/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Please consider donating! Thanks!

Thread stats: 44 posts, 14 files (13 image(s), 1 video(s))

Toggle poster info Replying to /co/230889 Close window
Options
save file
image:141403786900.png(50kB , 932x278 , HAIL HYDRA.png)
Marvel Thread #2 NOW ENTERING ULTRON COUNTRY edition
//youtube.com/watch?v=tmeOjFno6Doyoutube thumb
save file
video:141403855800.webm(2.30MB , 1920x800 , HULKBUSTAH.webm)
U BEST B READY 4 DA HULKBUSTER
save file
image:141404571900.jpg(52kB , 1023x425 , B0m48w6CUAAA-sN.jpg)
Everything about this movie will be beautiful.
Replies:>>230946
save file
image:141418555200.jpg(503kB , 900x1366 , tumblr_ndyvzd531e1u25b0bo1_1280.jpg)
I wanted this book to be awesome.

I wanted it to succeed so goddamn much.

So it really, really hurts me to say this: holy shit what the fuck happened she hasn’t looked this bad since her first appearance
No.230946
Anonymous
Replies:>>230947
>>230945
I like it. The style fits her character, and while the design is a change-up from the direction she's been going in the last few years, I don't think it's unsuitable to the character.
No.230947
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>230971
>>230946

The underlying design itself, I have no issue with. (I even think the jacket's a great touch.) But the art style…yeesh. I wanted to want this book, but that art style is making me have second thoughts.
No.230962
Jumpman
What I really like about Marvel is that it will put out books that don't look like a typical superhero book. So, I have no qualm with Squirrel Girl looking cartoony. I welcome this more than the 90s style guide DC won't let go of.

Granted, different isn't always great, such as those wonky issues of Captain Marvel.
No.230971
Anonymous
Replies:>>230982
>>230947
Yeah, something about it looks really QUALITY as opposed to just stylized. Like, I get they were trying to make her look weird and quirky, but the way her eyes are drawn just ends up making her look like Quasimodo instead, especially when everyone else has more normal facial proportions.
No.230982
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
>>230971

I would've had no issues with the style if Squirrel Girl didn't look so goddamn deformed. A colorful, damn-near-cartoonish style works for her. But she looks like she's suffering from an allergy, and ye gods it is not pretty. (And it's not like Doreen had to be SUPERMODEL BEAUTIFUL, but drawing her ugly as fucking sin really doesn't jive with me.)
No.230983
Anonymous
>I can´t fap to this, therefore the book is terrible.
No.230984
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
>>230983

That isn’t the goddamn point and you know it. Squirrel Girl has never been drawn as someone who’s drop-dead gorgeous, going all the way back to her first appearance (yargh). Even in her longest sustained storyline appearance to date (the GLA mini), she wasn't drawn as overly attractive or sexy. That's part of what made her an endearing character in the GLA mini and beyond: she was just an average-looking girl with somewhat oddball powers.

The underlying design of Doreen's new look for Unbeatable is perfectly fine and I have no issues with that. The general art style of Unbeatable is perfectly fine for the tone Marvel wants to set with the book and I have no issues with that. But the book's supposed to be carried by Squirrel Girl and I can't even look at her face without thinking "this book could have been drawn so much better". That's not going to help convince me to read further issues, you know? And chances are, it's not going to convince other people to do the same.

So excuse me for having some goddamn standards when it comes to art. I can forgive stylization if there's a point to it or everyone looks equally stylized, but that just isn't the case here.
No.230985
Anonymous
Yeah it isn't about SG looking ugly, its that she looks badly drawn.
No.230986
The Sneaky Tiki
Replies:>>231032
I think it's hurt more by the color chosen for the art than the art itself if you know what I mean?

Like, something about the colors is really unappealing to the eye, it almost looks mat finish.
No.231023
Anonymous
Replies:>>231024
>>230983
Somehow I just knew someone was going to snark and intentionally take this the wrong way. Fucking Tumblr.

But yeah, what Mr Stone said. The point isn't that she looks bad because she isn't a conventional beauty, it's that she looks bad in the sense of "D'oh I placed the eyes too low on the head and fucked up the facial anatomy", especially when everybody else has more natural proportions in comparison. Hence why I used QUALITY in my original post.
No.231024
Anonymous
>>231023
Those features are not out of proportion. They're unattractive, yes, but they are well within the bounds of normal anatomy for an unattractive person.
No.231032
Anonymous
>>230986
Good point. The art style itself I could probably get used to, but the colour scheme is just bizarre. It makes her/the environment look worse than it actually is.
save file
image:141455167300.jpg(355kB , 1020x3320 , 1414525815567.jpg)
GET HYPE

May 1, 2015 - Avengers: Age of Ultron
July 17, 2015 - Ant-Man
May 6, 2016 - Captain America: Civil War
Nov 4, 2016 - Doctor Strange
May 5, 2017 - Guardians of the Galaxy 2
July 28 2017 - Thor: Ragnarok
Nov 3, 2017 - Black Panther
May 4, 2018 - Avengers: Infinity War Part 1
July 6, 2018 - Captain Marvel
Nov 2, 2018 - Inhumans
May 3, 2019 - Avengers: Infinity War Part 2
save file
image:141461310400.png(70kB , 632x363 , throne of money.png)
Replies:>>231144
save file
image:141468436200.jpg(180kB , 612x929 , sK6Olg2.jpg)
>WaitASecAreUTryingToCheatMeAgain.jpg
No.231144
Anonymous
>>231143
Sometimes I just want people to stop paying attention to marvel comics entirely, especially when it concerns spiderman.
Its just going to be a teasing gimmick that leads to them doing something awful and mean-spirited again.
No.231145
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
>>231144

I only pay attention to Marvel movies these days.

Unless Squirrel Girl's involved, in which case I pay enough attention to figure out if I should pay attention.
No.231146
Bunker !OFOzVPOG0g
>>231144
Yea I stopped caring about that the second time they kicked sand in the face of the readers and laughed.
save file
image:141474248500.jpg(270kB , 2140x1786 , tomb_of_dracula_by_blackplague1348-d2zhqt3.jpg)
Marvel should return Dracula back to his classic design. I don't think the Legacy of Kain-look really suits him.
Replies:>>231241
save file
image:141504085000.png(659kB , 880x1760 , cap jojo.png)
>>231221
Eh. I could be more mad. But I'd much prefer some sort of Jojo crossover, nigh impossible as it would be.
No.231238
Mr. Stone !zWb42fBPMM
Replies:>>231390
As long as it isn't fucking Naruto, I’m okay with west/east comic crossovers.
No.231241
Anonymous
>>231222
I could see Joseph fitting into the Marvelverse sorta. Not sure who he'd hang around with though because he's not a bona fide mutant or Inhuman, and what he's doing isn't quite the same as Iron Fist.
No.231246
Anonymous
>>231241
The likes of Blade or other supernatural characters, duh.

I mean... ripple? Whole point is to kill vampires?

Or considering his native time period he could run into cap and the invaders during WW2? Take on Baron Blood?
save file
image:141514160000.png(218kB , 653x1100 , oil em up.png)
>>231241
Well he does look like he's perpetually stuck in the Hawkeye Initiative.
>>231221

I don't know why people get so mad about Attack on Titan.
No.231254
Anonymous
>>231253
Because it is popular and people who dislike it compare it to shows that they enjoyed a lot more and question why Attack on Titan got the attention that they feel their favorite show deserved more.
No.231263
Anonymous
Replies:>>231264
>>231253
Because it's not really that good. Not terrible, just a bit above average. Nothing new, just some kind of EDGY ON PURPOSE(tm) plot on an interesting setting.
But to be fair, the anime is doing a big favor to the badly drawn manga.
Replies:>>231265
save file
image:141520438000.jpg(196kB , 990x765 , Whatever_White_Lantern.jpg)
>>231263

>Because it's not really that good. Not terrible, just a bit above average.

So, it's just like Jojo?

>But to be fair, the anime is doing a big favor to the badly drawn manga.

Yes, it's just like Jojo.
No.231265
Anonymous
>>231264
>Implying JoJo is not top tier manga

Smells like bait, but I'll let it go.
No.231267
Anonymous
>>231253
Popularity is one thing but AFAIK most people hate it because of the terrible fanbase. It's basically like anime's answer to Homestuck or Superwholock, complete with Zutara-level shipping wars, infestation with actual SJW (as in people getting doxxed or bullied off the web for calling Hanji and Nanaba "she" or drawing Ymir with skin lighter than Idris Elba, or more tellingly, just for not liking their favorite homo pairing), husbando/waifuing to levels that are genuinely creepy, and all kinds of other bad behavior one thought was left behind after the original Kingdom Hearts got older.

Also it's funny that people keep recommending the anime and not bothering with the manga when the manga is actually way better and more evenly paced despite the bad art. I still like the series enough to keep following the monthly releases after the anime ended, but it got really irksome when people were constantly screaming in my ear how amazing it is and accusing me of being an unreasonable hater because I said bad things about Mikasa or whatever. Or when even people I don't know all that well would run up to me and tell me I look exactly like Mikasa but with glasses and totally need to cosplay with them. Give me some room, geez.
No.231268
Anonymous
AXIS is so fucking stupid that I don't think even Deadpool, Hobgoblin, and Carnage could save it.
save file
image:141539647600.jpg(135kB , 300x456 , jaxxonback.jpg)
Ha, well played.
Replies:>>231383
save file
image:141566311400.jpg(481kB , 791x1200 , tumblr_nen63qvD7A1qeenqto1_1280.jpg)
Oh wow, check out that dig at /co/ in the bottom left.
No.231383
Autonywork !x4vv0ZYuAo
Replies:>>231384
>>231381
I don't know that it's a dig on /co/ as it is nerds in general. "Social Justice (Warriors)" is a common nerd/geek complaint over many things. Plus complaining about "political correctness" is a bit conservative thing, so it was probably as much a dig at Fox News.
No.231384
Anonymous
>>231383
Man, SJW used to have value as a term. Being a sorta-brownish Asian and very much not white person, I'm pretty fucking tired of listening to people, even other whites themselves, whine to me about how white people caused literally everything bad in the world ever and how "fuck white people, we should just wipe them all out or prevent them from tainting us with intermarriage or cultural mixing" is a totally appropriate response whenever something involving a non-white character doesn't happen exactly the way they want. That attitude's been around for decades but Tumblr made it "hip" and "cool" again so it's ridiculously hard to avoid even when I try.

It was nice having a name to sum up that specific kind of douchebaggery back in the day. Like when they say Bryke are racist shits who "stole" Korra from the brown people and secretly filled the show with subliminal misogyny, or that JK Rowling is Satan incarnate for not letting Blaise Zabini be a big hero and save the day, or homophobic/anti-miscegenation because their OTP didn't happen. I agree though that nowadays it's a dead buzzword that's run its course to the point of useless. Most "SJW"s these days are just regular dudes making perfectly reasonable appeals for diversity and there's nothing wrong with that. They're not bitching about literally nothing or promoting hate in the name of equality like the original SJWs. Those are the kind of people I save the term for in private.
No.231385
Autonywork !x4vv0ZYuAo
>>231384
Words tend to lose meaning over time, or have the meaning completely twisted, especially when they are spread by people who don't understand the origins.

Consider "hackers": Originally this was just someone who would tinker with and put together (or "hack") their own computers. It wasn't a bad or a good thing, it was just a description like "engineer" or "lawyer". These days it's used in common parlance to mean someone who uses computers to do malicious acts, primarily when getting past some sort of security. However, in hardware/software circles it's still a fairly neutral term, still meaning someone who tinkers with stuff. There's some use of that outside of those circles, such as "life hacks", but if I walk up to Joe Average and say I'm a "hacker" they'll try to hide their cell phone.

So goes "Social Justice Warriors" and "Feminism."
No.231386
Anonymous
>>231384
The problem is that when you give hateful bigots a door into your groups by making it seem as if you oppose the general concepts that they do--for example demonizing "social justice warriors"--they will take it as the opportunity to take control of the narrative of your peer group. They will always be the loudest and most obnoxious people in the room, and the loudest and most obnoxious people in a group are the ones that everyone--often even the other members of that group, including the ones who disagree--will assume is the majority opinion of that group.

By allowing them to think their opinions are tolerated, you allow them to take over. Vocally opposing feminism is almost always going to lead to your group being taken over by hard-line MRAs and misogynists, not just the background-noise level misogyny that exists in any group. Vocally opposing social justice is going to attract racists and homophobes to your cause and convince them that they are welcome in your group.

These are the realities of the situation. The things you say have consequences, and among them are changing the tide and the perceived social acceptability of your peer groups. It is why GamerGate is and always will be a hate group no matter how badly the genuinely innocent people who genuinely care only about "Journalistic Integrity" try to convince themselves their group is salvageable.

Sometimes you have to sit back and try to look at yourself and your peer group from a distance and ask yourself, if you're on the same side in an argument as the Ku Klux Klan, regardless of how rational you think the point you're expressing is, are you sure you're taking the right side in the argument?
No.231390
Anonymous
Replies:>>231400
>>231238
Could Naruto even have a crossover if it involved any substantially capable character who isn't a ninja?
No.231400
Anonymous
>>231384
Social Revenge Warrior is a pretty apt way to describe the latter and is harder to shoehorn people into. It doesn't cover the kinds of self-righteous people who invent windmills to get upset over, but they exist in literally every ideology ever. No need for a name besides "oversensitive". Mature people can deal with that on an individual basis.

>>231390
Yakuza or the Silver Samurai?