/baw/ - General Discussion

Please consider donating! Thanks!

Thread stats: 345 posts, 61 files (60 image(s), 1 audio(s))

Toggle poster info Replying to /baw/394729 Close window
Options
save file
image:141612350400.gif(2.34MB , 450x258 , 1416046686598.gif)
/tek/ thread time!

Ever since I gave Tiki advice on getting a new desktop, I've been wanting to share my experience with how my own build went, and I figure I ought to do that already.

I think I got a pretty solid design here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZWHvRB
Portability since I want to lug it between my parent's houses, decent in most areas of performance, very solid power supply, damage resistant motherboard. Unfortunately I hadn't ordered anything online before, and asked my mom for help. After some confusion with credit cards, we ended up going with a different case, this one to be exact: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/silverstone-case-sstps07b

Don't know how well my first choice would have done, but I'm having some issues with the one I went with. There's two fans on the case, but the connectors won't hook up directly to the power supply, and the motherboard only has one fan connector. This leads to some overheating problems that aren't helped be the generally cramped nature of the case of the thick cables used the power supply taking up so much space - thankfully most of them were taken out since it's modular, but that's probably why they're so thick. Not to mention the door over the intake that I need to remember to open whenever I set the computer down.

Not as bad as long as I don't run too much as once, brush the dust off the intake filters and keep the door over it open. I'll have to see if removing the dust lets me get past that one level of Quantum Conundrum (Road to higher Learning) that's been making my machine crash by the time I reach the end. Other than that, performance it pretty good. Windows 8 in nicer than Vista but I don't like what it's done to Search, I like having the pane and being able to use advanced search without going to a separate window. Backing things up weekly to the other hard drive is nice.

In addition to looking for a way to hook up both fans, I'll want to see if I can put the solid state hard drive in a removable case and just move that between similarly built machines instead of moving the whole machine around.
No.394738
Anonymous
Any good suggestions for free and reliable antivirus?
No.394742
Autonywork !x4vv0ZYuAo
Replies:>>394775
>>394738
If you're technically minded (have NoScript and such installed, keep your system updated, don't open random attachments, etc.): Microsoft Security Essentials
If you're not (or are doing this for a relative): Avast! or Avira, though both can be naggy.
No.394751
Eating
Replies:>>394775
>>394738
Also consider getting MalwareBytes too.
No.394775
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
>>394751

Seconding this and >>394742
No.394779
Anonymous
Replies:>>394781
Any good alternative for Avast! out there?
Avast! can get obnoxious from time to time.
No.394781
Autonywork !x4vv0ZYuAo
>>394779
Avira is about as obnoxious, perhaps a bit less. I don't know that there's any other free real-time virus programs, though there are a number of free scan-ad-hoc programs.
Replies:>>394787
save file
image:141652682800.jpg(30kB , 660x440 , taurus-curve-22-660x440.jpg)
FUCKING
save file
image:141652698800.jpg(11kB , 250x431 , 2180691.jpg)
CHRIST

the conceal carry people did not need to be scarier.

I would prefer they have an AK on their back than this.
No.394786
Anonymous
Replies:>>394787
>>394785
Aren't concealed weapons illegal?
No.394787
Autonywork !x4vv0ZYuAo
Replies:>>394788
>>394783
>>394785
I'm lazy, tell me why this should be scary.

>>394786
Depends on the state. Some states allow open carry and concealed carry (Texas), some states allow concealed carry but not open carry (Colorado; a Sherriff told my mom they don't allow open carry because they don't want to deal with people calling the police just 'cause someone is walking around with a gun), and I'm sure some state does the opposite. Some large cities have stricter laws than the state.
No.394788
The Sneaky Tiki
>>394787
Smaller than your phone, fits to the curve of your body, print-less, doesn't show up on x-ray and barely registers on metal detector, 6+1 .380 ACP.

Super small guns have always made sacrifices that compromised effectiveness, this doesn't, at all.
No.394791
Anonymous (Australia)
>>394788
If my finger is meant to be able to pull the trigger, I don't think it's smaller than my phone.

Pretty neat gun though. Very thin.
No.394802
Tora Dora !n0CyHpL66I
>>394788

Tiki...no gun can legally be undetectable by metal detector, and the steel barrel, firing pin, and springs, brass casings, and lead/copper bullets will all show on an X-ray. This is not the mythical Glock 6, this is a six plus one shot .380 subcompact (not at all new) made by a company infamous for quality control issues. All it has is a gimmick. Not printing is all a matter of the right weapon and clothes. If you're big enough, have the right holster in the right place, and youre in a parka, you can carry a super redhawk and not print.
No.394806
Anonymous
The person who came up with the concept that all computer parts should just have some arbitrary fucking numbers in their name deserves to get shot. How the fuck is a 3930K better than a 4790K and then the 5820K is somehow better than both of those? Make some fucking sense you assholes!
No.394822
Anonymous
>>394806
I've been saving up to get a gaming rig and yeah, it's not easy picking out parts.
No.394847
Anonymous
>>394806

Pretty sure they're trying to deliberately confuse you so you'll fuck up and buy something inferior for more money than it's worth.

Also: http://www.logicalincrements.com/ is your friend.
No.394848
Anonymous
Replies:>>394852
>>394847
Funny to think that site started as a /g/ infographic.
No.394852
Anonymous
>>394848

There have been a few 4chan guides that spunoff into full sites. It's interesting what can happen when people who aren't shitposters put work in.
No.394855
Anonymous
>>394847
Should have mentioned that in the OP post, since I used it to get an idea what parts to look.
No.395000
Anonymous
Was Google down for a second or was I crazy?
No.395001
Anonymous
Replies:>>395005
Is Google Down right now or am I crazy?
No.395005
Anonymous
>>395001
I didn't notice anything.
Replies:>>395358
save file
image:141759359100.jpg(50kB , 620x409 , felton3HR-1407397598097.jpg)
Self-Folding Robotsvimeo thumb
http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robotics/robotics-hardware/self-folding-printable-origami-robot
No.395025
Anonymous
Speaking of Google...
http://googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.com/2014/12/are-you-robot-introducing-no-captcha.html
save file
image:141818337300.jpg(1.23MB , 2715x1902 , WikiReader_virtual_keyboard.jpg)
Aw, Openmoko Inc. must have gone under or something. They made some really interesting designs. Was really thinking this would be a good early electronic device for children rather than giving them more standard computers or tablets.
No.395358
Anonymous
>>395016
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
//youtube.com/watch?v=_CYu2tbkgF4youtube thumb
No.395368
Anonymous
And now Youtube doesn't like loading, either due to Pale Moon, or NoScript despite temporarily allowing youtube.com and ytimg.com. Embedded it's working, but on the Youtube page it stays a black rectangle.
No.395369
The Sneaky Tiki
Replies:>>395383
That's all on Youtube, shit is broked right now.
No.395383
Anonymous
Replies:>>395384
>>395369
Well not captcha isn't loading for me either. This might actually get me to stop sing 4chan just because I can't post.
No.395384
Anonymous
>>395383
>not
*now
No.395605
Anonymous
Replies:>>395641
After years of having an old flip phone I've finally been thrustted into the future as I got a smartphone for Christmas. Is there anywhere I can find some decent wallpapers for it? The ones on the phone are a bit lack luster.
No.395610
Anonymous
Replies:>>395617
Got a Wacom tablet this Christmas, will try to sketch stuff with it and put more art up.
No.395617
Anonymous
>>395610
Nice!
What sortof stuff are you drawing, mate?
No.395641
Anonymous
>>395605
4chan's /wg/ usually has a smartphone thread IIRC. Either way, they have lots of resources in the sticky.
No.395674
Anonymous
Alright so my antivirus says I might have a worm, but Malwarebytes isn't finding it. Am I in trouble?
No.395675
Anonymous
Have you checked what the programs thinks the worm is? I had one that kept pulling up a pirated game's file (which turned out to be a non-issue)
No.395676
Anonymous
Replies:>>395677
It says that the source file can't be found and that it doesn't exist.
No.395677
Anonymous
>>395676
It was a firefox cache file I think.
No.395729
Anonymous
I left my iPod in my pocket for two minutes and now it's trying to add an image number to my contacts list.
No.395731
Anonymous
Okay anons, I need some help.

My boyfriend is not good with computers. He went to download a game and ended up with lots of adware/unwanted stuff. I got most of it cleaned up but once in a while when he searches in the Chrome top bar he still gets a search redirect called "Looksafe" that brings up Yahoo. It's random as to when it will redirect to it--sometimes it won't for hours, sometimes it will do it 10x in a row.

I have run CCleaner to get rid of any visible programs, disable start-up options and etc. I have done Malwarebytes as well as Hitman Pro, which both found stuff I missed (registry keys and system32 stuff) but after rebooting and run again could not find anything else. I have fixed Chrome's settings. I have uninstalled and re-installed Chrome a few times, thinking it may have been something attached to Chrome's files. I've mainly been working on bleepingcomputer's guides so I'm sure I've left off something that I've done before.

I don't know what else to do. I was considering Combofix, but after reading some warnings it got me nervous and I'm scared to do it now. Any suggestions?
No.395750
Anonymous
Replies:>>395772
>>395731
There's always backing up files that you're fairly sure have nothing bad on them and reformatting.
No.395758
Autonymoose !x4vv0ZYuAo
Replies:>>395772
>>395731
If it's just happening in Chrome (have you tested with IE/FF?), it could just be one of those add-ons that gets bought up by a spam company and converted into a spam app. If it's recent it wouldn't have been caught by the various cleaner programs. Check the Extensions (Settings > Extensions) and remove as much as possible, even if it looks innocent.

You can also try running Hijack This, though you have to know what to look for and nuke yourself from the results, and I've had success with Ad-aware in the past but it looks like it's turned into a regular anti-virus program? I suppose you can still give it a shot.
No.395772
Anonymous
>>395750
I'll consider this if all else fails. The only things he has on his computer right now are wallpapers and games (mostly Steam) so it's not like it would be a huge effort but I'd rather do that as a last resort.

>>395758
Haven't tested IE. I'll see if it affects that as well. Extensions were all cleaned. The only one I had left was Adblock Plus which I uninstalled before uninstalling Chrome and then reinstalled later.

I tried Adaware. It picked up some things but not everything. It used to be my go-to for cleaning up so it was one of the first things I tried.

I'll try Hijack This as well.

I'm not going to see him again until Thursday but I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thank you both!!
No.395774
Anonymous
Other ideas:
>Check the startup programs in msconfig for anything unfamiliar
Don't trust it, though, as a good virus/malware will fuck with it and make it look ok. (Hijack This looks at startup programs, too, so this isn't that necessary.)
>Boot into safemode w/ networking (after the BIOS splash screen disappears, mash F8 like the Fist of the North Star)
Check if it still happens. If not, then the problem is likely another program intercepting the Port 80 traffic. If so, then it's either the browser itself or a really deep malware. This is also the best way to run Hijack this or any other anti-malware program, as that makes it less likely for the malware to interfere. Also checking startup/installed programs/etc. in safemode is best.
>Use Process Explorer to check for weird programs running
Download Process Explorer (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx) on a known-good computer and burn it to a CD, which I think you can run it from to keep whatever-it-is from altering the program on storage (if not, you can copy it to the desktop.) This gives you a deeper look than Task Manager does, and you can use it to see what is hiding in svchost.exe (which does a lot of services in multiple instances.) Again, look up anything that seems weird, especially if appears when you do a search in Chrome. Speaking of...
>Look at installed Services
Sometimes virii/malware mimics a Service, so look up anything you're unfamiliar in the Services (through Control Panel > Administration, or Win+R > services.msc). There are a lot of things that look vague/questionable but are legit, so I wouldn't do this unless everything else comes up negative and you still don't want to scrub the drive.

Also, if you want to try Chrome again, make sure to get the full installer from another, known-clean computer, as if you try to download it from his computer the malware might intercept and inject its own installer to make you think you're getting a clean one.
No.395810
Anonymous
>>395809
And then I embarrassingly link to the wrong video, not that I didn't want to mention both anyway.
Actual Qbo/Macintosh/Sniper Joe/QT video here: //youtube.com/watch?v=3N1Q8oFpX1Yyoutube thumb
No.395818
Anonymous
>>395810
>where did you go
>there you are
>don't shoot, it's me!
>I don't blame you...
No.395837
Omegon
>>395809
>>395810
The future is so close I can taste it. I believe we will see space colonization in our life time.
No.395888
Anonymous
So here's this channel I've been watching today that's nothing but weird gadget advertisements.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUi4aspUAMcEG5ZEdnOrBQg

There's some audio issues with it at times, and a few of the products are dumb, but they at least tend to seem pretty science fiction-ish. And if you get that dumb light thing, I suggest you mount it on the wall *after* you wash your hands, not before.
save file
image:142093582800.jpg(17kB , 398x298 , Untitled.jpg)
LookSafe is pure unadulterated malware, it gives zero benefits to the user.

Here's a full instructable, print it out, go into safe mode, and have fun.
http://malwaretips.com/blogs/looksafe-virus-removal/

>Combofix
Is basically giving remote access to a pro without actually doing it. The pro can make purpose built lists of what to do, email you the list, you copypaste the list into combofix, and combofix carries out the orders.
Obviously it's only useful if you have a pro malware expert on your hands to email and such.

>Hijack This
Mainly diagnostics, again useless unless you know how to use it.

Pic is my modest tool collection for my last malware search.
nW----- thingy is GMER, you might not want to use it.
iExplore obviously isn't what it says it is, it's Rkill (registry killer from bleeping computer), which kills active registries that can respawn a virus.
JRT is junkware removal tool.
Else should be findable through google.

Also in addition have normal stuff like crap cleaner, microsoft security essentials, spybot search and destroy, and most of all Malwarebytes tools
https://www.malwarebytes.org/downloads/
ESPECIALLY their chameleon, which you can run in 'safe mode with networking' with decent results.

If an average user can't root out a problem with these tools, he's gonna need pro help.
No.396123
Anonymous
I had no idea Wikipedia had a actual main contents page?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Contents
No.396174
Anonymous
My laptop screen just flashed black and returned to normal. Should I be concerned?
No.396185
Anonymous
>>396174
Can't hurt to run a scan. Is your video driver set to auto-update? If so, that could have been it, though it would be a poor auto-update implementation.
No.396186
Anonymous
>>396174

A computer doing something weird once is usually not a cause for concern. If it keeps happening, get worried.
No.396190
Anonymous
Replies:>>396208
Does anyone use Suddenlink? Is it any good?
No.396208
Anonymous
>>396190
I heard they monitor your stuff.
No.396252
Anonymous
Did youtube stop doing the grey out watched thing?
No.396567
Anonymous
I present to you a video summarizing the current state of computer technology development:
//youtube.com/watch?v=DubSq757DTIyoutube thumb
No.396585
Anonymous
Replies:>>396586
Just asking: the free version of Malwarebytes is any good?
No.396586
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
No.396893
Anonymous
http://twister.net.co/
Haven't tried this yet, but it sounds nice.
No.397297
TeethandHunger
I found out Radioshack is closing a bunch of their stores. Now is the time to buy marked down stuff.
I got a Snowball and a french phone adapter.
No.397298
Anonymous
>>397297
My local store went out of business a few months ago, I got so much stuff. I felt a little bad for being so happy they were closing, though...
No.397303
TeethandHunger
>>397301
I approve of this very much.

>>397298
>>I felt a little bad for being so happy they were closing, though...

What you felt was happiness toward getting a good deal, not on the fact that the store is closing.
I've been to a few store auctions and felt the same way you did. Happy about a deal, sad about the end of something.
As far as I know not ALL of the store locations are closing. I've spoken to a Radioshack guy where I live and he said that one store in the next town is staying open. So maybe there are others.
My regret is that I never learned how to soder those boards together to make a blinking light or a robot.
I'd would have liked to have learned how to do that.
No.397325
Anonymous
Got new fans for my computer. The old fans had more or less become useless, so airflow in the case was bad and my CPU/GPU fans would spin as though trying to reach orbit before. These are so quiet and nice, plus they have LEDs for some ambient lighting.
No.398436
Anonymous
Really should get a splitter to connect both fans already. Also, dust the case out. Maybe get my hands on a bellows for that, instead of getting canned air. Also, currently learning Pure Data, though Javascript is probably something I should practice again.
No.398454
Anonymous
Hmm, I can't connect to Lainchan via 3DS because of an SSL error. Probably using an outdated version, maybe Heartbleed vulnerable.
No.398590
Anonymous
Replies:>>398591
Got myself a new rig, but thought myself real clever by trying to install my old SSD in it. Turns out that shit doesn't work. And now I'm kinda torn, since I lost my Windows 7 disc. Should I buy a new one or risk pirating it and upgrade to 10 when the time comes?
No.398591
Anonymous
>>398590
If you still have the Win7 key, I think you can download an official ISO from Microsoft's website.

And do you still have the old PC? Put the SSD back in that one and create a Restore Disk. It will allow you to do a "restore" that should, IIRC, make it possible to reset drivers etc. when run in the new PC.
No.398592
Anonymous
Replies:>>398594
My computer is available to upgrade to Windows 10.
...Should I?
No.398594
The Sneaky Tiki
>>398592
Yes, unlike the mess that was Windows 8, 10 is great.

It's seven with convenience features stolen from Linux basically.
No.398602
Anonymous
Getting a new PC just feels so fucking good, you guys.
save file
image:143461532900.jpg(21kB , 259x286 , 18plrffdugl46jpg.jpg)
>>398602
I take that back.
>2 GB of Windows updates
save file
image:143474626700.gif(271kB , 540x784 , 1422936646621.gif)
>>398602
>Getting a new PC just feels so fucking good, you guys.
I built my rig last November. Shit was so cash.

>I could run all those steam games I couldn't before
>Everything was faster
>3TB HD means I could download all the porn I wanted and install all the games I wanted
save file
image:143505953400.gif(2.36MB , 400x200 , fuckshitasscocktittybonerbitchmuffpussycockbuttholebarbrastreisand.gif)
>using Audacity to record audio from speakers
>almost finished recording
>receive a fucking facebook message
No.399060
Anonymous
I love when you use Tor and all the ads are in German or some other central European country. I got a 3 minute pop-ish song for kids parties ad in Dutch
No.399365
Anonymous
My connection keeps shutting off and on and it's driving me fucking crazy. Every 5 minutes it cuts out and comes back after another 5 minutes, and Win7 says the DNS server just isn't responding. I called our ISP and they replaced our router, but that didn't help, nor does resetting the damn thing. Called them again and they said they'd send someone out, but that never happened.
No.399367
Anonymous
Replies:>>399368
>>399365
You don't happen to have the router located somewhere that is quite warm, do you?
No.399368
Anonymous
No.399370
Anonymous
Replies:>>399371
>>399365
Try changing your DNS settings http://www.howtogeek.com/164981/how-to-switch-to-opendns-or-google-dns-to-speed-up-web-browsing/
I changed to the Google one years ago when I was having connection issues every day because of my ISP.
No.399371
Anonymous
>>399370
That sortof works, but now it takes like 10 minutes to reconnect every time I restart my machine.
No.399377
Anonymous
>>399371
Nevermind, it doesn't work at all. Even after switching to Google DNS I have the same problem. Connection switches on and off every 5 minutes.
No.399392
Anonymous
Replies:>>399394
>>399371
Do other machines using the same connection have the same problem?
No.399394
Anonymous
No.399549
Anonymous
Dear Windows 10,
fucking stop calling software apps. This is not a fucking phone.
With best regards,
anon
No.399555
Anonymous
>>399549
Blame apple. They popularized and standardized it.

Even their OSX programs are called apps.
No.399562
DudeWithMoney !SFwR6DnH/Y
>>399549

I hate this too, but I'm pretty sure that linguistic ship has sailed.
No.399566
Anonymous
>have a pretty good midrange rig now
>oh hey, all my games are running at a solid 80+ FPS and I've got a big new empty hard drive, maybe I can try recording some webms
>framerate tanks to <20
Goddamn. No wonder all those Youtubers have like $6k+ machines.
No.399579
Mister Twister
Okay... what program is that?
//youtube.com/watch?v=uuGqlEG2yjYyoutube thumb
No.399582
Anonymous
Replies:>>399584
>>399579
Wow, you really are barely out of highschool.
No.399584
Mister Twister
>>399582
I never finished the Special Software Highschool, so you are right on that front.
No.399591
Mister Twister
>>399590
I am stupid as fuck. Thanks.
No.399593
Anonymous
>>399590
I remember that program!
No.399908
Anonymous
Earlier, I tried installing MegaSYNCH because I use Mega links so much and they had a song written about then once so why not? But then the installer was super dumb restarted explorer.exe under the admin account I used the installer with, so I cancelled the installation and restarted explorer. Later I rebooted for updates.

More recently (today), I moved an image from one account on my computer to another and noticed my main and admin accounts were giving password hints when i never set them to do that. They were arbitrary things like -1 for the admin and a string of four numbers/letters for the main one, which has nothing to do with my actual passwords? When I reset for an update again soon after the hints disappeared. I think at some point I should consider changing my account passwords.
No.400029
Anonymous
Microsoft has literally the worst tech support ever holy fucking shit.
No.400037
Anonymous
Replies:>>400045
Do other languages have translated coding languages, or do they have to learn commands in English?
No.400045
Anonymous
>>400037
English for most of them, especially lower level ones that expect ASCII. There's programming language made by people with other native languages, like Ruby, but even there keywords are English. Only exception I know of is http://animalnewyork.com/2013/arabic-programming-language-at-eyebeam-%D9%82%D9%84%D8%A8-opens-the-world/
No.400746
Anonymous
/g/ is talking about an imgur exploit right now. idk shit, but it involves /r/4chan, 8chan and imgur. Also, conspiracies and pokemon.

Advice: don't open 8chan swfs or imgur links. it is unknown how many are exploited.
No.400802
Anonymous
http://www.computerworld.com/article/2984889/windows-pcs/lenovo-collects-usage-data-on-thinkpad-thinkcentre-and-thinkstation-pcs.html

Nice job. I was going to install Linux on my next computer just because I want to use something as a server, but I don't think it'll be from Lenovo.
No.400882
Anonymous
TL;DR problem solved, happy

Well, I use TrueCrypt (the loli-ish stuff on /pco/ is a very dark grey area where I live) and one of the folders was one with a hidden volume (basically it makes one "fake" encrypted folder with one password and a "real" encrypted folder behind it. Yeah, I was young and paranoid) and spent ten minutes trying to remember the password to the real archive, since I left vague clues in a notepad file. (60 char password)

Then I decided to change it to a simpler password, before realising that was also my password for the fake archive, so when I type in the real password, it comes up with the fake archive instead.
So I freaked out a bit, but then thought about it and realised than they both still existed, but the fake one opened first. So I changed the password and luckily only the fake half changed, and the real half kept the same password. So I'm really happy!
save file
image:144368841100.png(34kB , 456x160 , Screen Shot 2015-10-01 at 04.32.54.png)
El Capitan is basically Yosemite without the lagging (faster and more responsive).

To put it differently, Apple finally realized they created a monster, and quickly gave us back Mavericks as an apology.
No.401435
Anonymous
Stupid noobish question but I'd like to get an IRC client and don't quite know which one to go for. Different clients can connect to each other right?

I've heard a lot of them are basically the same but I'd still like to know if there are any specific recommendations. Right now I'm looking at HydraIRC.
No.401436
Anonymous
Replies:>>401438
>>401435

IRC is a protocol; whatever client you use to connect to an IRC server doesn't matter. Go with whichever client feels "right" to you.
No.401437
Anonymous
>>401435
Rizon is an online one, but I assume you know about it already.
I used Xchat 2 (aka Ychat) which is a free version of Xchat. It's alright.

Also, what the last post said.
No.401438
Anonymous
>>401436
Thanks.
No.401566
Anonymous
Only two more weeks until I get proper internet. I'm so excited. No more 3-5 days of downloading for games on Steam.
No.401681
The Sneaky Tiki
As mentioned at the start of this thread I was trying to get a new PC for about $2000 dollars but I'm kinda whistling in the dark here, does anyone know a good way to check compatibility, it's really annoying.

Motherboard = Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P = $122
Ram = Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 1866MHzSpecs = $240
Videocard = GeForce GTX 980 = $700
Solid State Drive = Samsung 850 EVO or PRO based on advice $269
Medium Tower 700 Waterbed + Chassis = Corsair Graphite 780T PC $260
Processor = AMD FD8350FRHKBOX FX-8350 FX-Series 8-Core Black Edition $239.00
$1830

This is what I'm looking at thus far, if you've got any suggestions I'd be extremely happy to hear them, please mind the $2000 limit.
No.401682
The Sneaky Tiki
>>401681
Specifically I'm looking to game and stream.
No.401685
Anonymous
>>401681
for concerns if they'll work well together run it through here. https://pcpartpicker.com/

For now that looks solid as the zone for current ram is 1866 and anything more than that is getting fractional increases. In a few years I'd say a full Desktop Replacement Laptop could do you for a good number of years.

I say wait on that as Nvidia is just now putting unlocked full 980s into laptops and I think it'll be about two or three years till they get all the kinks worked out as far as cooling goes and the pascal release doesn't look like it'll be here for at least another six months or so.
No.401696
Anonymous
Replies:>>401698
I'm thinking design based too heavily around what users do most often at the expense of making it harder to perform the unexpected can be likened to food designed around the substances most common in the human diet while ignoring essential trace nutrients.
No.401698
The Sneaky Tiki
>>401696
Fair enough, I think it'll turn out fine either way.
No.401720
Anonymous
Replies:>>401721
http://bgr.com/2015/10/15/adobe-flash-player-security-vulnerability-warning/
Better get rid of that shit fast.
No.401721
Mister Twister
>>401720
Done! I have the official uninstaller ready for cases like this.
No.401751
Anonymous
Replies:>>401754
Flash Patch may be out. Its on the adobe website someplace.
No.401754
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>401757
>>401751

Fuck Flash. The sooner it's dead, the better.
No.401757
Anonymous
Replies:>>401758
>>401754
I'm tec illiterate. Why is flash bad?
No.401758
Slowmobile
Replies:>>401760
>>401757
It's sluggish, bloated, and causes way more trouble than it's worth with all its vulnerabilities and exploits.
No.401760
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>401792
>>401758

And it crashes more often than a NASCAR driver.
save file
image:144521047800.jpg(117kB , 760x507 , pastor-maldonado-1[1].jpg)
>>401760
Sounds like a challenge for this guy.
No.401796
Anonymous
//youtube.com/watch?v=p30Ivw7hzhMyoutube thumb

Explosion Simulation at a haunted house that I thought was cool.
No.401930
Anonymous
Now that I've got my superfast new internet, I'm having a hard time finding places that even provide enough download speed to fully use it. Even Steam caps my download at 6MB/s. Weirdly enough, the highest I've gotten so far was 8.8 on PSN, which I thought was supposed to be notoriously slow.
Replies:>>402286
save file
image:144618070900.png(9kB , 688x92 , youtube red.png)
I was checking my youtube earnings (one dollar yay) and saw "Youtube Red" mentioned. I googled and found pic related.

>lets you view youtube without ads
Just use adblock
>download videos to watch offline
Just use firefox extensions or iPhone downloader apps
>something about music
use other sites literally made for this

I don't spend much money, but this is something I will never pay for.
No.402286
Anonymous
Replies:>>402338
>>402281
They will probably pay off the Adblock guys and/or threaten legal action if they don't disable it while on Youtube. Same thing for the downloading videos thing, they might threaten to take those sites down. I don't understand the music thing though.
No.402338
DudeWithMoney !SFwR6DnH/Y
>>402286

If they were able/interested in doing that, they would have done so years ago.
No.402384
Anonymous
>"You must restart to apply these changes" shows up when I didn't change anything but had just switched accounts
>shows up again when I switch back
This is not reassuring.
No.402420
Tora Dora !n0CyHpL66I
Replies:>>402422
So, is Windows 7 ruined? I heard about Microsoft updating 7 and 8 with their spooky Windows 10 shit. I recently reinstalled from my recovery drive, and somehow it auto-updated and rewrote over my original, 2011 version. I've manually removed/switched off the features, but I'm seriously contemplating installing Gentoo now.
No.402422
Anonymous
>>402420
You can uninstall the Windows 10 stuff updates and mark the updates as hidden to avoid having them installed. Though I won't blame you for switching to avoid problems we might not even know about.
No.402556
Tora Dora !n0CyHpL66I
Great...so now I don't have the key to microsoft office anymore. HP don't have it. Windows don't have it. Can anyone recommend a good free office suite?
No.402572
Anonymous
Replies:>>402573
>>402556
Open Office seems like the most obvious recommendation here.
No.402573
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
>>402572

Yup. I use that and have never missed using MSOffice (mainly Word, but still).
No.402635
Anonymous
Fuck printers. Nothing but troubles with them. And as an extension of that, fuck places that won't accept e-mail.
No.402638
Anonymous
Replies:>>402684
>>402556
Google docs! Super reliable. I use em for everything!
No.402684
Anonymous
>>402638
I do for everything except storing notes that involve formulae. Google sucks at that.
No.402689
Tora Dora !n0CyHpL66I
I ended up downloading libre office. It's not as pretty as word, but the price is right.
Replies:>>402733
save file
image:144790214400.png(10kB , 1091x402 , what.png)
YouTube had a interface change and it didn't suck??? Am I in the bizarro verse?
Replies:>>402740
>>402731
Wait what? What changed?
Replies:>>402747
save file
image:144790644000.png(2kB , 630x55 , Capture.PNG)
>>402733
In the subscrition mode it organizes new uploads by Today, Yesterday, This week, etc. And you can view them in a grid instead of just a list.
No.402747
Anonymous
>>402740
They did make real-time analytics look a lot worse IMO (smaller display for individual videos) but overall not too bad.
save file
image:144831812200.png(40kB , 601x547 , shutdown log.png)
>still haven't gotten a fan splitter for this desktop
>can't even run a full scan with Microsoft Security Essentials without it shutting down the computer
>not even when running in safe mode from the command prompt
Dunno if this is even caused by the heat problem or some dumb malware that doesn't like full scans, looked at the log of recent shutdowns and don't know what to make of it.
No.402853
Mister Twister
I was thinking of maybe getting Flash again, but their downloads page only has the old outdated version. Does Adobe Flash really cost money now?
No.402855
Anonymous
Replies:>>402859
>>402853
>now
It has for years. Possibly try Macromedia Flash 8 (don't know if free, much less features) or pirate CS6 using the amtlib.dll infinite trial hack or a serial.
No.402859
Mister Twister
Replies:>>402861
>>402855
So..... no official way to get a new version of Flash for free?
No.402861
Anonymous
Replies:>>402866
>>402859
You mean... the thing for displaying web stuff on your browser?

Or the vector drawing programme people used to make videos on newgrounds?
No.402862
Anonymous
>>402853
The player is free, the editor is not.
Note that if you jut need something that compiles to Flash, there's Haxe and Swifmill.
No.402866
Mister Twister
>>402861
The player that plays stuff.
No.402881
Anonymous
>>402866
Ah.

I know it's inbuilt in Chrome (unless something changed), and possibly is in Firefox since I don't recall a separate download. For offline stuff, just open with the browser.
No.402882
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>402888
>>402866

The Flash Player plugin has always been free. You’ll need to download the plugin for Firefox (and possibly for Chrome), but that’s a free download and anyone who says otherwise is lying to you.
No.402888
Mister Twister
>>402882
It's the fact Adobe's page has the 2 months old outdated version available only. I can recognize that .dmg anywhere.
No.403022
The Sneaky Tiki
Anyone know a good windows alternative to wavtap?
No.403036
Anonymous
>>403022
Put a headphone splitter in your sound output jack, then use an audio cable to connect one of the outputs to the mic input?
No.403037
Anonymous
>>403022
Audacity
save file
image:145035011500.png(99kB , 770x420 , the legendary fox OH MY GOD reaction image.png)
After upgrading (with a crash for good measure) to Firefocks 43, all videos on all sites stopped working. I tried (almost) everything, including deleting and reinstalling the browser. Nothing worked.

And then I tried the last resort, which is deleting the browser AND manually getting rid of all preferences folders semi-hidden on Apple systems in semi-secret folders. This kind of manual full cleanup takes some time and is frustrating, but at least I was able to 100% delete all Firefox-related things from my system.

Restarted computer, and reinstalled Firefox AGAIN.

Videos were now fixed.

Mozilla needs to release an automatic "uninstall Firefox, all preferences, all bookmarks, and all add-ons" script. Would save people some time.

Speaking of the NOW WORKING THANK YOU SO MUCH update, 43.0 is noticeably faster and snappier.
No.403518
The Sneaky Tiki
Replies:>>403541
New computer is an absolute joy, thanks to everyone who helped.
No.403540
Anonymous
Why do all cracks have a soundtrack? Not complaining, this one is ok.
No.403541
Anonymous
No.403549
Anonymous
Replies:>>403551
VLC has the Christmas icon again!
No.403551
Mister Twister
>>403549
... and yet it still forgets the aspect ratio of DVDs when taking screenshots.
No.403552
Anonymous
>>403551

No, it takes pictures of the video at the size of its source. DVD video's native aspect ratio is 720x480.
No.403553
Tora Dora !n0CyHpL66I
Now my speakers decided to stop working. I guess I really do need a new laptop.
No.403555
Anonymous
>>403551
I just want it to stop resizing whenever I tell it to forget where I am up to. I already sent a bug notice months ago.
No.403591
Anonymous
Replies:>>403596
Holy fuck Illustrator, I just finished a whole layer of drawing and got it just about right and you crash on me? Why don't you have an autosave feature like Flash?

Now I have to try and recreate a full sized vector drawing from a 180x250 Navigator screenshot I got while it was freezing.
No.403596
Anonymous
>>403591
That sucks massive donkey balls. Drawing vectors isn't fun. Thank fuck I'm out of art school and rarely have to do that again.
No.403783
Tora Dora !n0CyHpL66I
1. Turn on laptop
2. "No bootable device--insert boot disk and press any key."

Fuck. It's dead for good now, right?
No.403799
Anonymous
>>403783

Uh...maybe. It could just be a loose connection with the hard drive. Or the hard drive could be dead.
No.403841
thatother1dude !!/PKS88+dMMc
I've got a 560Ti and a i5-2400 in my desktop. If I wanted to upgrade it, which would be more effective to replace first?
No.403842
Mister Twister
Replies:>>403856
>>403783
You need to replace the hard drive. Whether or not you can recover date from the old one is irrelevant; you NEED to get a new one immediately.
No.403850
Anonymous
Replies:>>403855
>sort the my pictures folder by type
>.gif and .jpeg images still mixed as if they were interchangeable
No, computer. No.
No.403855
Anonymous
Replies:>>403861
>>403850
Make two folders for the different file types?
No.403856
Tora Dora !n0CyHpL66I
Replies:>>403858
>>403842

Yeah I know. Might as well get a whole new one. It's been five years. I just don't want to switch to Windows 10 or have to learn Gentoo. Or spend money.
No.403858
Mister Twister
Replies:>>403860
>>403856
You can just install Mint, cause it just werks, and learn to run your Windows apps through Wine.

I plan of getting Manjaro myself, but Mint is so much easier and has better support.
No.403860
Tora Dora !n0CyHpL66I
>>403858

I'll have to try that when I get a new hard drive and/or computer. Thanks.
No.403861
Anonymous
>>403855
That woulnd't change the fact that something which worked before suddenly changed to not working without a good reason.
Looking into it further, apparently having both types set to open in paint.net by default caused it to think I wanted them grouped in a "paintnet files" type.
A tenuous correlation, and though the problem is worked around by having gifs open in a different program I'd prefer software that doesn't expect me to accept such a trend toward making things more presumptuous. Fortunately, there are some projects that aren't going in that direction, so I'll try keep an eye on them.
No.404053
Anonymous
Replies:>>404055
Turns out I'm not only moving to a better place, but also to an area with better internet coverage. Now I need to decide wether I want 100Mbit/s with no cap for 20 bucks or 200Mbit/s with a monthly cap of 1TB for 25.
No.404055
Slowpoke
>>404053
What on earth
I pay 50 for 20 Mb/s
No.404056
Anonymous
Replies:>>404070
>>404055
Our Secretary of Transport and Infrastructure here in Germany promised fiber optic internet in the entire country. Looks like he's actually working on it.
No.404058
Anonymous
>>404055
About the same, no cap. Running internet TV, two laptops and a gaming desktop on it with no lag.

I have no idea what you'd use 100Mbit/s considering most servers couldn't even respond to that fully, that shit is only useful for offices with hundreds of computers.
No.404059
Anonymous
I think you're confusing bit with byte here.
No.404070
Anonymous
>>404056
That's cool, something Telecoms in the US were paid to do decades ago. Yea whole lotta progress on that. Hope he keeps those he employs to do it to a strict time table and doesn't let them bullshit.
No.404171
Mister Twister
Replies:>>404244
A really smart guy explaining the whole 4K bullshit:
//youtube.com/watch?v=aOlYYV1fMTsyoutube thumb
No.404204
Anonymous
So this past Christmas, I got a Kano: http://us.kano.me/ It's a little computer thing for teaching children about computery stuff, and I figure it'd be a nice little machine for coding on Linux without haivng to deal with dual booting, virtual machines or whatever. For some reason you can easily break the video settings. For some reaosn there's only the option to flip the display and a menu that combines all the other options into a big list. So to change the resolution you also need to know what refresh rate the monitor has, unless you just leave the setting at "automatic".

I wanted a lower resolution for reading better on the small screen you make with the screen kit, but there was no indication as to what the current refresh rate was. I figured I could just guess, and if I got it wong there'd be somethig to keep the whole computer from being broken. I mean, it is made for children three and up so I don't think it ought to break just from a video setting change. Incidentally, I thought a big thing about Linux was that you don't need to reboot for things, but it makes you reboot to change video settings?

But not only does Kano nee dot reboot to alter video settings, it also just leaves you with a black screen if the settings don't work, leaving you unable to see what you're doing to go into the settinga again to change them back. So this morning I got the Kano to use safe mode by putting a the drive in my desktop and going into a config file.

That made the monitor work at all, but now it won't start the desktop and just keeps rebooting itself after showing the command prompt and running a script in the background that presumably tries to laod the desktop and reboots when it realises it's in safe mode.. So now I'll go looking up information on what else I can try to get this toy to actually work again.
No.404244
Anonymous
>>404171
>Watch for 2 minutes
Jesus what an asshole.
No.404452
Mister Twister
No matter how many times I check Arch Linux's web site, it's NEVER down. Never.

Good job, people who run it.
save file
image:145531602800.jpg(83kB , 640x635 , image.jpg)
Facebook app doesn't have a "delete documents and data" setting and my old mobile doesn't get Apple updates anymore so I can't re-download it.

I'm finally going back to browser version because its taking up 2 GB of the dismal < 8GB storage

Maybe I should get a new phone.
save file
image:145637893200.png(10kB , 290x92 , fuckinghell.png)
>facebook now has like, love, haha, wow, sad, angry
why.
No.404743
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
>>404742

I wonder how long it’ll take Twitter to ape this.
No.404755
Anonymous
>computer crashes
>restart
>computer decides to do that long-ass disk check thing
>press any key to abort within 10 seconds
>mash entire keyboard, but the computer doesn't detect the keyboard during that think for some unknown reason
Looks like I'm on mobile for the next hour
No.404758
Anonymous
>>404742
To better collect analytics.
Specifically, on questions like whether the public actually approves something or just gives it a lot of attention.
Replies:>>404768
save file
image:145653543400.jpg(177kB , 960x720 , image.jpg)
>>404755
haha this sucks

I think the BSOD froze too
No.404768
Anonymous
>>404755
>>404765
Alright, I think it's fixed now.

After a few crashes, two different Blue Screens and a little bit of messing around, I have come to the conclusion that the cause was........
a fucking .ogv file from encyclopedia dramatica. it didn't even need to be opened and it still caused fatal crashes after a few minutes of logging on. deleted it and now the computer is running fine
No.404961
Anonymous
So windows 10. I like that it actually looks like a desktop over 8.1 but before I upgrade what are the ways to defang all of windows 10 intrusive nonsense. This is my work and gaming lappy not the home base Surfer which is staying with 7.
No.405045
Anonymous
Replies:>>405046
>>404961
>what are the ways to defang all of windows 10 intrusive nonsense
Really, you either need to get over your paranoia or you need to stick with 7. There are ways to turn off some of the features, but Windows 10 is never going to be intrusion-free.
No.405046
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
>>405045

>you either need to get over your paranoia or you need to stick with 7

Or install gentoo. Heh.
save file
image:145764924100.png(62kB , 594x397 , 1320358300684.png)
>>404961
I'm on a similar situation right now.
Spybot Anti-Beacon dosn't defang W10 but tell it to not bite.
https://github.com/Nummer/Destroy-Windows-10-Spying declaws and defangs W10 as far as I know because it hasn't updated in a while.

Also unplug your compoter from the internet and preferibly use a pirated copy of w10.
When installing it run a custom installation and and turn off everything that looks suspicious.
No.405054
Anonymous
Replies:>>405491
How about white spots on ips panels? Don't know how it got there but I've got one on the lower left corner of my laptop. I've heard it's caused by pressure from the back panel behind the LEDs
No.405481
Anonymous
http://techcrunch.com/2016/03/24/microsoft-silences-its-new-a-i-bot-tay-after-twitter-users-teach-it-racism/

There is a lesson here.
No.405491
Anonymous
>>405054
This old touch-phone has grey spots on the top left. It's water that got in the recently cracked glass. They move a little bit.
No.405492
Anonymous
>>405481
Haven't they heard of cleverbot before?
No.405501
Anonymous
>>405481
And here I had just recently written down some of my ideas on chatbot making that were initially centered around exactly that sort of problem. I should go ahead and finish it up, then put it on the internet somehwhere.
No.405935
Anonymous
Your fortune: Bad Luck

>need to downsize some videos
>have two tools, Freemake converter and Handbrake converter
>Handbrake is excellent, options galore
>Freemake has next to no options, but allows length cropping of videos
I halved the length of a 40 min video using Freemake and the file was larger once completed. Thats how bad the encoding is. I have a shit computer and I'm going for a low file size so some videos are taking an hour in Handbrake.
So if I want to crop and compress a video, I need to convert it in Freemake and then convert it again in Handbrake.

fug
No.406018
Anonymous
From a porn comic thread:
>"Jpeg is also a lossy filetype, and tends to lose fidelity with subsequent distributions. A 'fresh' jpeg might look fine, but once it's been copied and transfered a few times pixels start to take on the wrong colors and things become blotchy and mishapen."

I don't think its a troll either.
No.406025
Slowpoke
Replies:>>406026
>>406018
Uh...yes?
No.406026
Anonymous
>>406018
Maybe not an attempt at trolling by that user, but it was made as an easily spread urban legend to troll people.

>>406025
The deception is that it glosses over the part where a jpg only gets blurrier when it's modified and re-saved, rather than each time you move the whole file. A similar troll rumor exists for mp3s which claims that they somehow degrade over time.
No.406028
Anonymous
If you have any interesting work hosted on a university website, please have a mirror of it somewhere else and have people link to it. because there is an exceedingly high likelyhood that it's going to be removed soon after you're no longer enrolled.
No.406084
Anonymous
Well, the computer's making noises and freezing every so often. Time to back up everything.
Replies:>>406285
save file
image:146112829500.png(226kB , 620x670 , 1459828548043.png)
>computer is freezing again
>song playing comes up to the word "really"
>FREEZE, MOTHERFUCKER
>"re-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e"
>mfw my computer is a robot
No.406280
Anonymous
Holy fuck this government education site has shit design

>cant enter custom security question
ok sure
>when you forget your six digit PIN and have to reset, you need to select the correct security question you picked and the answer
If i've forgotten the password, what makes you think I remember the fucking security QUESTION?
save file
image:146175036800.png(8kB , 726x213 , goddamn I suck.png)
Update: got into the account.

No, I wouldn't have guessed it.
No.406285
Mister Twister
>>406144
>using exact percentage to measure volume on YouTube
Just..... why.
No.406380
Anonymous
Replies:>>406382
Long exposure is the comfiest photography setting.
No.406382
Anonymous
Replies:>>406422
>>406380
Enjoying the west coast weather?
No.406422
Anonymous
>>406382
East coast of Australia? It's ok...
No.406451
Anonymous
Crossfade.io is good technology.
http://crossfade.io/#!/tem1321gvz
No.406500
Anonymous
Replies:>>406502
>all of /tek/
>this entire fucking thread

There is no valid reason to own a desktop personal computer in this day and age.

If you absolutely need to have a computer, you can use any cloud computing netbook.
If you want to play games or browse the internet, every cellphone has this option, and if you don't like that just use Steam on any cloud computing netbook as well.

The environment is a beautiful thing. Desktops are tools specifically meant designed for obsolescence and environmental destruction. It's unbelievable that people today still think consumers should have an option of buying something that wrecks the planet for the rest of us. You're not a programmer, you're never going to be.

I'm literally screaming with laughter at all you wanna be faux haxxor idiots. you will never be able to hack someone because our police force will stop you.
No.406502
Mister Twister
Replies:>>406503
>>406500
Spoken like a true /g/entooman!
No.406503
Anonymous
Replies:>>406505
>>406502

Look just because I was into owncloud doesn't mean I embody the negative stereotypes of people in the gentoo community.

So I threw out my PC. So I bought a netbook. So WHAT?!

From my experience it's a HUGE improvement for anyone who has a decent internet connection, after just a few moments of using it I was saying to my self "this is the future", "this is the future", "this is the future". That line just couldn't stop going through my head, I had trouble sleeping that night because of it.
No.406505
Mister Twister
Replies:>>406506
>>406503
Everyone who derive their happiness from the idea that they are somehow more progressive, and live in the future more than the other peasants, are worthy to be laughed at.

You are a fooking elitist snob. Technology to you is not the means of getting stuff done the way you want; to you technology is a means of feeling superior to other people.

Not even replying to you again, anon.
No.406506
Slowpoke
Replies:>>406507
>>406505
j o k e s
No.406507
Mister Twister
>>406506
You cannot tell if someone is joking online every time.

Typed words aren't spoken with any voice.
save file
image:146259628400.jpg(115kB , 875x807 , dsfaefdsaafgds.jpg)
why is google black? just me?
No.406585
Anonymous
Huh, didnt think it'd work, but it did. Broken locked SD cards can be fixed by taping over the gap where the lock-slider is. Thanks, internet!
No.406616
Anonymous
>just started getting into making a neat program in Smilebasic on the 3DS
>lose the charger
>just started getting back to drawing regularly and getting used to my Wacom tablet
>graphics card dies
No.406925
Anonymous
Had a run-in with the Locky virus at work today. That's some nasty fucking shit. Thank fuck our hard drives are locked on a hardware level.
save file
image:146434943100.png(25kB , 512x580 , easter egg.png)
>use "view source" as a workaround for many sites that require login to download
>found this
cool. luckily I already had a login.
No.407033
Anonymous
HOLY SHIT I CAN GET INTO MY BROKEN PHONE, FINALLY

I've been trying for ages. This is the last stand.
No.407130
TeethandHunger
http://www.coinopexpress.com/products/pcbs.html

I see the brain of the arcade games here, but I can't understand how to make them work.

If I got one, how would I make them go?
save file
image:146512126700.png(171kB , 470x348 , why was this a fucking bmp.png)
I fixed a bug by removing a .dll out of the program's Program Files folder.
Replies:>>407324
save file
image:146581365300.png(350kB , 1010x890 , what was wrong with the old site.png)
for fucks sake, YouTube
No.407324
Anonymous
Replies:>>407336
>>407303
There are people whose job it is to make new layouts.

They want to keep their jobs, so they're going to keep working.

This does not necessarily mean they work well.
No.407336
Alpharius on the move
Replies:>>407341
>>407324
But on the flipside; bad results have a tendency to result in the sub-par employee being fired or other stuff. Maybe the Google overlords, or youtube itself, have a revolving door policy in regards to youtube layout.
No.407341
Mister Twister
Replies:>>407349
>>407336
Or maybe the house is run by retards, because the 5 star rating system was the best one YouTube had, and now it's Facebook 1.5
Replies:>>407350
save file
image:146596646200.jpg(31kB , 905x311 , pretty shit graph for a company that big.jpg)
>>407341
They were annoyed that people mostly just used the 1 and 5 star ratings, so they replaced it with just up and down.
save file
image:146596706200.png(24kB , 516x476 , 7 out of 10 is average.png)
>>407349
By the way, according to that graph the average vote was 4.6 stars
No.407365
Anonymous
Replies:>>407375
I created an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of my finances today. I'm a fucking adult.
save file
image:146612812600.png(118kB , 624x468 , maturity juice.png)
>>407365
Nice, bro.

Bought my first litre of whiskey. Tastes good, man.
No.407402
Alpharius
Are there any good youtube alternatives yet?
save file
image:146646581800.jpg(64kB , 604x558 , shits_on_fire.jpg)
I finally have those funds to upgrade my computer. I hope that my power supply lasts for longer than a year this time.
No.407466
Anonymous
Wondering if I should finally build a computer. This one is making noises again.

>>407402
Do dailymotion or vimeo count?
No.407467
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>409455
>>407402

>Are there any good youtube alternatives yet?

Any other such site doesn’t come close to having YouTube’s cultural reach and is thus destined to be seen as “lesser”. YouTube came into the world at the exact right time to achieve its dominance, and until someone does YouTube better than YouTube (improbable but not impossible), YouTube is the only non-streaming video site that matters.
No.407484
Anonymous
Replies:>>407737
>>407402
Vimeo's pretty good for original content.
save file
image:146700263400.jpg(90kB , 620x458 , oh baby.jpg)
Finally got myself these babies.

I'd call them the most neutral and natural sounding (°_°)phone for their Amazon price of 100$. Properly amped, they handle bass like a champ (except the deepest bass, and that is not even music).
No.407737
Mister Twister
Replies:>>408158
>>407484
Vimeo is like YouTube, but......... way better. Because they have something called "quality control".
save file
image:146709798200.png(67kB , 776x240 , it keeps going up by 2 pages per second.png)
fug

I'll just power-off if it goes past 10/10 pages
No.408158
Anonymous
>>407737
In that case, I want Youtube but worse.
No.408453
Anonymous
Replies:>>408456
Oh good. I plugged in my 3DS and it's not charging.
No.408456
Anonymous
>>408453
Yet for some reason a spare alarm clock I haven't used in years mysteriously revives itself the same night?
save file
image:146970688100.png(248kB , 1096x732 , diplugem.png)
I'm happy I decided to run a scan: found this baby ("Diplugem", adware)

Some bits of it were pretty smart: it adjusts the links for the ads in google searches (I was wondering why my hosts file was blocking the connection again), and it installs extensions to your browser with the installation date a year earlier than when you got the malware, and adjusts the browser to stop updating.

Just one flaw: I don't have accounts called Administrator and Guest. (I uninstalled Torch years ago and had never heard of Dragon (by Comodo)). [To be fair, it installed on every other account too]
No.408622
Anonymous
Replies:>>408624
Really I can't just be bothered with W10.
No.408624
Anonymous
>>408622
Good. It's confirmed for malicious spyware.

Even if you opt out of settings, it does the shit anyway.
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Windows_10
No.408627
Anonymous
>>408624

>Lets be more like Apple and just have our OS updates done for the systems like they do.

>Lets also have it data mine the fuck out of the users systems and sell that data to "enhance" their "experience".

>Gotta make profit somewhere if this is going to be "Free".
No.408629
Anonymous
>>408624

It's kinda funny to me how most people all up in arms about this shit probably still use google products constantly.
No.408635
Anonymous
>>408629
Don't think anyone actually does anything on a google device. Least I hope not. Also least they don't try to trick you into doing the update to the next system by a variety of methods.
No.408637
Mister Twister
Replies:>>408645
>>408629
Google monopolized half the Internet, and the search engine business.
No.408644
Anonymous
>>408629
you got me. chrome, default search, emails and youtube + adsense. Not on my next computer though, only youtube and emails, and might ween off those too
No.408645
Anonymous
>>408637
And all that from a search engine. They played their cards right.

Google.com was the second site I ever looked up, after goggle.com because I couldn't spell when I was eight.
save file
image:147003024400.png(360kB , 1680x1016 , tv.png)
hahaha, used a randomised browser agent spoofer on FireFox and wondered why youtube was acting all weird.

Now I see why there's an option for only faking to be a random type of desktop device.
No.408940
Anonymous
So what's a good email service for a person setup up a Streaming production?
No.409455
Anonymous
Replies:>>409456
>>407467
Not the same person you were talking with, but when I ask about alternatives to Youtube, I'm not asking for advice on what businesses are a sound financial investment. I'm asking for any any all technically similar video sharing services that I could investigate on my own time and consider hosting videos on. To me, "good" would mostly mean "able to handle the amount of traffic I expect to get", and maybe "with a monitization policy that has some transparency".

Personally, I was curious about blip.tv but didn't look into it much because for the longest time it seemed like they were pushing for a very particular style of high budget drama that I just wasn't interested in watching, much less eager or able to produce. Then by the time I found out about it hosting a wider variety of shows it was already declaring that it would close down. Whether or not any attempt at rivaling Youtube appears unviable, I want to know whatever I can about them, because to deliberately refrain from spreading word of mouth about websites that lack cultural reach is to enforce a self-fulfilling prophecy of failure upon them.
No.409456
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>409460
>>409455

Oh, I’m not suggesting that you avoid looking for non-YouTube sites—or that you avoid spreading word about them. Alls I was saying is that no other video site is yet in the position to topple YouTube from its throne as “king of the video websites”. No current alternative to YouTube will have the recognition or traffic levels that YouTube does, and that should always be a factor when you’re looking into those alternatives.

(Being able to host your own content independent of any site or service such as YouTube is the best alternative, though.)
No.409460
Anonymous
>>409456
Yeah, that's true, espeically the last part about hosting independantly. It's just that on a personal level it can be hard to hnadle the bandwidtch of having somewht popular video and then you also have to look for advertisers yourself. If I make something myself I guess it'll probably go on Newgrounds though, being that they allow non-flash stuff now and it's still unlikely I could meet that high of a quality standard.

Was also thinking Cartoon Hangover is oddly big for something that relies on Yotube, but now they just announced that they're moving to something called VRV which will also be taking up Roosterteeth and Crunchyroll? I just hope it doens't require a smartphone, because I'm using some dumb carrier-rebranded LG thing that I grabbed to get the cheapest thing that let me share a phone plan with my mom.
No.409509
Anonymous
Installed my first linux distro.

Yay!
No.409518
Slowmobile
Replies:>>409529
>>409509
What flavor?
Mint was always my favorite.
No.409528
Mister Twister
Replies:>>409529
>>409509
Lucky you. I am having problems with either a corrupted ISO or corrupted thumb drive.

All I want is to boot once off a stick, just to see if it can be done, and yet failure is the only result.
No.409529
Anonymous
Replies:>>409590
>>409518
Mint as well. It's nice.

>>409528
I got a regular USB, torrented the distro through official website's torrent, used "Rufus" to put the ISO on the USB and booted it up. Worked fine.

Where's it going wrong?
save file
image:147357778500.jpg(314kB , 1280x956 , oh look, kernel panic!.jpg)
>>409529
I actually took a photo, so here.
No.409682
Anonymous
Replies:>>409689
>try to install blustacks on my laptop
>"You have Bit Defender already installed, so fuck you"
>try to find Bit Defender
>it's not there
>okay, might as well try to install ag-
>"I SAID YOU HAVE BIT DEFENDER, SO FUCK YOU!"
Little help?
No.409689
Anonymous
>>409682
also consider /g/ board's /sqt/

Did you ever have bit defender at any point?
save file
image:147807293300.png(1.30MB , 1920x1080 , delocalised sea of files.png)
Finally making a backup (out of necessity) and I'm now sorting though >2000 unsorted files in my Pictures and Downloads folder so I can start out organised.

Mistakes were made.
No.410735
Alpharius
http://i.imgur.com/S8GntGh.gifv
Holograms
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2029950924/holovect-holographic-vector-display
save file
image:148020817200.png(156kB , 1584x908 , adobereader.greentext.png)
Why the hell did my family's backup drive have 95 of each of the four Adobe Reader update .exe's?
No.411512
Mister Twister
Replies:>>411536
For the first time in my life dragged a single window into another window, between 2 open tabs, in Firefox.

I am officially a pro at web browsing now.
save file
image:148032952300.png(257kB , 3000x2584 , dumb CS graduate meme.png)
>>411512
Pipelining is great. It's lovely to see when a program does it.

I finally used the line of code "while 1 > 0" in a program. Pretty sure that makes me pic related.
save file
image:148040607200.png(39kB , 167x167 , Vita is sexy.png)
For the longest time I thought buying a PS Vita was a mistake.

Only now do I realize it really wasn't. Cause once you crack the device, it opens up a lot of opportunities, for example to eventually, theoretically, port the PS2, PSP, and PS1 emulators on the device, and play all those great games anywhere you are!
save file
image:148042576600.png(70kB , 610x972 , Teri-ble.png)
Well, I apparently have 68 GB of Teri fan art on my 4GB USB. Who knew.

(probably due to Linux laptop going to sleep during transfer)

edit:there were only five small images
No.411590
Anonymous
//youtube.com/watch?v=kKrldp3j7hQyoutube thumb These cute litte robot donkeys.
No.411619
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>411627
Why is there no plaintext editor (Notepad++, Sublime Text, etc.) that can handle filetype associations as separate files rather than lumping multiple filetypes into one specific file association? If media player programs can do it, why can't a fucking text editor?
No.411627
Anonymous
Replies:>>411628
Their really ought to be a service that's just "download and update a special fallback font for handling emoji or other special characters that otherwise just render as boxes".

>>411619
Convenience, aka "shoving everything together into a disorganized lump". As for why the disparity, I guess customization is just higher on the lsit of what people think of when looking for media players, while with text editors it's just an image of a forum argument over which one is the best ever that everyone ought to switch to right now.
No.411628
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
>>411627

>Convenience, aka "shoving everything together into a disorganized lump".

Except it's pretty fucking inconvenient to have CSS files, text files, and other plaintext-editable files lumped into a single filetype, given a single icon, and be named a single way in file details (e.g., "Notepad++ File"). In Windows 10, it's nigh impossible to correct the problem without extensive registry edits that may not even stick. Like I said, a lot of media player program can do the "separate icons for separate filetypes" thing - Foobar does it, MPC-HC does it - so why can't a fucking text editor get it done?
No.411670
Anonymous
2016 was a nice looking year in binary (11111100000)
save file
image:148127420000.png(4kB , 574x90 , r9k can into g.png)
fuckin' /r9k/ man
save file
image:148134810300.jpg(39kB , 636x263 , greased lightning.jpg)
>tfw new build
No.412221
Anonymous
Justo letting you all know I'm posting from my first smart phone
Autocorrect is a bitch.
save file
image:148663609300.png(35kB , 564x565 , IM DISPROPORTIONATELY MAD.png)
WHAT THE FUCK NVIDYA, WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU MAKE BLACK NOT FUCKING BLACK BY DEFAULT.

or is it mozilla/youtube's fault? ('With the video player's settings') I was playing 1080p and the blacks were grey as heck while the border room was actual black. Did this and now black is back.
save file
image:148680736100.png(2kB , 252x84 , yt.png)
new button on youtube (or at least I hadn't seen it before)

at least they are self aware
save file
image:149085146400.png(173kB , 417x413 , rf angry woman.png)
We better not lose ALL of our privacy. The government must not be allowed to get away with this.

(for the uninformed, a bill may get signed soon that allows ISPs to sell all your browsing history to the highest bidder)
No.414390
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
>>414389

Sorry, MT, but you can expect Ol’ 45 to sign that shit as soon as it hits his desk.
No.414391
Anonymous
Replies:>>414394
>>414389
If you are not exaggerating, then that is an insane fucking bill and I'm suddenly glad again that I do not live in the US.

Maybe this will be enough to re-ignite internet activism. Hopefully some /b/tards figure out a useful Operation.
No.414393
Anonymous
Replies:>>414394
>>414389
Americans need to demand full privacy, not just from their ISPs but from individual websites like facebook.
Collecting users data should be illegal altogether.
No.414394
Mister Twister
Replies:>>414397
>>414393
The problem is, a lot of the "evil people" who want to steal your information are also very smart. And fighting smart people is hard as fuck.

>>414391
We need to weaponize autism. Capturing Shia Lebeof's flag was only training, it's time to get serious.
No.414397
Anonymous
Replies:>>414401
>>414394
>We need to weaponize autism. Capturing Shia Lebeof's flag was only training, it's time to get serious.
/pol/ is not going to save, they rather clap at the big corporation profeeting more off the common man
No.414400
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Twitter went and fucked its interface so hard that I decided to try Mastodon. Despite lacking a few features that makes Twitter more useable (word filters, indications of a reply chain), it also has a few features that Twitter does not have (a Content Warning option that basically acts like a spoiler tag, per-post privacy settings). I like it better than Twitter already.
No.414401
Mister Twister
>>414397
>/pol/ will approve of big corporations profiting of common people
Finding it hard to believe that /pol/ would support big corporations [i]ever.]/i]
No.414402
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>414403
http://blog.emojipedia.org/final-2017-emoji-list/

All the new emoji coming later this year.
save file
image:149092463500.png(83kB , 948x459 , Capture.PNG)
>>414402
The absolute madpeople.
save file
image:149301815100.jpg(53kB , 960x544 , Ratchet WHOA.jpg)
>just found out Shift+tab switches you to the PREVIOUS window
No.414618
Anonymous
When will it be socially acceptable to be scared of Google?
No.414620
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
>>414618

It isn't?
No.414622
Alpharius a go go
Replies:>>414714
save file
image:149394423500.jpg(95kB , 950x343 , GIMPers at Montserrat.jpg)
https://www.gimp.org/news/2017/03/01/an-interview-with-michael-natterer-gimp-maintainer/

URL is self-explanatory.
No.414712
Mister Twister
I don't know how reliable TorrentFreak is as a news source, but.......
https://torrentfreak.com/10-years-in-jail-for-internet-pirates-now-reality-in-the-uk-170501/
No.414714
Anonymous
>>414711
I thought you had the wrong thread for a minute
save file
audio:149406666700.mp3(5.40MB / 02:29s / 299kbps , 48kHz / Ren and Stimpy - Tom Fool.mp3)
After a few months I've figured out why the album art wasn't showing on my Galaxy S6.

If a song has an album art but no album, it won't display the album art.
No.414725
Anonymous
Cable and sattelite providers utilize receivers that provide a menu of channels, which included abbreviatinos fo channel names. However, they don't let you sort the channel alphabetically by their abbreviation, and their search features only let you look for shows rather than channel names. This makes looking up a specific channel to see if you have it and if so what shows it's airing needlessly complicated.
Replies:>>414849
save file
image:149524853200.png(20kB , 548x192 , no_replies.png)
No, YouTube. That comment does not have no replies.
No.414849
Mister Twister
>>414847
Considering everyone on the planet is uploading everything to YouTube, I am amazed the site still functions.
No.414868
Mister Twister
Could not update VLC, not matter how many times I tried. And the new version is already out. Had to manually re-download (and manually delete all the preference files).

Why.
No.414885
Anonymous
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/05/the-a-eon-amiga-x5000-reviewed-the-beloved-amiga-meets-2017
Another comptuer that I want to have but probably won't be in production by the time I get around to deciding I need a new computer.
No.414898
Anonymous
My IP finally changed!
No.415006
Anonymous
Consider this: A device that just tried to ping a server every few minutes, and if it can't it power cycles your modem for you.
Replies:>>415062
save file
image:149766408900.png(12kB , 394x178 , title.png)
How long has this been a thing?

Who has access to it?
No.415062
Anonymous
>>415061
To clarify, I mean the yellow shadowed title. It's a reference to the video's content, but how did they get it?
save file
image:149818004500.jpg(145kB , 600x391 , 1268441719493.jpg)
I've never been a big font person. I always felt that Time New Roman, Arial or Calibri were the only fonts that I would use in a serious fashion. Thinking too much about fonts always felt like too much work. Just use something that people can read or doesn't make you look like you know nothing. But I finally found a font that I legitimately like; Courier New.
No.415108
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>415110
>>415107

Consolas is superior.
No.415110
Mister Twister
Replies:>>415112
>>415108
Baskerville is the best.
No.415111
Anonymous
>>415107
Whenever I see a 4chan screencap with Times New Roman, I'm surprised to see it was taken in this decade.

Some kid kept talking to me about Euphemia, and I can't say he was wrong.

Stone is very right, but The One True Font (System 8x12) will always be something special.
No.415112
Anonymous
>>415110
>Baskerville is the best.
Just looked that up, and fuark mate. Nice.
Replies:>>415286
save file
image:149965344100.jpg(23kB , 352x288 , 3041- Hard Drive Courage.avi_snapshot_10.10_[2014.10.15_19.58.14].jpg)
You can preview youtube videos by hovering over the preview picture!!

Still waiting for a feature so I can organize my subscriptions tho.
No.415286
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>415287
>>415285

>You can preview youtube videos by hovering over the preview picture!!

Since when? I only ever see a static thumbnail.
No.415287
Alpharius a go go
Replies:>>415288
>>415286
It's been in the works for a while and I just noticed it to day.
http://phandroid.com/2016/08/15/youtube-video-thumbnails-play-mouseosay.
And instead of going through the hassle of making a web, have a youtube link to recent evidence instead.
https://youtu.be/MwDd8lhQDKc
No.415288
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>415290
>>415287

Huh. Only works on Chrome, and the animation does not loop besides, and it only plays maybe three seconds of the video as opposed to going through small bits of the entire video like even the porn sites do…but hey, I guess it really is better than nothing.
No.415290
Anonymous
Replies:>>415291
>>415288
>Huh. Only works on Chrome, and the animation does not loop besides, and it only plays maybe three seconds of the video as opposed to going through small bits of the entire video like even the porn sites do…but hey, I guess it really is better than nothing.
All of this. I mean, no spoilers, but why would you want to preview it then anyway?
No.415291
Alpharius a go go
>>415290
For videos I am not sure I wanna watch. It also spoils joke or bait-n-switch videos.
No.415429
Anonymous
? ????'? ???? ??????? ??? ??????? ??????????.
No.415564
Anonymous
WHOA HO. Now this is what neural networking is for. How did I not know about this for two years?

http://waifu2x.udp.jp/
Source code: https://github.com/nagadomi/waifu2x

>Image Super-Resolution for Anime-style art using Deep Convolutional Neural Networks. And it supports photo.
It works on western too. I found out about this through an guy trying to upscale old CN shows frame by frame (gonna take 60 days an episode though at this rate). What a legend.
save file
image:150504087400.png(8kB , 448x209 , not what I wanted.png)
meta-search engines suck. I miss google.
save file
image:150556363900.png(8kB , 591x172 , IT'S UNDER 300.png)
Hey, I remember when youtube had that 300 views bug. That must have been fixed years ago.
save file
image:150783193400.jpg(538kB , 1440x1920 , 462f042.jpg)
save file
image:150883382700.png(1kB , 251x30 , whats worse; it's from 2011.png)
Wow that is some old stuff.
No.416376
Anonymous
So, new version of Firefox made all of my bookmarks inaccessable to force me to use their new fucking app for it. That's definitely a way to finally get me to switch to fucking Chrome.
No.416377
Anonymous
>>416376
Why one earth did I update? This firefox update is a bunch of crap.
No.416378
Mister Twister
>>416376
... or Waterfox.
>>416376
The day I can't bullshit my url bar above my tabs is the day I go on a killing spree at Mozilla headquarters.
No.416381
Anonymous
gotta agree, the new firefox is bullshit
No.416453
Anonymous
Replies:>>416455
My alarm clock has been in my possession for almost 20 years.
Today marks the first time I had to change out its batteries.
No.416455
Mister Twister
>>416453
Where did you buy ancient alien technology??
Replies:>>416619
save file
image:151179639900.png(16kB , 420x365 , cat from an indie game looks at you.png)
>you cannot just relax and listen to music without also working at the same time
People who say that need to either make concerts illegal across the globe, or shut up forever.
No.416468
Anonymous
I never knew that 4chan was originally 4chan.net

I'm going to start going through http://tanasinn.info/wiki/Complete_History_of_4chan
save file
image:151253868700.png(116kB , 1440x2560 , Screenshot_20171206-163547.png)
Nice phish. Had me fooled for 0 seconds.
No.416619
Mister Twister
>>416461
Took a week to realize this was posted in the wrong thread.
No.416628
Mister Twister
Might (not) be the right place to post this, but here is a nice summary of YouTube in 2017:
//youtube.com/watch?v=cg2stVCrmZ4youtube thumb
No.416932
Anonymous
Why nobody told me intel had a new gayming nuc? This looks good but I don't think I'll ever buy it
//youtube.com/watch?v=rOTKgvPUXN8youtube thumb
Still really cool to look at.