon
Replies:>>418493
>>418489
>Conner's cuffs are missing in the first page, but I assume you're already aware of that.
Gonna have to go back and edit them in, ditto all the missing cuffs in the pencilled pages.

>>418490
>There is one thing that bugs me though. Belle comes off as a bit too mean, too "snooty" or "bitch cheerleader" when they're off to deliver the bear. My idea for her is that she actually is a sweet person. A southern bell meets valley girl type of deal.
Honestly, I felt like I had completely glossed over the general difference in social status between Conner and Belle early on, so that may have been an attempt to establish it. I can rectify that for you and change the line, though.
I had trouble fitting in some parts (the hole in the Cooking Club wall) because I wanted to keep to a page count that's a multiple of 4 (easier to fit into print). So I'd like to address those in one-page comics after the main story too.

>>418491
>If you are specifically making a collaboration, I'd recommend doing a model sheet of a character, something that you and your collaborator both agree on. The point of that is to have the design "set in stone", and have the others agree on a set design, and not do something like adding some random detail just because they think it looks cool.
I get it, but I feel like if another person picks up on the model sheet and changes it anyway because they think it'll be more interesting, they should still be allowed. Since there's a chance they're right and the changes catch on. At worst, it gets ignored afterward.

>However to find out what works and what doesn't, one would need to draw a lot of parts of the comic in advance. That makes it a chicken and the egg problem.
Yeah. It's annoying but it's part of the process of working on any project, that you'll get acclimated to what seems like a rough design and be able to streamline it.
No.418493
Anonymous
>>418492
Belle is popular enough where nothing threatens her social status, so she doesn't need to make any effort to demean others to prop herself up.

You've established "50 club Conner" in this issue, so one-off comics of any or all of those escapades would work very well.
You could even head-line all of them with "50 Club Conner" to better help identify them as a mini running gag sort of thing.