/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Please consider donating! Thanks!

Thread stats: 20 posts, 4 files (4 image(s))

Toggle poster info Replying to /co/418561 Close window
Options
save file
image:153302945500.png(209kB , 500x647 , Superman-Print_8x10_sm.png)
Why do Kryptonians and Humans look exactly alike?
Has this been ever covered in a story arc or something?
No.418583
Anonymous
Replies:>>444886
There's a bunch of aliens that looks like humans. Like the Thanagarians, Rannians, and Maxima's people.
No.418595
Anonymous
I understand TV (cost of SFX, CGI, etc.), but comics?
He's an ET, that evolved independently from life on a planet light-years away. What are the odds?

There's really no canon story on this? Why haven't they made one?
Star Trek explained similarities with ETs with that "planting seeds of life" story.
Replies:>>418618
>>418561
Because one of the points of Superman's character is that he might be a mighty alien, but he grew up as a Kansas farmer's kid and as Batman said once "he is more human than I ever could be". That was what the writers wanted to do with him. Take Martian Manhunter, with him, they emphasized how NOT human he is, that his guise is merely to make others not be afraid of him.
No.418618
Anonymous
>>418596

OP here. Thanks. No really: Thanks.
No.418680
Meister Tweister
>>418561
Humans are aliens.

Everyone is aliens. Even cats. I dunno, this explains everything though.
No.437375
Anonymous
>>418561
Simply plot contrivance.
No.444886
Anonymous
>>418583
I hate the shit in fiction where alien species are just "literally regular human looking people but come with natural super powers far beyond mere earthlings".

Star Trek is also an example of it, the random hodgepodge of abilities Vulcans possess are nonsensical, though they usually at least make the effort to glue some dumb shit to the actors forehead or cover them in bodypaint.
No.444933
Anonymous
>>444886
A lot of the times that's because of budget limitations. Elaborate costumes or special effects are expensive. Slapping some elf ears on a dude is not.
save file
image:166200409218.jpg(633kB , 1166x1080 , Progenitor.jpg)
>>444886
Next Gen at least tried to explain that it was because their was a Precursor race that seeded all of the planets to essentially evolve life in a way to where their sentient species would look like them. But for the original series, it was 100% because they barely had a budget.
No.444959
Anonymous
Though budget has nothing to with the fact alien cultures in Trek are always written to be ridiculously one-note.
Replies:>>446134
save file
image:166559626891.jpg(284kB , 917x601 , Daxamites_003.jpg)
>>418561
Why do Daxamites and Kryptonians look exactly alike?
And why do Daxamites get cucked by having their weakness be to something that is super common, and it doesn't just poison/depower them for a little while but takes away their superpowers permanently while giving them a terminal case of poisoning?
No.446134
Anonymous
>>446133
there was an issue that explained it, but I forgot which one, some time in the late 2000s I think, probably around the time when Supermans creators were suing DC so DC quietly started removing Superman form everywhere and for a while you had Mon-El taking Supermans role.
Basically, Krypton used to create intergalactic colonies, and Daxam was one of the worlds they colonized. Daxamites are therefore "genetic cousins" to kryptonians. I don't remember where the lead poisoning comes from though.

I think that one issue I mentioned also explains why earthlings are so much alike, but I forgot the details.
No.448277
Anonymous
Replies:>>448294
>>418561
Why are kryptonians all white.
No.448294
Mister Twister
Replies:>>448295
>>448277
Living in a mildly Sun radiated for thousands of years.
No.448295
Mister Twister
>>448294
(well, THEIR sun)
No.448341
Anonymous
>>418561
it has to do with Doomsday, you see, the original kryptonians were some kind of bird/monster/thing aliens who were very smart and lived in krypton when it was still a young planet, waaaaaaaaaay before their sun turned red. they tried to make themselves evolve into the ultimate life form that could survive anything so they started experimenting on the wild animals from krypton until they managed to make one that could self evolve every time it got killed (which later became doomsday) but things didn't went as they wanted and doomsday started killing them and since they couldn't kill it they sealed him away and started experimenting with other animals until they created an incredible super creature, the human looking kryptonians, who were super strong, basically unkillable and pretty smart and tame, and so they still wanted to experiment on them even further, so they went around the universe seeding planets with those "human" things and see how they evolved in specific planets, thus many human looking species started populating the universe and some gained incredible power and other, like earth humans, barely had any good development, but apparently humans have a very basic DNA and are prone to sudden evolution, which later was known as the metahuman gene, also earth humans can interbreed with other aliens from the same lineage as kryptonians.
No.448342
Anonymous
>>448341
and, uh, in which comic was this explained?
I know the one where they show Doomsday to be a child who gets slaughtered, cloned, then slaughtered again for 30 years in an attempt to force evolution. But not the rest.
save file
image:167966659332.png(783kB , 1024x576 , Birdy are you okay.png)
>>448341
>it's not that altans look like humans, it's humans who look like altans