/coc/ - Projects

Please consider donating! Thanks!

Thread stats: 345 posts, 39 files (39 image(s))

Toggle poster info Replying to /coc/417376 Close window
Options
save file
image:152692000600.png(1.16MB , 800x1000 , melusine_03_by_theeyzmaster-d8dn64s.png)
A guy on /co/ was translating Melusine comics, and I figured it's worth a thread here. Just in case it dies off like every other attempt so far.

Mélusine Volume 01 Magic spells
https://mega.nz/#!llB1wAxZ!9Cjqcs4HCP4CQVVedbJ_ohjoUwCVKl5MTM8hY4vGJp4

Melusine 24 - The Phantom City (Scanlation)
https://mega.nz/#!dJAgQaja!PZZ3xR7jBfoLKmP-qESg28yrjCXQsQYEx2zQ9cEeZks
No.417377
Anonymous
I believe it's two different guys; one started from the beginning and is skipping any volumes Cinebook translated and the other started with the more recent stuff where the series shifted to longer adventure stories from one-page gags.

With a third volume being proofread now it's already a pretty impressive result. Add that to the five mediocre Cinebook releases and almost a third of the series is done.
No.417378
Anonymous
First proofer here, I don't give a flying fuck about being credited. I'd actually prefer if 4chan isn't mentioned at all in the release.

As for the filename format, just use the one from #24 in the OP.
No.417379
Anonymous
Melusine 03 - Inferno (Eng) .cbr
https://mega.nz/#!swYCXCgT!DHVT7woQftqRZpC9Sj0KcsPuPSOY0btAfhzm-lUM-XI
No.417380
Anonymous
Replies:>>417381
Volume 04 ready for proof reading
https://mega.nz/#!E5YnyRpB!vfomLcWA33eHzYLmvz2oIr9QlskeO5oJJiQse_SRItg
No.417381
Anonymous
>>417380
First here, I'm on it. Want a pastebin here or in the win-o/euro thread if one is up?
I'll have it done by sunday at the latest, but most likely before that.
No.417382
Anonymous
https://pastebin.com/LdzYJ8xy

My notes. There's quite a bit of capitalization fixes and such for the little story at the end.

And reminder that, for the sake of consistency and easier future searching, the filename should be

Melusine 04 - Stories To Read By The Fire (Scanlation) ([your nick here, if you care for that]).cbr
No.417383
Anonymous
Ok, here's volume 04 fixed. thanks again for your help.
https://mega.nz/#!NwhXVRyC!FHhDXS89HOlTMxDapW2o4t5yQelpAu1A9h0KFj0LU3s

Doing volume 06 now
No.417384
Anonymous
Thanks! I was waiting since 2007 for these.
No.417385
Anonymous
Nice. I noticed you missed winter -> winters in the short story, but that's hardly worth making an (F) for. Also, good job on learning to gimp.

Note: If you do decide to make changes after releasing stuff, then the new file should have an (F) in it, otherwise you can't tell if you have the Fixed version or not.
Using this as an example, the filename should be
Melusine 04 - Stories to read by the Fire (F) (Scanlation) (TranslateAnon).cbr

In case another fix is needed for a file that already has an (F), use (F2), (F3), etc. as needed.
No.417386
Anonymous
Noted.

Volume 06 to proof read :
https://mega.nz/#!x0oXkJbJ!PtUZwuv51TQ9jDBWJmRv0MzewWWTLKEnIyhpGAP4nGQ
No.417387
Anonymous
>>417386
First here, I'm on it. I expect to be done by sunday or monday, depending on how much there is to fix.

I'll be offline for approximately 2 weeks, starting around the 10th.
No.417388
Anonymous
Thanks for the update. I saw no new threads about it, so I was worried that the project went the way of the dodo due to lack of feedback.

Rest assured that we really appreciate what you are doing.
No.417389
Anonymous
>>417386
2nd Anon done with proofread:
https://pastebin.com/DTnA24BY
No.417390
Anonymous
>>417386
1st here
https://pastebin.com/4mJPrKQG
save file
image:152811148500.jpg(981kB , 1394x1920 , Melusine_T06-digital-44.jpg)
Thanks to the both of you for your work. missed quite a lot of things in this one.

few things :

>18
>p6
>book titles untranslated

Those are not in French, I don't think they mean anything.

>38
>p11 b1
>supreme of vegetable -> creme of vegetables
>i'm assuming there's a pun here with "supreme" and some french word for "soup" sounding similar

It's just a dish name based on the chicken supreme dish, Supreme spell > vegetable supreme >laugh ensue ( It's not a very good joke )

>44
>p6
>"changed victims" sounds weird. i'm not really sure what melu means by it

I wen't for metamorphosis victim as the other anon suggested.

>p7 b1
>melus response sounds like there's some wordplay in grumblots bubble, but it doesn't really makes sense

I'm assuming you're talking about the last panel, the joke is, Mélusine notices the Korrigans are victim of a transformation spell, and wants to free them, when she does, turns out they weren't people to begin with but cooking ustensils. and Grumblot makes fun of her.
So I changed grumblot's bubble with "wahaha, I'm sure they're grateful, mélusine!"
Then, I misunderstood the meaning of the expression " put a lid on it"
I thought it meant " shut up", plus it worked well with the ustensils theme.
So I changed it to "put a sock in it."

Tell me if this it better.
No.417392
Anonymous
>417391
>Then, I misunderstood the meaning of the expression " put a lid on it"
>I thought it meant " shut up", plus it worked well with the ustensils theme.
>So I changed it to "put a sock in it."
No, you were right; "put a lid on it" DOES mean "shut up" and is a funny follow-up to the cooking pots reveal. Please change it back.

You are still missing a question mark in panel 6, though.
No.417393
Anonymous
Replies:>>417394
Alright. It's done.

volume 09 is going smoothly. It's the funniest and the lewdest yet.
No.417394
Anonymous
>>417393
>Alright. It's done.
Link?

>It's the funniest and the lewdest yet.
Oh ho! Looking forward to it!
save file
image:152818361600.jpg(924kB , 1395x1920 , Melusine_T06-digital-01.jpg)
here you go

https://mega.nz/#!plZU2LJQ!2_5IkD9iFBsYwpzs-lM02VidPbXBhubFfsI5IkftUtM
No.417396
Anonymous
>>417395
Thanks.

>9 lewdest
oh_my.gif
Replies:>>417398
save file
image:152820263100.jpg(149kB , 606x503 , Melusine_T06-digital-10.jpg)
>>417395
Haha, nice job on page 10.

I am having trouble with page 44, though. It wouldn't display in CDisplay although when I unzipped it I could open it in image-editing programs and it appeared fine.
No.417398
Anonymous
Hypothetically speaking, if you were to come up with a misunderstanding that an idiot like Melisande might mishear from the word "divorcing," what would it be? The French "ourson" doesn't make sense in English.

>>417397
I have the same problem with page 44.
No.417399
Anonymous
Replies:>>417400
>>417398
Are there any entanglements with the mishearing pun? If it's replaced with something rather different, would it interfere with other jokes?
No.417400
Anonymous
Replies:>>417401
>>417399
Not really, she just makes a stupid remark and gets disregarded, and then she comes back to it a few pages later and is again ignored.
No.417401
Anonymous
Replies:>>417402
>>417398
>>417400
divorcing -> the forcing

divorcing ->diversion

divorce-> devour
You'd have to rewrite the line a little but something to consider.

All of us can always give it some work as part of proofreading the whole volume
No.417402
Anonymous
>>417401
1st here, reminder that I'll be offline the next ~2 weeks starting friday.

>>417395
Seems like an (F) is needed. I get a broken file on 44 as well and I'm using CDX. Oddly enough the proofing version had no issues.
No.417403
Anonymous
Replies:>>417407
Page 44 is indeed broken. This one should work.

https://mega.nz/#!I4BQzZ6L!AvrQ66CcvGhHQTCdqpHcQg7zgaN7hOd1q9QNiwZZPTs
save file
image:152835291600.png(151kB , 202x494 , snip.PNG)
Hey, here's a thing to look over.
https://mega.nz/#!BYA3HKQI!vq-mUCwR5fAuU6xW2v1kGQU1fz8etP9AdXvfVXa-hts
Original for reference https://1fichier.com/?0m9u1pmxh3&af=2473494
I'm working on getting the filesize lower atm.
No.417405
Anonymous
I spotted 2 or 3 spelling errors, I'll list them once back at hom.

It's a bit odd ot pick the latest book for translation, since it has a bunch of references to past volumes (even if just support characters making an appearance).

Not that I'm complaining, mind you. You could say I'm used to Melusine books being translated in random order.
No.417406
Anonymous
Replies:>>417408
The other translator seems to be doing a good job with the gag-a-page volumes, and he's going in order, so I picked later volumes so I could work at my own pace. I can take requests for books too.
I can't actually find 25 though.
No.417407
Anonymous
Replies:>>417408
>>417403
Thanks.

>>417404
Wish I could, but I'll be offline the next ~14 days so you'll have to rely on 2nd proofer only.
>lower filesize
For what purpose? Highest possible quality is always the best option and ~120 MB isn't that much. It's a wee bit over 2 MB/page which is fairly reasonable. Had it been 500+ MB I could see the point, but not for this.
No.417408
Anonymous
Replies:>>417409
>>417406
Fair enough, I just thought it would be better to do those in order as well, especially since they are building up a support cast and a story (more or less). Nice font on the title card, by the way.

>>417407
Regarding the filesize, I'd consider the goal to get roughly the same size as the raws, maybe a little bit higher, but not significantly so. I understand that recompression of lossy jpeg leads to quality loss and you aim to reduce that, but modern compressors (at least the one in Photoshop, anyway) are good enough for this to not be a significant issue.

Like if the raw is 60MB and the scanlation is 120MB, that's pretty noticable. 10-20% more or less, no one would bat an eyelid.
No.417409
Anonymous
Replies:>>417410
>>417408
Oh, I thought the raw was ~120 MB. That's reasonable.
No.417410
Anonymous
>>417409
I'm not the translator.

The raw for that volume is probably not 120mb. I'd need to check, but I'm pretty sure it is smaller. From memory I remember something like ~50mb per book. I could be completely wrong without checking for sure however.
No.417411
Anonymous
2nd Anon here. I'm happy to continue proofreading but I don't know if they should be considered to be done if it's just me going through them. There always seems to be things that only 1st Anon or only me find so it'd be better if 1st Anon take a look before it's "officially" done.

There might be the problem of building up a backlog while 1st Anon is away, though.
No.417412
Anonymous
checked it, book 26 raw is 55mb. In my opinion, a 120mb scanlation is a bit large for that, unless there are some major quality issues at lower sizes.

But it ultimately doesn't matter, what matters is that it gets translated. I'll happily take the 120mb version.
No.417413
Anonymous
Replies:>>417414
>>417404

OK, I only wanted to list typos, but on a second read through I found a bunch of sentences that sound really odd, so I looked up some of the terms. Apologies if my suggestions betray that I don't speak french, since I don't.

the archive filename is "black and pink" instead of the correct order in the title, "in pink and black"

cover: if you squint, you can still make out some part of the old logo, particularly in the upper right ("rose") and bottom left corners ("noir").

0008.jpg panel 1:
"don't come and don't tell me" <-- "don't come and tell me"

0009.jpg panel 1:
"our truffle dragons finds a desposit" <-- shouldn't this be "our truffle dragons find a deposit"? I don't know for sure what is the grammatically correct way here, I could be wrong.

0010.jpg panel 1:
"blah blahblah" <-- maybe could be "blah blah blah"? it's prettty minor detail, but I feel it maybe paces better?
Also the 2nd bubble has two "blah"s, instead of three.

0011.jpg panel 3:
"...a lesson the the new kid..." <-- typo? should be "...a lesson TO the new kid..."?
panel 5:
"he said that you're..." <-- it is not clear who is the "he" who said that about Melusine. Is this an error?
correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this sentence supposed to mean "It is said / they say that you are a real hotshot!"
last panel:
"My parents, are african hermits" <-- this should be either "My parents, they are...", or "My parents are..." without the comma.
"african hermits" <-- really odd translation for marabouts (a muslim religious teacher), I understand that it's not a common word, I had to look it up too, but the translation is not accurate so I'd maybe leave it as is. The guy is supposed to be a muslim immigrant (oh, wow.).
"we're leaving the countryside" <-- "we had to leave the country"
"faced with your friends" <-- "facing your friends".

0013.jpg panel 3: "the the same respect" instead of "to the same respect"
last panel: is it normal for a wizard to exclaim "Good God"? Considering that the church wants to kill them, I find that strange. I don't suppose there is an alternate translation for "bon sang", or does that exclamation have ties to the church in french as well? "Good God" might be correct, it may be just me finding it strange that it is used by a wizard here.

0016.jpg panel 7 (second to last):
"Winston who came and found me, madam tells us to sit... what has happened?" <-- I think it may be: "Winston comes to pick me up from school, madam tells me to sit... what's going on?"

0018.jpg panel 3:
"We're going to go to" <-- "We will go to", since he is implying to do an action, not stating that it must happen.

panel 4:
"ones to be loved" <-- "loved ones"
"less than 24 hours" <-- "in 24 hours" or "in under 24 hours".

panel 7:
"sterilizing" <-- "sterilization"

panel 8:
"I know who to talk to" <-- "I know just who to ask"

0019.jpg panel 2:
"My family history isn't a secret to her" <-- "My family matters hold no secrets from her"

0023.jpg panel 5: "who would like my questions answered" <-- "who would like to have her questions answered"

0024.jpg panel 5: one speech bubble is missing.
panel 7: "lawyer for" <--- "lawyer of"

0025.jpg last panel:
"he must have a secret passage" <-- "there must be a secret passage"

0029.jpg panel 1:
"takien" <-- typo, "taken"

0033.jpg panel 2:
"you don't need to be outside" <-- "you shouldn't be outside"
panel 4:
"What happens?" <-- "what happened?"

0034.jpg panel 6: This might be just me, but I didn't knew the word "fey" as an alternative to fairy. Could "Fairyland" be a better alternative to "the fey lands", or is it just me?

0039.jpg panel 4: "a bad taste it my mouth" <-- "a bad taste IN my mouth"
panel 8: "diguised" <-- "disguised"

0040.jpg panel 4: one word balloon has wrong colour font

0041.jpg panel 1:
"All our plans, for your father and me, risked being discovered" <-- I don't think word-for-word translation works for this. how about "All our ploys, your fathers and mine, would be known..."

0043.jpg panel 2:
"reurn to world of..." <-- "return to the world of..."

0044.jpg panel 1:
"happd" <-- "happy"
panel 5:
"halp" <-- "help"

0048.jpg: missing the text below the panel, the one that says "end of the first part".

missing the last two pages, but I guess they are not important to include.
No.417414
Anonymous
Replies:>>417417
>>417413
Spot on. And man, there are a lot of typos. Too much time on the chans probably made me reliant on spellcheck.
The whole sentence is a mistake on my part. Il can be "he" but in this case it's "it," and the verb should be "seems" not "said." "It seems you're really smart" is literal, I think a good fit would be "they say you're really smart," to fit the previous sentence.
>is it normal for a wizard to exclaim "Good God"?
"Bon sang" is most often "Damn it," but that doesn't fit the tone of surprise in this case. She does say "bon dieu" later in this book.
I'm going to come back to the French for the African kid. It comment about sterility and impotence makes it look like a "love doctor" joke I just didn't understand the first time reading it. Melusine basically just gets up and walks away.
>missing bubble
Whoops, I have the text box typed, but the layer invisible. "Your mother received this photo yesterday, and I don't know where it came from."
"lawyer for" sound more natural to me but "of" doesn't sound wrong.
"What could happen?" might be better. She recognizes that something happens, and it leads into the fireworks. Maybe "what happens outside?"
>fey vs fairy
Maybe It's too much d&d on my part. "Fée" can mean a lot of things, pixie/fairy/sprite/fey. I'll can change it if you think people won't recognize it.
I half agree, "ploy" sounds too combative imo. I think "lies" or keeping as "plans" works better.
>missing the last two pages, but I guess they are not important to include.
It's just advertising stuff. I'll include it in the final cbr.
>Read these other comics
>Find Melusine in Spirou Magazine

Also I do want to ask if all the pastry translations were ok. The French used gâteau/cupcake/cake and more words for cakes, so I took a few liberties.
No.417415
Anonymous
On second though, "Au pays des fées" rhymes. Not sure it translates. "Fairy area?" "Fey's place?" They sound too weird.
No.417416
Anonymous
Raaaa, I want to help but I don't want to be spoiled.
What are the pages with the cakes?
No.417417
Anonymous
>>417414
> I think a good fit would be "they say you're really smart," to fit the previous sentence.
Does "fortiche" mean "smart"? I looked it up and most translations give it a sarcastic tone, like hotshot or smart aleck or something like that. I'd go with hotshot simply because it would describe Melusine in more ways than just calling her smart, but that may not be an accurate translation.

> It comment about sterility and impotence makes it look like a "love doctor" joke I just didn't understand the first time reading it.
Yeah, the thing the kid says about his dad is all like a big advertisement. Cures all ailments! In under 24 hours! Or you get your money back! Call now and we'll throw in a giant bag of green M&M's for free!

>"lawyer for" sound more natural to me but "of" doesn't sound wrong.
Yeah, on second thought I don't know which one is the one to use here. I'd look it up or ask for someone else to chime in.

>Maybe It's too much d&d on my part. "Fée" can mean a lot of things, pixie/fairy/sprite/fey. I'll can change it if you think people won't recognize it.
I think it's just me not being erudite enough. Others might recognize the word.
But I do think that Fairyland sounds like a place that readers might be more familiar with. And now I'm imagining Gert (from I Hate Fairyland) running into Melusine.

>I half agree, "ploy" sounds too combative imo. I think "lies" or keeping as "plans" works better.
I think "plan" would suggest that there is something more to what they were doing, when in reality they were just pulling a ruse. But yea, "ploy" might be too strong too. "All our lies, your fathers and mine, would be discovered...", maybe this is better?

I don't know about the cupcakes.
No.417418
Anonymous
Replies:>>417419
First translator here.

>Does "fortiche" mean "smart"? I looked it up and most translations give it a sarcastic tone, like hotshot or smart aleck or something like that. I'd go with hotshot simply because it would describe Melusine in more ways than just calling her smart, but that may not be an accurate translation.

"Fortiche" isn't necessarily sarcastic ( I'm guessing Melisande is saying this) , It's a childish/naïve way of saying "strong", in a sense "you're good"
No.417419
Anonymous
>>417418
It's the african immigrant "new kid" who says it (yeah, the book goes there).
No.417420
Anonymous
2nd Anon here.

I finished my proofread of volume 26: https://pastebin.com/DdUdTULq

Regarding marabout, I wonder if it should be left untranslated because it doesn't seem easily translatable; hermit only implies he chooses to live away from others, and monk doesn't seem to fit since he has a son.

The word does appear in English dictionaries although I wouldn't expect the average reader to know it.

Maybe "sage" would work, although it does lose the African denotation that marabout has.
save file
image:152854557900.png(1.05MB , 1188x406 , meluswimsuit.PNG)
Volume 09 to proof read.
https://mega.nz/#!hhoHyJIa!UnBZtxLQEjlUGuD3CrXoidw43LqIWXcA3GjfPoG3WiY
This one needed more work than expected but I'm starting to get a good hang of gimp.

And this means that the first 10 volumes of mélusine are now available in english, yay!
Finally, I'll be on vacation for the next two weeks ( I'm gonna play games and shitpost on /v/ mainly) so don't expect new translations from me during this time. ( things could happen but I make no promises )
No.417422
Anonymous
1st here. Turns out I do have internet the next 2 weeks after all.

Assuming it's the same as #24, I'll probably be done around monday. Give or take a day.
No.417423
Anonymous
>>417421
1st here, I'll take a look at it when I'm done with 26. I'll most likely have it done by the end of the week.

Breaks are important, don't burn yourself out.
No.417424
Anonymous
There a thread on /co/; someone's pointing out the download for volume 24 is dead.
No.417425
Anonymous
>>417421
2nd Anon proofread: https://pastebin.com/EbCebV1A

Got this out quickly in case you want to get the polished version finished before you go on vacation.

Enjoy your time off in any case.
No.417426
Anonymous
I'll also do a proofread tomorrow.
No.417427
Anonymous
Replies:>>417428
1st here.
~15 pages left of 26, I expect to be done today.

Regarding Mathys dad, he seems to be a voodoo priest so "houngan" ought to be the correct choise.
No.417428
Anonymous
>>417427
Wikipedia tells me houngan is associated with Haitian voodoo but that marabout is associated with African Islam.
No.417429
Anonymous
I'd keep it as a marabout since the guy is meant to be an African immigrant, no doubt a jab at the current political climate in Europe.
No.417430
Anonymous
1st here, #26 done.
https://pastebin.com/1kdLrhdu
No.417431
Anonymous
Replies:>>417432
Alright, I've gone through it. Just a couple more things to discuss.
https://pastebin.com/y6ttsS9B
No.417432
Anonymous
>>417431
>0006 last panel
What about "they undersold our best merchandise..."?

>0009 b2
>Maybe change to "sniffing dragons" or "gold-sniffing dragons"?
I disagree, truffle is fine. It may not be a common word, but let the kids learn. I had to look up what coryza means when I first attempted translating these for myself (Melusine frequently says "eczema and coryza" as swearing... I only knew about eczema because I had it.).

>0026
>I changed it, but just curious, why "pillar" over "column"?
Not that guy but pillar is indeed better, it specifically means the tall construct that holds something up, a column is more ambiguous in that it describes the shape itself. Say, a column of army tanks coming your way.

>0033
>"you come back at this hour?" sounds weird.
No, it is in fact fine. "you came back" implies a past action, when he is remarking in a stern worried tone that the kid just now arrived at that hour.
I'd go with "you come back at this hour?". Maybe even "you come home at this hour?" (but I didn't check if they say "come back" or "come home").

>0038
What about "Pink and sugary! This is it!", declaring that they arrived at the place the arab described??

>0044
>an herbal -> a herbal
This confused me on the first try too, but on second thought it sounded right... but you make a fair point, I don't know which one to use. Toss a coin.
No.417433
Anonymous
Replies:>>417434
>>417432
>I don't know which one to use.
It's A herbal. It's only AN before a H if there's a vowel sound. This generally only happens if the H is pronounced by itself. I'm guessing H in french being silently, when in front of vowel, only adds to the confusion.

Examples.
A herbal tea
An HDMI cable (the hdmi letters are pronounced individually, making H sound like it has a vowel in front).
No.417434
Anonymous
Replies:>>417435
>>417432
I'm not sure people would think the column (the shape), given that there's a literal one running away, but I don't object to "pillar"
>0038
>0006
Sounds good to me.

>>417433
>It's only AN before a H if there's a vowel sound.
Right. American English says 'erbal. "An 'erbal"
I swapped it to "a herbal"

https://mega.nz/#!lQhW2Yob!4mua75tCyPShFa2YZ_qJRp2-3C6xkd5pc6XRT2EMWyA
Here's the product so far. If there are no more objections, I'll change the filename later today and this will be the mega link.
No.417435
Anonymous
>>417434
Just skimmed it really fast, looks fine at first glance. No missed bubbles or broken pages.

Melusine 26 - In Pink and Black (Scanlation) ([your nick if you care about that]).cbr
No.417436
Anonymous
>0008
"Underselling" is to sell something at a price below that of a competitor. Isn't the idea that the faeries are GIVING the gold away for nothing in return (because they don't care about commerce)? Isn't that what Ping Ho says on 0031?

>0041
Melusine's mother says "the Fey Lands" but I think you decided on "the Fairy Lands"
No.417437
Anonymous
Replies:>>417438
>0008
I'm unsure. "[ils] donnent sans chercher quoi que ce soit en retour" Is, almost word for word, "[they] give without looking for anything in return." The dwarf says "bradent," And I can't find a source that says it means "to give away" rather than "sell at a low price."
>0041
Good catch
No.417438
Anonymous
Replies:>>417439
>>417437
I'm a bit confused at what's supposed to be going on; the fairies stole gold from the dwarves because it's pretty, but how and why did the gold get from the fairies to the Chinese? Why didn't the fairies just keep it if they think it's pretty?
No.417439
Anonymous
>>417438
I'm guessing the fairies are just acting flippantly with other peoples' things. They took too much, so they gave the rest away.
No.417440
Anonymous
Replies:>>417441
https://mega.nz/#!REpjgSBL!d6Pt0CgYQkO4491GNVxXwZaTC9ApPVeXmQbpqu312wg
Updated, looks like this'll be the final.
No.417441
Anonymous
>>417440
Noice. Niothing seems missing or broken after a quick skim.

I'm starting on #9 now. (1st here).
Replies:>>417443
save file
image:152883497000.png(304kB , 515x243 , hat.PNG)
Giving this a minor rewirte, but I can't guess what's behind melus hat. in the second to last lline. Any ideas?
save file
image:152884542800.jpg(70kB , 636x318 , Hypnosis 018.jpg)
>>417442
Trying to guess from context, maybe "freed"?

Here's the original text (from a shitty raw) if it can be of help
No.417444
Anonymous
Replies:>>417445
"...le Prince en eut la coeur déchiré de chagrin véritable"
Lit. "the Prince had his heart torn/broken with genuine sorrow/grief"
Assuming the word behind the hat is the verb (it ___ the prince's heart), it looks like "teared," which is not a word unless it's referring to eyes watering.
No.417445
Anonymous
Replies:>>417447
>>417444
so "it tore the Prince's heart with true sorrow", then?
No.417446
Anonymous
The prince grabbed her by the shoulders and brought her close to him. "My heart aches for you", he said. Hearing those words, she softly wept

This is were I'm stuck, since sappy romance novels isn't really my forte. I'm open to suggestions about the last line-and-half.
Could it be something like the prince bursting into tears of joy?
No.417447
Anonymous
Replies:>>417448
>>417445
Translate anon here, That's it. "it tore the Prince's heart with true sorrow"

I wrote "teared" tho.
No.417448
Anonymous
>>417447
I'm suspecting the "true sorrow" bit is a french idiom that just means heartbroken. Here's another take.

The prince grabbed her by the shoulders and brought her close to him. "My heart aches for you", he said. Hearing those words, she softly wept and the sight of her tears [broke his heart]/[left him brokenhearted]

I should have #9 notes ready within an hour or two.
No.417449
Anonymous
1st here, #9 proofed.

https://pastebin.com/PAmXyrSV
No.417450
Anonymous
I'm going to start working on another volume over the next couple days, any requests?
No.417451
Anonymous
>>417450
are you the anon who did the early volumes or the one doing the latest ones?
No.417452
Anonymous
>>417450
Assuming you're the guy that started on #24, ideally #25.
Or #23 and just work your way backwards until the two of you catches up.
No.417455
Anonymous
I'm the one who did the later ones, but I can't actually find 25. I'd love to do it if you know where it is, but until then I'll start on 23 then.
save file
image:152993645600.jpg(374kB , 1458x1920 , Melusine_T09-digital-01.jpg)
First translator here.

Just finished Volume 9, thanks again to the proof readers.
https://mega.nz/#!ZkRg3I4Z!q5j6vlckid7ynDn5KaFcGZUXfWjpT9v9898nf8NPVbg

As usual here's some point I want to go back too :

>18
>p2 b2
>[...] -> The prince grabbed her by the shoulders and brought her close to him. "My heart aches for you", he >said. Hearing those words, she softly wept and the sight of her tears [broke his heart]/[left him brokenhearted]
>i'm a bit iffy about the ending

This one is intentionally extra cheesy doesn't really makes sense in French either.

>22
>p8
>above all, above all, -> above all,

She say it two times because she insists, so I wrote the second one bigger.

>39
>p4 b1
she's meant to use a double negative but that reads really awkward, maybe someone in the thread can come up with a better wording

This one doesn't make sense in French either. So I think it's ok to leave it like that. ( unless someone think of something better )

>44
>p2 b2
>text hidden behind melu

Same in the original.

>pg20
>p7
>goose of melusine

It's common in French to call someone a turkey ( meaning she is stupid ) The equivalent word reference gave me was goose/ silly goose so I went with that. if it's really too weird I can change it.

Also, The weird title on the second page is the original, and I don't want to change the font used when Cancrelune dreams because I really like how on point it is compared to the original.

I'll work on volume 11 now.
No.417457
Anonymous
>>417456
1st here, thanks.

>22
In hindsight, that's actually correct. Even though I find it a bit unclear when all the letters are in caps. Had it been "above all, ABOVE ALL, don't laguh" it would be easier to spot but that's not an option for obvious reasons.
Could be reworded as "above all. DO. NOT. LAUGH." if you really want to.

>cancrelune text
Changing that is more of a personal preference, but I doubt I'm the only one that has a hard time reading it.
No.417458
Anonymous
>>417456
Welcome back! Looking forward to volume 11.
No.417459
Anonymous
>>417456
>>pg20
>p7
You changed it to "moron of Melusine" but Melusine still retorts with "bimbo goose sandwich" in the last panel. They don't match.

"Turkey" actually is understood as an insult in English (at least where I'm from) but it's kind of a silly thing to say, which would actually fit well here. Consider using it.
save file
image:153029145200.jpg(74kB , 1024x998 , 1497484895389.jpg)
Melusine #25 raw
https://www42.zippyshare.com/v/3iVLul2Q/file.html

Just in case the anon who asked for it in the win-o isn't the second translator.
No.417461
Anonymous
>>417460
I keep forgetting that I should re-up all the raws in their HD formats.
No.417462
Anonymous
>>417461
That would be nice. Then the remaining ~dozen tomes can get high res translations. And if either of the anons feels like pasting the script of the translated ones into high res raws that would be even better.

Ideally post them on libgen as well
No.417463
Anonymous
>>417460
That wasn't me in the win-o, thanks.
save file
image:153071605600.png(189kB , 300x438 , badmelu.PNG)
Volume 11 to proof read.
https://mega.nz/#!V0wDCaiK!I_woE_IACPTdiOfJDvMjruNe54vmpHnXudCfrwdbbms

Might have more mistakes than usual since I was more tired when working on it. Sorry about that.
No.417465
Anonymous
Replies:>>417466
>>417464
1st here, I'm on it. I expect to be done some time during the weekend.

You might want to hold off on the release a little, on the off chance that >>417461 delivers.
No.417466
Anonymous
>>417465
Yeah, there is no volume 12 HQ on libgen anyways. ( or I didn't find it )
No.417467
Anonymous
1st here.
You certainly weren't wrong when you said there'd probably be more corrections needed than usual. I'm ~halfway done and going to call it for today. Depending on the amount of fixes needed for the second half, I should be done sunday or monday at the latest.

Is doctor notFrankensteins name really supposed to be the german word for potato?
No.417468
Anonymous
Replies:>>417469
>>417467
>Is doctor notFrankensteins name really supposed to be the german word for potato?

I recall it is. Doctor Kartoffel, was it?

quick check confirms it:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kartoffel
No.417469
Anonymous
Replies:>>417470
>>417468
His name is Kartoffeln. It just sounds odd to me since I know what it means.
No.417470
Anonymous
>>417469
It was a bit odd for me as well since I know a bit german, but it's not any more out of place in the comic than Cancer Moon (Cancrelune), Hazel Leaf (prof. Haaselblatt), or Amy the Person (Aymee Döperzonn, the ghost duchess of the castle). But I could name pretty much half the cast.
No.417471
Anonymous
Replies:>>417477
>>417464
2nd proofreader here with my effort: https://pastebin.com/MDhVw5TP
No.417472
Anonymous
>>417470
>Amy
Welll shit, that makes way more sense than waht's in the proofing copy. And now I feel a little miffed because I spent quite some time trying to make sense of it.
No.417473
Anonymous
Replies:>>417475
>>417467
yeah, It's kartoffeln, I'm guessing naming him doctor potato is a joke.

>>417472
Does it mean something in german?,In french, her name sounds like "loved from nobody", 'cause you know, she's a bitch. There is probably something with the count's name but I didn't get it.
>>417470
A "cancre" is a "dunce" her name is duncemoon.
No.417474
Anonymous
>>417472
I could be wrong, Amy is just what it sounds like to me. What is her name supposed to be in german?
No.417475
Anonymous
>>417473
>german
"dö" sounds like "the" when said out loud.
Her personality shouldn't have any importance for the name, just look at Haaselblatt. I'm convinced Amy ThePerson is the right meaning. Not that that should be used as her name, mind you.
No.417476
Anonymous
Replies:>>417477
1st here
melu 11
https://pastebin.com/gzu4P3ja

Reminder to use e and not é when releasing.
No.417477
Anonymous
>>417471
>>417476

Thanks, I'll check it out tomorrow.
No.417478
Anonymous
Done, thanks again for your work, and like usual, few points to talk about

>title
>not too fond of "hexes". to me, a hex is a specifically negative thing, like a curse.
>School of Witchcraft/Sorcery/Magic/Somethingelse could work.

I went with hexes because in the original title the word "maléfice" is specifically negative.

>pg10 p4
>examination's -> examination
>either there's some joke lost in translation here, or "examination" is not the right word. it doesn't really make sense.
There isn't really any hidden meaning here, the exams just take place in a torture room .

>21
>p4 b2
>[...] -> huh? oh, trying to cure her/my aunt. did you need anything?
>diy doesn't make sense alone here

here, she doesn't want to tell the truth to the doctor she tells him literally she is doing some DIY, but I don't know any other ways to say it. "I'm doing some tinkering? fiddling?"

>pg24 note
>is there some kind of joke or a french idiom here? if there is, and it needs explaining, then the note should be moved to the bottom of the page.
if there isn't, i think it should be removed. remember the * as well

It's the traduction of the spell which is in french, It says " in your face", but a bit more vulgar. I made the "*" bigger.

>p8 b1
>wonky translation? "it's a prank" sounds really weird for the situation. "just kidding" would sound a little less >hamfisted but it's still a weird reaction for the situation
>"don't be scared! i'm a wi.. er.. i'll save you!" sounds more natural

The "guy" is scared because he saw the monster mélusine made. Hence why she starts by saying she's a witch, then says it's just a prank prank.

>pg18
p2
>triturate your brain -> triturating your brains
>triturate/triturating is an unusual word I had to look up. If he's supposed to be using an unusual word its fine >but if you want something more recognizable I'd suggest "pulverizing"

>"nails of knowledge"
>as in nails driven into wood? It seems an odd metaphor since triturate means to crush

I changed it to fiddling, and nails to fingernails.

>p2
>"I want you to feel at my home"
>The usual phrase would be "I want you to feel at home", but is there a joke I'm not getting?

That's the joke, it sounds kind but it's not. It's the same as monsieurs telling the doctor "Stay here as long as I'LL like."

>pg24
>p1
>open your grimoire Cauvinulphe page 212 -> open your Cauvinulphe grimoire to page 212
>"Cauvinulphe" is supposed to be the name of a wizard, I suppose?

This one is actually a reference to the french comic agent 212. a comic about french cops. Cauvin being one of the authors.

Thanks again for your help.
No.417479
Anonymous
>>417478
>pg18
>p2
I guess I finally understand the joke; where Haselblaat should be using a metaphor for learning, he uses the image of vigorously scratching the head which is actually connotes confusion and frustration.
No.417480
Anonymous
>>417478
p4
Examination and torture room makes me think it's meant to be something with a physical examination. Maybe use "exam(s)" instead to make it clearer?

p4
"just checking up on my aunt" or something along those lines could work. Just for clarification, does french have it's own DIY acronym or does it mean Do It Yourself in this context as well?

I'd make the asterisk more noticeable (in the proofing copy it looks like it's part of the spell text), move the t/l note to the bottom of the page and change it to "T/L note: Spell says "In Your Face!"

Re: Triturate
I kinda like "perforating your brains with the nails of knowledge". Sounds old-timey and sinister, but ultimately it's your call.
"plastering your brains with the nails of knowledge" could work as well, but I'm a bit iffy about it. I've been trying to come up with a synonym that's makes you think of Pinhead when Haaselblatt mentions the nails.
No.417481
Anonymous
Replies:>>417482
>>417480
>>417478
>21
>p4

I think DIY is fine here. It's a funny, weird way to refer to attempting a magical cure.
No.417482
Anonymous
Replies:>>417484
>>417480
>>417481

No DIY acronym in French, We use the verb "bricoler" It means making/fixing something as an amateur. think "man fixing his radio in the kitchen" or "making a chair himself in a shed in the backyard".

DIY seemed pretty accurate .
No.417483
Anonymous
Replies:>>417484
>>417480

The triturate one is a translation error from my part, the word triturate in french means "grind to a powder" like in english, but in French it also means "handle/manipulate" but in a strong way. It's also kind of an idiom.

Maybe I should go with knead your brain with the fingernails of knowledge?
No.417484
Anonymous
Replies:>>417485
>>417482
>>417483
>diy
"DIY" alone doesn't make sense. DIY [thing you'd normaly hire a professional for] does, like "DIY carpenting".
I'm still partial to "just checking..." since it does make sense and it doesn't outright reveal that adrazelle is sick

>nails
I'd go with "knead your brains with my fingers of knowledge" if you're really adamant about changing it. It doesn't sounds particularly Haaselblatt sinister though.
Fingernails have even less of a connection to knowledge gain than nails have. At least in my language we (used to) have a saying involving writing something on a nail and hammering it into someones skull to make them really understand whatever was written on it, and I'm fairly certain I've seen a similar figure of speech used in english before.
The hard part about using "nails of knowledge" is finding a fitting synonym to put before it.

"I look forward to hammering the nails of knowledge into your feeble/weak minds/brains"
Slight rewrite, but preserves the "nails" bit.
No.417485
Anonymous
Replies:>>417486
>>417484
That does work really well, but it's fingernails, not nails
No.417486
Anonymous
>>417485
Well fuck. I read the proofing as the hammering kind of nails. You could still use it, fiction translations doesn't have to be literal as long as the meaning and/or joke is conveyed. In this case, Haaselblatt being the ominous bastard that he is.
save file
image:153129632200.jpg(705kB , 1163x1600 , Melusine_T11-digital-01.jpg)
Melusine 11 - At the school of hexes
https://mega.nz/#!14gjDSSD!supu9H_Xd2WqZmBmNKkxSHFIx2vDLwJUPcrs3xNUYW4

I'd like to start on volume 12 now, but I didn't find any HQ files on libgen, If an Anon can upload it, it would be great.
No.417488
Anonymous
>>417487
Thanks.

You could just use Grodbeldekks 1100 pix raws as a base for the script. If >>417461 hasn't posted anything by the time you're done, it'll probably never happen.

As long as you keep the gimp files, redoing releases with HQ raws shouldn't be too much of a hassle either. I'm just assuming Gimp works the same way as PS in that regard.
No.417489
Anonymous
Replies:>>417490
>>417487
Just did a quick skim, no broken pages.

t/l note
Any particular reason you kept the "loved from nobody" when ThePerson seems way more plasuble?

p2
in your -> into your
No.417490
Anonymous
Replies:>>417494
>>417489
I'm pretty adamant on the translation of this one. her first name being aymée, which is pronounced nothing like Amy.
There is no doubt this is a joke they were going for.
No.417491
Anonymous
I'll post the new raws this week.
No.417492
Anonymous
I suppose Clarke and/or Gilson had second thoughts with the Doctor and his little entourage about adding so many new characters? I won't miss Nestor but I think I will miss Rosaria's chest, even in a series with this lead character.
No.417493
Anonymous
Replies:>>417496
>>417487
pg06
p5
wants -> want OR wish

This wasn't fixed from the first draft.

pg12
p8
>static
I'm going to to have to disagree with the 1st proofreader; "crackling" is a much better choice as it makes a pun; crackling static on a phone vs. a crackling fire (in hell).

pg24
p1
open your Cauvinulphe grimoire page 212 -> open your Cauvinulphe grimoire to page 212
No.417494
Anonymous
Replies:>>417495
>>417490
I mentioned Amy for Aymée because it is the English version for the French surname, like Joe or John for the French Jean. As far as I know, anyway (I could be wrong). "ThePerson" sounds like a straight up pun to me. Asterix has many puns like that too, like the british chief was called Zebigbos (The Big Boss).

What is the german phrase that you think the name is a pun on? You could be right about it and I could be wrong.
No.417495
Anonymous
Replies:>>417496
>>417494
I dunno, some anon thought It made more sense since she was called Amy, but I have no idea what the joke is in German
The pun makes sense in French, I'm absolutely certain of that.
No.417496
Anonymous
>>417495
1st here
I still think it's ThePerson that's the joke, since Gilson has shown he doesn't mind using non-french for shit n' giggles (Haaselblatt and Kartoffeln), but we'll have to agree to disagree.

"dö" is not german per se, but it's probably part of some words. The thing is that it sounds like "the" when said out loud and "perzonn" is really just another way of writing "person".

But, as previously stated, it's ultimately your call since you're the one putting actual work into this. The rest of us are just here to be helpful.

>>417493
>crackling
Good catch.
No.417497
Anonymous
Hey, I've been sitting on this too long. 23
https://mega.nz/#!Id4gAC6C!LXUb2b0fj9XxV2ez02V1HWXt0XWfBB0hU_iu3PmaLpY
https://pastebin.com/9U837TWH
Original for reference.
https://mega.nz/#!UdpCTKpK!TZ09NSuXJApvf0ofohBE09DePW1SeY1sMitPD0ZNpEU
I'd also specifically like feedback on any non-bubble text (signs, etc.), just to make sure it looks alright.
No.417498
Anonymous
>>417497
1st here
On it. I will most likely be done by next weekend.
No.417499
Anonymous
>>417497
2nd finished my go on volume 23: https://pastebin.com/4iCry3ri

I'm going to have limited access to internet next week so I might not be able to work on anything then.
No.417500
Anonymous
1st here
Minor headsup regarding #23. Had more irl stuff this week than expected, so a bit behind. I'll try to get it done today, but worst case I'll be done tuesday.
No.417501
Anonymous
>>417497
melu 23
https://pastebin.com/LvqtMrxr

I prefer the title with Versus

p29
The butt of the joke here is that the dwarf drew all the students on the priests glasses, so the priest thinks they're there while he's preaching.

Unrelated drivel:
I prefer Krapellas old outfit, but a corset can be nice too.
No.417503
Anonymous
2nd here; my internet access is back to normal now.
No.417504
Anonymous
Can somebody reupload vol 6? The links are dead.
No.417505
Anonymous
Alright I looked over the proof-readings and made changes, hope I didn't miss anything. Here's an update and some comments.
https://mega.nz/#!JVwzDSxL!z4OM-U1YxBeIQ5hkTXXwNumMMfNgxGocmWqvdGHmLx4
https://pastebin.com/3enbnJZ3
>417504
https://mega.nz/#!kcpnlYpI!noDlEv8h_oFyVJpTJ8Pb8k8Ef8gWeOikYsNkZG_SITk
is the latest version I have.

Sorry it's taking a while, I'm going through a move and other irl stuff. I'm going to be busy almost all this week too, then after that I'll start on 25 since I skipped it before.
No.417506
Anonymous
>>417505
1st here

Few options here.
Replace Bluebeard with an equivalent (urban) legend, which sounds like work.
No change, but add a t/l note at the bottom, explainng what it's about.
No change, fuck you and learn some culture.

I'm leaning towards 2 or 3.

The way I read it, the statues are meant to grade their work because the teacher is lazy. "feedback/tips" doesn't really imply that.
"we will look at that" "we will grade/correct that" could work.
Also, center text.

p5 b4
you pasted both my suggestions, you scamp.
[i'd...salami] -> i'd rather eat some salami
re-center text

p2
the punish -> then punish

I like the suggested changes for 24, they sound more natural.

>sorry
No sweat. Hopefully you're both doing this for fun so there's no rush.
save file
image:153293946000.png(189kB , 314x319 , melu12.PNG)
Mélusine volume 12 to proofread.

https://mega.nz/#!U0wx3IYb!33Wppcl6Sb9rTB2Jb2sEjz9R9q8nxqLAMLhPYQYlYv4

And here's volume 06 for the Anon above.
https://mega.nz/#!I4BQzZ6L!AvrQ66CcvGhHQTCdqpHcQg7zgaN7hOd1q9QNiwZZPTs
No.417508
Anonymous
>>417507
1st here
I'm on it. On vacation currently, so I expect to be done in a couple days, instead of the usual week.
No.417509
Anonymous
2nd here: there wasn't a whole lot I could find to comment on so I'm already done: https://pastebin.com/XgFCXBSs
No.417510
Anonymous
>>417507
1st here
12 done.
https://pastebin.com/BBXxvu0r

This may be on my end, but some of the pages seems like they have pixelated text in some bubbles. It's only for the bubbles that have fontsize one or two ticks lower than your standard setting.
No.417511
Anonymous
Replies:>>417512
Almost done, thanks again for your work, and as usual, few things to figure out.

Sadly I can't do anything about the font being pixelated, it's indeed because of the font size and in the page about cooking, melu and Krapella are whispering, hence the size.

>15
>p2
>the oldest copy -> a first edition
>necronomikon -> necronomicon

the K is on purpose. not sure if there's a joke though.

>31
>p6 b2
>it sounds a little wonky. i suspect there's a french idiom or reference to something here

It's a joke, it's only supernatural instead of "it's only natural" ...CUZ SHE A GHOST!

>34
>p3
>repulwhatever -> ???
>is there a lost-in-translation joke in the name?

Repulsive + urticaria. It's made up.

>36
>p3 b1
>a set animal -> ???
>i could see something like "vicious" fit, given context

The meaning here is that the topic is forced on her, she has to research this particular animal. I didn't know how to put it in english.

>p7 b2
>is there a joke with "elephantine" ?

No, It had a direct translation so I went with it.

>b3
>[...] -> or use the stairs, but your legs are stiff.
<the dialogue feels stiff, but i can't think of something better. i assume "they" refers to his legs

Actually, the word I was looking for is "steep" the stairs are steep.
I went with " you can either fly, but it's raining... ...or use the stairs, but they are a bit steep!

>p2 b2
>i assume "senor" is on purpose? otherwise "herr" would be fitting as the german equivalent

señor is on purpose, but this font doesn't have the tilde.

I like how Kartoffeln ends up speaking half german by the end of the book. i'm gonna miss him if he doesn't come back.
No.417512
Anonymous
Replies:>>417513
>>417511
13 p1
Crud, I just rechecked my notes and realized I made a spelling error. If you pasted directly from the notes then
wou -> you

I would go with the [dangerous animal] instead, because that's not really something you can convey with that little room. A small amount of artistic license is ok for fiction, as long as the meaning/joke is properly conveyed.
"those beasts are vicious" or something like that.

I'm not a particular fan of "elephantine", it just sounds weird and there's apparently no joke relying on it. I think Monstrous, Gargantuan, Humonguous, etc. would sound better.

That makes more sense.
b2
[...] -> you can either fly, but it's raining...
b3
[...] -> or you can use the steep stairs
b3 alternative
[...] -> or you can use the stairs, but they're steep
Not a fan of the alternative, because using "but" several times in what is technically a single sentence is bad writing.

>senor
I get the joke, I was just puzzled by Melusine suddenly using spanish. It just seems more logical to me if she had used the german "herr".
No.417513
Anonymous
>>417512
>I was just puzzled by Melusine suddenly using spanish. It just seems more logical to me if she had used the german "herr".
I think that's part of the joke; she uses a foreign form of address for the foreign doctor, but the WRONG one. Especially silly given how close Germany is to Belgium and how much further away Spain ins.
Replies:>>417515
save file
image:153354155000.jpg(479kB , 1162x1600 , Melusine_T12-digital-01.jpg)
Melusine Volume 12 Beauty and the beast.
https://mega.nz/#!M54FmJBQ!5yb6qaUKdQfU6UliTCmk6MVeEjCLAifzIzR8ertzNr4

I'm going on a little vacation now, i'll start Volume 13 when I come back.
No.417515
Anonymous
>>417514
Thanks.
Just gave it a quick skim. No broken pages.
No.417516
Anonymous
I just wanted to say thanks a lot for your hard work translating these comcis.
No.417517
Anonymous
Replies:>>417518
Rejoice.
If either of you translators wants to make HD versions of the tomes already done then please let us know in advance, so we can give the current release a final check. Might as well get shit as close to perfect as we can in the first release.

Melusine T01 - Sortileges (1995) (2 covers) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www113.zippyshare.com/v/YUZ3g7Ft/file.html
Melusine T02 - Le bal des vampires (1996) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www113.zippyshare.com/v/93jl2HJA/file.html
Melusine T03 - Inferno (1996) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www113.zippyshare.com/v/Apo9yEBl/file.html
Melusine T04 - Histoires a lire au coin du feu (1997) (2 covers) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www113.zippyshare.com/v/tPJXG59O/file.html
Melusine T05 - Philtres d'amour (1998) (2 covers) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www113.zippyshare.com/v/GggDyZhR/file.html
Melusine T06 - Farfadets et korrigans (1999) (2 covers) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www113.zippyshare.com/v/Kw03DpaH/file.html
Melusine T07 - Hocus pocus (2000) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www113.zippyshare.com/v/C0s4Etch/file.html
Melusine T08 - Halloween (2000) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www113.zippyshare.com/v/WYAtym9b/file.html
Melusine T09 - Hypnosis (2001) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www113.zippyshare.com/v/rnc9CaBi/file.html
Melusine T10 - Contes de la pleine lune (2002) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www113.zippyshare.com/v/zuhiG7S3/file.html
Melusine T11 - a l'ecole des Malefices (2003) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www113.zippyshare.com/v/xtUrLSx4/file.html
Melusine T12 - La Belle et la Bete (2004) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www113.zippyshare.com/v/PrCuadow/file.html
Melusine T13 - Superstitions (2005) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www113.zippyshare.com/v/L745FfZ7/file.html
Melusine T14 - La cuisine du Diable (2006) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www113.zippyshare.com/v/XzFTClX6/file.html
Melusine T15 - L'Apprentie Sorciere (2007) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www113.zippyshare.com/v/cAlJ88rU/file.html
Melusine T16 - Ballet enchantee (2008) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www113.zippyshare.com/v/Mz6V4URB/file.html
Melusine T17 - Sang pour sang (2009) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www113.zippyshare.com/v/txteaamU/file.html
Melusine T18 - Malediction! (2010) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www113.zippyshare.com/v/10gEeWd5/file.html
Melusine T19 - L'elixir de jouvence (2011) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www113.zippyshare.com/v/qCZfDudC/file.html
Melusine T20 - Envoutement (2012) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www113.zippyshare.com/v/zHnPsOWp/file.html
Melusine T21 - Le Tournoi de magie (2013) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www113.zippyshare.com/v/WWGJo8zS/file.html
Melusine T22 - Cancrelune (2014) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www113.zippyshare.com/v/U3Cj6Lty/file.html
Melusine T23 - Fees contre sorciers (2015) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www113.zippyshare.com/v/UyGyJmAa/file.html
Melusine T24 - La ville fantome (2016) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www113.zippyshare.com/v/mkVIk6e3/file.html
Melusine T25 - L'annee du dragon (2017) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www113.zippyshare.com/v/dhUTCAQ6/file.html
Melusine T26 - En rose et noir (2018) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www113.zippyshare.com/v/weqAF43R/file.html
No.417518
Anonymous
Hey guys, I'm back. Working on Volume 13 now.

>>417517
dude, thank you so much, It's gonna be so much better.
No.417519
Anonymous
Replies:>>417520
>>417518
Will you bother redoing the existing volumes for the HD rips, or is that too much to ask for?

I'd recommend doing at least book 11 and 12, since the old raws for those were very small.
No.417520
Anonymous
>>417519
I'll probably go over them once all the untranslated volumes will be done.
save file
image:153506739200.jpg(111kB , 724x984 , mel27_cv.jpg)
oh boy.
No.417522
Anonymous
damn her waist got thinner.
No.417524
Anonymous
>>417518
Welcome back; I'm looking forward to vol. 13.
save file
image:153591758100.png(903kB , 1280x1743 , tumblr_peg11tUZoW1r7qtjvo1_1280.png)
Some fresh Melusine fanart: http://aeolus06.tumblr.com/post/177666304609/mels-night-flight-melusine-goes-for-a-little
No.417527
Anonymous
Replies:>>417529
Hey guys. just a heads up, I'm still working on the translation, I just happen to have a lot of work at the moment. ( and volume 13 isn't really good tbh.)

it's still coming.
No.417528
Anonymous
willilng to wait as long as it takes man.
thanks for working on it for us!
No.417529
Anonymous
>>417527
I've been waiting for translations for 11+ years, since someone first mentioned her on 7chan. I don't mind waiting a little more.
save file
image:153693380000.png(130kB , 295x267 , melu13pr.PNG)
Here's volume 13 to proof read.

https://mega.nz/#!FlRBxKCK!De5hD7sATkhzfSyKViUrpEtpNgzOs53F0iFd-Z1nKMw

Page 24 made no fucking sense to me.
No.417531
Anonymous
>>417530
1st here, I'm on it.
Replies:>>417533
save file
image:153713555800.png(37kB , 1705x421 , input.PNG)
1st here, halfway done.

I got some input regarding page 24.
No.417533
Anonymous
2nd here done my pass-through: https://pastebin.com/SZGymXi3

>>417532
>the signal when prey is spotted
In English that would be Tally-ho, which Wikipedia tells me is derived from the French taïaut.
No.417534
Anonymous
Replies:>>417535
>>417530
I finally got page 24; the wolves are howling because they sat on the snow and it's cold, just as Cancrelune does in the next-to-last panel.
No.417535
Anonymous
>>417534
Holy shit you're right. I somehow missed the panel where Cancrelune was howling.
I get it now.
No.417536
Anonymous
1st here
https://pastebin.com/b1mDpvBP

If anyone can come up with a good replacement for the second fart noise on p37 (pata ponff) it would be neat.

Other translator are you still with us? It's been almost 2 months since #23 was proofed.
I hope you saved my notes because I don't have them anymore and I always set my pastes to expire after a month.
Replies:>>417538
save file
image:153735921200.jpg(307kB , 1920x2529 , Melusine_T13-digital-01.jpg)
M2lusine Volume 13 Superstitions is done.

https://mega.nz/#!xwQ1jSyI!i9CiXA6oHipS8n1H2bD4aShdrmCDhGgwvSOpyU-TQys

Thanks again to the two proof readers for their input. As usual, a few things to point out :

>01+02 title
>"superstiotions" is plural in english, so the title ought to be "superstition"
The title is actually plural in French too.

>p3
>20/20 sounds weird, is that how grades are done in french?
Yes, Scores are out of ten or out of twenty in France. I switched to to score here tho.

>p3 b2
>[you...ok] -> you try them on and give them back, ok?
There was a "joke" here where all the verbs rhymed, obviously it was lost in translation, but i'm not sure about changing it all.

>p7 b1
>[...] -> never in my three hundred year career have i seen such a crap shoot not fond of "crap shoot" but i can't think of a better wording.
He's literally talking about a nest of crabs here. he's insulting the students.

>26
>t/l note
>pulverulentes editions -> pustulent edition
>i'm guessing it's just [something] Edition, like Deluxe, Collectors, etc. unless there's some wordplay and >pulverulentes sounds like something else in french
Oh shit, I thought it was a made up word but it's not. it translate by "powdered"

>
>p7
>god of war -> god of mischief/strife
I knew it was unaccurate but I didn't know If I should correct it. I did in the end.

Welp, That's it, next stop, Volume 14.
No.417538
Anonymous
>>417537
Thanks.
Did a quick skim, here's some minor (F) things and some thoughts.

p9
Krapellas speech sounds pretty stilted and with the rhyming being lost in translation anyway, I like my suggestion better.

p12
I'm fairly certain the crab nest idiom is called something else in english (rats nest?), but I have no idea what to google to find out what it is.

p24
Still barely makes sense, I really think you should've used my suggestion. At least that somewhat explains the joke.
I'll agree with 2nd though, it is a pretty crummy joke. An extra panel to flesh it out could've made it work way better.

p26 t/l note
To keep up with the title of Mandraghors book, I think you should change "powdered" to "pulverized".
powdered editions -> pulverized edition

b4 p1
with two t -> with two t's (alternatively "with a double t")

p9 sign
methodsto -> methods to

p37
No (F), just wanted to say good job on pata ponff.
No.417547
Anonymous
Replies:>>417549
One month with no posts. I hope this project hasn't run dry!
No.417548
Anonymous
I'm just grateful for what we got to be honest. I gave up on new translations years ago but this thread added a lot of translations I didn't think I would ever get to read.
No.417549
Anonymous
>>417547
I mailed the translator and got no response.

I think this is it, folks. Can someone please collect links for the volumes we did get translations for? Just in case we missed any.
Replies:>>417553
Does anyone know where to find volume 25?
No.417553
Anonymous
>>417552
Reuploaded the old links:

Melusine T01 - Sortileges (1995) (2 covers) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www25.zippyshare.com/v/WQkU2WMH/file.html
Melusine T02 - Le bal des vampires (1996) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www25.zippyshare.com/v/NLWzkcib/file.html
Melusine T03 - Inferno (1996) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www25.zippyshare.com/v/6M6z7Pss/file.html
Melusine T04 - Histoires a lire au coin du feu (1997) (2 covers) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www25.zippyshare.com/v/DpCAcp6b/file.html
Melusine T05 - Philtres d'amour (1998) (2 covers) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www25.zippyshare.com/v/Eig5LqtZ/file.html
Melusine T06 - Farfadets et korrigans (1999) (2 covers) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www25.zippyshare.com/v/DtS33g4u/file.html
Melusine T07 - Hocus pocus (2000) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www25.zippyshare.com/v/nbZw47zQ/file.html
Melusine T08 - Halloween (2000) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www25.zippyshare.com/v/sFCRabgj/file.html
Melusine T09 - Hypnosis (2001) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www25.zippyshare.com/v/WoVdlUez/file.html
Melusine T10 - Contes de la pleine lune (2002) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www25.zippyshare.com/v/QLgTIpkM/file.html
Melusine T11 - a l'ecole des Malefices (2003) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www25.zippyshare.com/v/2sl7D4iu/file.html
Melusine T12 - La Belle et la Bete (2004) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www25.zippyshare.com/v/5se0PEeo/file.html
Melusine T13 - Superstitions (2005) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www25.zippyshare.com/v/5AuOdNiY/file.html
Melusine T14 - La cuisine du Diable (2006) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www25.zippyshare.com/v/bFkCu5O9/file.html
Melusine T15 - L'Apprentie Sorciere (2007) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www25.zippyshare.com/v/WoDBrEmh/file.html
Melusine T16 - Ballet enchantee (2008) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www25.zippyshare.com/v/k8UZpN9Z/file.html
https://www25.zippyshare.com/v/dl9fNdJV/file.html
https://www25.zippyshare.com/v/AIgid16t/file.html
Melusine T19 - L'elixir de jouvence (2011) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www25.zippyshare.com/v/dcpCQOKZ/file.html
https://www25.zippyshare.com/v/jcJ0AUe0/file.html
Melusine T21 - Le Tournoi de magie (2013) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www25.zippyshare.com/v/k3vhlaYH/file.html
https://www25.zippyshare.com/v/3DqRJR13/file.html
Melusine T23 - Fees contre sorciers (2015) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www25.zippyshare.com/v/46KjfV7p/file.html
Melusine T24 - La ville fantome (2016) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www25.zippyshare.com/v/zfxulEv3/file.html
https://www25.zippyshare.com/v/nvfvvcfH/file.html
Melusine T26 - En rose et noir (2018) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).rar
https://www25.zippyshare.com/v/JqCWYP2P/file.html
No.417555
Anonymous
Hey guys, I'm back. Sorry I disappeared like that, I got myself pulled into mobile games again and well, they take a lot of time...

I don't know who's still here, but I'll keep releasing the non proofread volumes here.
Best news I heard in a while. I'll keep doing proofreads if you post them.
No.417557
Anonymous
>>417555
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

I know that hole you fell into very well myself.
The stuff in here is good enough that most interested parties will check in everyone know and then so I am sure it will flare up again.
No.417558
Anonymous
Awesome! I'm glad the project isn't dead. I look forward to the future updates.
No.417559
Anonymous
Replies:>>417560
>>417555
1st here, standing by.
No.417560
Anonymous
>>417555
2nd proofreader here.

Welcome back! I hope to be able to help with some more volumes.

>>417559
Green leader standing by.
No.417610
Anonymous
*tap tap tap*
is this still on?
No.417616
Anonymous
Yep
No.417618
Anonymous
Replies:>>417619
He'sa beck... he'sa gone...
No.417619
Anonymous
>>417618
Things take time. Plus, he announced his return at the start of December and ironically it's only NEETs and underage b& still in school that have sparetime during all the christmas bullshit. If nothing has happened by the end of Jauary I'd say it's safe to assume he's either fallen back into gaymen or it was someone else who thought he was le ebin troll.
No.417620
Anonymous
It's coming this weeks guy. Probably won't have time to finish today but tomorrow or Friday for sure.
save file
image:154659527500.png(65kB , 215x166 , mélu14.PNG)
Here's Mélusine volume 14 The Devil's cooking.

https://mega.nz/#!RsY2zYYD!iAz8v2niLAWMqGsVQLxBTQ4b8vj1SjhOBb8koUctNyk
No.417622
Anonymous
very cool, thank you
No.417623
Anonymous
>>417621
Concerning the "to proofread": I noticed no mistakes or misspells.
Everything sounded decently worded as well.
Though I was JUST reading it...
No.417624
Anonymous
pg 13 panel 2: shouldn't Cancrelune say "mixing a potion WITHOUT my cauldron exploding"?

The front cover doesn't have the title translated, I don't know if that's intentional or not (I understand if it's difficult to 'shop it out and you left it on purpose). Maybe the credits page could have the writer/artist/colours text translated.

I tried paying attention to any mistakes, but really couldn't find any beyond these. Perhaps the lettering could be a bit different to fill the bubbles more evenly, but from memory the original book is like that too, so it's not a big deal at all.

Oh, and there's a lot of food names in this which are left untranslated, and many I don't recognize, but I chalk that up to my general ignorance towards cooking. I do know that a lot of food names are presented in French even in English speaking countries, so I'm thinking this was intentional.

Outstanding job!
No.417625
Anonymous
Replies:>>417626
>>417621
Nice!

2nd proofreader's notes here: https://pastebin.com/56X7Qg9q
No.417626
Anonymous
Replies:>>417627
>>417625
You don't need to use pastebin, you can just copy the text here. The post character limits are big enough that it shouldn't be an issue.
No.417627
Anonymous
>>417626
If you say so:

v14
pg03
p3
Can't say I understand the Rimbaut/Baudelaire joke

pg04
p1
dragons -> dragon's

>macerate
For something more immediately recognizable you might want to use "soak", although this word may work BECAUSE it's unusual since this is a description of a magical process

p2
dragons -> dragon's

pg05
p8
precise motion control -> precise control of motion OR precise motor control
"motor control" would indicate control of one's body while "control of motion" would be more general

pg10
>"croute" crust/scabs pun
Tried to come up with an English-language pun; I think "battered chicken" with "Sir, you're a bit battered" works pretty well.

batter: to coat with a mixture (as of flour and egg) for frying
batter: to beat with successive blows so as to bruise, shatter, or demolish

pg12
p3
>headteacher
might want to use the term "headmaster" here. Can't remember if this has come up before.

pg13
p2
with my cauldron exploding -> without my cauldron exploding

pg17
p3
witch black soap -> with black soap

pg18
instructive -> educational
If I take it rightly that Melusine is complaining that she won't learn anything by peeling potatoes

pg20-23
These pages do not appear in the file you've provided

pg24
p9
those powers -> these powers

pg26
p4
>jugged
had to look this up; it apparently means to cook an entire animal; Cancrelune doesn't seem to have an entire hind in that pan! I consulted a raw and an alternate translation of "civet" seems to be "stew", although that big chunk of meat in a pan also doesn't resemble a stew, unless she's cooking it in preparation for it being added to a stew.

Regardless, maybe "stewed hind" would be OK.

>crunchies of vegetables
sounds a little odd. Maybe "crunchy vegetables" instead?

pg26
p5
faggot -> bristles

p7
a new faggot -> new bristles

pg35
p3
state -> condition
in the context of a person's health, condition is the word to use

pg37
p7
car... -> caref...
if she's saying "careful" but getting cut off, it's more clear like this

pg41
p7
maniac -> fussy

pg43
p1
cooking -> cuisine
also an English word

p2
rejoyce -> rejoice

p7
living pigeons -> live pigeons
No.417628
Anonymous
>>417621
1st here.
Give me a couple days. Aiming to be done monday.
No.417630
Anonymous
1st here.
I'm done, but as 2nd pointed out there's a couple missing pages so I'll wait with posting until that's sorted out.

I think "infernal cuisine" would make for a better title. If you decide to go with that, then remember to change it on 43 as welll.

Also, reminder to use e and not é in the filename.
No.417631
Anonymous
Thanks for your work. here's the volume with the corrections added.
https://mega.nz/#!J9RAzKpZ!NzsEs9wbA8eGiMWN62ILaQXcp6vaoHSE14jE35J26yQ

The missing pages are back. I still don't understand how 4 pages disappeared. I must've forgot to export them.

>pg03
>p3
>Can't say I understand the Rimbaut/Baudelaire joke
I was too much of a brainlet to get it in French either.

I didn't translate the cover on this one because I just don't have the knowledge to do it properly.
Also I went with Devil's cuisine.
No.417632
Anonymous
thank you so much for T14. I love this book
No.417633
Anonymous
>>417631

I'll continue posting notes here instead of paste bin if that's convenient.

>I was too much of a brainlet to get it in French either.
The gag appears to be that his names and the "opposite" name he gives are made from the poets Charles Baudelaire and Arthur Rimbaud, although I don't know why the character's name is spelt with a "t" in that case.

pg10
Are you able to implement the "battered chicken" joke with the writing on the blackboard? The blackboard and Cancrelune's line form a pair and one doesn't work without the other.

pg22
p4
>disgorged
I did a little research and in a culinary context it seems the original French degorge might still be used with an Anglicized past-tense "degorged". I saw one instance of the term "sweating" as well in my brief search so "sweated" is an alternative.

steam cooked -> steamed
in this context "steamed" implies "cooked with steam"

Otherwise I'm finished with this volume. Good work!
save file
image:154697943058.png(2.97MB , 1920x2644 , melu14.png)
>>417631
>I didn't translate the cover on this one because I just don't have the knowledge to do it properly.
You can use this edit I just made. I'm no Photoshop expert and the flaws can be seen upon closer inspection, but I think it may do the trick when the English text is slapped over it.
No.417635
Anonymous
1st here
I'd rather use pastebin, to avoid clogging up the thread with walls of text, but c'est la vie.

No comment on the eggplant thing since 2nd already said what I'd have said.

melu 14

title
you managed to edit it for some of the previous tomes, would be neat if you can do it here too

p3 b1
i assume there's some joke here with rimbaut and baudelaire but i have no idea what it's about. given context i'm guessing those two guys are famous chefs and the teacher is a parody of another chef

p5
if your -> your
it's because -> because

p6
student -> students

p1 b1
hair split in four must -> hair, split in four, must
i normally ignore comma errors, but sometimes they matter too much

macerate -> soak (marinade)
"macerate" is fairly uncommon

decoction -> concoction

p4
[...] -> ... add some butter. Once melted i add red wine, garlic and sugar
it doesn't make sense the other way around

p5
melt -> dissolve
same meaning but "melt" is normally used for solids

p1 b1
minor gripe, but i'm not a fan of using dashes for emphasis. bolding/bigger size or another font for that word would probably look better

p6 b1
figures -> hoops

p8 b2
mylord -> my lord

p1
grind -> grate
guessing, but i've never heard about grinding onions

i assume the spelling errors are intentional here, since it's two rednecks

p7 b1
i'm a -> i am a
for emphasis. i AM vs. i'm

t/l note
i don't get it, specifically the "scabs in crust" bit

p5 b1
classes -> class

p3
pupils -> students

p2 b1
with -> without

p3
witch black -> with black
slippy -> slippery

p3
[...] -> at least it's great flight training

p5 b1
form -> forms

p7
i don't really see why madame would be angry about that, so i suspect there's a joke here that got lost in translation. if she had been mad about monsieur shirking his duties or something like that it would've made more sense

p3
to have -> that gives

p5
obtain -> get

p7
minute -> minutes

p2
troubles -> trouble

p3
the class, like usual -> my class, as usual

p7 b1
pause -> break!
it's not wrong per se, but noone uses pause like that

b2
discourteous -> being rude

p2
bone -> debone

p5
crunchies of vegetables -> sauteed vegetables (?)
if memory serves, sautee is the french version of al dente

p5
faggot -> bristle

p7
faggot -> bristle

p9
[...] -> class dismissed
it fits better with the "just as planned" attitude

p3 b3
eat -> eaten

p4
this thing -> that thing

p2
just my luck -> how lucky
"just my luck" is usually used in a negative context

p4 b2
i'm guessing adrazelle is going for an "irrelevant nonsense i don't care about" comment, but it's not really clear

p5
decoction -> concoction

p7
car -> care...
need the "e" if it's going to sound like half a "careful"

p1
hair of cutiemini -> hairs from a cutiemini

p2 b1
been victim -> been the victim

p7
maniac -> manic

p2 b1
was victim -> was the victim

p8 b4
bring -> get
into -> in

p2
sorcerers -> sorcerors
rejoyce -> rejoice

p7 b3
living -> live

p2
[do...hookazaar] -> do you know what a hookazaar is

p6
prefered -> preferred
No.417636
Anonymous
Replies:>>417637
>>417634
>ZOSO

ahaha holy shit how did I miss that.
Replies:>>417638
save file
image:154703528433.jpg(790kB , 1920x2644 , Melusine_T14-digital-01.jpg)
here's Melusine Volume 14, The Devil's cuisine. Thanks again to the proof readers for their job and to the anon who shopped the cover.

>>417636
?

>>417634
Thanks A LOT! This is great!

>p4
>[...] -> ... add some butter. Once melted i add red wine, garlic and sugar
>it doesn't make sense the other way around

"Melt" here is a actually cooking term. it means slowly cook with fat. I don't know if it's used in english too though.

>12
>p3
>pupils -> students

I kept pupils because the writer used an unusual word in French too.

>p5
>crunchies of vegetables -> sauteed vegetables (?)
>if memory serves, sautee is the french version of al dente

In this case It's actually like a crunchy little disc made of vegetables. I went back and kept the term "croquant" in the end.

>44
>p2
>[do...hookazaar] -> do you know what a hookazaar is

I have no clue, maybe there's joke but I don't get it.

I'll start working on Volume 15 soon, it has a loli in it.
No.417638
Anonymous
Replies:>>417639
>>417637
You forgot the link to the finish version!

>I'll start working on Volume 15 soon, it has a loli in it.
oh ho....
No.417639
Anonymous
Replies:>>417640
>>417638
Silly me!

he it is, Melusine Volume 14 The Devil's cuisine.
https://mega.nz/#!F0AwlSqK!hKvimAtSeWQn4Tngudd1Rgt-xEe15KbcTNxezbEilo4
No.417640
Anonymous
>>417639
1st here

Gave it a quick skim, everything appears to be in order.

Regarding hookazaar on 44, you misunderstood. What you wrote is "do you know what is (what's) a hookazaar", the correct way would be "do you know what a hookazaar is". Context still makes it understandable though.
No.417641
Anonymous
I realized there are now only ten volumes left to translate.
No.417642
Anonymous
which is amazing when you consider how long this series languished untranslated. so glad it got picked up by anon
No.417643
Anonymous
Funny thing, when interest in the series was first raised back in 2006/7 or so (on 7chan, since 4chan did not yet have a /co/ board), Vol 15 was the latest book. And even then the poster made it a point that it features a loli niece.

We have come full circle.
No.417644
Anonymous
1st here.

Just a headsup, I might not have internet next week (week 4).
Replies:>>417652
save file
image:154944672854.png(179kB , 209x385 , Malicella.PNG)
This is your trashy loli for Volume 15
No.417652
Anonymous
>>417651
What a naughty girl.
save file
image:155057985068.png(110kB , 249x198 , 15.PNG)
hey guys, here's Volume 15 to proof read.

https://mega.nz/#!k95H1YDZ!FFVFXHnW8O4EvF2079lJdpsQTrGhXbDwJSBXXodykJs
No.417657
Anonymous
SWEET!
No.417658
Anonymous
Replies:>>417659
>>417656
Do you have a preference as far as using pastebin or posting comments directly into the thread?
No.417659
Anonymous
>>417658
Just post them here man, it's what this place is FOR.
No.417660
Anonymous
Replies:>>417663
p13 panel 4 (or 3?) - Shouldn't it say "you have some black on your face" instead of "... on the face"?
p15 panel 2/3 - Lesson is suspended -> shouldn't it be "Class is suspended"?
p19 panel 2/3 - practising -> practicing.
p22 panel 7 - teletransfert -> teletransfer, or maybe teletransport?
p31 panel 4 - "canalizing", I suppose it is a real word but perhaps "channeling" would be a better choice?
p31 panel 7 - diverses -> diverse
p33 panel 1 - "cyclop" -> cyclops (cyclops is the singular form, the plural form is cyclopses)
p44 panel 6 - "because am a ghost" -> "because I am a ghost", or "I'm a ghost".
p45 panel 6 - "wight" -> "weight"
save file
image:155064290509.jpg(160kB , 682x689 , 3f28e6de049b5a9a29c8c4c94b44695eeaa9bb94.jpg)
New fanart
save file
image:155065244374.png(518kB , 483x567 , melewdsine.PNG)
Based Joel gave of lots of Lewd mélusines some times ago.
No.417663
Anonymous
>>417660
>p15 panel 2/3 - Lesson is suspended -> shouldn't it be "Class is suspended"?
Not translate anon here, but this is a normal British usage which has been used some times before so I think it's fine.
No.417664
Anonymous
>>417656
Second proofreader done my read-through

pg 07
p5
her -> hey

pg 12
p5
the black magic -> black magic
p6
avoid -> avoids

pg13
p4
…on the face -> …on your face

pg15
p6
hem -> um

pg18
p3
weight -> weigh
p9
weight -> weigh

pg 22
p1
You give me back my hat? -> Will you give me back my hat?
p7
teletransfert -> teleportation

pg23
p2
group -> flock

pg27
p5
youhouuuuu -> yoohooooo

pg28
p3
I have far simpler… -> I have something far simpler…

pg31
p4
canalizing -> channeling
p7
diverses -> diverse

pg32
P1
those -> these
p2
her -> er

pg33
p1
cyclop -> cyclops

pg34
p4
But I, am gifted -> But I am gifted! (delete comma)

Pg36
p4
feets -> feet

pg44
p3
arms room -> armory
p6
hihi -> heehee
because am a ghost -> because I’m a ghost

pg45
p6
wight -> weight

pg36
p7
oui -> yes
No.417665
Anonymous
Replies:>>417667
I never know how tu use "those ans these", or "That an this" correctly.
No.417667
Anonymous
Replies:>>417668
>>417665
"THOSE" over there (something in the distance)

"THESE" right here (something close to you)

I think "That" and "This" is the same:
THIS car can hold so many passengers *slaps roof* unlike THAT one over there. *can't slap, arms not long enough*
No.417668
Anonymous
>>417667
*same guy*

It gets a tad more indefinite with stuff that is is not tangible...
"This is a good idea."
"That was a good plan."

No idea what the rule is for those cases . ("those" to emphasize distance/disproofment)
No.417669
Anonymous
Replies:>>417670
>>417656
The title should probably be "the Witch's Apprentice" (apprentice of the witch)
or "the apprentice witch".

Wikipedia translated the title with the first one.
No.417670
Anonymous
Replies:>>417671
>>417669
It's probably a play on "The Sorcerer's Apprentice", so I have to agree.
No.417671
Anonymous
Replies:>>417672
>>417670
I had to look this up - the comic predates the movie "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" by 3 or so years, but apparently there was a 1971 Disney movie that got translated to this same title back in the 70s.
save file
image:155095495728.jpg(16kB , 480x360 , hqdefault.jpg)
>>417671
It's a 1797 poem by Goethe that's probably best well known from the section of the 1940 film Fantasia that adapted it.
No.417673
Anonymous
Replies:>>417674
>>417656
1st here

Dammit, I honestly thought you had lost interest so I didn't bother posting I would be afk the past week, but I'm back. Give me a couple days and I'll post my notes.
No.417674
Anonymous
>>417673
I'm just taking my time because I have things to do and don't want to burn myself out. But don't worry, I'll finish what I started.
No.417675
Anonymous
>>417674
1st here

That's reasonable. I was just a bit miffed that you managed to post it the day I went afk. Anyway, I had some irl stuff to attend to this week, but I expect to be done either tomorrow (friday) or saturday.
No.417676
Anonymous
melu 15

01+02
title
the witch apprentice -> the witch's apprentice
the apostrophe rules in english are dumb when it comes to non-contractions but google tells me the "'s" is needed in this case

p2
minor nitpick, but it's fairly obvious it's not the same font as the other bubbles

p6 b2
make -> do

p9 b2
stuffed -> fluffy/cushy/soft
stuffed doesn't really fit here

p3 b2
didn't see -> haven't seen
you -> you've

p5 b1
luggage -> baggage

p9 b1
to perfect my... spells, er... -> to er... perfect my spells...
sounds more natural

p1 b2
looking me -> looking at me

p1 b4
[which...want?] -> but it does beg the question: what do you want?
melu connecting the first and second part of the bubble doesn't make sense, but i'm a bit iffy about my own suggestion as well

p5 b1
cumbersome and precious -> something precious to me
"cumbersome" is a negative and doesn't really fit the context

p5 b1
her -> hey

p8
[...] -> you can find something to keep yourself busy with, in this room

p10
get -> have

p2
[time...again] -> time. he wants to bite someone again

p2 b3
autie -> auntie

p3 b2
quite a -> quite the

p1
[i have...time] -> i'm taking care of my little niece for a while

p4
dwadle -> dawdle

p5 b2
the face -> your face

p5 b1
[it's...here] -> i'm so glad you're here

p8 v1
real -> really

p9
dear friend morgane -> dear morgane OR my dear friend morgane
the "friend" bit could be intentional because melisande is a bit on the weird side, but for an informal letter like that the friend "title" isn't really needed

p3
weight -> weigh

p9
weight -> weigh

p1 b3
you give -> will you give

p2
to my feet -> kneel/grovel before me
technically it's not wrong, but kneel/grovel is way more common when demanding submission the way mali does it

p7 b1
teletransfert -> teleportation
but there was a -> but i had a

p2 b1
according to the internet, a group of vultures are callled a "wake" or a "venue". i've never heard that before and i honestly prefer 2nds "flock"

p4
smart -> cocky

p10 + t/l note
ideally some old british raunchy song but substituting some Bloodhound Gang - Bad Touch/Vengaboys- Boom Boom Boom/Fountains of Wayne - Stacys Mom/[other band that isn't E-Rotic level song porn] lyrics could work too. and change the t/l note to
"the original is an old french raunchy song"

p2
off my bundle -> off the bristle

p3
polecat -> skunk
polecats doesn't have that white skunk stripe

p10
ought to be cleaned and done with the font all the other text is in, for aesthetic reasons

p3 b2
[...] -> i have something simpler and more powerful than any (kind of) magic
other anon is correct too, but i doubt it'd fit in the bubble

p9 b2
peoples -> people

p6
an adjuvant -> a combiner
never heard adjuvant before, i had to google it

p7
diverses -> (many) diverse
text could use some centering too

p1
those -> these
thickets -> woods
thickets isn't wrong, i just think woods sounds better, while retaining the fancy speech pattern

p2
just pointing out that 2nds note is wrong here, since the "her" is a stiffled "herbs"

p1
cyclop -> cyclops

p4
i, am -> i am
it could be a pause comma for emphasis, but i doubt it

p4
feets -> feet

p9
[i may...anything] -> i kept looking for the secret, but i couldn't find anything!

p6
[...] -> gotta cool down
what mali is saying doesn't really make sense

p6
for you to teach me -> you teach me

the witch apprentice -> the witch's apprentice

p9 b1
know know -> know

p2 b1
what's happening -> what happened

p3 b2
arms room -> armory

p5
hurray -> hooray

p6 b2
wight -> weight

p7 b1
oui -> yes
true -> real
No.417677
Anonymous
Just a reminder, the filename should be

Melusine 15 - The Witch's Apprentice (Scanlation) (TranslateAnon).cbr
save file
image:155171219825.jpg(662kB , 1920x2642 , Melusine_T15-digital-01.jpg)
Here you go

Melusine Volume 15 - The Witch's Apprentice

https://mega.nz/#!JoJhiAIJ!wAg_f0gIWK-1IsyaZrVxQcsPe7ECbWBYa1GhshigoVs

Thanks for your work. I made some pretty awful mistakes lol.

>p5 b1
>cumbersome and precious -> something precious to me
>"cumbersome" is a negative and doesn't really fit the context
A negative terms is used in French too.

>34
>p4
>i, am -> i am
>it could be a pause comma for emphasis, but i doubt it
That's what I was going for, i went with "I" am
No.417679
Anonymous
>>417678
1st here

Thanks, well done with Adrazelles love speech on 28.

p5 b1
Crud, pirou is being slightly sarcastic which doesn't translate well. Something like "my pain and joy" would be more correct, but it doesn't really have the subtlety pirou is going for. I can't think of a proper way to word this.

I'd flip it back to pause comma, since that's the correct way to do it. Or change the "I" to *I*.

p7 b1
Missed the "oui".
No.417680
Anonymous
>>417678
Good work!
No.417681
Anonymous
Here's Melusine 15 with the last changes

https://mega.nz/#!ElAnmSLb!qbAtlbEBzvz5XJ6PO4j2XZ6a1GP8uY1Zs6mPSKbaKDk

Working on Melusine 16 now.
No.417682
Anonymous
>>417681
Thanks.
No.417683
Anonymous
>>417681
Nice job!
No.417685
Anonymous
>>417681
thank you so much, this is great
No.417686
Anonymous
Fantastic!
No.417721
Anonymous
Replies:>>417722
so this dead or on haitus again?
No.417722
Anonymous
>>417721
Read >>417674
Anon is just taking his time.
No.417723
Anonymous
Volume 16 releasing this week.
save file
image:155411877152.png(534kB , 777x579 , mélu16.PNG)
Here's Volume 16 to proof read :

https://mega.nz/#!l0pFVCoa!vlrAH75xXC2eEwpSgYQ-ZMxLgyOKkxmwomPq5bKuzmc
No.417726
Anonymous
>>417725
Thanks, I'll check it tonight!
No.417727
Anonymous
>>417725
1st here.
I might get it done early, but otherwise I'll have it done during the upcoming weekend.
No.417729
Anonymous
>>417725
>https://mega.nz/#!l0pFVCoa!vlrAH75xXC2eEwpSgYQ-ZMxLgyOKkxmwomPq5bKuzmc

Page 3 Panel 6:
"ALWAYS" in bold instead of underlined should look way better

Page 4 panel 5:
"a solution FOR your problem" is the beter phrase

page 21 panel 1:
"...crate ... contain..." --> "crate ... containS..." 3rd person S

THank you very much as always, btw.
No.417730
Anonymous
>>417725
Second proofreader done with my read-through. I think there's an above-average number of dialogue-free pages in this volume.

pg04
p7
less badly -> least badly
p9
>reductions
I don't understand what the word means in this context.

pg05
p8
you can -> you could

pg07
p7
No risks! -> Don't worry!

pg08
p9
I burns! -> It burns!

pg09
p5
I'm sometime -> Sometimes I'm
p8
Where's this -> Where's the

pg13
p2
nooks -> nook

pg15
p4
How can I -> How could I

pg39
p7
speed records -> speed record

pg41
p7
No ideas -> No idea
No.417736
Anonymous
1st here
I skipped the bits were 2nd had the same suggestions as me.
I find the title pretty odd, since the closest the tome gets to dancing is Melu and Canc "dancing" across the sky on their brooms. But the title is the same in french so I'm stumped.
I'm asking for some input elsewhere, about page 44 because the joke doesn't really translate well, so please wait a few days before posting fixes.
The spell on page 38 panel 4 is Bob (Marley) & The Wailers, which I found quite amusing for some reason. One of the better tomes in my opinion. At least I had some good laughs.

Melusine 16 - Enchanted Ballet (Scanlation) (TranslateAnon).cbr

melu 16

p6 b2
remove the underlining, it's not really needed. if you really want to put emphasis on it, upping the font a size or two for that word will work better. or bolding it, but i don't know if your font supports that

b4
[...] -> i'm clumsy, not stupid!
flows better

p7 b1
i do the less badly -> i do... less badly...

p9 b1
reductions -> ???
as far as i can tell after some googling, it's about preventing permanent cosmetical damage. that's really hard to translate without sounding like a wiki copypaste so i'd go with this instead
splints, reductions... -> splints and all that stuff...

p1 b1
preparations -> brews

p10
the banner text could use some stretching so the text follows the banner

p1 b2
contain -> contains

p6
[...] -> crazy from pain she threw herself off a cliff, holding the lifeless body of her lover in her arms
not fond of this rewrite, but it sounds a little less hammy than the panel

p2 b1
[...] -> alas, fair maiden! i have failed to honor my ancestors with victory. now their heavy sword will drag me into the abyss
still sounds a tad too corny for my liking, but at least it's more natural

p1
challenges -> challenge

p2 b1
malediction -> curse

p8
[and...eyes] -> not to mention the vast intelligence gleaming in your eyes

p1 b1
woops -> whoops

p1 sign
not an error but you could change it to "ye olde broom shoppe" for an oldtimey feel. seems like it'd fit with the hipster broom seller too
No.417737
Anonymous
Replies:>>417786
1st here
re: page 44
Didn't get any feedback but visually the joke is fairly obvious, so how about this instead.

b1
[...] -> were you making a strenght potion?

b2
[...] -> it failed, it was so strong i couldn't get it out of the cauldron!

More or less the same joke, but it doesn't rely on the implied "because it's strong and wont let go" part which I assume the raw relies on.
No.417739
Anonymous
Replies:>>417740
About the title, I get it now.
The theme of the book is pretty much brooms, and "Ballet" sounds the exact same as "balais", which means broom.
No.417740
Anonymous
Replies:>>417742
>>417739
Can we think of English-language pun that has to do with brooms or something related to them? "Whisked Away"?

Had another look at some things due to 1st proofreader's notes and have a couple extra notes of my own:

pg4
p9 re: "reductions"
if the idea is preparations to be applied to a wound "salves" or "poultices" might work here.

pg25
p6
crazy from pain -> mad with anguish
I think this wording fits the dramatic tone of the story better

pg33
p2
re: "malediction"
I noticed this in my reading and almost suggested it be changed to "curse" but since Melusine uses that word in the previous panel I thought it was better for the dialogue to use a different word. It's a somewhat unusual word but that's OK given the medieval/fantasy setting and I think the meaning is pretty clear from context.
No.417741
Anonymous
Malediction is fine in the context of the comic, it's just a prettier word for ill fortune (ie. a curse). In the context of the comic, it is not any more weird than Melusine exclaiming things like "Eczema and coryza!". They are classical old European witches, it is normal for them to use such language.
Also one of the volumes is titled Malediction.
No.417742
Anonymous
>>417740
>Can we think of English-language pun that has to do with brooms or something related to them? "Whisked Away"?

Sweepers? As in what you use the brooms for - sweeping the floor. Not too creative, but Enchanted Sweepers would roll off the tongue nicely.

Renaming the title might confuse some people, but it really should not stay as "ballet" because that's just even more confusing considering that the theme of the book is flying on the brooms.

On a less serious note I also thought of "enchanted besoms" but I don't think that would be tasteful or appropriate (besom being the type of brooms that witches use, and bosoms meaning chest/breasts).
save file
image:155472873439.jpg(40kB , 470x408 , Melusine_T16-digital-01.jpg)
>>417742
Well, Melusine is looking especially bosomy on the cover...
No.417744
Anonymous
>>417742
Perhaps something about being swept away, swept off one's feet. I'd say it would be better to lose the pun and keep the meaning rather than force in a crappy pun that doesn't really work.
No.417754
Anonymous
1st here
I like Enchanted Besoms for the wordplay, and it's not like Melusine doesn't have naked titties occasionally so I think it's fine. The closest thing I have to a gripe with it, is that "besom" isn't a particularly common word so some people would probably have to look it up to get the underlying broom pun, but c'est la vie.

Whisked/Swept Away works too, but it doesn't really tickle my fancy.
No.417755
Anonymous
What about "Magical Sweepers"?
No.417761
Anonymous
You guys DO realize that we are putting WAY more effort and brainy power into that title than ANY publisher would, right?

Not that i complain, but it is JUST the title.

And we will probably never find something that incorporates the 3 meanings "magic", "dance" & "brooms".
Though i DO wonder how long it took Monsieur Gilson to come up with this one.

Maybe just throw in some ideas and see what sounds best?

"Ballet of the brooms"

would be my idea.
No.417762
Anonymous
>>417761
>You guys DO realize that we are putting WAY more effort and brainy power into that title than ANY publisher would, right?

I imagine that's because they can outsource the translation to professionals, whose job is exactly to come up with translations on puns and the like. I can only imagine how much effort it must have taken to get the Asterix books right.

>"Ballet of the brooms"

I Like Ityoutube thumb
No.417764
Anonymous
Replies:>>417766
>>417761
Because people actually care when it's a labor of love and not just a means of getting another paycheck.

>>417762
There's two kinds of professional translators, those that care and those who just wants the next paycheck.
Those that care will typically get hired for high profile stuff like Asterix/Lucky Luke/etc. since a shitty translation could be costly in the long run.
Those who just wants the next paycheck will typically get hired for stuff like Black Moon Chronicles/Ythaq/etc. They have no qualms running the script through google translate, tweak it a little and call it a day.

Translators typically get paid per page.

>Ballet of the brooms
Eh, I still prefer Enchanted Besoms. You're unlikely to "get" the Ballet part, unless you already know the french title.
No.417765
Anonymous
Whatever professional worked on the Cinebook English translations of Melusine certainly didn't do a great job. The wording is often stuff and kind of odd. It doesn't flow well for what's a silly comedy.
No.417766
Anonymous
>>417762
I went to a talk by the son of the lady who did almost all of the Asterix translations, she sounded like a genius and he told stories like she'd be cooking some stew and poke her head round the corner and ask him what he thought of a certain pun, sounded comfy as fuark. Then she got dementia and died, real shame.

>>417764
I am strongly against enchanted besoms, it makes it sound like tiddies are a main focus of the book, which they definitely aren't. Sometimes you just have to abandon puns, and maybe insert new ones elsewhere. It's a delicate balancing act between the letter of the text and the spirit of the text.
No.417767
Anonymous
Replies:>>417770
How about something with brush instead, like "a brush with enchantment"
No.417769
Anonymous outsider
Replies:>>417771
>>417766
As someone who cannot speak more than a few words of French (or any non-English language), I always wondered how much of the translation in Asterix is literally correct and how much is original content from the translator in order to make sense and stay humorous. For example, I am sure a lot of puns and jokes do not make sense after translation.
With this project, how much of the original dialogue stays and how much has to be introduced?
No.417770
Anonymous
Replies:>>417771
>>417766
>tiddies
It really doesn't, in my opinion. You actually have to think about the wording to make the leap from brooms to tits, which is the whole point of wordplay. If it was the other way around, as in [explicit title that can also be interpreted in a nonsexual way] I would be inclined to agree with you.

As it is, I stand by my support for Besoms. At the end of the day it's up to translateanon.

>>417767
I see the double meaning, but I'm not a fan of "brush" in general. It makes me think of hair or tooth brushes, not brooms. Which isn't a good thing when the theme of the tome is brooms.
No.417771
Anonymous
>>417770
Maybe if besom were a word that more than a handful of people had ever heard.

>>417769
As a little example, all the character names are different, there's a page on Wikipedia that explains all the original jokes. I think they did the same in other European languages too, German certainly.
No.417772
Anonymous
Replies:>>417774
>>417771
>ever heard
As stated at the very beginning, that was my only gripe with it, but it's still the best suggestion so far.
I'll give my 2 cents on suggestions, but I have no intentions of arguing this back and forth with you until translateanon decides on a title. Both because arguing is pointless when it's ultimately translateanons call, and because I think there is a bump limit here, judging by archived threads on other boards (/pco/), but I have no idea if that's true or not. It's a better safe than sorry thing.

If you can come up with something better that
1) references magic
2) references brooms
3) is a wordplay
then by all means do so. I have no qualms changing my stance if a better option is presented.

On a somewhat related note, being against something for prudish reasons is a bit silly when the topic is french comics who has a long tradition for casual nudity. This isn't a jab at you in particular, but I felt it needed to be said nonetheless.
No.417773
Anonymous
Replies:>>417775
I'm the one who suggested besoms, I meant it as a joke. And note that I never heard of the word until now either (I found it by looking up type of brooms).
I don't think it's suitable for two reasons: the word is too uncommon, and such types of jokes/wordplays should be used in moderation. Having a few such jokes in the comic is one thing (note that this tome itself has its share of bare skin), putting it in the title itself is a bit too much. If it as a more common word, maybe I'd feel better about it. But then, maybe being such an uncommon word is what makes the wordplay better?

With that said I'm not against it, I just don't think it is the most suitable title. Would be hilarious if it ended up used, though.

>>417771
Changing the names is small potatoes compared to a lot of other jokes in the series.
I've only read the hungarian and english versions, and there are some jokes which do not exist in the english ones... I have no clue if this is because they added them to the hungarian release, or because they removed/changed them in the english ones. I need to re-read them for any specifics though, I know I spotted at least a few in Asterix the Legionnarie when reading it in english. I think it was when the egyptian says on the ship to weigh anchor: the word for anchor being a pun "iron cat", and the hieroglyphs for it depict a cat face shaped like an anchor. I think that may have been *added* to the hungarian release? It certainly worked incredibly good in that scene.
No.417774
Anonymous
Replies:>>417776
>>417772
I'm not against it because it's lewd, I'm against it because there was no lewdness in the original and because subjectively I believe your title suggests lewdness because no normal person has ever heard of a besom but everyone has heard of bosoms, so lewd is the primary implication here.

I believe that you have to target to your audience , and think that most people who speak English, even as a second language, will think tiddies rather than brooms with your suggestion. I would honestly rather straight "enchanted brooms" than your suggestion.

I also believe that "brush with enchantment" meets all three of your criteria. What do you do with a broom? You brush or sweep shit. Butt recognise that all this shit is subjective.
No.417775
Anonymous
>>417773
I'll take a look at that one in English and French and let you know.
No.417776
Anonymous
Replies:>>417779
>>417774
>your suggestion
It's not my suggestion though. It's the one I like the most out of those currently available. It's short and cryptic enough to warrant some thinking about, which is a plus when it's supposed to be a wordplay.

I'm aware that "brush with enchantment" fits the mold, and I wouldn't object to it being used. I just like Besoms better because to me, a brush is something small you use for teeth/hair/dishes/etc., not something big you can ride on, like a broom.
No.417779
Anonymous
>>417776
In that case how about:

"A Sweep of enchantment"?

Maybe another preposition would be better, but i leave that to someone with english as his native tongue.
No.417780
Anonymous
How about "Swept Away"? "Sweep" is certainly associated with brooms, and it's a double-meaning word play; the figurative "awed or excited" and the literal sense that the witches ride their brooms from place to place; they can go "away" with them.
No.417781
Anonymous
Replies:>>417783
I really hope this release isn't being delayed so much because of a single pun.
No.417783
Anonymous
>>417781
A pun for all, and all for a pun!
save file
image:155566154276.jpg(856kB , 1920x2646 , Melusine_T16-digital-01.jpg)
Here's Melusine volume 16... Ballet of brooms!
https://mega.nz/#!kppjxQZC!y09pRxLVepn54jJCb8f8-C6pE0dUaciE9w54Lka8zV4

The pun was pretty much untranslatable and Ballet of brooms sounded really good to me, good job to the anon who came up with it.

Thanks again to the proof readers, as always.
No.417785
Anonymous
That was a productive two weeks.
No.417786
Anonymous
>>417784
Thanks.
Gave it a quick check, everything seems to be fine, no broken pages and such.
However, you forgot page 44. Had it just been a typo, an (F) for a single thing might be a tad overkill but as it is, the dialogue doesn't make sense.
Here's my "fix" >>417737
No.417787
Anonymous
>>417784
>Ballet of brooms sounded really good to me, good job to the anon who came up with it.
Who suggested this?
No.417788
Anonymous
>>417784
the file is passworded?
No.417789
Anonymous
>>417788
Never mind, its not passworded but I needed to update.
15 and 16 are in a newer RAR format?
No.417790
Anonymous
>>417788
It's not passworded but it seems it is translated with RAR v5. Old apps may not be able to read it.

anon, please watch out to use RAR v4 when compressing.
save file
image:155594532527.jpg(44kB , 473x392 , Melusine - 17 - 0001.jpg)
The title of volume 17 is another thing to think about; correct me if I'm wrong but I think this phrase means something like "completely" or "100%", but the literal translation (blood for blood) in English sounds like it's got something to do with violent revenge.

Like the last volume I suppose the specific wordplay doesn't matter as long as it's the same kind of joke.

Anyone suggest any vampire puns?
No.417792
Anonymous
>>417791
I'm gonna say it before anyone else does, BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
No.417793
Anonymous
Replies:>>417794
>>417791
Blood will have Blood?
does someone get nasty consequences for their actions in the book?
No.417794
Anonymous
Replies:>>417795
Care to explain the original pun on the title.

>>417793
>Blood will have Blood?

Blood begets blood.
No.417795
Anonymous
>>417791
>>417794
>https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/sang-pour-sang.401027/

Potential multi-level pun

1) Blood for Blood - vampires like blood
2) A sentiment like 'an eye for an eye'
3) If referring to the original song, father and son looking similar
4) It sounds like 100% in French

Not read it, so I don't know if no.3 applies, but I think we'll struggle to get no.4, though just 'Blood for Blood' would fit 1 and 2.

Maybe something like 'A fang for a fang' as a play on a tooth for a tooth, if that's the main thrust of the album.
No.417796
Anonymous
>>417795
Oh, it just had to be the lyric of a Johnny Halliday song, of all things. I still greet my neighbours with "kili kili kili kili watch watch watch watch keom ken ken aba", it's contagious.

Anyway, going from memory, the book mainly deals about a nosferatu creature rampaging (or trying to). So "Blood begets blood" is bang on for #1 and #2, it is a quote from Sheakspeare's Macbeth so that covers #3, and while it doesn't have a second meaning to cover #4, it does have a pretty alliteration instead.

Of course, we can see if anyone else can come up with something better, but I think this one is pretty easy.
No.417797
Anonymous
>>417791
"Bloody well right"?
No.417811
Anonymous
Replies:>>417814
Melusine T27 - La guerre sans magie (2019) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD)
https://www78.zippyshare.com/v/d6RmOEHQ/file.html

Just reposting the raw here.
No.417814
Anonymous
>>417811
Thank you anon
No.417820
Anonymous
Replies:>>417821
We ded again?
No.417821
Anonymous
Replies:>>417822
>>417820
Given how that last book ended, the entire series might be dead now.
No.417822
Anonymous
>>417821
which? 27? looks like the end yeah, but I think anon was asking about the translation effort.
No.417823
Anonymous
I was definitely asking about the new translation.
No.417833
Anonymous
Don't worry, the translator may be busy. We already had a hiatus of a few months not long ago.
No.417834
Anonymous
yeah, its cool. quality takes time and im just happy the book is getting attention now, it didnt for years
No.417836
Anonymous
Replies:>>417861
Seems an anon from /co/ made a Melusine font:

https://gofile.io/?c=J2rFPT

perhaps this could be used for future scanlations (also if the first bunch of volumes are ever re-edited to use the HD raws).
No.417847
Anonymous
is translateanon still around?
No.417852
Anonymous
probably not.
No.417853
Anonymous
Rest in Peace translateanon. Bless for your service to cutey witches.
No.417854
Anonymous
He took month long hiatuses before, I still have faith that the rest of the books will be translated.

Plus there was another translator who did book 26 independently...
No.417861
Anonymous
Worst case scenario, should we try to continue without him? Does anybody knows somebody who speaks french and is willing to translate them?
I could help editing the text, testing how well the font posted here works >>417836
No.417874
Anonymous
Replies:>>417877
>>417795
i read that book

in my own judgement, it is the funniest of all melusine books

especially the part where the ancient vampire got turned into smurfs (is that the correct word for schtroumpf?) and does the 100 smurf dance or the daltons reference at the end
No.417877
Anonymous
>>417874
Yeah, the last few books by the original writer were the greatest. The one with the elixir of youth was also great, and had so many old Grimm stories parodied.
Replies:>>417924
save file
image:157728731650.png(1.20MB , 722x960 , Christian Darasse.png)
I was taking a look at the facebook page and I found a couple of guest pages by other franco-belgian comic authors.
Since this place is a bit too slow lately, I decided to translate them (even if I don't speak French and had to use Google Translate, and English isn't my native language either).
Here's one by Christian Darasse.
Replies:>>417927
save file
image:157728744460.png(1.25MB , 732x960 , Philippe Bercovici.png)
>>417923
And here's one by Philippe Bercovici.
I don't really get this one, maybe I didn't translate it well, or it's a pun in French. But hey, it has some gratuitious naked Melusine.
save file
image:157744773161.jpg(1.31MB , 1920x2644 , Melusine_T16-digital-44.jpg)
>>417924
>I don't really get this one
It's a french idiom that (google)translates as [it] getting stuck to the bottom. In english you'd say something like it being too strong and refusing to let go of the cauldron, implying it was so potent it became sentient.

Same thing happened with pic related and sadly translateanon vanished before putting the last touch on it.
No.417940
Anonymous
Replies:>>417941
>sadly translateanon vanished
what happened?
No.417941
Anonymous
>>417940
We don't know. He just stopped visiting.
No.417942
Anonymous
I have to say I love your work guys!
Why do only the Manga get all the fan translations?
I always wanted to read this comic, but I couldn't bring my self to start something with only 6 random volumes released and no hope for the rest.

Is there any place where you upload your final releases, or should I just go through this thread?
No.417943
Anonymous
>>417681
>>417784
15 and 16 appear corrupt to me. What program are you guys using?
The cbs "to proofread" upload of 15 works fine though.

What reader are you guys using? I use Comicplusplus.
No.417944
Anonymous
>>417943
iirc they appear corrupt because the uploader used RAR5 compression instead or RAR4. Wasn't a fixed version uploaded?
No.417945
Anonymous
>>417944
I used the mega links in my quotes. Are there any others?
No.417946
Anonymous
>>417944
I've googled the problem, extracted them and created my own.

https://mega.nz/#!89cgXSyT!Jid-HD24G5ClYcbsJZZT6ax5liOJXFf_n-FWugdIGw0
https://mega.nz/#!ExVAQQjK!NBiMqm0nT_PlNlCe3KuAWZWvS3rMPVFodFw4UaK_DFw

It's my first time doing all that, but this should work.
No.417947
Anonymous
Replies:>>417948
Thanks for the fixed one, works much better! :-)

I've never really understood why RAR is so much more common in digital comics rather than ZIP. They both compress equally well but RAR is proprietary and sometimes difficult to get to work on some platforms depending on whether the RAR decompression library is available, version of RAR, etc, whereas ZIP is open source and available on absolutely every platform (I wouldn't be surprised if smart refrigerators can unzip files) :-)
No.417948
Anonymous
Replies:>>417951
>>417947
RAR has always been favoured for piracy, ever since the 90s. I remember using it back on MS-DOS in the 90s to decompress cracked games. It also compresses significantly better than ZIP while not needing too much more power (unlike 7z which requires absurd cpu power). But comics in jpg files are already compressed, so rar and zip doesn't matter there.

Decompression libraries have never been a problem either, the one single issue in the past 20 years was that they added RAR5 to compete with 7z, that version needs new libraries, and many people who never update their apps end up with errors.

So you could say the huge presence of RAR is a legacy thing for comics. But for stuff where compression matters, it has the best balance of cpu power and compression ratio (zip doesn't compress as good, 7z takes too long to compress for minimal gains).
No.417949
Anonymous
Replies:>>417950
>>417943
Time to abandon your deprecated hipster reader and start using a reader made after 2014. Then that won't be an issue. And you'll be able to use it for archives with webp as well, should that format ever catch on.
save file
image:157981259403.png(52kB , 438x312 , acdsee 243.png)
>>417949
>abandon a tried and true, reliable reader that you are perfectly used to
>on the off chance some new hipster format catches on

bitch, I'm still using apps made in 2000, because they work.
No.417951
Anonymous
Replies:>>417952
>>417948
Actually, I don't even have winrar installed on my PC. I use 7-zip, but I didn't used that directly ether as I goodled the solution and followed it mechanically.
I right-clicked the files > send to > compressed zip folder, and then I renamed the .zip to .cbr. Until a few days ago I didn't even know that cbr files are supposed to be compressed image files since I use them so sparsely.
No.417952
Anonymous
>>417951
… if you use zip, you should rename it to cbz.
cbr = rar, cbz = zip. There's a chance that renaming them wrong will break your files on some viewers that rely on the extension.
No.418347
Anonymous
Replies:>>418375
can someone post links to 24 phantom city
No.418375
Anonymous
>>418347
Melusine 24 - The Phantom City (Scanlation).cbr
https://www45.zippyshare.com/v/vI0lchV4/file.html
No.418520
Anonymous
Any hopes of this being revived? Is the original translator out there? Can't we get a new one?
No.418523
Anonymous
Replies:>>418524
Can Someone post the files again?, they no longer exist.
No.418524
Anonymous
>>418523
These should stay alive for a bit longer.

Mélusine 01 - Magic spells.cbr 45.3 MB
https://mega.nz/file/l41zQLBK#0BMU6fetyXB7LqjOhuT2bmw-fPFWtoLpYyQepQ1YuWs

Melusine 03 - Inferno (Eng).cbr 41.1 MB
https://mega.nz/file/pg8TnTIA#kANbvQaZ7bzDWOC0Vjmca8znNyRgmZbXYtmF6BzbS6U

Melusine 04 - Stories to read by the fire (Scanlation) (TranslateAnon).cbr 45.2 MB
https://mega.nz/file/ct1XlbyA#hZ3RYAgLM4Wi-MRIkNgntPrVzVcjjA3a_ZqR1wSy2Qc

Melusine 06 - Imps and Korrigans (F) (Scanlation) (TranslateAnon).cbr 43.4 MB
https://mega.nz/file/QsknBTZa#7QjKLyt6tRiD-PweZwYhIYOcyL-DyL3viMPk8Telfr4

Mélusine 09 - Hypnosis (Scanlation) (TranslateAnon).cbr 39.7 MB
https://mega.nz/file/sltFQZoR#uiF6x858Ot9aHRAIHkrIGZ8J96k4iv5j5-Aw6Cn4J_w

Melusine 11 - At the school of hexes (Scanlation) (TranslateAnon).cbr 27.3 MB
https://mega.nz/file/k101TB5I#IhU3H11Yj5bsIM6qUTovDKKnChMWgChAAmzJ09dpgs0

Melusine 12 - Beauty and the Beast (Scanlation) (TranslateAnon).cbr 27.7 MB
https://mega.nz/file/h48liT7Z#FFkuCjtyIjKM5lR-Izhau4Rvrkr-VIxOcsGB3safoO0

Melusine 12 - la belle et la bète.cbr 20.3 MB
https://mega.nz/file/098z0BqB#bJJe-k9k7a058aT0OFuGXGj8kqvsknxUzFgIOWMnIFc

Melusine 13 - Superstitions (Scanlation) (TranslateAnon).cbr 63.7 MB
https://mega.nz/file/c50ViDrC#-TKwhi6bQe9_YYJg_1eFLkcYGwvvxIS55Uf1jFBdPLU

Melusine 14 - The Devil's cuisine (Scanlation) (TranslateAnon).cbr 66.3 MB
https://mega.nz/file/R0tBnJBS#166qdxn0uY-pss18bdp7JYixN9OjCN48UBcaDQ9b2-M

Melusine 15 - The Witch's Apprentice (Scanlation) (TranslateAnon) (F).cbr 64.7 MB
https://mega.nz/file/lx8nADLT#UcO8pgwjKdT7Br1Br5aMgrAfHb0agQgCRh4MyxjptjA

Melusine 16 - Ballet of brooms(Scanlation) (TranslateAnon).cbr 59.5 MB
https://mega.nz/file/l4sXiRrB#Dx4AskL38mPVX2PVPHiaJ6unb_E5OuXb0Gyfp4P6-to

Melusine 24 - The Phantom City (Scanlation).cbr 32.1 MB
https://mega.nz/file/sxlxnBJB#sX2gPDILD6KXoNdg7bnYbqikcLMgildP9qjS434qXqo

Melusine 26 - In Pink and Black (Scanlation).cbr 55.9 MB
https://mega.nz/file/V9k3HLDC#E9uqJT0n0ha49U8gMlgnRSqWFP7ul2R9E5OyCCXm1wM
No.418525
Anonymous
Replies:>>418722
raws for the still untranslated volumes:

https://www82.zippyshare.com/v/SAMEzNa5/file.html

https://www82.zippyshare.com/v/c206RirG/file.html

https://www82.zippyshare.com/v/hadzVe4b/file.html

https://www82.zippyshare.com/v/Eml1icyE/file.html

https://www82.zippyshare.com/v/ncYttmtF/file.html

https://www82.zippyshare.com/v/i0dybfyD/file.html

https://www82.zippyshare.com/v/q974XHQx/file.html

https://www82.zippyshare.com/v/2k7rLkp3/file.html

Melusine T27 - La guerre sans magie (2019) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).cbr
https://www82.zippyshare.com/v/WeofSRwC/file.html
No.418568
Anonymous
Replies:>>418581
I've emailed the scanlator; he says:
>I'm going through a very rough patch in my life this year so I can't afford that side project for now. My apologies about that.

So unless anyone else picks it up, I guess the project is on hiatus for now.
No.418581
Anonymous
>>418568
Oh shit, I hope it gets better for them whatever it is.
No.418582
Anonymous
someone uploaded the existing translations to RCO:
https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Melusine-1995
Replies:>>418625
save file
image:159829291002.jpg(136kB , 720x984 , mel_classe-noms.jpg)
its really unfortunate that melusine has ended

https://www.actuabd.com/Fin-de-series-chez-Dupuis

i would have liked at least 1 or 2 ending albums instead of ending the franchise at 27
No.418625
Anonymous
Replies:>>418640
>>418602
Yeah, but with the ending of book 27 it was expected. And on the up side, at least they ended it without driving it (further) into the ground. I agree that it would've needed a better "ending" album, but then the entire last bunch of books could've been better in general.
No.418640
Anonymous
Replies:>>418641
>>418625
well, i would have liked more chances for melusine to be sexy
which only happened once in this last arc.

then again, clarke love his dramas.
heck i remember a few years back on his blog, he posted so panels of another comic, a detective story it seemed, and the girl looked pretty much identical to melusine.

too bad that girl was the crime victim and the panels posted was where she was shot down.
No.418641
Anonymous
>>418640
>too bad that girl was the crime victim and the panels posted was where she was shot down.

In retrospect that was oddly foreshadowing.
No.418642
Anonymous
>>418641
well, i remember it was still something for teenagers or lower since there was no gore involved

and theres also the fact that a lot of his girls from other comics, including humoristic ones, have a passing resemblance to melusine, especially when he goes for a more realistic style instead of his caricature style. its just that this one was more resemblant than the others because she had the same hairstyle.

but that was years ago, he probably was still in collaboration with his scenarist at the time
No.418643
Anonymous
>>418641
all in all, that comic strip is probably still there on clarkorama

just have to take a few hours scouring it
Replies:>>418683
save file
image:160287615305.jpg(48kB , 575x422 , Melusine rights.jpg)
Says English rights have been sold.
Does that mean we can expect an 'authorized' translation?
No.418683
Anonymous
Replies:>>418703
>>418682
No, owning the translation rights does not mean that they are doing anything with it. What would be more useful is knowing who owns said rights (is it still Cinebook?), and what is the expiry on said rights (a period after which they will automatically lose the rights, if they do not release anything in the interim).
That would tell us how long until Cinebook either loses the rights, or is forced to release a new volume to avoid losing the rights.

Alternatively you could also ask the author on his blog about it, but last time someone asked why Cinebook is releasing stuff in random order, he didn't knew. So it could be something that not him but the publisher (Dupuis) handles.
save file
image:160545961703.png(1.64MB , 2164x1816 , Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 11.53.54 AM.png)
>>418683
If you click the word english, it pops up that yes, they are talking about Cinebook. I doubt they will ever release again, they havent for six years now...
This is frustrating. Like when Boom licensed Freaks Squeele and then did absolutely nothing with it
No.418722
Anonymous
Replies:>>418723
>>418525
Could I get these re-upped please?
No.418723
Anonymous
Replies:>>418724
>>418722
https://www105.zippyshare.com/v/wKrtm5xK/file.html

https://www105.zippyshare.com/v/5uowegcT/file.html

https://www105.zippyshare.com/v/MRsNY4fY/file.html

https://www105.zippyshare.com/v/7chFhG6x/file.html

https://www105.zippyshare.com/v/pedoZjve/file.html

https://www105.zippyshare.com/v/7caLkVxb/file.html

https://www105.zippyshare.com/v/5CzN8Rta/file.html

https://www105.zippyshare.com/v/lKl5idb4/file.html

Melusine T27 - La guerre sans magie (2019) (Digital) (Grodbeldekk-Empire) (HD).cbr
https://www105.zippyshare.com/v/zZe81l1J/file.html
No.418724
Anonymous
>>418723
Note that I uploaded these just for this thread so they probably won't last too long...
No.418725
Anonymous
>>418724
Got'em. Thanks very much.
No.418727
Anonymous
>>418724
Darn, I missed this and now #20 and up are gone :-/ Anyhow, if someone wants #23 in English there is a scanlation for it; might not have been proofread that much (no idea since I just downloaded it), but here it is:

https://www104.zippyshare.com/v/6IYKAOHd/file.html
No.418728
Anonymous
>>418727
oh for fucks sake.
I'll upload them to something more permanent tomorrow.
Book 23 was posted here already, I thought...
No.418729
Anonymous
>>418727
This is the V2 proofread, that was posted here: >>417505
No.418730
Anonymous
Replies:>>418775
Folder for translated books
https://mega.nz/folder/AlUmFTjL#yUtJUXBlXroE93nG8mqK8Q

These include both the old and new translations for book 12, and the alternate scanlation someone posted on 4chan while another guy worked at it here (it has better fonts but missing the last few pages).

Folder for UNTRANSLATED books
https://mega.nz/folder/phMClDQS#MxWCiVUjdTPJkNiGygynwA

If any new books get scanlated properly, I'll be removing them from this folder.

I hope these should stay up for a while.
No.418775
Anonymous
Replies:>>418776
>>418730
I wonder why they translated 23, 24 and 26 before the books between 16 and 23. I haven't read them yet because i want to read all in order, especially considering there's some plot development.
No.418776
Anonymous
>>418775
I think the last few volumes were done by a different person; and I think 26 got special treatment because it came out just then.
Also note that books from 22 & up sort of make up an arc, with a change in the cast and a recurring antagonist. But the rest of the books don't have anything of the like, they can be read in any order.
No.418784
Anonymous
Hello all. I'm not native English speaker (my English level is up-int) and neither French (my French is just elementary) but I can read any french BD just use google doc (for OCR) and deepl (for translate). I made bilingual books (OCR-ed and corrected original french text and machine-translated english. (~3 min for 1 page)
It's looks like this:
https://www113.zippyshare.com/v/3Go6ccgZ/file.html
The quality of such translation is not bad.
So anybody can make such book and another enthusiast can made proofread and third can use photoshop and made final version.
No.419424
Anonymous
Replies:>>419439
"Second proofreader" here saying I'll occasionally check this thread for the benefit of a /co/ anon who said he may translate some more books.
No.419439
Anonymous
Replies:>>419440
>>419424
/co/ doesn't get shit done anymore.
No.419440
Anonymous
>>419439
All of 4chan is shit nowadays, literally was better back "in my day".
No.419534
Anonymous
Hello, how's everyone? Was just checking if there were any updates on this.
No.419674
Anonymous
Replies:>>419687
Too late for this thread, does anyone still have the cbr files to share now that zippishare is gone?
No.419687
Anonymous
>>419674
which ones do you mean, the untranslated books?